BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?

Dovahbrah

yep, im in the same situation.

when f2p hits i will be spending all my cartel coins on XP boosts, and will be trying to power level a powertech through warzones. at least i wont have to really grind all the gear again, as i can transfer it through legacy gear

I have my VG with 8 piece WH now. Tactics spec. I like it, but honestly, I still perform better on my Commando than the VG. I think it's the whole melee aspect that I'm not really digging. My VG does take quite a beating before he dies tho. The survivability of Tactics is amazing. I rolled a sniper recently because, even with the extra survivability, I still dislike melee. Sniper is a pretty hard class to learn tho. Gotta find this one Imp on my server who is King of Snipers so I can ask for help.

Hopefully this will all be short lived and in 1.6 they will fix most of the issues with Commandos. I just have this feeling that it will become a bit OP.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the sounds of it it doesn't look like we are going to get anything OP...just an escape mechanism. BS imo.

They should get us back to when it was at first.. People complain about tracer/grav spam ZOMIGAWD!!! Look now ffs. smash crits you for 7k in your face..

They should get us back to when it was at first.. People complain about tracer/grav spam ZOMIGAWD!!! Look now ffs. smash crits you for 7k in your face..

Not really...to get us back to where it was at first we need:

+10 base damage to TM

Make HSM become buffed correctly

Increase DFA to 8m radius again

Unbind interrupt keys on all players

Not really...to get us back to where it was at first we need:

+10 base damage to TM

Make HSM become buffed correctly

Increase DFA to 8m radius again

Unbind interrupt keys on all players

i think you mean +10% damage to TM, which is not needed. i can regularly land crits of 2.5-3k with tracer missile.

HSM is being buffed correctly, previously it was not.

I agree about DFA. Either increase the radius, or reduce the cooldown to 30s

I hope the last one is a troll attempt......

They aren't going to do anything helpful. What I'd like to see is Ironsights add +3% to Accuracy AND +3% to Aim per skill point used. That's a small change, easily programmed and implemented. Nor can one argue that it is overpowered. Gunslingers already have a talent that adds +30% to accuracy. Right now Mercs are screwed because the offhand weapon accuracy is so low that virtually every GCD you are handing an enemy melee a free riposte/retaliation. You are literally doing more damage to yourself than you are to them when you try to fight them. That is broken beyond belief.

Of course they won't fix that. Instead they will give us some minor root/sprint that prevents us from attacking back for 15 seconds. Doh. BW doesn't get it. Their objective is still to reduce Merc dps output, which they consider far too high relative to other subclasses.

i think you mean +10% damage to TM, which is not needed. i can regularly land crits of 2.5-3k with tracer missile.

Why are you stalking me? ReaLynix said put things back the way they were before. That's the way things were before.

Stop trolling me with your obsessive defensiveness about your personal opinions. I think you have made it very clear that you don't think Mercenaries need a damage buff. That's fine. You are allowed to be wrong.

Stop stalking me.

Edited by Phasersablaze

Why are you stalking me? ReaLynix said put things back the way they were before. That's the way things were before.

Stop trolling me with your obsessive defensiveness about your personal opinions. I think you have made it very clear that you don't think Mercenaries need a damage buff. That's fine. You are allowed to be wrong.

Stop stalking me.

:eek:

Spent the day on DK doing some "training excercises." AKA getting into duels with marauders smashjuggs and assassins to learn how to take care of them in the worst circumstances. Most of the time, it came down to whether or not my HSM would trigger a critical hit. Most of the time, it wouldn't, so most of the time I'd end up on the floor.

I'd like to see increased critical chance for HSM per each stack of TM. Anywhere from 2-5% would be pretty awesome. I'm not asking for "Lolinstacritz!" but after they nerfed our passive crit bonus in the healing tree (WHICH btw the Jugg has 6% again. LOL so much for the "Across the board adjustment" BS) getting HSM to say hello is just far more difficult than it should be. With what seems to be a math adjustment to damage across the board, mercs damage potential is despicably low.

I'd say that mainly comes from not getting enough critical hits, alot of not being able to cast tracer missile to set up large hits in arsenal, and pyro just all around being nerfed repeatedly and senselessly(PS nerf, being forced to sit there to cast PPA proc moves, unload only having a chance to proc once, snare redux, and critical adjustments).

Give back the 10% damage you took off of power shot. Increase the damage numbers on railshot, or give it a bigger penetration buff. Do SOMETHING for a class that you've been maligning since 1.2 for no reason other than you don't know what you're doing. Because just noticing they suffer from escape issues is the dumbest thing I've heard all day. Duh. Everyone knew that before 1.2. They just didn't bind their interrupt key until after it.

Edited by Azrienov

Sadly it was not, he does this in every thread.

Spent the day on DK doing some "training excercises." AKA getting into duels with marauders smashjuggs and assassins to learn how to take care of them in the worst circumstances. Most of the time, it came down to whether or not my HSM would trigger a critical hit. Most of the time, it wouldn't, so most of the time I'd end up on the floor.

I'd like to see increased critical chance for HSM per each stack of TM. Anywhere from 2-5% would be pretty awesome. I'm not asking for "Lolinstacritz!" but after they nerfed our passive crit bonus in the healing tree (WHICH btw the Jugg has 6% again. LOL so much for the "Across the board adjustment" BS) getting HSM to say hello is just far more difficult than it should be. With what seems to be a math adjustment to damage across the board, mercs damage potential is despicably low.

I'd say that mainly comes from not getting enough critical hits, alot of not being able to cast tracer missile to set up large hits in arsenal, and pyro just all around being nerfed repeatedly and senselessly(PS nerf, being forced to sit there to cast PPA proc moves, unload only having a chance to proc once, snare redux, and critical adjustments).

Give back the 10% damage you took off of power shot. Increase the damage numbers on railshot, or give it a bigger penetration buff. Do SOMETHING for a class that you've been maligning since 1.2 for no reason other than you don't know what you're doing. Because just noticing they suffer from escape issues is the dumbest thing I've heard all day. Duh. Everyone knew that before 1.2. They just didn't bind their interrupt key until after it.

Good suggestions. Bump for justice because this is still an ongoing issue and needs to be addressed immediately. 1.6 is not soon enough, hotfix this preposterously dysfunctional, broken and unplayable class.

Good suggestions. Bump for justice because this is still an ongoing issue and needs to be addressed immediately. 1.6 is not soon enough, hotfix this preposterously dysfunctional, broken and unplayable class.

I doubt they'll hotfix it now only because I suspect 1.6 is going to be a massive PVP-focused update.

6 weeks from 1.5 (which is November 15) will put us pretty much at the end of December/early January, which is exactly the anniversary of update 1.1 -- for those of you that weren't there, it's the update that Bioware broke Ilum (worse than it was). Bioware has already said they want to celebrate the debacle with a world event, and that would conincide nicely with when Patch 1.6 would be due. Also due in 1.6 is a new warzone, the Elite War Hero armor set, and presumably Season 1 of ranked warzones with a rating reset.

I also think that with Season 1 Bioware will also be doing a large round of class balancing, and they've already highlighted that Commando/Mercenary will be receiving something in the survivability department, the stun bubble of Sorc/Sage is getting a review, and unless Bioware is truly malicious, Smash/Sweep is 'overperforming' and a nerf is most likely imminent (I hope it's on the caliber of the nerfs which hit ''overperforming' healers in 1.2, but I'm just vengeful like that). And maybe, just maybe, Bioware will cap it all off with Ilum open world PvP which they planned to have back online by the end of 2012 and the ever illusive ranked PvP cross queue may even make an appearance now that they've stepped up their server technologies.

Edited by SpaniardInfinity

I doubt they'll hotfix it now only because I suspect 1.6 is going to be a massive PVP-focused update.

6 weeks from 1.5 (which is November 15) will put us pretty much at the end of December/early January, which is exactly the anniversary of update 1.1 -- for those of you that weren't there, it's the update that Bioware broke Ilum (worse than it was). Bioware has already said they want to celebrate the debacle with a world event, and that would conincide nicely with when Patch 1.6 would be due. Also due in 1.6 is a new warzone, the Elite War Hero armor set, and presumably Season 1 of ranked warzones with a rating reset.

I also think that with Season 1 Bioware will also be doing a large round of class balancing, and they've already highlighted that Commando/Mercenary will be receiving something in the survivability department, the stun bubble of Sorc/Sage is getting a review, and unless Bioware is truly malicious, Smash/Sweep is 'overperforming' and a nerf is most likely imminent (I hope it's on the caliber of the nerfs which hit ''overperforming' healers in 1.2, but I'm just vengeful like that). And maybe, just maybe, Bioware will cap it all off with Ilum open world PvP which they planned to have back online by the end of 2012 and the ever illusive ranked PvP cross queue may even make an appearance now that they've stepped up their server technologies.

That makes sense and I sincerely hope you're right. PvP is almost there but needs a few more balance changes, most notably the ones you mentioned.

Edited by LeonHawkeye

There is still so much to do before those desirable items you mentioned can come to pass successfully.

Season 1 of rwz w/o x-server queues is pointless.

The new wz is broken because of how stealth classes work. 4 operatives, 4 assassins - kill two players each time your team comes out of stealth, and then when node fight happens, fight it out with your 8v6 advantage. Automatic win.

So what happens when they fix merc/commando, nerf sage/sorc bubble, nerf smash/sweep? Is it back to QQ nerf Mara's/Sent's?

i hope not.

assuming bioware actually makes the appropriate balance changes, they shouldnt need to make any more. im sure there will always be QQ threads, but hopefully bioware stops listening to them once there is actual balance

Thank you for the post.

I also appreciate the interrupt ability but what burned me the most is the 10m cyro grenade nerf. Like we would be too powerful with an interrupt that they had to scale us down a bit. :D

I almost go into a rage when my bulky armored body can be grappled 30 meters against gravity into a fire pit, but I can't throw a one pound grenade the same distance.

Ahhh, I guess the laws of physics never did apply to Star Wars anyway.

Long story short (too late) I do really appreciate your post and thought is was well said.

Hi everyone! I talked to Austin Peckenpaugh (Senior Designer) about Commandos and Mercenaries and their situation in PvP right now, and he had this to say:

I think it's fair to say that Mercenaries and Commandos have escape issues. Admittedly, they can be very hard to catch when used correctly to hug corners, but a lot of that "escapability" falls aside when attacked by multiple melee enemies, at which point they just aren't quite tough enough to sustain without further escapes. We have plans for the future that should give Mercenaries and Commandos better escapes in PvP.

Dear Developers, you do realize that mercs and commandos are a DPS class correct? How does upping our survivability help with DPS? Also, I would imagine any class would have issues surviving when multiple targets attack them. This thought process is the real reason why you guys are failing to make the needed changed this game needs for pvp. I can't wait to see the next warrior buff.

thats all you took away from that?

yes, you cannot interrupt an instant. casting while moving would still leave us vulnerable to interrupts, which is part of the problem with merc. as far as mobility, 6 of one, half a dozen of another, which is what i was refering to.

instant cast is the optimal solution here. merc has no mobility/limited mobility in its DPS specs. in both specs, it is woefully vulnerable to interrupts. instant cast tracer missile and power shot solves both of those problems, which will allow merc to put up a fight against the hordes of melee/hybrid melee players that are out there.

one change, and bioware could alleviate a lot of the headaches merc players have

edit: i just did rateds for the first time in a long time. enemy team was fully comprised of melee classes. absolutely nothing i could do against the endless chain of leaps, interrupts, roots, and crapload of CC. staying out of melee range is impossible, which make casting impossible without ensuring your imminent death

Honestly (and I'm not trying to bash you in any way), I think making tracer missile an instant cast is a terrible idea. Here is my reason why: every class in the game can have important casted abilities interrupted (minus ravage, but if you're smart you'll just stun or kb a ravage). Interrupting TM is a reward to smart players. I cannot tell you how many times I've been casting TM, and my target didn't even bother to interrupt it; they got what they deserved, I'll leave it at that. If someone interrupts TM we are, for the most part, shut down. But the thing is, other classes can be shut down too. If you stun/knockback a carnage mara who just used gore, they're screwed. I'm not looking to make our class OP, I'm only looking for us to be on par with the other classes. But, I can agree with an instant cast power shot, and here's why: pyrotech. Pyrotech pyrotech pyrotech. It is very obvious that Arsenal has problems mobility wise, but it is also obvious that merc pyros are lacking the burst our pyro pt brothers have. Making powershot instant cast would give pyro mercs an instant ability to proc super heated rail, and add mobility to both specs. For this reason, I would recommend replacing the first tier pyrotech skill that increases alacrity (I can't remember the name of it, I'm on my phone) with a 2 point 1/2 second cast time reduction on powershot, making it instant cast. That way, both Arsenal and Pyrotechs have a chance to get that instant cast powershot, and would finally give pyrotechs a useful 1st tier talent besides the armor pen. for unload and rail shot. I play both dps specs, so I know that this would help both (I would also recommend improving the snare from cgc in the pyro tree). With this instant powershot, both specs can do damage on the run, and pyrotechs have an instant way of procing rs, bringing our burst more on par with pt's. It also benefits Arsenal mercs because if tracer missile gets interrupted, you can shoot off a couple powershots to proc barrage, and continue your damage. It seems I've gone on and on about this whole instant cast thing, so I just want to add that I fully support the addition of an escape ability, as it is much needed. Just my opinion, feel free to let me know what you think of it.

Edited by mandoforlife

Honestly (and I'm not trying to bash you in any way), I think making tracer missile an instant cast is a terrible idea. Here is my reason why: every class in the game can have important casted abilities interrupted (minus ravage). Interrupting TM is a reward to smart players. I cannot tell you how many times I've been casting TM, and my target didn't even bother to interrupt it; they got what they deserved, I'll leave it at that. If someone interrupts TM we are, for the most part, shut down. But the thing is, other classes can be shut down too. If you stun/knockback a carnage mara who just used gore, they're screwed. I'm not looking to make our class OP, I'm only looking for us to be on par with the other classes. But, I can agree with an instant cast power shot, and here's why: pyrotech. Pyrotech pyrotech pyrotech. It is very obvious that Arsenal has problems mobility wise, but it is also obvious that merc pyros are lacking the burst our pyro pt brothers have. Making powershot instant cast would give pyro mercs an instant ability to proc super heated rail, and add mobility to both specs. For this reason, I would recommend replacing the first tier pyrotech skill that increases alacrity (I can't remember the name of it, I'm on my phone) with a 2 point 1/2 second cast time reduction on powershot, making it instant cast. That way, both Arsenal and Pyrotechs have a chance to get that instant cast powershot, and would finally give pyrotechs a useful 1st tier talent besides the armor pen. for unload and rail shot. I play both dps specs, so I know that this would help both (I would also recommend improving the snare from cgc in the pyro tree). With this instant powershot, both specs can do damage on the run, and pyrotechs have an instant way of procing rs, bringing our burst more on par with pt's. It also benefits Arsenal mercs because if tracer missile gets interrupted, you can shoot off a couple powershots to proc barrage, and continue your damage. It seems I've gone on and on about this whole instant cast thing, so I just want to add that I fully support the addition of an escape ability, as it is much needed. Just my opinion, feel free to let me know what you think of it.

I'd much rather see explosive round get incorporated into the assault tree than charged bolts. It's already instant, and maybe lower it's ammo cost to 2, and make it proc high impact bolt instead of charged bolts.

Honestly (and I'm not trying to bash you in any way), I think making tracer missile an instant cast is a terrible idea. Here is my reason why: every class in the game can have important casted abilities interrupted (minus ravage, but if you're smart you'll just stun or kb a ravage). Interrupting TM is a reward to smart players. I cannot tell you how many times I've been casting TM, and my target didn't even bother to interrupt it; they got what they deserved, I'll leave it at that. If someone interrupts TM we are, for the most part, shut down.

Course, if Grav Round/Tracer Missile was instant they would just move on to interrupting Full Auto/Unload.

Interrupting a single ability should not immediately shut down a class. However, that is what interrupting Grav Round/Tracer Missile does since so many of our abilities are tied to it.

Make GR/TM instant and reduce its damage and either 1: Up the damage of our other abilities to make up for it, or 2: Return the proc possibility of CoF/Barrage back to 3 seconds instead of 6.

Course, if Grav Round/Tracer Missile was instant they would just move on to interrupting Full Auto/Unload.

Interrupting a single ability should not immediately shut down a class. However, that is what interrupting Grav Round/Tracer Missile does since so many of our abilities are tied to it.

Make GR/TM instant and reduce its damage and either 1: Up the damage of our other abilities to make up for it, or 2: Return the proc possibility of CoF/Barrage back to 3 seconds instead of 6.

this. this exactly :D

Mercs need to stick together. Dont mention instant Tracer Missile without also suggesting instant Power Shots. It may seem obvious to us but lets not take any chances!