Crit versus cunning

SWEtree

The short answer is : Cunning.

I wouldn't worry too much about your crit level till you hit level 50. There are multuple posts regarding optimal stats. Most people agree that your accuracy should be 100% and crit should be at least 30%. After that, stack as much cunning as possible. My sniper is around 37% crit and it is a lot fun to use Takedown and crit for 6250 :)

I hope this helps!

The short answer is : Cunning.

I wouldn't worry too much about your crit level till you hit level 50. There are multuple posts regarding optimal stats. Most people agree that your accuracy should be 100% and crit should be at least 30%. After that, stack as much cunning as possible. My sniper is around 37% crit and it is a lot fun to use Takedown and crit for 6250 :)

I hope this helps!

Your answer is right but vague, mostly where A mods are concerned. There is nowhere in the game where cunning and crit will be in direct opposition, other than those in a certain way.

Basically, always go for high cunning, but when using a crit mod in endgame, always go for the unlettered version of the mod.

Once your crit hits roughly 300 rating, use power, which is the stat directly opposed to crit on mod itemnization.

Edited by verfallen

• 2 weeks later...
Most people agree that your accuracy should be 100%

98% ^^

I have 98.5% accuracy and have a 0% miss chance on all special/tech attacks on ops bosses/dummys, even on 20+ min parses.

Anything above 98% accuracy is suboptimal in my opinion.

98% ^^

I have 98.5% accuracy and have a 0% miss chance on all special/tech attacks on ops bosses/dummys, even on 20+ min parses.

Let's do some math :D

Over a period of 60 seconds, there are 40 GCDs @ 1.5s each. There are off CD abilities, and there's latency, so for these purposes I'll just assume they cancel each other out.

Over 20 minutes, you would have activated 800 abilities. These are not all special / tech attacks, but we're going to assume they are.

With a sample size of 800, an expected proportion of 50/50, and a 3% confidence interval, your sample gives roughly a 91% confidence level. The golden rule is within three standard deviations, so to get to a 95% confidence level you would need a sample of roughly 1,068 special / tech attacks.

TL;DR Small sample sizes are misleading.

Edited by CharlieBrown

98% ^^

Tech currently cannot miss.

Getting 100% accuracy with MM is braindead easy you need rougly 190 acc rating.

Also no sniper spec played right are pure tech. This won't miss, but lazed snipe, ambush and SoS as well as 1/3rd pf cull are not tech and can miss. This is why all spec safe the hybrid are taking those 3% accuracy points.

Also all spec will have a certain miss % from rifle shots. But that absolutely no SoS snipe or ambush missed over 20 minute with 98% acc is a lucky parse if it even happened, which I doubt.

Let's do some math :D

Over a period of 60 seconds, there are 40 GCDs @ 1.5s each. There are off CD abilities, and there's latency, so for these purposes I'll just assume they cancel each other out.

Over 20 minutes, you would have activated 800 abilities. These are not all special / tech attacks, but we're going to assume they are.

With a sample size of 800, an expected proportion of 50/50, and a 3% confidence interval, your sample gives roughly a 91% confidence level. The golden rule is within three standard deviations, so to get to a 95% confidence level you would need a sample of roughly 1,068 special / tech attacks.

TL;DR Small sample sizes are misleading.

How about hours upon hours of logs from ops as well as parses on dummys? Still 0% miss chance with tech abilities? It's not coincidence.

98% ^^

I hope nobody mistakes this troll for an informed person. Let's clear up some misconceptions. Pre-2.0, bosses have 0% dodge/resist chance and Tech attacks have a base 100% chance to hit. Whether you had 90% or 100% ranged accuracy, you'd still complete 100% of your tech attacks.

Since accuracy cannot be traded for cunning on any mod or gear, I'll assume you mean that players should drop accuracy for surge. The problem is that once you get 300 surge/1.76 crit multiplier, an extra 60 surge will only gain you about 1% more crit damage, and your crit rate will be 40% or lower. This is a dps increase of 0.4% at most. Whereas if you got acc to 300, you are guaranteed to move that 98.5% ranged acc to 100% ranged acc, which is a dps increase of 1.015% on ranged attacks.

If you plan on using ranged attacks, you want to get your ranged accuracy from 90% to 100%.

Edited by MGNMTTRN

I hope nobody mistakes this troll for an informed person. Let's clear up some misconceptions. Pre-2.0, bosses have 0% dodge/resist chance and Tech attacks have a base 100% chance to hit. Whether you had 90% or 100% ranged accuracy, you'd still complete 100% of your tech attacks.

Since accuracy cannot be traded for cunning on any mod or gear, I'll assume you mean that players should drop accuracy for surge. The problem is that once you get 300 surge/1.76 crit multiplier, an extra 60 surge will only gain you about 1% more crit damage, and your crit rate will be 40% or lower. This is a dps increase of 0.4% at most. Whereas if you got acc to 300, you are guaranteed to move that 98.5% ranged acc to 100% ranged acc, which is a dps increase of 1.015% on ranged attacks.

If you plan on using ranged attacks, you want to get your ranged accuracy from 90% to 100%.

Perhaps I should clarify; I did not mean that anything above 98% accuracy is completely wasted in terms of dps, simply that I dont think its warranted to consider 100% accuracy as some form of bare minimum (which seems to be an opinion floating around). At lower gear levels at least, getting 250-300 surge should be considered more important than going from 98-100% accuracy.

Problem for me is that im a slinger not a sniper which means that looking at parses and determining miss chances on any attack that utilises offhand (aimed shot, speed shot, wounding shots) is impossible since I have no idea whether those few misses that occured were simply OH misses.

EDIT: Also misread your post slightly first time around^^ I thought only force attacks could not be missed/resisted pre-2.0?

Edited by Dokarswtor

I've missed an ambush and some SoS rounds.. with 99.97% accuracy! So it can happen, IMO 98% is fine for anything but MM :)

Edit: To clarify, on bosses not trash.

Edited by Svii