SWToR Arena Possibilities

Nafian

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can smell which teams would own 3vs3 from miles away.

Either 2 PT's + healer, or 3 Mara's, or 2 Mara + healer.

Healer being an operative, preferably.

Larger set-ups would revolve around stacking more burst classes.

The current warzones are already large arenas, what we need is bigger, less stressy pvp, not even smaller.

All I heard was

"Game is too hard, I don't know how to CC & the groups are too small with 8 man's, my lack of ability is WAY too easy to notice."-------------"If you make it even smaller there is no way for me to hide in the crowd pushing my PVE rotation and back peddling."

Edited by Swidgin

All I heard was

"Game is too hard, I don't know how to CC & the groups are too small with 8 man's, my lack of ability is WAY too easy to notice."-------------"If you make it even smaller there is no way for me to hide in the crowd pushing my PVE rotation and back peddling."

I can agree with this although its quite rude lol but very true!

If I was born after, say 1987, I'd think Star Wars is some kind of a lol-fail-sci-fi-with-lame-looking-aliens franchise. Because the last 3 films were... hmmm.. unimpressive. And the magic of the original ones is hard to appreciate fully after 30+ years.

So the average gamer under 25 doesn't give a **** about Star Wars.

He just logs, "ZOMG WoW with pew pew lazors :eek: and enchanted swords! Teh win!"....

A month later, he starts to scratch his head and ask "Where are teh raidz? And the epix lewt?!? And why no Arenas? This game sux, there are no pandas, /ragequit".

Plus, for most adults above 25, paying $15/month is not as big deal as it is for a student. Even if it's for a single-player RPG with some MMO elements...

True. I mean i knew TOR would be a kinda immature, but this is just way too much. Hopefully 1313 goes MMO. I want fatality, blood, heads rolling, arms flying, limbs crashing as it should be.

Why arenas ruin games? It's not mandatory.

Arenas ruin games because the GOOD players shine and BAD players stay VERY low ranked.

The BADS love PVP and NEVER understand why they are so BAD. Then SOME GOOD players tell the BADs that they are BAD and they get ANGRY and come on forums and say NO ARENAs.

Simple.

Arenas ruin games because the GOOD players shine and BAD players stay VERY low ranked.

The BADS love PVP and NEVER understand why they are so BAD. Then SOME GOOD players tell the BADs that they are BAD and they get ANGRY and come on forums and say NO ARENAs.

Simple.

NEVER underestimate the POWER of BADS in LARGE numbers.

I am in NO way trying to be mean with these posts. It's just the truth. PVE players have a gripe against Arenas. It forces changes to the DPS system.

So called PVPers should have ZERO complaints about arena system because the smaller you can balance PVP the better it is.

Everything I have said is fact. I know it sounds mean but sometimes the truth hurts.

It does not hurt me as i am not the one backpeddle keyturning :p multi glad here on disc and rogue tbc-cata but for those less fortunate i assume what you said might be somewhat offensive. This game needs arena it is where you can tell the skill of the individual players and not just a giant mosh pit of dmg it takes fine tuned strategy, not saying RWZ wont take that as well because it will for sure but the smaller the groups get the more focused the gameplay gets on you and your teamates which is most fun for me because i don't like to depend on many many players.

I am in NO way trying to be mean with these posts. It's just the truth. PVE players have a gripe against Arenas. It forces changes to the DPS system.

So called PVPers should have ZERO complaints about arena system because the smaller you can balance PVP the better it is.

Everything I have said is fact. I know it sounds mean but sometimes the truth hurts.

I'm NOT really ARGUING with you, BUT I am wondering WHAT it would look like to mix YOUR typing style with Dmasterr's COLOR arrangement.

THE problem is THAT people don't UNSTERSTAND how hard it ACTUALLY is to BALANCE a GAME with so many VARIABLES.

ESPECIALLY when the GAME was ORIGNALLY designed to BE balanced around PVE and PVP WAS thrown on later.

I'M not saying THAT it can't be done, BUT it will take a LONG time to implement which is probably WHY BW hasn't touched the SUBJECT.

Oh, it would look something like that... haha amusing. :D

Yes if arena is to be put into this game it needs to have NO rewards that can give someone a real advantage or be the only way of obtaining those rewards, unless it's something cool for the top % at the end of the season.

This game doesn't need to be balanced around smaller battles as it will ruin the larger scale team b attles.

Also 3v3 and 4v4... maybe 6v6?

This is an interesting statement.

What did Rift do different than other games?

I am guessing you are talking about the PvP rifts that were basically like a instanced warfront, but in open world. No we don't need more of that. I say that only because there was entirely too much stone running as a PvP objective in Rift.

Maybe you meant how the hubs were setup to encourage open world PvP. The higher level the quest hub the closer it was to the enemy quest hubs until you were practically figthing on top of each other doing the same quests. Now that I can see, but SWTOR isn't designed like that and they would have to completely redesign planets to be like that.

Their 3 faction idea is pretty interesting. Especially since it is a 2 faction game to begin with, but all that map really sounds like is a 1v1v1 instanced warfront.

Well if you state it that way all pvp is the same. Your statement about instanced wz is an oxymoron to begin with. Pretty much what your saying is "Its identical to that instanced always the same wz but in an open world random environment with random objectives" What I was getting at was more giving people a REAL reason to engage in world pvp. Right now what you have is the occasional skirmish between very small numbers (usually 1v1) or you get 50s who are tired of getting pwned hanging out on tatooine or alderaan killing lowbies for some kinda of perceived bragging rights.

Dont get me wrong I like the pvp here but 4 wz's and the very occasional fight out in world gets boring REAL quick. I play on the fatman, THE most populated server and even I RARELY run into any fights out in open world. I can count on one hand how many times Ive fought people out in the world across 4 characters. Then again I dont go hunting lowbies either. RIFT had some good ideas that could easily be adapted, expanded and improved for this game to make a great idea and epic idea if the devs would just try. I have faith that if companies begin looking at smaller games that have to be innovative to keep subs they could improve the bigger ones. WoW doesnt have to do **** other than shovel out the occasional update to keep players, smaller games have to bust *** and be innovative just to keep what they have. If EA/BW looked at those smaller games and adapted some of those innovations this game could make a very quick turn around and explode in popularity.

NEVER underestimate the POWER of BADS in LARGE numbers.

Lol I was bad at arena, no doubt. Then again I didnt do it often. I never liked small scale anyway, I always thought the bigger the better. WAR not little bar fights. My problem with Arena isnt because I was bad at it, my take on that was oh well I suck leave it to those who are good at it. My view on it was, oh well now that Arena is here everything else is getting screwed up to make sure arena works well.

Well if you state it that way all pvp is the same. Your statement about instanced wz is an oxymoron to begin with. Pretty much what your saying is "Its identical to that instanced always the same wz but in an open world random environment with random objectives" What I was getting at was more giving people a REAL reason to engage in world pvp. Right now what you have is the occasional skirmish between very small numbers (usually 1v1) or you get 50s who are tired of getting pwned hanging out on tatooine or alderaan killing lowbies for some kinda of perceived bragging rights.

Dont get me wrong I like the pvp here but 4 wz's and the very occasional fight out in world gets boring REAL quick. I play on the fatman, THE most populated server and even I RARELY run into any fights out in open world. I can count on one hand how many times Ive fought people out in the world across 4 characters. Then again I dont go hunting lowbies either. RIFT had some good ideas that could easily be adapted, expanded and improved for this game to make a great idea and epic idea if the devs would just try. I have faith that if companies begin looking at smaller games that have to be innovative to keep subs they could improve the bigger ones. WoW doesnt have to do **** other than shovel out the occasional update to keep players, smaller games have to bust *** and be innovative just to keep what they have. If EA/BW looked at those smaller games and adapted some of those innovations this game could make a very quick turn around and explode in popularity.

Except the only random element to their PvP rifts was how many players would actually show up. While the rifts started out great it only took 2 weeks for people to stop trying to pvp at them and only run stones at the rifts without enemy players. The rifts themselves really only catered to the rogue class because they would catch the solo stone runner and kill them... I know I was one of those rogues most of the time because like I meantioned before... enemies would go to rifts that didn't have enemy players around them so they could get PvP rewards without PvPing. With the ability to transfer servers once a week for all players if there was ever opposition on a server then that guild would just transfer to another server so they didn't have to compete.

Otherwise in Rift you had to get a stone and carry it in the garden map, the capture the flag map, and the port scion map. Since that wasn't enough stone running they recreated the CTF map to have more stones. Then they made the library which was exactly like the garden but with... 2 stones instead of 1. So they had this bright idea to bring stone running to open world.... So yea... their instances were the same as the open world. The only warfront that didn't have stone running was a territory map where you had 4 points you could hold... just like WoW and SWTOR with civl war. So excuse me if I don't think Rift brought anything special to the PvP scene.

Their rifts failed just like Warhammer's Public Quests before it. Cool idea at first, but not enough to keep players coming back to do them. The only rifts that were ever done were the dailies.. because they were dailies.. they weren't done for fun. They weren't "dynaminc" at all. You knew exactly how the rift would be each time you opened it.

Edited by DarkDruidSS

All I heard was

Do you think you somehow impress me by saying nothing? Players who are confident in their own ability don't need to insult faceless others on the internet to convince themselves they have skill.

I don't need to prove anything, look for the PvP tournament that was held months ago, when the TTK was still way lower. 3vs3, 2 powertech + healer owned everything.

I play a vanguard myself, against anything other than a mara combo, 2 well geared pyros / assaults could take out 1 of the opposing side without you being able to do anything about it, turning it into a 2vs3.

If you're facing off against teams of actually good players in current day warzones, you can immediately tell whoever is going to win at least 3/4 of the time through setup alone.

That's 8vs8, 3vs3 would be way worse.

Finally, I'm frakking tired of just queueing up for the same little deathmatches all the time, give me some purpose, give me something where I can leave the battle and still feel like I made a difference and come back to it later to see it has moved into a next stage.

Edited by Fdzzaigl

Of all the lame excuses we hear for not implementing arenas this one takes the cake. Your saying NO ARENAS CUZ IT WILL RUIN THE FORUMS....BWAHAHAHAHHAAH!!!

These forums are a pillar of sanity and patience. I'd hate to see that ruined by arena.

Oh, and Trollololololol

• 2 months later...
I love the logic of some people.... Because "I" don't want to participate in arena, none of "YOU" shall have it. No one ever said it has to be WOW style. I don't even want any special gear or any other form of advantage for wins. I just want to have the possibility to play small matches with my 1 or 2 friends MERELY FOR FUN. Why the hell does it scare you so deeply?

• 2 weeks later...
I love the logic of some people.... Because "I" don't want to participate in arena, none of "YOU" shall have it. No one ever said it has to be WOW style. I don't even want any special gear or any other form of advantage for wins. I just want to have the possibility to play small matches with my 1 or 2 friends MERELY FOR FUN. Why the hell does it scare you so deeply?

scares people because they dont want to illustrate how bad they are at pvp :)

• 2 months later...
I guess it needs to be reiterated: arenas ruin games.

oh really on what basis just saying arenas ruin games is a cheap cop out. they add another aspect to the game for more intense pvp play this game has a good resolve system which would only make pvp more viable then wow

if you dont like arena then dont do them no one is making you.