Developer Update: Sith Warrior and Jedi Knight Class Changes

CourtneyWoods

Reading over the changes and looking over the new trees makes me want to play my Guardian more. Guardian was my main since early access and I want to play him again but I don't want to play him when all of my friends are on another server. Mmos are meant to be played socially not solo....... :rod_frown_p:

This post states that smash has been significantly reduced.

I crit a sage today for 8k and a Merc for 7.2k . I guess I could only imagine what those numbers would've been had they not "nerfed smash significantly".

I do like these posts in general, but there are some gems of untruth. (For the Medicine operative, it was something about their healing being limited. The best healer in the game....had limited healing.)

Everyone has got increased hp (and all kind of damage in general) and bolster is still bugged, isn't it? They also removed expertise from war hero gear. Proportionally, Smash might do less damage than before.

Furthermore, Alacrity increases resource regeneration by the same rate, helping you to recuperate resources more quickly as you spend them more quickly.

Please, if you write a review for the classes, don't just use copy-paste.

Because what you just said, is totally not true for SW/JK.

For all other classes, resource gain is adjusted by alacrity, (with 0 alacrity you gain 8 force / sec, with 4% alacrity you gain 8.32 force /sec).

SW/JK doesn't get this because our resource gain is from procces, that have fixed internal cooldown, not affected by alacrity, or from skills on CD like charge, battering assault, etc.

That's why, if an SW/JK has anything higher than zero for alacrity, his rotation is screwed, and he either has to wait for one of his CDs to be available again, or has to use a filler, to gain resource.

The first defeats the whole purpose of alacrity, the second just plain lowers the dps.

To add insult to injury, there is Ravage/Master Strike, which doesn't use alacrity.

So your whole copy-pasted sentence here is flawed, and should be corrected.

With the new buffs that grant free Vicious Throw and with the Execute proc in Carnage. Are there any ways to make those procs more visible to the user? Looking through my own buffs is to time consuming and takes much attention that is needed elsewhere is certain situations.

"Combat has been criticized for being a little too simple to play. While they have lots of fun utility, their core rotation was a little boring. "

Uhh since when? :confused: I despise when the devs flat out LIE to us like we haven't a clue. Combat rotation isn't as complex as watchman but is sure as hell more complex than any other dps spec in game (no 4-5 button wonders here, you classes know who you are), especially in terms of being punishingly unforgiving (and I've played every class in game so I do know what I'm talking about). While HOJ is really fun and can lead to super burst, it's still clunky and has a better-than-not chance to proc at decidedly inopportune times and be wasted.

Twin saber through is incredibly fun and a nice boost to aoe, looks amazing too, but there's a lot of poor choices the devs made including the alacrity thing and the nerfing of zen focus reducers that hurt, big time. It's been said 100,000 times, but alacrity is poor for knights/warriors. Period. No amount of dev spin will change that. Not counting zen, the amount of alacrity you have to have to make any noticeable difference is laughable and since it doesn't affect master strike (our best move) why on earth would we take it over accuracy or surge? We're the only classes that have to generate our own resources and we have to do it through very inefficient means. Speeding up those inefficient means with alacrity is neither fun nor optimal.

Just as an aside, you really borked up opportune attack too guys. Makes an already complex rotation more so; get to risk standing in fire now just to watch and see if it procced. All in all, the changes aren't as crippling as they looked on paper, and the spec is still fun, but please don't bull**** us and say the rotation was too simple or boring. You nerfed us because we were the top dps and people QQd. The kicker is in order to top the meters with any spec of sentinel, you have to be above average and use a complex rotation. We've all seen a ton of terribad sents/maras out there. Now the new FOTM is ez mode gs/sniper; my gs guildees even say it's ludicrously simple and does huge #s.

My sentiments exactly. Who was complaining about it being too simple to play? I want to see the threads and I want to know why the devs decided to listen to those people when there are thousands of actual complaints that they simply ignore.

For Knights and Warriors specifically, attacking faster means generating resources faster. Now more Alacrity is strictly a good thing.

Why in the world would you think this? lol

The only skill Maras have that really could benefit from Alacrity is Ravage and it doesn't benefit from increased Alacrity. The other benefits of Alacrity for Marauders are a complete joke. No way should any Mara waste time stacking more of it.

Annihilation has always had a strong rotation with good sustained damage and utility. We didn’t want to mess with the formula to Annihilation’s success, so we just made them better at doing what they already do.

Annihilation is still strong in PvE. However, it's still garbage in PvP.

Carnage has been criticized for being a little too simple to play. While they have lots of fun utility, their core rotation was a little boring. However, some players like a more relaxed playstyle, so it’s important to us that we don’t change things too much.

Dev-speak for "We nerfed Carnage." Just tell the truth already.

Carnage is still good, but not great by any means. The only thing Carnage will be good for now in Rated PvP is Predation and Roots. No wonder everyone I know is dumping Mara/Sents from their Rated list and picking up Juggs/Guards instead.

Our intentions with Rage Marauders in 2.0 are to continue to support their viable sustained damage, but to lessen the burst potential of Smash.

Annihilation is still garbage in PvP and you nerfed Carnage. Congratulations on pushing even more Maras to Rage. Not to mention that Smash is as bursty and powerful as ever. God knows the Carnage rotation was far simpler to the 3-4 button Smash rotation. lol

Horrible changes across the board pretty much for Marauders. Thanks for nothing Austin.

Edited by DarthOvertone

OK.... Do the developers even PLAY this game?

-Building focus faster with alacrity

--true only if you're a moron spamming

-Transcendence is the most fun skill

--so rarely used in real combat this is laughable

-Combat is a simple rotation

--While it may have a "simple" priority based action... those priorities change based on conditions. making this a very complex build to get optimum dps from.

When i read this... Smash hits for significantly less in 2.0, I spat out my coffee. Smash hitting for LESS? yea right. I'm in the same guild with quite a few people who run smash and they're still hitting people for 8k+ so please tell me again how that's "significantly less" cause to me, it looks and hits me for EXACTLY the same as before... :mad: Edited by JargoFett

When i read this... Smash hits for significantly less in 2.0, I spat out my coffee. Smash hitting for LESS? yea right. I'm in the same guild with quite a few people who run smash and they're still hitting people for 8k+ so please tell me again how that's "significantly less" cause to me, it looks and hits me for EXACTLY the same as before... :mad:

When people have about 10k life more, going up from 6k to 8k is not that much

I hate their love to alacrity:

Now more Alacrity is strictly a good thing

Everyone that thinks more than 10 secs about this, will understand, that that's simply nonsense.

Having more Alacrity maybe a good thing, but to sacrifice other stats to gain more alacrity is a very bad thing.

On most of the standard pve tank equip there is alacrity on it :mad:

Edited by Never_Hesitate

When i read this... Smash hits for significantly less in 2.0, I spat out my coffee. Smash hitting for LESS? yea right. I'm in the same guild with quite a few people who run smash and they're still hitting people for 8k+ so please tell me again how that's "significantly less" cause to me, it looks and hits me for EXACTLY the same as before... :mad:

An entire rotation was removed as well. Force Stasis/Choke no longer builds singularity. Making it take significantly longer to build up for those hits. Which means less Force Sweeps and they are a bit weaker. Works great for PvP'ers. Absolute fail for PvE'ers. Whoever thought it was a good idea to kill PvE at the request of PvP'ers should be shot. Focus spec has zero viability in PvE now. They are out DPS'd nearly 2 to 1 in ops runs.

Here is a thought for the devs. Separate the PvE and PvP skills so you do not destroy specs based on the crying of PvP'ers. Guild Wars 1 and FFXIV do it. Any reason you devs can not?

• 4 weeks later...

I am so happy with the changes to my sentinel and marauder. :D I wrote a post last year explaining how poorly my sentinel performed and this year she's my favorite! Apparently other sentinels are enjoying the changes too... I was trying to do the daily quests in the cave on Ilum and this dumb sentinel was bouncing all over the place hahaha! Never thought I'd see the day! Thanks so much for these changes. I chose to put my sentinel (Dansa) in the Focus spec. Being able to force leap more than once is huge for staying alive and causing damage.

My ability to manage focus is much better now as well. I don't seem to run out of gas like I used to. Thank you soo much this is huge- she's the knight I dreamed she'd be now.

Thanks!!!!

Jedi Covenant Server

• 2 weeks later...
I know I'm late (been playing a lot of different classes since 2.0) but I've noticed there is no mention of the auto-crit Force Scream proc nerf in Carnage. In 1.7 it was 100% chance on an Ataru hit but in 2.0 it's 30% chance on Ataru hit due to being tied to the Execute talent; Ataru hits are a proc in of itself without spamming Massacre. Was this change intentional? Edited by MrRuck