Mercenary Manifesto

cashogy

You are a bitter person with delusional beliefs about what buffs BW is willing to provide to Merc/Commando. However I understand that the increased prevalence of Merc/Commandos who do not play the class to its fullest ability helps to reduce Merc/Commando meta average productivity and thus increase the chance that BW doesn't further nerf us. So I commend you on your suboptimal play and encourage you to continue.

Since I've long since moved on to my shadow for my PVP needs I'm afraid to say you'll have to look elsewhere to find the people responsible for lowering your meta-average. That doesn't make you not a bad for thinking a 3% accuracy boost is going to be more helpful than 3 instant casts of TM/PS (in PVP anyway).

Also there is a huge difference between saying "these are good ideas that I think would help the class be viable in PVP and not make us too overpowered" and actually believing that BW will do anything. If the realization that they aren't likely to implement any of these changes makes me bitter, well so be it.

Btw Cash has the right of it on the math. Outside of a nice quick way to proc the DoT and filler while ammo charges back, or something to do while running, there's never a reason to use Hammer Shot/Rapid Shots over Charged Bolts/Power Shot. It'd be nice if it auto procc'd the DoT like Vanguard/Power Tech's mirror ability, but the chance to reset HiB/RS and the raw damage makes it worth casting over filler when you don't need it. Fluff damage is fluff damage. We both know burst is the king of PVP.

Edited by ArchangelLBC

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, 30% of 2000 (power shot) is greater than 30% of 900 (rapid shot). but that still leaves you with 1400 and 630, and im pretty sure that 1400 is still larger than 630.

Again, with the compete ignore of CGC....

I'll put it too you succinctly - once you take into account the chance to proc CGC and the fact that CGC isn't reduced by enemy armor, RapidShots does MORE damage than PowerShot. And that is assuming a 0% chance of PowerShot being interrupted, being stunned or cc'ed during your cast, etc. Once you introduce the additional realism of heat management and enemy activity, PowerShot becomes a horrible choice.

Whether you and Archangel are either unable to understand the math or willfully choose to deny it without understanding it is irrelevant. Neither changes the fact it exists.

Again, with the compete ignore of CGC....

I'll put it too you succinctly - once you take into account the chance to proc CGC and the fact that CGC isn't reduced by enemy armor, RapidShots does MORE damage than PowerShot. And that is assuming a 0% chance of PowerShot being interrupted, being stunned or cc'ed during your cast, etc. Once you introduce the additional realism of heat management and enemy activity, PowerShot becomes a horrible choice.

Whether you and Archangel are either unable to understand the math or willfully choose to deny it without understanding it is irrelevant. Neither changes the fact it exists.

here ya go: http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f84/redsoxfanatic08/rapidshot_v_powershot.png

full breakdown of the damage: http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f84/redsoxfanatic08/rapidshot_v_powershot1.png

please save the lecture about how Power Shot has a chance to be interrupted/CC/whatever. Unload is even easier to interrupt b/c it is a 3s channel. should we stop using that as well? how about Death From Above? Fusion Missile?

Edited by cashogy

please save the lecture about how Power Shot has a chance to be interrupted/CC/whatever. Unload is even easier to interrupt b/c it is a 3s channel.

The difference is that even if Unload is interrupted it still causes damage. PowerShot in contrast requires everything to go right for the full cast time in order to achieve ANY damage. That combined with the higher proc rate makes Unload worth self rooting for. PowerShot? NO.

The difference is that even if Unload is interrupted it still causes damage. PowerShot in contrast requires everything to go right for the full cast time in order to achieve ANY damage. That combined with the higher proc rate makes Unload worth self rooting for. PowerShot? NO.

i surrender, agree to disagree.

If you haven't figured out a way to get the cast out when you can by now then I stand by my statement that you're a bad. A 45% chance to reset HiB/RS is worth standing still for 1.488 seconds to get a cast off.

But no, you're right, clearly the real imbalance in PVP is giving Knights and Warriors the chance to use Riposte on us. That's what's proving to be the difference now.

If you haven't figured out a way to get the cast out when you can by now then I stand by my statement that you're a bad. A 45% chance to reset HiB/RS is worth standing still for 1.488 seconds to get a cast off.

If you aren't playing against players that have their interrupt ability set to a key bind, then the rot of their bad gameplay has simply transferred to you. Evolving your playstyle into one that works only against bads is your style, not mine.

Just do this:
The talent Power Barrier should be buffed to 4% less damage taken per stack, maxing at 20%, as well as lowering the lockout duration of interrupted abilities by 10% per stack, maxing at 50%.

i suggested reverting Power Barrier back to the 2% it was before the nerf in 1.2. 10% total damage reduction is ok, i think that 20% is asking for too much.

the second part of that suggesting has some promise tho. that would reduce the lockout time to ~1 GCD. it doesnt help a merc being interrupted by multiple targets, but it certainly wouldnt be a negative change.

Why not put in something like:

"Cortosis laced Armor" -- 20% armor boost and 100% resistance to force based attacks for 3 seconds

And:

"Jetpack" -- Increase movement speed by 100% and break roots, 2 second duration"

Having those two simple changes would mean so much to us imo.

Pyro also needs a instant casted ability that proc CGC and have a chance of refreshing railshot.

Why not put in something like:

"Cortosis laced Armor" -- 20% armor boost and 100% resistance to force based attacks for 3 seconds

And:

"Jetpack" -- Increase movement speed by 100% and break roots, 2 second duration"

Having those two simple changes would mean so much to us imo.

Pyro also needs a instant casted ability that proc CGC and have a chance of refreshing railshot.

the "cortosis lace armor" is a no. a defensive cooldown that lasts 3s and is only good against certain jedi/sith abilities. no.

the jetpack is more realistic, but id rather see dev time put in to making merc effective against melee opponents, than giving us a tool to run away better

If you aren't playing against players that have their interrupt ability set to a key bind, then the rot of their bad gameplay has simply transferred to you. Evolving your playstyle into one that works only against bads is your style, not mine.

If everyone is focused on you all the time then it doesn't matter what you do. You're going to be spending most of the warzone in the cloner. If they AREN'T focused on you, you can get a quick cast off. Especially if you're smart enough to take muzzle fluting and the alacrity talent. Sadly, due to our lack of utility, a very real part of our game play involves finding a way to setup where you aren't easily spotted and being ignored long enough to do some decent free casting. Under those circumstances, you better believe Charged Bolts is part of my rotation, and you better believe I'm taking any talents that get the ability off quicker.

If your response is that the truly good players are going to see you anyway and lock you down, then yes. That's true. That's why Merc/Commando is a poor AC. Welcome to the conversation.

If your response is that the truly good players are going to see you anyway and lock you down, then yes. That's true. That's why Merc/Commando is a poor AC. Welcome to the conversation.

Class balance needs to be managed by the devs based on best practices for each subclass. Not on meta averages. Failure to do so leads to certain classes being obsolete once the player progresses beyond a certain skill level. Which is exactly the case for Merc dps. Correspondingly, discussion regarding solutions must revolve around Merc dps behavior/strategies vs. best practices of other classes.

And this isn't a "conversation" that is new to me. For 12 months I've been posting about the problems with BW's meta average management approach. And "conversation" is an appropriate term only if someone is listening. Which BW isn't.

And this isn't a "conversation" that is new to me. For 12 months I've been posting about the problems with BW's meta average management approach. And "conversation" is an appropriate term only if someone is listening. Which BW isn't.

this. x100

I dunno that I've seen any proof that they use meta averages solely, or even primarily to balance, yet you focus on this much like you focused on riposte.

For all I know they're balancing via tea leaves and whatever their 5 year olds say would make their juggs more fun to play.

Got sources with details on what this meta-average approach actually entails?

I dunno that I've seen any proof that they use meta averages solely, or even primarily to balance, yet you focus on this much like you focused on riposte.

For all I know they're balancing via tea leaves and whatever their 5 year olds say would make their juggs more fun to play.

Got sources with details on what this meta-average approach actually entails?

its just an educated guess based on past dev responses and the actions theyve taken.

none of us really knows what goes on in austin. which is part of the problem

• 5 weeks later...