Companions 101: Corso Riggs

CourtneyWoods

Sorry, I've played warrior, inquisitor, agent, knight and at the moment playing smuggler who's now lvl37.Corso is my MOST HATED companion AND romance to date (incl all bioware games I played). His benevolent sexism and constant white knighting is growing more and more irritating. There's nothing charming about it. Despite how he always says he "respect" women, I feel no respect at all because in his mind, tough and independent as my smuggler and Risha are, they still need men's protection because their gender not who they are. And his jealousy comments are getting creepy since my smuggler told him she changed her mind( I heard that he gets jealous even if you don't flirt with him! eww). I know some players love him, I just don't understand his appeal, and I'm a woman.

Corso charming? Oh please he has the intelligence of lint and it clearly shows. He's annoying and so ridiculously backwards it's rather pathetic. It's 2013 not 1950. I hope the Devs didn't think women would fall head over heals just because he wants to save you. Haven't we been trying to move away from that stereotype?

This is pretty representative of a large portion of the feelings against Corso. Most people either love him or hate him it seems. I personally love him because he is the classic Southern gentleman, and as I from Texas, he reminds me of many of my best friends.

Those who love him recognize that he is chivalrous, loyal, and caring. He has a strong attachment to the Captain and the crew, since they are his family. He is epitomized by the phrase "I hope you don't mind if I come along and take a few hits for you."

Those who hate him see him as a representation of a "backwards" ideal where the woman needs to be rescued because she "can't do it herself." In reality, he isn't "backwards" as much as he is respectful. Just like my Southern upbringing dictates, his code of honor means he puts his life on the line for anyone, but especially women and children, who typically aren't trained in combat. The female smuggler is obviously different, as are many kick-butt women in the universe, but he was born on a small, war-torn planet where even surviving is a challenge, so some need protecting more than others. Plus, as many Southern women in my life that I wouldn't dare cross often say, "a Southern girl is a girl who knows that she can open a door for herself but prefers for the gentleman to do it because it demonstrates a sense of respect." He probably has grown up with people with similar traditions.

All that to say, chivalry isn't backwards, it is respect towards all, and especially towards loved ones or those held in high esteem, i.e. women.

They also think he is pushy and jealous, forgetting that since he lost his family, he is afraid of getting hurt again in the same way. Basic psychology.

My favorite moment with Corso would have to be...On balmorra, one of the times he gets jealous.

Numen Brock: "Call me when you're done. We should find time to do this properly-- you know, food, candlelight..."

Corso: "No. Uh-uh. No candles. She's, us, allergic"

Though I find it adorable whenever he gets jealous with my smugg.

Also, to the people who say he's...sexist by wanting to protect the strong, independent woman smuggler

WHO DON'T NEED NO MAN!

*cough*

I see it more as a, "I know you can take care of things yourself, but sometimes its nice to have someone to lean on, or to take care of it for you" kind of thing, and I personally find it sweet.

He'd be out the airlock if I had my say. Clearly by the way he acts in his mind my character his girlfriend, and he's a jealous boyfriend. She is most definitely not his girlfriend.

Okay, maybe I was a bit hasty there about the airlock. I don't know about actually killing companions, but I sometimes wish there was a "Get the hell off my ship, you creepy bastard!" command.

Edited by PLynkes

You can still vote for other Companions, just be aware that it will be going towards the order of the second round of the Companions 101 series. :jawa_cool:

I'd really like to read something about Qysen Fesss, because I still have troubles understanding him. He is so ... different than anything that I know.

But probably some other companions are equally different to understand ?

Regarding Corso : A nice guy, totally hooked on guns, which I can't understand, either (probably because I'm German and Germans have a completely different approach towards guns than citizens from the U.S. seem to have, according to what I've read in the past).

A good friend of mine is totally hooked on Corso. She has several Smuggler characters (she isn't able to play male characters, similar to me who cannot play female characters), and she just loves Corso. Needless to say that all of her Smuggler characters all married Corso. ;)

What I actually liked very much7i] was this description of scenes taking place within the XS-Freighter. I'd really like to read a book (short stories) or a novel describing companions as living, breathing characters within the Star Wars Universe ...

Personally, I'd prefer a collection of short stories, because that would mean that not too much would be taken away from the player's own, personal experience ... And, there is still so much space between the missions / quests ...

Yes, yes, Corso was amusing. Good times.

Now when are you going to stop torturing me, and writing a blog about Malavai Quinn. I want to understand him better, and dammit, he, I mean you...er...the game...someone owes me some answers! :D

• Like 1

Yes, yes, Corso was amusing. Good times.

Now when are you going to stop torturing me, and writing a blog about Malavai Quinn. I want to understand him better, and dammit, he, I mean you...er...the game...someone owes me some answers! :D

This x 1,000.

I'd LOVE more background on him,

especially about the "Quinn-cident."

This. Would love to know more about Quinn's history and what makes him tick. :p

Also voting for Gault, cos I'm sure there's plenty about him we don't know XD

Ah, Corso.

Corso is the reason I spent a million credits to unlock Pureblood Sith on the Republic side.

My very favorite moment with Corso is every time my female Pureblood Sith backhands him (racial emote). And it happens often. I frequently log in on that character JUST to do that. :D

Favourite moment I dont know, but the memorable moment was when my smuggler turned down hormone boy completely. Kinda felt like kicking a puppy... but as he can take a good beating in the field it is all right :)

Would like to keep him in the cargo bay instead of the bridge tho.

Risha has a much more fitting smuggler attitude!

I may need to try out this class and check out Corso. I always hear a lot of good things about him.

Next time you've the chance I really want a blog entry on Malavai Quinn. This guy really needs some love. I think we all need some closure on a particular event in his story even though, as it stands, I get it. Based on old world ethics I was even expecting it. I still wonder if there was something more to it.

Mainly because I saw it as out of character for Malavai monologue before striking. The Quinn I know would never let me see him coming if he meant to succeed, therefore I'm left with the idea he was engaging in a desperate feint to drive me into an action that would serve both the Empire and himself. If he survived.

Still what an interesting character. I play a male SW so the dynamic is different with Quinn compared to what the ladies get. Not sure why I like him. He's just my guy the way Han had his Chewie and Lando had whatever that was that he had.

Anyway, blah blah blah. Tell me a good story about this guy!

Edited by Reil
  • Like 1

I don't hate or love Corso, but he is definitely not my favorite companion.

My favorite moment is...

When I punched out one of the crazy eco-terrorists on Nar Shaddaa and he was like "Well... I guess it's better than shooting her."

ARGH, come on Corso, just because women are curvier than men does NOT mean that we're all delicate flowers that need to be protected. It seems more like controlling than chivalry at times with him, especially if you're not in a relationship and he acts like a jealous boyfriend. At least if you're dating him he has a reason to be upset!

It's even worse when you play a male if you think about it, because he hates the FemSmuggler being hit on by men constantly yet he will give happy points to DudeSmugglers who do the exact same thing! Wow, talk about double standards.

All of that aside, if you have a female smuggler who loves him, doesn't flirt and has the same mindset as him, he's very sweet and seems like an ideal mate. It's a shame that can be ruined because of the green eyed monster.

So that my good friend Alrik mentioned me before :) Yes I love Corso all the way. But I have to correct you Alrik ;)

Only one of my Girls is married to Corso. The other ones have him at his sweetest convos :)

That would be the "Courting-Question", the "Bottle-Sharing" and of course the Wedding *siiigh*

That would be my favorite Moment.

And I love the voice acting. Especially when he gets jealous and that one sentence he sometimes says. "Anything you want, Captain." Still Music to my ears :)

His romance brought me back to write FanFiction again :)

:wea_02:

Next? I vote for Andronikos (the only better voice in the game than Corso :) ) or Quinn. Yes I want answers too ;)

Corso is tied with Kaliyo as worst companion in the game. I hate him so much.

What what what? Corso is like the best friend you could have. Kind, polite, trustworthy. Always there for you. If he could heal, I wouldn't have to run along with weirdo Languss.

And Kaliyo... well she had a rough childhood, but deep inside she is a fragile girl who is glad to have you by her side (though she would never admit that). Give her a chance on Makeb. I guarantee you will have some good laughs on her comments.

I haven't played the smuggler class story in a long time, so I'm going on memory here, but one of my favorite Corso lines is when you meet Guss on Hoth and Corso says something like:

"Wow, I guess you really can't trust just anyone who wears a brown robe."

I never could tell if he was being serious or sarcastic, his delivery is so deadpan.

I love how I had this real "two-crazy-partners-just-barely-getting-out-of-trouble-by-the-seat-of-their-pants" feel whenever I ran with Corso. You can tell that he would follow you into a Sarlac pit with a "Yeehaw!" if you asked him to.

I romanced him and never felt like he was disrespecting my smuggler or implying that she was helpless. It must really depend on your conversation choices, because in mine I was even able to "remind" him how I could take care of myself once and he acted like he got it and understood.

From the gentleman in Texas, I thank you for this: "All that to say, chivalry isn't backwards, it is respect towards all, and especially towards loved ones or those held in high esteem, i.e. women.

They also think he is pushy and jealous, forgetting that since he lost his family, he is afraid of getting hurt again in the same way. Basic psychology."

I love the new companion bio on Corso. Indeed he is very much a gentleman who finds himself conflicted over what happened on Ord Mantell to his family, which leads me to believe he doesn't much care for the harsh feelings and "darkness" he has inside of him. I see him struggling to set things right in his own mind and life so that he can do what's right for everyone around him. He's refreshing, knowledgeable, and fun loving. You can't help but feel like his fun loving nature is a result of losing his family too young, that he's still searching for that balance between maturity and enjoying life. My lady smuggler is grown very attached to him, he's her primary back up, and like him she doesn't trust Risha as far as she can see her. Bowdaar is a faithful and appreciative companion, while Spaar is just scary. I haven't acquired the last companion yet so can't give an opinion on him.

I'm rolling the romance arc with Corso, and so far I've had to smile within myself at the way Corso tries to be so very proper where it's not a generally accepted practice. Both characters are changing as the story goes on from what I can see. If it weren't for the fact I'm not liking chapter 2 of the Smuggler story line, maybe I could have progressed things further than I am now. However with the new info on Corso, I'm feeling motivated to bring out my lv 36 and try again.

No votes for future companions right now--You've already done my favorite two. Aric Jorgan is still my favorite and probably always will be. Thanks for bringing new light and understanding to Corso ... now if you'll excuse me I have a Wookie race to referee! :D

It's tough to choose a favorite time with Corso, there are so many. But, likely they were any time my character got to be rude or downright mean to Corso, also when got my next companion and didn't have to have Corso shouting "Fight me fair!" anymore. These are also tied to whenever Corso 'lost' his harpoon gun and stopped whipping people behind my cover.

It's only a dream moment, but my favorite dream moment with Corso is when I shot him out the airlock on my ship.

Ahh . . . good times