ENDGAME UPDATE: Space

EnkiduNineEight

I enjoyed the space game in SWG very much.

BUT.........

We already pay to play SWTOR, so why would EA vest the time and resources into a project like this.

SWG space was pretty fun but it did very little to help the population there, so it's doubtfull that space would bring an influx of the playerbase.

The majority of MMO players lean toward fantasy games so space content isnt that great a deal to them, and once again the starwars fans are already here and aleady paying so the incentive for EA is very low.

(I do like your ideas, i just dont think EA is focused much on that kind of stuff)

Edited by kirorx

Space combat is an extra minigame to pass time in this game, if you say it's not what people have been expecting, that imo isn't true.. people knew what to expect from the space game before launch..

Not really, space combat is so disappointing specialy because it is not like the one shown in trailers before the launch and it is a game that you can play on your Android phone kinda makes me ask why is it in a MMORPG??? And yes this current space combat is total bore you dont need skill to shoot the enemy ships its just shoots for you you just have to target them its really really bad here is how it should look like

I enjoyed the space game in SWG very much.

BUT.........

We already pay to play SWTOR, so why would EA vest the time and resources into a project like this.

SWG space was pretty fun but it did very little to help the population there, so it's doubtfull that space would bring an influx of the playerbase.

The majority of MMO players lean toward fantasy games so space content isnt that great a deal to them, and once again the starwars fans are already here and aleady paying so the incentive for EA is very low.

(I do like your ideas, i just dont think EA is focused much on that kind of stuff)

Space combat would bind the people that are still here atleast, imagine if they could make it like two guild capital ships fighting eachother it would be great fun and much more entertaining and will need skill and effort so that it can be done heres how it should basicly look

Not really, space combat is so disappointing specialy because it is not like the one shown in trailers before the launch and it is a game that you can play on your Android phone kinda makes me ask why is it in a MMORPG??? And yes this current space combat is total bore you dont need skill to shoot the enemy ships its just shoots for you you just have to target them its really really bad here is how it should look like

I wouldn't play it if it was like that, i pay for an mmorpg, not a space flight sim

and i am one of those who enjoy the on rail minigame to pass time while waiting for crafts etc.

Which is why we should focus not on taking away, with any suggestion... not just this one, aspects of the game that already exist, but look at how we can use the same systems to create new game expereicnes for people who would like something else.

This minimises the amount of development work that needs to be done to add the change, while keeping the game available in the same way for people who are already enjoying what they have.

I think my suggestion accomplishes that. By adding 'warzones' where you play as your ship AND creating one or more 'free space' zones where instead of going to a planet as your avatar you go to a 'space zone' as your ship we allow people to have additional experiences while preserving the original ones.

And these zones and their use would help extend the 'endgame' so that players have more to do and this, hopefully, helps keep them engaged and playing.

Edited by EnkiduNineEight

Anyone else have any feedback? Good or bad.. I'm happy for feedback. Bad feedback with detailed reasons why you don't like the idea can be read, and responded to with perhaps modifications to the original idea or a better explanation of it that addresses the concerns.

Is this what they call a bump?

Well there are multiple rulesets on the servers. Some allow open world PVP and others do not. The 'free space' sections where you have what is essentially a 'planetary map' without the plante and a big cuve of space with asteroid mining, pirates, etc.. would be available in both rule sets.

So they would have an area to adventure as their 'ship'. It would just have ore danger in a PVP ruleset as it would be open world pvp capabale.

So non pvp players on a non pvp server would still be able to go asteroid mining, blasting pirates, etc.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think your idea sounds like a neat one, except with one huge problem... PVP. It's not for everyone, and definitely not for me.

I'd love to see a co-op PVE space game, with missions, kind of like Wing Commander or something, but with a control scheme similar to Freelancer. If we're talking about starting small, that would be a great start.

Ultimately, something like Taikodon or Star Trek Online would be amazing. If the current engine won't support those types of mechanics, I wouldn't mind seeing EA/Bioware come out with a sister game that's set in the SWTOR universe, perhaps with some crossover, kind of like what CCP is doing with Eve and Dust 514.

Then again, Star Citizen looks like it's on track for 2015. So Bioware, you have until then to grab players looking for that kind of experience. Get on it!

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Just Necroing this thread, most all of these ideas have been around awhile but getting new eyes and ideas on it, some discussion going is good.

While I suggested the possibility of PvP in Space, there could easily be zones/areas where PvP isn't possible. Look at Voss as an example. So while the rewards for resource gathering/space mining in PVP areas could be higher, there could be areas where PVP can't occur.

My suggestion would be to have either 'beacons' to form an artificial border indicating 'unpatrolled space' as well as a pop up warning you are entering unpatrolled space, or maybe having areas just be more visually recognizable, maybe a slight haze of nebular gasses or something.

I think though, giving people more ability to use their ships in more situations is a good idea. Put the space in Space Opera.