Reverse Engineering Algorithm

Draaconis

Has anyone else noticed the spotty reverse engineering schematics? I have REd 20 green level 31 fortitude crystals and gotten nothing and then turned around a REd 2 31 enhancements and gotten the blue schematic. It tells you there is a 20% chance, but I think the algorithm is broken. Maybe they need to up the percentage.

1. Is there a consumable to improve crafting success/crit?

2. Does location matter?

3. Does having certain windows like GTM or the bank matter?

4. Does being in/out of an instance matter?

5. Does being on ship/planet/space station matter?

Please apply these same questions to getting purple Underwold Metals, Treasure Hunting Gemstones, etc. Their becoming a pain too.

Has anyone else noticed the spotty reverse engineering schematics? I have REd 20 green level 31 fortitude crystals and gotten nothing and then turned around a REd 2 31 enhancements and gotten the blue schematic. It tells you there is a 20% chance, but I think the algorithm is broken. Maybe they need to up the percentage.

1. Is there a consumable to improve crafting success/crit?

2. Does location matter?

3. Does having certain windows like GTM or the bank matter?

4. Does being in/out of an instance matter?

5. Does being on ship/planet/space station matter?

Please apply these same questions to getting purple Underwold Metals, Treasure Hunting Gemstones, etc. Their becoming a pain too.

There is nothing consumable to impove crafting at this time.

Location doesn't matter as to where you RE anything in game.

Having windows doesn't help either.

Being in or out of an instance doesn't help either.

Being on a ship or where ever doesn't help craft neither.

What will help you ask? I will tell you. Get 5 to 10 of any 1 item start RE all of them one at a time, That's how you will get a purple schematic outside of that, cross your fingers and do a lot of hopping to get lucky, cause it's not easy. btw am sorry if all of this seems like bad news, its just how things are and have been it's a rough business crafting, just wait until you get to 50 it only get's harder lol

What will help you ask? I will tell you. Get 5 to 10 of any 1 item start RE all of them one at a time, That's how you will get a purple schematic outside of that, cross your fingers and do a lot of hopping to get lucky, cause it's not easy. btw am sorry if all of this seems like bad news, its just how things are and have been it's a rough business crafting, just wait until you get to 50 it only get's harder lol

great advice here.

do what he said with 5-10 at one time.

The proverb, "a watched pot never boils," applies here.

For a long time I ran missions just to run them. I figured I had the credits just sitting doing nothing so I started stockpiling materials. I only did the abundant quality missions from grade 6 and only bountiful or rich missions from all other grades. And for a LONG time it seemed like every other day I was getting crits on EVERYTHING - including Advanced Neural Augmentors and Mandalorian Iron i.e. I would run missions over night and when I logged back in two of the three grade 6 slicing missions would generate ANAs (and schematics).

But then I fell short of Polyplast (the secondary grade 5 scavenged compound) and all of a sudden I was not getting nearly enough. My Cybertech skill floundered for a while because all the schematics required Polyplast and I was unwilling to pay for it on the GTM.

The point is the system is working as intended. However, you believe it is not because something you really want to have happen is not happening.

great advice here.

do what he said with 5-10 at one time.

This is actually bad advice. Other than for convenience's sake, you want to RE one at a time. Otherwise you will end up with an excess of lower quality items if you happen to succeed earlier (if you craft 5 and suceed in the first try for example). The expected number of tries is the same whether you do 5 at a time or 1 at a time.

As others have said, Working As Intended. Probably. Definitely Working As Designed. Whether the design team intended to be as sadistic as this process is, is a completely different issue.

It's like giving little kids knives to play with. Sharp ones. They get the general idea of it, but neither the kids nor the idiots who gave the kids the knives in the first place are thinking about issues of time or scale. What a 20% chance to succeed in an RE means is an 80% chance you will fail precisely the next time you try. It never includes two tries later, or three, or ninety-three. 93 fails on a 10% item is what I got once -- I've had worse, but this was the best for actual record keeping.

To get a string of 93 failures at a 10% chance in a row is so improbable, it calculates out to a 56 in 1 Million chance. That's a binomial probability for a string of related events, not the simple probability of your very next event. This game does not even have 1 million players to try to simulate that, that is how bad things can get.

But the devs just keep on playing with knives, not knowing the first thing about them.

As others have said, Working As Intended. Probably. Definitely Working As Designed. Whether the design team intended to be as sadistic as this process is, is a completely different issue.

It's like giving little kids knives to play with. Sharp ones. They get the general idea of it, but neither the kids nor the idiots who gave the kids the knives in the first place are thinking about issues of time or scale. What a 20% chance to succeed in an RE means is an 80% chance you will fail precisely the next time you try. It never includes two tries later, or three, or ninety-three. 93 fails on a 10% item is what I got once -- I've had worse, but this was the best for actual record keeping.

To get a string of 93 failures at a 10% chance in a row is so improbable, it calculates out to a 56 in 1 Million chance. That's a binomial probability for a string of related events, not the simple probability of your very next event. This game does not even have 1 million players to try to simulate that, that is how bad things can get.

But the devs just keep on playing with knives, not knowing the first thing about them.

56/1m = 1 in 18,000, which isn't that hard to believe given the game has held 1m subs for multiple months.

This is actually bad advice. Other than for convenience's sake, you want to RE one at a time. Otherwise you will end up with an excess of lower quality items if you happen to succeed earlier (if you craft 5 and suceed in the first try for example). The expected number of tries is the same whether you do 5 at a time or 1 at a time.

Yes, ideally you'd save a lot of mats by doing it 1 by 1. But the burnt out from the whole RE process if you do that, man....

If you're actually playing that toon, well, maybe is not a big deal stoping your questing/daily/whatever to RE one item. But if you're not, what ? You're going to relog every 5,10, 15 minutes to give it one shot at it ? Assuming that can ofc. ( Don't think your guildies will take kindly the fact your stoppin everything to RE stuff on another toon ). Getting the correct 2nd prefix crafting one item at a time is a dreadful thought tbh. And spare blue items aren't a waste. They sell everytime.

It's more than a "convenience". It's about sanity, lol

I tend to do this when I am crafting while online, especially green quality looking for blue. I setup one or two companions to craft one green item and as they come in I RE them. If I get the blue schematic I want I cancel the rest.

That being said, I do often kick off a bunch of crafting before I log at night, especially blue quality. Since the RE chance is halved and there are more purple schematics to get (for synthweaving and armormech), I am confident that having ten waiting for me will not result in "wasted" materials.

• 2 months later...

I used to gather 5-10 modifications at a time to get an end game schematic eventually, never succeeded. In 1 year I've yet to get one single successful schem drom from end game modifications. What exactly do I have to do to get a schematic drop from columni/rakata grade modifications? This morning I had after a time of gathering to seek to prove if it is at all doable, and in a fit or rage I re:ed 30-35 mods in a row, hoping to get at least 1 schematic drop. Result, not a single schematic drop. Which mods are Reverse Engineerable exactly? How can others craft end game level mods when I keep failing to RE even one modification? From the 100s of mods I've re:ed over the year I've played, I would think I should have got at least some schematics, dont you think?

I used to gather 5-10 modifications at a time to get an end game schematic eventually, never succeeded. In 1 year I've yet to get one single successful schem drom from end game modifications. What exactly do I have to do to get a schematic drop from columni/rakata grade modifications? This morning I had after a time of gathering to seek to prove if it is at all doable, and in a fit or rage I re:ed 30-35 mods in a row, hoping to get at least 1 schematic drop. Result, not a single schematic drop. Which mods are Reverse Engineerable exactly? How can others craft end game level mods when I keep failing to RE even one modification? From the 100s of mods I've re:ed over the year I've played, I would think I should have got at least some schematics, dont you think?

Neither Columi nor Rakata gear can be REed for schematics. Did you really try and do 35 of them in a row?

Black Hole / Campaign / Dread Guard / Hazmat gear can be REed for schems.

Neither Columi nor Rakata gear can be REed for schematics. Did you really try and do 35 of them in a row?

Black Hole / Campaign / Dread Guard / Hazmat gear can be REed for schems.

And the armorings can only be REd if they're not bound to slot.

Read the tooltip next time, it will state your RE chance or say "no research available".

Read the tooltip next time, it will state your RE chance or say "no research available".

For sure! I find it a bit annoying that dropped gear tends not to be reverse-engeineerable, but so it goes. At least the tool tip on the item does tell you whether you have a chance to earn a schematic!

For sure! I find it a bit annoying that dropped gear tends not to be reverse-engeineerable, but so it goes. At least the tool tip on the item does tell you whether you have a chance to earn a schematic!

Indeed, the joke is on me who thought that since they are worse than the lvl 26 and 27 items they'd be RE:able. Have not seen any mods drop at end game that allows for RE, and since the only mods I can buy are the armorings. It did not say it was RE:able either by the way, bought it to check. So it is then complete and utterly useless to pick any crafting skill except biochem for future reference then. From what I have read about next version of the game, crew skills will be even more nerfed and there will be no point whatsoever to pursue a crafting career other than blue levelling gear that will probably always see a demand.

Good to know Bioware, good to know...