Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns

Cheezfriend

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully Bioware announces something after their thanks giving celebrations.

This thread just isn't about the PVP server. Please go to the very first post I made 120 pages ago! This thread is a consolidated list of all the problems with the APAC servers.

Remember the 12 slots debacle???? This affected all three servers and people from those servers voiced their concerns within this thread.

Low population on MDN is the hot topic at the moment in this thread because it is affecting people's game play.

Lets not forget that what we want and suggest in this thread may not be the solution Bioware give us in the end, until then let's move on from what has been discussed with a couple of individuals within this thread (yes I a, guilty) and focus on the reason I started this thread.

Continue to voice your concerns as an APAC player, with particular regards to lowly populated servers. If you think our population is fine, please take a minute to look at the European and USA SUPER SERVERS and then make comment.

Thanks

<3 Chippy

Is anyone else finding it difficult to find groups for Flashpoints?

I am up to Taral V and after 3 days of 12 hour play, still no group. Very frustrating as I wish to a) complete those flashpoints, b) gain orange gear from said flashpoints and c) gain social points.

Note I am currently on my first character, Republic

This quote is taken from the Master Dar'Nala server froums, postd in the last 12 hours.

Is this the experience we want for new players?

The positive effect on population on Master D is wasted if it ends up with situations like this.

I have spoken to 2 others directly in the last day or so with pretty much the same experience, either new or returning players, wondering where the people are in a game they are enjoying or want to enjoy.

From Jeff Hickman's State of the Game blog 6th Nov.

Topic #3: Oceanic populations. Are we doing anything about them?

Answer: We are very aware of the concerns with the population levels on the Oceanic servers. The problem is pretty complex, as the solutions we have either split the populations further (like allowing Oceanic players to move to North American servers), or would force players to go to server types (PvP or RP, etc…) that they do not want to be on. Our current plan is to wait for Free-to-Play to launch and see what the influx of new players does to the populations of these servers. We will give it a little time and if we do not see significant improvement, then we will move ahead with the solution that offers the best playing experience for the Oceanic community.

With all due respect I believe the time for the solution is now. Whatever it is, please get it underway ASAP.

Kind regards

They should just link all the servers via group finder or something similar so the servers are connected but still unique.

Only problem with this is it doesn't do anything to fix the "empty" feeling that planets on the oceanic servers often have. It's pretty depressing when you're doing some quests on Hoth or Tatooine for example and there's only one or two other people from your faction on the entire planet, and about the same on the opposite side

Ok so I just logged in to the US server Harbinger, as was suggested. You know what I found? It's 8pm over there. The server is marked as full. The fleet has all of 75 more people then Dalborra does at the same time, and funnily in the chat window, lots and lots of people complaining about being in a LFG for over an hour! I don't see how this is any different to what you have been complaining about here?

The one thing I did notice as being different? The absolutely terrible Latency. Powers didn't activate. People didn't spawn for about 5 or so seconds. Is this what we want from our game?

I kinda think like this. The LFG is only as good and as fast as the people that cue in it. If people are just sitting on the fleet and making their own groups, then the LFG is gonna suck a bit. Maybe opening the LFG to multiple servers would help? Although I am not a big fan of that because of what it did to the other big MMO.

As for planets feeling dead, I haven't had that since the F2P went live. I always see someone, and there is usually plenty going on in chat no matter where I am. I play at many differing times. From days to early morning, to peek hours.

More of my two bits.

Ok so I just logged in to the US server Harbinger, as was suggested. You know what I found? It's 8pm over there. The server is marked as full. The fleet has all of 75 more people then Dalborra does at the same time, and funnily in the chat window, lots and lots of people complaining about being in a LFG for over an hour! I don't see how this is any different to what you have been complaining about here?

Um...I was on the Harbinger 20 minutes ago and there were FOUR instances of the imperial fleet running. Are you sure you weren't just in the smallest instance of the fleet?

The one thing I did notice as being different? The absolutely terrible Latency. Powers didn't activate. People didn't spawn for about 5 or so seconds. Is this what we want from our game?

I kinda think like this. The LFG is only as good and as fast as the people that cue in it. If people are just sitting on the fleet and making their own groups, then the LFG is gonna suck a bit. Maybe opening the LFG to multiple servers would help? Although I am not a big fan of that because of what it did to the other big MMO.

As for planets feeling dead, I haven't had that since the F2P went live. I always see someone, and there is usually plenty going on in chat no matter where I am. I play at many differing times. From days to early morning, to peek hours.

More of my two bits.

all of 75 people in that one instance do you mean?

You do realise that you if click on your map there will be probably 5 instances of every planet and fleet.

Perhaps if the PVE/RP servers are doing okay, should just merge the PVP into PVE, cause MDN is still fairly terrible for 50 pvp, it's pretty hard to catch a Q during the day, and even then it's the same people every single time in day time. Prime time is okay, 10-15 min Q's, sometimes better, sometimes worse.

This quote is taken from the Master Dar'Nala server froums, postd in the last 12 hours.

Is this the experience we want for new players?

The positive effect on population on Master D is wasted if it ends up with situations like this.

I have spoken to 2 others directly in the last day or so with pretty much the same experience, either new or returning players, wondering where the people are in a game they are enjoying or want to enjoy.

From Jeff Hickman's State of the Game blog 6th Nov.

With all due respect I believe the time for the solution is now. Whatever it is, please get it underway ASAP.

Kind regards

Yeah! Don't carefully consider all possible options and give F2P time to settle. Do SOMETHING now. If you screw it up we'll complain and accuse you of not doing your job.

all of 75 people in that one instance do you mean?

You do realise that you if click on your map there will be probably 5 instances of every planet and fleet.

Perhaps if the PVE/RP servers are doing okay, should just merge the PVP into PVE, cause MDN is still fairly terrible for 50 pvp, it's pretty hard to catch a Q during the day, and even then it's the same people every single time in day time. Prime time is okay, 10-15 min Q's, sometimes better, sometimes worse.

Um...I was on the Harbinger 20 minutes ago and there were FOUR instances of the imperial fleet running. Are you sure you weren't just in the smallest instance of the fleet?

Go easy on Him/Her guys. They have probably never been on a fleet with more than one instance.

Yeah! Don't carefully consider all possible options and give F2P time to settle. Do SOMETHING now. If you screw it up we'll complain and accuse you of not doing your job.

Carefully consider all possible options? Thats precisely what we and Jeff Hickman (as detailed in his post) have been doing. Now is the time to implement that careful consideration.

Regarding screwing it up...dont presume to know my or others reaction nor put words in my mouth.

Cheers

Another persons post about Master Dar'Nala's population problem.

I followed TOR pretty closely all through pre release, pre ordered the game on the first available game (even though I'm from Australia it didn't stop me) and enjoyed the game. I played for a couple of months, never taking any character to level cap unfortunately, but I eventually stopped playing. When Australian servers were released I jumped right back on to Master Darnala and kept playing.

Now I've come back again (as a subscriber,t not F2P) and I've gone back onto the same server, Master Darnala. I didn't realise until I hit about level 20 on my fresh smuggler that the server is completely dead, peaks about 20 people on the fleet most of the time. As a result, I can't do flashpoints, heroics, or any group related quest.

The last thing I want to do is take the same character through the same quests and story all over again on a fresh server, or face any more gosh darn rakghouls again. So I can experience the game as it should, I am requesting a PAID server transfer. I understand things don't come free and it's a difficult process, but you gave me a complimentary transfer when Australian servers came out, surely you can organise one if i throw the cash (gladly) your way?

Sitting at level 26 now on my new character, I did esseles on my own, and I got a group for Athiss. Thats it. I'm constantly in the group finder, but there just aren't people on. I want to enjoy the game as it should be, but I can't help but feel I'm going to get sick of doing everything on my own, and not enjoying half the content because of a lack of people.

Many thanks if you read this

Yumstix

Link to thread

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=561422

I will provide more proof and info as it comes to hand.

I do not understand why people are asking for optional server transfers. Don't get me wrong, I am sick of the empty worlds and inability to get groups and incredibly long PVP queue times.

But offering optional transfers its basically the same as making it non optional. Your immediately going to see the major part of the MDN server bail like rats from a sinking ship. Which will then certainly sink because its bad enough as it is, imagine if only even 25% (Probably a very conservative number) leave the server? Or worse 40%? Its awful as it is, the second you start offering transfers, people will take them due to low numbers, numbers will get lower because of the transfers, so then more people leave. See the problem here?

The rats will leave the ship screaming that its sinking, and in turn make it sink. Sure its riding low in the water now, let a few people leave, what do you thinks gonna happen?

There's only two options regarding server transfers here;

All or nothing, merge the servers.

or, Allow server transfers ONTO the server/s but not off, We want to increase the pop not decrease, you could also remove RP and then let them filter into the others. (This approach assumes that what people are saying about the PVE servers good health is true, i'm from the PVP server mostly [shock horror i know] So i don't know how healthy it truly is. From what some people are suggesting it probably wouldn't survive even the smallest of cullings of its population base. Which leads me to below additional point)

Opening up transfers from the US servers to the AP servers would also help, I remember when the AP servers released, alot of Americans were upset they couldn't transfer to them, as they were night shift workers or the like and couldn't play in their own timezone.

Bottom line is,

Stop arguing that optional transfers are the answer and give people choice. You may not be forcibly removing them from their servers, but you are poisoning the well and forcing them to leave themselves anyhow. The most viable option, while still giving choice is. A vote, take a poll of who is willing to play what modes, and who feels action is needed. I dont think F2P is going to be the answer to the problem, even if we saw a massive spike of people in F2P, it would soon still simmer down. But we didn't even see a massive spike, we saw a small bump in the graph, which will itself still even then simmer out to even less.

But we didn't even see a massive spike, we saw a small bump in the graph, which will itself still even then simmer out to even less.

Highlighting the most important part here.

I q'd up for lowbie PVP today, played one game in an hour at about 5 pm nsw time, at that other time there was one other WZ going on, which was 50 bracket.

Sorry, but, f2p hasn't done anything for Master Dar'Nala. If it's helped the other servers, well that's great, glad to see it !

But for for the folks on MDN we're still stranded and losing a number of the regular guys to US servers, or unsubbing still, cause we're pretty much boned here.

I'll repeat myself for you. I better not lose my damn names. I rolled on Dalborra the moment it opened specifically because I wanted my names. Dalborra's population is slowly climbing, so it has no need to be closed.

I'm happy for the PvP server to be merged with the RP and PVE server, but SCREW ~ANYTHING~ happening to Dalborra. >.>

To make sure i didn't loose my main toons name if there is a merge was to make the same names on the other servers, then i can delete these place holder names after the merge (if and when it happens)

I also did the same on The harbinger just in case :)

j

You obviously haven't been following this topic very long,there are plenty of post from dalborra and gav daragon requesting a merger you just make yourself look like a tool posting comments Like that

when we ask for a merger we expect the pvp server to be closed and and the players moved to the pve server merging all three logically would be the best option for population levels but we will settle for the pvp server to be merged into the pve server.

the flagging issue you brought up makes no sense as we would be merging with a pve server

also I don't know about the rp server but the pve server could use a boost of pvp players and the pvp server will be more than happy to merge into the pve server under pve settings and you won't even notice us until you enter a wz

This (bolded) already happens but not regularily anyway, I just turn off companion AOE and use single target attacks and then no probs :).

Yes there has been an increase in returned players (re-subbed to get their cartel coins mostly) but when their month is up id say at least 1/2 of returnees will leave again as most of the bugs and lack of endgame content remains hence why alot left in the 1st place not the $15 per month.

Realisticly we require merge of all 3 APAC servers b4 Xmas as there is bound to be another magor decline over the xmas holidays and any new F2P (lol) players that get game for xmas will see dead - quiet APAC servers and then log onto the US servers for the population and the high latency....

I personally would like to thank Bioware for being the only MMO company to give us servers.

There have been many on other MMO websites asking for this for years. I don't want to lose that! I don't want to be forced onto a US server, and have crap latency, I already experienced that when I started playing. I know people will disagree with me, but I am happy with where I am and I am as entitled to my opinion as they are.

So again, thank you Bioware, thanks for thinking of us. I know it's not cool to like something, well to bad I like this game, and have for a while now. :)

This is worth re-itterating, as I'm sure in the flood of comments, a great deal of negativity probably comes across - we really do appreciate having servers in our region, it really does make a very significant improvement to our game.

I rolled a new character on one of the other US servers just to feel the difference and 200-300ms latency, I guess obviously enough does (especially by comparison) make the game feel decidedly syrupy.

Thank you BioWare, we really do appreciate it.

Wow

I can't believe people would actually pay for transfers.

If you'd like to give more money away to people who abuse you, PM me and I'm sure we can work something out.

I'll let you have the privilege of wearing sand paper underwear for the low price of $15 per month!

Iodine will be availlable on the Faction Universal market for those wanting to heighten the "enjoyment"

I have spent a lot of money on the Cartel Market, but I wouldn't have spent a dime if the US and Euro players got it for free. Show some self respect people.

Edited by Evgen

I do not understand why people are asking for optional server transfers.

Because not everyone wants to be pushed into a ruleset they don't want to play in.

If they choose to merge the APAC servers I will be putting in a ticket to transfer to Begeren Colony.

It's called choice, people would like it. I really don't see why this is such a problem for you