Some sith/republic stories not really compatible with each other?

Felioats

I get that no one wants to be on the losing side, and so I thought the writers had somehow managed to let everyone "win" without directly conflicting stories cross-faction. It makes sense -- they wouldn't want to have to maintain two different narratives. The Balmorra-Taris relationship is what led me to this assumption.

Generally when you finish a planet's main mission line, victory is all but assured, and you leave it to local forces to mop up. Otherwise, it wouldn't make sense for the other faction to continue to have a presence. And you can sort of suspend disbelief that both sides fought to an almost-victory.

But other things are harder to get around.

My Agent got to the "victory is assured" stage with the Voss, but my Consular secured an actual alliance and made use of Voss commandos on another world.

And more damning:

My Agent wiped out the Green Jedi on Corellia. My Consular saved them.

Edited by Felioats

Myeah. The class quests generally seem to work alongside each other, but the more general planet quests are a little more unclear.

Hoth, for example, paints the Republic as in a desperate state when you first arrive, having only just surviving a direct assault on their main base of operations, and the Empire as being on the verge of overwhelming them and driving them off planet. The Empire perspective meanwhile explains that they have only a token force there, relying on sabotage and small unit tactics. "PItched battles are lost battles", as we're told. And then, later, the Republic eliminates the Hailstorm Brotherhood with the assistance of the Empire, but no such alliance is reflected in the Empire equivilant quests.

In the case of Quesh, they're literally mutually exclusive from one another. Various characters from one faction die or are captured in the quests for the other side in such a way that they can't both have happened.

It's a bit of a mess at times, and I would conclude that the only planet quests that are considered as having happened are the ones for whichever side you're currently playing if not for the times when they do work alongside each other, as with places like Nar Shaddaa.

Edited by Bleeters

I can't remember the Voss storyline enough to comment on it, but in regards to the green jedi, the imps merely defeated the council. That doesn't mean that all of the Green Jedi were wiped out.

Edit: In regards to Quesh, it's generally agreed that the imp storyline occurred first, then the republic, with the assumption that the lightside choice is made by the imperials at the end of the quest.

Edited by Murillio

The explination is this:

Republic Taris is before Imperial Taris. You come and do your work, and then afterwards the Empire come and ruin it all.

Likewise Imperial Balmora is before Republic Balmora and the same goes for Corelia.

So the stories does match, but they just take place at the same time.

I get that no one wants to be on the losing side, and so I thought the writers had somehow managed to let everyone "win" without directly conflicting stories cross-faction. It makes sense -- they wouldn't want to have to maintain two different narratives. The Balmorra-Taris relationship is what led me to this assumption.

Generally when you finish a planet's main mission line, victory is all but assured, and you leave it to local forces to mop up. Otherwise, it wouldn't make sense for the other faction to continue to have a presence. And you can sort of suspend disbelief that both sides fought to an almost-victory.

But other things are harder to get around.

My Agent got to the "victory is assured" stage with the Voss, but my Consular secured an actual alliance and made use of Voss commandos on another world.

And more damning:

My Agent wiped out the Green Jedi on Corellia. My Consular saved them.

The Voss don't form an Alliance with you in the Councilor ending, they say they will consider it, and the Voss you have helping on the planet takes his forces (which is the Voss comandos) and joins you to see the galaxy.

The class stories can be explained because the events of each class take place at different times within the story. The only real story inconsistencies I know of are on Hoth Master Sav is killed in both the Republic and Imperial planet quest line and on Alderaan Boris Ulgo is killed or captured by both the Empire and Republic in the planet quest lines. I suppose both could be explained though because Master Sav is said to have an extreme knack for survival and Boris Ulgo could have escaped or been busted out if he was canonically captured in at least one of the planet quest lines.

• 2 weeks later...
The class stories can be explained because the events of each class take place at different times within the story. The only real story inconsistencies I know of are on Hoth Master Sav is killed in both the Republic and Imperial planet quest line and on Alderaan Boris Ulgo is killed or captured by both the Empire and Republic in the planet quest lines. I suppose both could be explained though because Master Sav is said to have an extreme knack for survival and Boris Ulgo could have escaped or been busted out if he was canonically captured in at least one of the planet quest lines.

When it comes to clashing faction quests (ie, Boris Ulgo, Hammer Station, the Rakatan Prison) I would just toss up a winner and claim the rest got there too late (or even failed). (The Sith Warrior killed Ulgo, the Republic led the raid on Hammer Station, the Trooper located the Rakatan Prison before the Sith Inquisitor). I mean, the Scream of Ragnos can get shot down over Zosha so many times...

There are inconsistencies, but like others have stated the timeline resolves many of them. By the end of Act III:

Taris is in the Empire's hands. Saresh has left to become Supreme Chancellor and any hopes of reclaiming that planet have been dashed.

Balmorra is freed and on its way to joining the Republic. While the Imperial classes put down an earlier rebellion, when the Republic classes get there they kick butt especially Darth Lachris.

Corellia is freed, the Empire has expended huge forces there primarily because the Darth Baras and Darth Thanaton's forces were busy fighting the Sith classes and the IA was off fighting the Space Illuminati to that ridiculous conclusion. Ironically, the Bounty Hunter winds up doing the most for the Imperial war effort. By contrast, every single one of the Republic classes are systematically dismantling the Empire's hold on Corellia. Taken together, it's just epic when you think about them all being done together. Smuggler dismantles the top Naval Admiral, the Trooper dismantles the Imperial Army's leader, the Consular roots out the Sith Children and the First Son and the Knight takes apart the Emperor's voice.

Alderaan, as noted by others, just can't have been done by both factions. The other planets don't see so bad.

Alderaan, as noted by others, just can't have been done by both factions.

There is a way for Alderaan to make sense: It is unclear who captures/kills King Ulgo, but someone does. After that, there is a peace conference (Jedi Consular Class Quest). If the Light Side outcome is canon (which is most likely), all Houses agree to end the war. Alderaan stays neutral and the decision who inherits the throne is postponed.

The alternative dark side outcome is that all Houses (inlcuding Organa and Thul) agree that it's all House Ulgo's fault and they have to go into exile. Ulgo doesn't agree so they all form an alliance to drive them off the planet by force.

(I'm not sure how the Alderaan Bonus series interferes with this, though. I haven't played it yet.)

There is a way for Alderaan to make sense: It is unclear who captures/kills King Ulgo, but someone does. After that, there is a peace conference (Jedi Consular Class Quest). If the Light Side outcome is canon (which is most likely), all Houses agree to end the war. Alderaan stays neutral and the decision who inherits the throne is postponed.

The alternative dark side outcome is that all Houses (inlcuding Organa and Thul) agree that it's all House Ulgo's fault and they have to go into exile. Ulgo doesn't agree so they all form an alliance to drive them off the planet by force.

(I'm not sure how the Alderaan Bonus series interferes with this, though. I haven't played it yet.)

Well since both bonus quests involve the war going on, the Rep has them helping Organa fight Ulgo and to slow down their advance. The Imp has you fight Kiliiks while Thul beats up Organa.

So just ignore the JC world quest, cause the game sure does. :D