Character Story - the Series ?

Sarkos

Yes, another thread about class story! How original. But it is, in a good way. The devs said that Class Stories will most likely never happen again.

Now, let's try something. Hypothetically speaking, would you, the player, be willing to wait for a patch / expansion delay if there was a 100% chance class stories would make a comeback? Now i realize that some of you will say '' yes, but once we clear through the story, we need to wait all over again ''. That is understandable, but a solution might be possible. Let me explain :

If Class Story content is created ( and the patch/expansion delay accepted by the community ) the devs could release small bits of our story with each little patch. Just like a TV series! You provide a steady, small amount of story to keep your player base entertained. It could potentially keep players '' hooked up '' since they would want to know what happens to their character in the next few weeks.

Now this whole post is just food for thought. I do not inquire anything, it's just for fun and speculations on how this imagined scenario would work out.

I get what you're after here. I think I've mentioned something similar in the past, but not a large-scale. Giving each class a short 1-3 mission arc with each "group story" expansion seems somewhat reasonable. It doesn't need to be anything near as big as the stories we started with. But it would keep things moving as the war continues and make each class feel at least a little special.

So, yeah, I'm all for it.

Curious...

Assume it takes them 4 weeks to produce a "tiny bit" of story content that they can throw out to subs for free, knowing that half the players spacebar every bit of that content.

Let us also assume that in that same time, they could produce an entirely new CM pack to sell (keep in mind that the CM made twice as much as subscriptions did last year).

As a business, if you had to chose one, which one would you invest in?

They added story with the new FP...isn't that mostly what you want? How many times are you going to listen to the admiral say the same thing? I did the first time...waited for others the second time...but that "story content" took me all of like 60 seconds to consume.

Nice idea. Here's my thing on the class stories. It was never planned for year one of the game. The end of year one was the end of the Dread Wars. Now when did the end of the Dread Wars happen? 2.4 which was actually close to the end of year two. So their plans were delayed by an entire year. They have said that the joint storylines are the focus currently, but it is reasonable to think class stories are in fact still coming just not anytime soon. Some info on them was datamined(though to be fair things like that are not guaranteed to make it in game. The plans are there nonetheless.). Another point to think about is the potential for a boxed or substantial digital expansion. I think undeniably such a thing will happen for the game, but you need something huge and truly expanding for it to happen and to me that is the class stories. This, in my eyes, is how class stories are profitable. This game's boxed sales were enormous largely due to the single player landscape. Not so much the MMO world. Another quality Bioware story being sold will net several million instantly. Whether those will stay is where the MMO aspect of the game steps in.

So in essence I think class stories are still alive, but are not priority now. Probably year 4(2015) will be the year they descend simply because they need to have a significant expansion to boost up hype around Episode VII which obviously this game is getting ready for. A new planet doesn't build hype like a whole extension of the story. Plus they know the single player fans would swarm on it like trolls on an official game forum.

As for your point OP. I can support episodic releases, but I prefer one big release for a chapter or two. Episodic content is risky because there is a set deadline you adhere yourself to and if missed it can cause irreparable harm. Releasing it all at once removes that issue from the equation. Frustration is still there, but when released it tends to drown away and not leave too much bitterness.

Edited by Rasen

I too have mentioned this as a way to manage continuing class stories. Small episodic installments, far from full chapters. I also think they don't have to be for all classes at one time. Just bread crumbs to keep the story going.

I think it can be managed and will go a long way to keep people tuning in.

I really hope they consider this and an option as it could change the way subs and f2p ebb and flow from the game and may have staying power.

Curious...

Assume it takes them 4 weeks to produce a "tiny bit" of story content that they can throw out to subs for free, knowing that half the players spacebar every bit of that content.

Let us also assume that in that same time, they could produce an entirely new CM pack to sell (keep in mind that the CM made twice as much as subscriptions did last year).

They added story with the new FP...isn't that mostly what you want? How many times are you going to listen to the admiral say the same thing? I did the first time...waited for others the second time...but that "story content" took me all of like 60 seconds to consume.

So first. Half? No... its waay more than half. Let the spacebar crew spacebar. We are talking about most of the players that don't spacebar.

Second, we are not talking about a snippet from a flashpoint here. We are talking about class story that impacts the class. No not full blown chapters but story and quests that add the progress of the class story. People may run in once, may a few times, but it will keep them tuned in to see how the story unfolds.

Last, what is being proposed is not a matter of choice for the devs. It is in addition to whatever is being offered in the CM or elsewhere. It is a method of keeping players engaged. It will go a long way to selling stuff in the CM if that is their aim; especially if they tie CM items to the episodes released. Armor weapons etc. introduced in the story.

I too have mentioned this as a way to manage continuing class stories. Small episodic installments, far from full chapters. I also think they don't have to be for all classes at one time. Just bread crumbs to keep the story going.

I think it can be managed and will go a long way to keep people tuning in.

I really hope they consider this and an option as it could change the way subs and f2p ebb and flow from the game and may have staying power.

The practical problem with this though is they can do 4X as much in the same time with the same level of effort in the faction story arcs. So from a business standpoint.. they deliver more, faster, and with the same investment cost by sticking to dual faction story arcs. Of course it has less "replay value" for some players.. which is a common theme for wanting 8 class stories rather then 2 faction stories.

Besides.. let's be real.... this idea would result in content that the average player would gobble down in a few hours and then be back complaining in the forum about a lack of class story content. All it does is wet the appetite and create more craving and more demands. It does not really address the issue IMO.

I want class story content as much as everyone else. But I am also fine with the faction based arcs, and I can understand and embrace that it's more efficient in delivering more story for Bioware.

Edited by Andryah

People are going to gobble down and demand more content no matter what. Faction content won't last any longer. Cheaper yes, longer lasting no. Why else are they experimenting with multiple scenario flashpoints? Probably because people really don't want to do the same thing over and over again with all of their alts. Kind of the way people beg for double xp weekends so they can level without doing planet quests. Planet quests (aka faction story) loose replayability very quickly.

I, personally, would prefer 8 short class stories over 2 longer faction ones. Even though I have multiple characters and play every day, I've only finished Makeb twice and Oricon only once. I have three characters of every class, so, for me, I'm getting way more mileage out of the class quests than the faction ones.

I would take class content any way I can get it. One big expensive expansions? I'll pony up! Bits and pieces on the CM? I"m down with that! Dribbled out with other content? Fine! Fine! Just don't give up on the best part of the game!

The practical problem with this though is they can do 4X as much in the same time with the same level of effort in the faction story arcs. So from a business standpoint.. they deliver more, faster, and with the same investment cost by sticking to dual faction story arcs. Of course it has less "replay value" for some players.. which is a common theme for wanting 8 class stories rather then 2 faction stories.

Besides.. let's be real.... this idea would result in content that the average player would gobble down in a few hours and then be back complaining in the forum about a lack of class story content. All it does is wet the appetite and create more craving and more demands. It does not really address the issue IMO.

I want class story content as much as everyone else. But I am also fine with the faction based arcs, and I can understand and embrace that it's more efficient in delivering more story for Bioware.

i know it takes a lot of time to create class story but i am willing to pay € 60 for a class story expansion.

i know it takes a lot of time to create class story but i am willing to pay € 60 for a class story expansion.

Your € 60 doesn't cover the expense of creating more class story and it's a pittance compared to the 3+x's that € 60 in CM sales they can get, for far less development time and cost.

It would be nice to have story outside of FP/Ops. They've given a little more, but it's always for the entire faction. I'm fine with that, but I don't think it's being greedy to ask for some small tidbit that that is class-specific. I'm not even talking about a 5 quest chain. I would be happy with 1 or 2 short missions, which would only require 2-4 cutscenes. Just a little something to keep the class story moving. It doesn't matter to me about spacebarrers. Enough people want class stories to continue (even if just a little bit) that it would be worth BWs time to at least consider the option.

If Class Story content is created ( and the patch/expansion delay accepted by the community ) the devs could release small bits of our story with each little patch. Just like a TV series! You provide a steady, small amount of story to keep your player base entertained.

They are already doing this, but with 2 faction stories instead of 8 class stories plus faction stories. Here is the question you should be asking.

Would you wait five times longer between updates than you do now?

That's how long it would take for BW to create 8 class stories in addition to 2 faction stories. At least that long, but likely much longer, because the logistics of working with that many writers, voice actors, and support people grow exponentially with each new component you add. Please do the math.

Sure, we will gobble it up. I'm a content locust like the rest of us and I would be done with it in hours and with my alts run it several times over. It is more efficient to have factional stories with slight nods to class in dialogue etc. But what I am suggesting is the payoff is not in the consumption of those stories, but the number of players who will continue coming back for class stories.

Our friend Luna is not alone in championing class stories. Look at our favorite poll that rises to the surface from time to time. Despite it's flaws, that sample clearly shows us that class stories are a wanted item. What I am suggesting is adding to brand loyalty by sticking with class stories, the thing that made this MMO stand out significantly. But doing it in a way that is manageable. Resetting expectations so Chapters are an amalgam of short episodes. Using these stories as a vehicle to sell stuff and introduce new features. The lack of efficiency will pay off in brand loyalty, and increase revenues IMO.

Edited by Rafaman

They are already doing this, but with 2 faction stories instead of 8 class stories plus faction stories. Here is the question you should be asking.

Would you wait five times longer between updates than you do now?

That's how long it would take for BW to create 8 class stories in addition to 2 faction stories. At least that long, but likely much longer, because the logistics of working with that many writers, voice actors, and support people grow exponentially with each new component you add. Please do the math.

My proposal would be that not all 8 are done every time. Yes, I realize that would cause qq to rival the balance threads but if there is a rotation all the stories can be touched with a final release at the end of the year putting it all together.

Just keep throwing the story bread crumbs out there. Even if it is not all at once.

Both!

You're reiterating the same fallacy that loads of other people around here tote about as if it were obviously true. The developers can work on more than one thing at a time. Actually, they can work on many different things at one time. There are art people and story people and quest designers and engine coders and probably a few other specializations that are particular to the game. Game quest lines and CM items have very little overlap. There's no reason that you can't do both at the same time, with negligible additional investment.

Where you do get a conflict is when people want more FPs and new planets and new story lines. All of those are probably using similar teams. You're going to have to prioritize and schedule a bit. And if you plan on doing anything for the whining minority of PvP players, then you have to get the game balance team involved, too.

Considering the lessons the community has taught them (MMO players are simultaneously voracious and lazy, racing to the "end" of content, and showing little interest in exploring), I wouldn't be at all surprised at their decision to focus on planetary story content. You can either produce an hour of content for 8 classes, or 4 hours of content for 2 factions. Although, considering the added efficiency of fewer tasks, you could probably do 6 hours of content 2 factions in the same amount of time. With players eager to inhale content as if it were a race to prove how attractive they are, it delivers more of what they want and might give you a week (rather than 3 days) until they start whining that the game is dying because they ran out of content.

Both!

You're reiterating the same fallacy that loads of other people around here tote about as if it were obviously true. The developers can work on more than one thing at a time. Actually, they can work on many different things at one time. There are art people and story people and quest designers and engine coders and probably a few other specializations that are particular to the game. Game quest lines and CM items have very little overlap. There's no reason that you can't do both at the same time, with negligible additional investment.

Where you do get a conflict is when people want more FPs and new planets and new story lines. All of those are probably using similar teams. You're going to have to prioritize and schedule a bit. And if you plan on doing anything for the whining minority of PvP players, then you have to get the game balance team involved, too.

Considering the lessons the community has taught them (MMO players are simultaneously voracious and lazy, racing to the "end" of content, and showing little interest in exploring), I wouldn't be at all surprised at their decision to focus on planetary story content. You can either produce an hour of content for 8 classes, or 4 hours of content for 2 factions. Although, considering the added efficiency of fewer tasks, you could probably do 6 hours of content 2 factions in the same amount of time. With players eager to inhale content as if it were a race to prove how attractive they are, it delivers more of what they want and might give you a week (rather than 3 days) until they start whining that the game is dying because they ran out of content.

/Agree.

I really don't see what TUXs is up to there. He's a smart guy... so I'm sure he knows that trying to conflate and map CM and in game content development as a conflict of resources is conspiracy theory nonsense.

Both!

I'm not suggesting they can only do one or the other. I'm saying that offering to pony up a few extra $ isn't going to sway them. The $ they make off the CM vs. the minimal investment it costs to produce items for the CM eclipses what they could potentially make from selling a story update. They've made it clear they have no plans, even if showered with $$$, to develop more class quests. They seem to believe they get more bang for their development $ doing it with faction arcs.

Both!

Of course they have to pick what to work on. They have a budget and everything they do has a cost associated with it. CM content has a much higher return on investment, especially when you consider that much of it is simple re-colors, or assemblies of previously done art components.

If Class Story content is created ( and the patch/expansion delay accepted by the community ) the devs could release small bits of our story with each little patch. Just like a TV series! You provide a steady, small amount of story to keep your player base entertained. It could potentially keep players '' hooked up '' since they would want to know what happens to their character in the next few weeks.

While I like the idea of frequent updates to class story (like a personalized version of the GW2 living story) it'll never happen with these guys. They're focused on the CM first and world arcs second. They probably don't even have the people that made those class stories in the first place as employees anymore.

While I like the idea of frequent updates to class story (like a personalized version of the GW2 living story) it'll never happen with these guys. They're focused on the CM first and world arcs second. They probably don't even have the people that made those class stories in the first place as employees anymore.

That really wouldn't prevent them from expanding the stories.

Of course, what they could do to encourage players to become subscribers is to offer the '' tiny class story episodes '' with each new Cartel Pack to Free-to-Play and Preferred players. Subscribers would get the class stories for free. Henceforth, a new and original way to encourage people to subscribe to Star Wars : The Old Republic or buy additional Cartel Coins to enjoy the story :D

Wait, did you really just say that they can do four times as much by doing four times less.

I mean, I know they won't do more class stories. Hell, given how Makeb ended up pretty banal I'd be shocked if they actually put any effort into faction stories, especially when it's considerably more lucrative to use Cartel Pack sticks on their customer piñatas.

But you can't mathematically equate five levels of content done eight times over to five levels of content done twice. It's still less content.

Yes, another thread about class story! How original. But it is, in a good way. The devs said that Class Stories will most likely never happen again.

Now, let's try something. Hypothetically speaking, would you, the player, be willing to wait for a patch / expansion delay if there was a 100% chance class stories would make a comeback? Now i realize that some of you will say '' yes, but once we clear through the story, we need to wait all over again ''. That is understandable, but a solution might be possible. Let me explain :

Now this whole post is just food for thought. I do not inquire anything, it's just for fun and speculations on how this imagined scenario would work out.

As a player, I already have to wait for content. I can consume it faster than the developers can create it. That is an unbending fact in MMO's.

So would I wait longer for class-based story? Why? What would the point be?

Why does it have to be class-based?

Would I wait longer for GSF-based story?

Would I wait longer for a Gungan-based story?

Would I wait longer for a story involving dewbacks?

Why should I or anyone care about the basis of the story?

Why can't we just care that we're getting good story? Entertaining story? Compelling story? Story that makes us feel like our characters are participating? Stories that put our characters to tough decisions sometimes?

Why do they have to be class-based stories? Seriously, what is the obsession with them? Could someone who is massively obsessed with class stories please explain why it has to be class and nothing else will satisfy?

If you want a categorization, categorize on author. I want more Alexander Freed story. I don't care if it's Empire, Republic, Dread Masters, Makeb, Gungans, Ewoks, Sand People, or mynocks. I will play it if he wrote it. Why? Because from experience, I know it will be entertaining, immersive, compelling, and thought-provoking.

Edited by DarthTHC

As a player, I already have to wait for content. I can consume it faster than the developers can create it. That is an unbending fact in MMO's.

So would I wait longer for class-based story? Why? What would the point be?

Why does it have to be class-based?

Would I wait longer for GSF-based story?

Would I wait longer for a Gungan-based story?

Would I wait longer for a story involving dewbacks?

Why should I or anyone care about the basis of the story?

Why can't we just care that we're getting good story? Entertaining story? Compelling story? Story that makes us feel like our characters are participating? Stories that put our characters to tough decisions sometimes?

Why do they have to be class-based stories? Seriously, what is the obsession with them? Could someone who is massively obsessed with class stories please explain why it has to be class and nothing else will satisfy?

If you want a categorization, categorize on author. I want more Alexander Freed story. I don't care if it's Empire, Republic, Dread Masters, Makeb, Gungans, Ewoks, Sand People, or mynocks. I will play it if he wrote it. Why? Because from experience, I know it will be entertaining, immersive, compelling, and thought-provoking.

Well if you want a story about the Emperor's Wrath working for the Emperor through the Emperor's Hands with Vette,Quinn and crew, you need a warrior story. Ditto for the other 7 classes. Each one has specific things they would naturally be doing in unique ways of doing them with their crews who would actually speak up once in a while. Like a biography, a character doesn't end when they first ascend to power and their relationships aren't static. Would you be content with a biography of Elizabeth 1 if it ended when she was crowned queen? I want to see the rest of their stories, not just the early rise to power chapters.

If you did not get attached to the characters and their companions while you leveled and just want to see a story about someone doing whatever for the Empire/Republic and don't care about who that person is or was or how that individual would tackle the job or interact with others, then faction stories are fine.

The faction based stories they have so far created are not nearly as "entertaining, immersive, compelling, and thought-provoking" as the original class stories are. They set the bar high and are now doing limbo with it :p

*This is my opinion. Some share it, others don't.