Best Voice Acting?

Jerav

Some thoughts:

Both agent voices are great. The male one just fits an agent so well. It's like he never has to raise his voice, even when intimidating others. Great flirts too. Female is great as well. Planning on leveling up a female sniper just to enjoy the voice acting more. Overall I think the agent has my two favorite voice actors in the game. What also makes them great is that they sometimes drop the accent when going undercover. It's a nice little touch.

SW male I also like. I don't quite like him when going lightside, but that may just be because I'm playing a mostly DS character and can't quite picture him as good. He does the crazy DS stuff well, though I prefer the more subtle approach to evil, and ended up not picking most of the "stupidly evil" choices. His last class quest moments are the most fantastic moments in any story I've played so far, and it mostly comes down to how awesome he sounds when given great lines.

Both Inquisitor voices I'm kind of indifferent about. Female is alright, but leaves no impact, and the male I actually dislike quite a bit. Maybe it's just the heavy accent, I dunno, but I don't like it at all. His voice is what kept me from rolling a sorc as my first character, so I should actually be thankful, because my Jugg ended up being the perfect choice.

All the Jedi male voices are too bland and boring to me. Same goes for Consular female. I like the JK female voice, though I couldn't imagine her going darkside. As the great hero of the game she is good. Actually has some emotion behind her speech.

Commander Shepard is good. Haven't played her past coruscant though, so maybe the complaints in this thread are valid, but I would still pick the female voice any day.

Female Smuggler hasn't gotten so much as a mention is this thread I think, but I really like her. She's just so very funny, and the voice doesn't sound forced at all, unlike the male smuggler voice. Great lines and great delivery. Check out some comedy compilations in youtube or something, and you're bound to love her.

BH male is like I'd imagine a BH to sound. It's not really "good", but it is entertaining, and fits my BH well.

The only two classes I can't find a voice I really like are the Inquisitor and Consular classes, which are actually mirrors of each other. Weird. Inq female is decent though, but the other 3 voices I just can't get into at all.

Edited by Boissi

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know the male IA doesn't seem to be one of the more popular ones, but it's my favorite. I have two level 50 agents, so I better well like it, lol.

I also love the female Bounty Hunter. The male BH always sounds too scripted to me.

Male Smuggler is awesome as well, makes me think a little of Malcom Reynalds.

i thought the male IA voice was excellent across the board. I liked him dropping into a soft american accent when he was playing a role, thought that was as good as his normal Imperial/British.

Female bounty hunter (grey delisle?) she was great as well - suited the money driven mercenary imo.

The Male SI - seems pretty good... but hes got a very deep voice and my SI is a tiny chap so the voice doesnt match the character to some extend. Thats as much my fault i suppose

Male Warrior im a little disappointed by. The actor is good but i was expecting some deep booming voice. The character is based off Darth Vader after all, i was hoping to have some guy whos voice rattles the bones of everyone in the vicinity whenever he speaks.

Male Jedi Kinght - suited to the role but my conversation choices and the character itself dont really give the VA much of a chance to shine imo.

Edited by AgrippAA

As a poster above said I too must be one of the few who likes the Male IA voice.....played as body type 1 (my toon) the speech is classic Empire, controlled precise and a bit psychotic.

It certainly wouldn't work as a body 3 or 4 it would just appear "off".

Favorite is the Female Inquisitor sassy, sarcastic just enough evil to tease the light and dark side..../drool.

I haven't tried the Female IA so many people have mention it I'll have to test one.

Deleted my Female Bounty Hunter almost immediately upon hearing her speak.

Both Male Inquisitor and Warrior sounded good but a little cliche in their evilness same for their counterparts on the Republic side....they fit the characters but meh not my cup of blue milk.

I haven't worked on my Gunslinger in a while but voice was okay....the writing was excellent so many funny lines.

• 4 weeks later...
Here's how I would rank the ones I've used. Top is the favorite, bottom = least favorite.

Sith Warrior(Male) - Alistair from Dragon Age/Dragon Age 2. Fits well with lightside, hilarious as darkside. The lines suit the voice very well.

Sith Inquisitor(Male) - Even when lightside, still bestows a bit of a chill to his voice/demeanor. It's not who I would pick for a voice actor(personally, I would choose Simon Templeman(Kain fromLegacy of Kain or Loghain Mac-Tir from Dragon Age), or Frank Welker(Malebolgia from Spawn, Emperor Krulos from Dino Riders(yeah, I'm that old to remember the cartoon and the toys)).

Bounty Hunter(Female) - Fits nicely with the same voice actress who does Female Shepard from Mass Effect games.

Imperial Agent(Female) - Just has that cloak and dagger aura come forth in her lines, regardless of her alignment.

Bounty Hunter(Male) - In my opinion, if you're going to use the same voice actor who did Oghren in the Dragon Age games, I would've used that style and sounding for the Bounty Hunter, instead of having it feel too much like Spike from Cowboy Bebop(which would've suited the Smuggler better).

Spike from cowboy Bebop plays Andronikus Revel from the Sith Inquisitor Story line. The Male SI is by far the coolest so far

Imperial:

SW:

Male: 9

Female: 7

SI:

Male: 8

Female: 4

IA:

Male: 20

Female: 20

BH:

Male: 6

Female: 8

Republic:

JK:

Female: 2

Smuggler:

Female: 10

Trooper:

Female: 6

JC:

Male: 1

Male BH is super cool when you hear it for the first time, then it begins to sound like you're gagging on something, so I rerolled Female.

Female BH: JUST rerolled, haven't actually listened to her yet... :o

Male Consular: You have GOT to be kidding me, just.... no. REROLL. (Plus nothing looks good on a male Consular)

Female Consular: Actually good once you get into it a bit, not the greatest, but good.

Male Knight: Sucks unless you go DS (which I did), then starts becoming an amazingly bad a.

Female Knight: I went through Taris and Nar Shaddaa with a FemJK friend, so I can justifiably say that even though the school girl thing gets old (she sounds like she just learned what the dark side is 15 seconds ago), make her darker and she'll go all sociopath on you, like GOOD sociopath. Fun to listen to.

Female IA: This voice is a warm chocolate brownie with vanilla ice cream. Jo Wyatt makes me smile and she does not disappoint here, no matter your alignment. Kinda reminds me of Mara Jade, not to mention my IA looks exactly like Mara Jade :p. She comes off seductive, manipulative and in control here.

Male Warrior: He can be a really good LSer, fun to play for me.

Female Inquisitor: DS, one of the most arrogant women you've EVER met, LS: Still one of the most arrogant women you've ever met. The voice just FITS, especially later on. Weird sounding with a Twi'lek though in my opinion, even though a Twi'lek FemInquistor is supposed to be awesome.

Male Trooper: Damn good, he comes off like the hero you expect him to be, and often MUCH more so than any Jedi counterpart.

Male Smuggler: Fun, super fun. Too bad that the story goes a bit downhill after the Prologue, but still fun. Amazing if you want to get into one-night stands ;).

Overall my favourite has to be the Female IA. I was lucky enough to have her as my first gun-toting character, I did not miss the lightsaber one bit.:jawa_tongue:

Edited by Maullum

Here's how I would rank the ones I've used. Top is the favorite, bottom = least favorite.

Sith Warrior(Male) - Alistair from Dragon Age/Dragon Age 2. Fits well with lightside, hilarious as darkside. The lines suit the voice very well.

Bounty Hunter(Female) - Fits nicely with the same voice actress who does Female Shepard from Mass Effect games.

Bounty Hunter(Male) - In my opinion, if you're going to use the same voice actor who did Oghren in the Dragon Age games, I would've used that style and sounding for the Bounty Hunter, instead of having it feel too much like Spike from Cowboy Bebop(which would've suited the Smuggler better).

Incorrect on all three counts, I'm afraid, though all three voice actors' names were speculated before the game was released.

The Sith Warrior was voiced by Mark Bazeley rather than Steve Valentine (Alistair). Bazeley did pretty well. He also actually did some minor voices in Awakenings and DA2.

The female Bounty Hunter was voiced by Grey Delisle, who among other things did the most recent video game Catwoman and Azula from Avatar: The Last Airbender. Jennifer Hale, aka FemShep, did the female Trooper.

The male Bounty Hunter, though Steve Blum himself has said he can understand the confusion from the similarity, was done by one Tom Spackman.

I didn't care for the femAgent that much, but the male Agent was spectacular. Sophisticated, expressive, couched in power with a thousand little flourishes of breath and tone that just made every line pop. 10/10.

I love the male Jedi Knight (David Hayter). Playing as a straight LS guy, that calm steady voice was wonderful, and there was still genuine warmth and clearly-heard smiles for many lines. 8/10.

FemSmuggler was amazing. Perky, snarky, just slightly scratchy, always lively. Wonderful. 10/10.

FemWarrior had this tough command at all times. Good for the character, even when I personally wasn't feeling that harda**. 9/10.

I dislike the female Inquisitor. She sounds like she's been drugged and is half asleep. Sometimes it hits "languid arrogance," but overall it just fails to capture me. 3/10.

Male Trooper is solidly okay. Nothing brilliant, I thought, but nothing bad. 5/10.

I didn't care for the femAgent that much, but the male Agent was spectacular. Sophisticated, expressive, couched in power with a thousand little flourishes of breath and tone that just made every line pop. 10/10.

Agree here and QFT. The male Agent stands head and shoulders above the pack as the most distinct and expressive voice. The female Agent sounds insincere, with a forced flirtiness that becomes grating and monotonous after a few levels. I do like the female Inquisitor though: the languid delivery oozes with decadence and implied threat.

Most of the rest are workmanlike and just fine but not striking. The one I can't stand is the female Trooper, which I know will spark howls from the "femShep" fans. I got sick enough of listening to her cliched G. I. Jane delivery to reroll as a male.

The one I can't stand is the female Trooper, which I know will spark howls from the "femShep" fans. I got sick enough of listening to her cliched G. I. Jane delivery to reroll as a male.

Agree, although I'm the type to say every performance is different. Just because FemShep was awesome or suckish, it does not mean that FemTrooper will be awesome or suckish respectively. I do a bit of Voice Acting too (amateur style I guess) and I tend to think that each of my performances should be regarded seperately. I may rock as a lion pride leader, but I know for a fact I am extremely weak as a gangster. Different performances, different results.

The male Agent stands head and shoulders above the pack as the most distinct and expressive voice.

The male Agent was one of two characters where I enjoyed not knowing exactly what was going to come out of my mouth after I selected a conversation option. Because whatever was about to happen, I knew it was going to be awesome. (FemSmuggler had this effect, too.)

Now, I'm female, I'm straight, and within ten minutes of rolling this guy and listening to his voice I was thinking "I think I'm sexually attracted to myself." Which is kind of awkward, but whatever. The male Agent sounds like a fascinating man.

I don't like, previously detested, the female inquisitor because it sounds cocky and posh; not creepy. But I can see why others do like it. To make it more creepy I'd prefer an other accent which would be more dark, deeper sounding tho I am not sure which accent. If you look at D3 the voice actors of the 5 classes each give a distinctive accent and sound which can really make or break the player's love for playing that character.

In my case it made me roll republic instead of empire. Tho I later made an assassin again.

The female consular was alright (I went light side here). I don't remember her dark side voice though.

I prefer the female imperial agent. Everything is right about this voice, and also the class story is BiS (I went light side here). PS: For me, Jo Wyatt as voice actor is from now on a selling point for a game. If she is voice actor in a game I'd more likely buy that game (and if appropriate, play that character).

The female bounty hunter also fits well (I went dark side here).

Imperial:

SW:

SI:

Female: 4

IA:

Male: 20

Female: 20

BH:

Male: 6

Female: 8

Republic:

JK:

Female: 2

Smuggler:

Female: 10

Trooper:

Female: 6

JC:

Male: 1

I'd say this is 90% accurate with my own views, with my only change being the female SI from 4 to 9.

Best in show for female? IA

Runner Ups: SI / Smuggler

Best in show for male? JK

Runner Up: IA / SW

I'll just run down the char's I've leveled a bit:

Sith Warrior (male): 10. It really works as a DS warrior. You sound like you have all the confidence in the world and that every single person you're talking to is beneath you. Which they are. Because you're Sith.

Sith Inquisitor (female): 7. It's ok but at times it sounds like she's trying too hard to be dark and devious. Note that the more sinister she tries to sound the slower she talks.

Bounty Hunter (male): 10. The Sith Warrior's voice was surprising the first time I heard it and I liked it. The BH's voice is EXACTLY what I thought of the first time I heard him say something. It also fits him.

Jedi Knight (female): 9. It's tougher to do lighter side characters because there's no "edge" to them. That's why it works here. She has a heroic but unassuming voice which also suits the character well.

Edited by Xeres-

Now, I'm female, I'm straight, and within ten minutes of rolling this guy and listening to his voice I was thinking "I think I'm sexually attracted to myself." Which is kind of awkward, but whatever. The male Agent sounds like a fascinating man.

Sometimes I read your posts and wonder if you are me, because I totally had that same awkward realization that I sort of found my male IA hot.

Even so, manquisitor all the way for "best voice actor." Everything he says is pure, solid gold.

Male SW: I rate him at an 8. While he still has that cold stoicism that I enjoyed with the female SW, he pulls off being dry so much better. He made me giggle pretty hard when he would play off of Vette's presence.

Female SW: I rate her at a 9. They did a great job of putting in that cold aristocratic voice. However, when I would pick the more "snarky" answers, the SW female came off as rude rather than dry. Even at DS V, she sounds more calculating than crazy to me.

Male Inq: I rate at a 3. I honestly wasn't compelled by that voice, and it really seemed almost sleepily rather than crazy or conniving. I rerolled within 2 levels, because I didn't feel like that voice went with that story.

Female Inq: I rate at a 10. So far, this is my favorite female voice in the game. The reason why is because I love the nearly snake-like way she rounds out her words. I thought it really fit with a beautiful yet insane Force user raised as a slave. I was left with the impression that the common man wouldn't know if she was going to kiss him or kill him. To me, that voice really set the tone for the rest of the story.

Male BW: I haven't had a lot of experience with this, so there isn't a rating here. However, I will say the times that I have heard him didn't really stand out to me one way or the other.

Female BW: I'll go with another 8. The grittiness and jaded tones of her voice also fit her story. For me, I got a great impression of what her story would be like the first time I heard her voice. However, some times it sounds flat when it shouldn't.

Male JK: I rate it at a 3-5. It depends upon the scene and the dialogue choices. While I enjoy the voice well enough, I really hate the bland way he delivers some of his more "goody-two-shoe" lines. It hasn't been until after level 40 that I was hearing any sort of real emotion from the VA, outside of the companion quests with Kira.

Female JK: I rate it at a 6. While I feel there is a lot more life in the voice, as well as emotion, the delivery of the do-gooder lines feels very forced to me. In the case with both JKs, I'm not sure if it's the voice, or the delivery of the lines that can turn me off.

Male Smuggler/Female Smuggler: I rate at a 9. I really got the sense of wonder and adventure that the VAs of both genders of Smugglers managed to inspire in me. These were far from my first characters too. They managed to put in the dry smart-alecked sense of nothing to lose with a lot of heart. Or darkness depending upon your point of view. While I think the female is very slightly better, both of them fulfill the picture I'd always had of a smuggler in this galaxy. It doesn't hurt that I had a crush on Han Solo as a kid. :o

Male IA: Another 8. I know he's not a favorite among some posters, but I really like the quiet reflection the VA gave the IA men. He seems to be a great voice suited for spy work, and the dialogue choices were the player can mouth off to his bosses were delivered hysterically well.

Female IA: I'd rate this at a 7, but that's more because I haven't played her in quite awhile.

Male Consular: I rate this at a 3. He seems rude and detached, even when he should sound compassionate or scary. Even his DS answers just sound rather "bleh" to me, almost apathetic rather than any with sort of real darkness/passion.

Female Consular: So far, I rate this at a 7. She sounds more educated as opposed to very sheltered and overly proper(like the female JK can sound.) They also gave some quiet reflection to the LS choices that seemed to be lacking for me as the male Consular. And her DS answers don't come across as rude imho; they are really cold hearted and quite scary.

Male Trooper: No rating due to zero experience with player male trooper's VA. Even the troopers in my guild are all female but one of them, and I haven't quested with him. I'll try to correct that later.

Female Trooper: I rate at a 7. I think the deeper voice suits her very well, but sometimes I feel like the VA is trying to hard to sound like just "one of the guys." I never played the ME or the DA games, so I don't know about the character Shepard vs the way the female trooper sounds in game.

Edited by natashina

Female Inq: I rate at a 10. So far, this is my favorite female voice in the game. The reason why is because I love the nearly snake-like way she rounds out her words. I thought it really fit with a beautiful yet insane Force user raised as a slave. I was left with the impression that the common man wouldn't know if she was going to kiss him or kill him. To me, that voice really set the tone for the rest of the story.

Male BW: I haven't had a lot of experience with this, so there isn't a rating here. However, I will say the times that I have heard him didn't really stand out to me one way or the other.

Wow..are we complete opposites or what... just goes to show you how different people like different things.

I hate hate hated the Female Inquisitor. I played Light Side and this voice never fit that choice for me. I also found it grating that the way this was played as it left only the interpretation of she was over compensating for being a former slave. I couldn't stand it so much that I forced myself to play to 50, even though I wanted to quit because of the voice. Luckily I loved the companion Andronikus' voice, so that helped a bit.

I'm presuming that by BW you meant BH, the male..but maybe I'm wrong. That voice... wow... I found myself embarrassingly excited by an animated character! Good thing my husband was playing one! ;)

Edited by Shaynae

I guess I will actually rank all the classes WHY NOT

Of the men:

1) Inquisitor: He is helped, I think, by having pretty much all the good lines, but goodness does he work the hell out of them. He knows exactly what sort of story he is in, and I love it.

2) TSmuggler: I wasn't a fan at first, but ... I don't know, something happened and next thing I knew I actually really liked him. Like the inquisitor, he is helped by having some really fantastic lines, which makes me feel more warmly towards him by default..

3) Imperial Agent: Sometimes his reading of a particular line seems just ... odd, and his "no seriously I'm not from the Empire ha ha ha" accent is a little wibbly, but I could still listen to the dude read me a phone book quite happily. He's also really good at sounding angry or upset without going all over the top with it.

4) Trooper: Varric is my bro, I have to rank him in the top half.

5) Jedi Knight: He doesn't really stand out in a field packed with talent, which is why he starts out my bottom half of the list, but once in a while the way he delivers a line (generally when he is crabby about something) he cracks me up.

6) Jedi Consular: He has a boring script and I am pretty sure was directed to be terminally mellow, so while I like him alright, he gets beaten out by most of the other dudes. Someone has to be ranked lower, dude, don't feel bad.

7) Sith Warrior: He only ranks this low because I haven't heard him very much, but I've liked what I've heard. So he'll probably climb the rankings once I get around to playing a dude one of these.

8) Bounty Hunter: Like the SW, I just haven't played this guy very much, so he's low on the list but I've liked what I've heard. I do think it's sort of a shame that his voice sounds ridiculous with the smaller body types (to me, anyway), but what can ya do.

Of the women:

1) Bounty hunter: I haven't actually played this character that much, but I love her voice SO MUCH. She's a gruff tough woman without sounding like she's trying WAY too hard (*eyes the lady trooper*). Probably helps her case that I am a husky-voiced lady myself. :p

2) Sith Warrior: She just sounds so. Freaking. Perfect. It's a shame I find the SW storyline kind of dull, because she sounds exactly the way I wanted her to, and I want to hug her for being awesome.

3) Smuggler: She is delightfully sassy and even though she occassionally sounds like she's been smoking since she was five (which is a bit at odds at how my smuggler looks), she never fails to deliver. She's a peach.

4) Jedi Knight: She probably would've ranked lower if I hadn't really, really enjoyed how she delivered all those "totally bagging on Doc because I am flirting like a third grader" lines I got.

5) Imperial Agent: LadyHawke, you are a fine voice actress, but you do not do it for me in this role (although you do a really great North American accent). I also hate the way you sound when you're flirting with a dude (I hated it in DA2, too), so given you're the IA, that is a lot of misery I'd just as soon skip.

6) Sith Inquisitor: I haven't really played as a lady inquisitor very much, but I like the male inquisitor so much more, I don't see that changing any time soon. She's really good at the bone-dry delivery of her sarcastic lines like he is, but she just doesn't do it for me for some reason.

7) Trooper: Yeah, that's right. St. Jennifer Hale ranks this low for me. I'm sick of her. I need a break from her and her trying-a-touch-too-hard-to-sound-TOTES-TUFF voice as my avatar. I rejected playing a female trooper in part because I am terrified of hearing her creepy, creepy, creepy Commander Shepard flirt voice again (you know the one).

8) Jedi Consular: Look, I know. I know the script is sort of dull. I know she is the Aggressively Zen jedi class. But no matter WHAT was happening, she sounded exactly the same. I think she sounded VERY SLIGHTLY upset when the big, giant reveal of Act 3 happened. I cannot think of another time she allowed emotion come into her voice. And I am SURE that is what they were shooting for, but my God does that get boring to listen to.

I didn't mind the fem agents voice, though she sounded sultry nearly every line, even when it didn't fit. :rolleyes: As for the male agent, I totally agree; he was brilliantly done and very expressive and intriguing when he needed to be.

All the voices overs are very well done. That goes for main classes and npcs.

My favorite has to be the female smuggler, very funny and engaging. It helps that my smuggler has a cheerful look and a slight grin that really fits the voice.

Pretty much this. Same goes for companions.

My absolute favorite female character voices have been the smuggler, inquisitor and BH by far, the smuggler is awesome because to me she just sounds perfect at all the snarky lines that can be delivered while still sounding good as a pro-republic character without sounding like she's tryign too hard.

The female inquisitor I fell in love with with at how dry and deliciously sarcastic she sounded with nearly every line she delivered, even her light side choice lines still sound snarky and are rather humorous to hear.

And the female BH is PERFECT, just absolutely PERFECT, she sounds exactly like the kind of gruff, tough female who wont take **** from ANYONE, I absolutely love the voice acting she delivered and its definitely one of the prime reasons I play a BH as my main.

As for the female voice I hate them most, THE TROOPER, oh my christ I absolutely despise the voice acting jennifer hale delivered in her lines, she's trying WAY too hard and honestly I've never found her to be this amazing voice actress that people apparently get all excited about. She's jsut trying wayyyyyy too hard in her lines and it just sounds irritating to hear her talking half the time, might explain why I see far more male troopers than female troopers.

As for my favorite male voices, I loved the male warriors voice actor, he sounded perfect in nearly every line he delivered, light or dark, snarky or not I loved how he delivered each of his lines.

I also like the male troopers a lot, mostly because he isn't trying too hard unlike a certain butch lesbian trooper, and his voice fits nearly any kind of trooper you make.

Didn't particularly care for the male inquisitor , he honestly sounded to me like he was rushing his lines half the time, he was decent but otherwise unremarkable to me.

Male BH's...I just dunno, on one hand he's just trying WAY too hard, on the other hand, he actually fits a BH, gruff and tough sounding, still he should stop trying to channel Clint Eastwood in each of his lines, seriously.

The others I'm just indifferent to, plus I'm smashed as hell so I cant exactly make any more coherent thoughts here lol, yay spellcheck!