PvP ARENA ?!

DanielKolstad

No, It wouldn't be a good idea with class balance as is, and no BW aren't going to implement anything PvP related that costs them any money. Heck, we're still waiting on cross server warzones, and ranked season 1.

No, It wouldn't be a good idea with class balance as is, and no BW aren't going to implement anything PvP related that costs them any money. Heck, we're still waiting on cross server warzones, and ranked season 1.

It would be amasing! Then people will try to get better gear and much more players will be starting playing again.

It would be amasing! Then people will try to get better gear and much more players will be starting playing again.

What? How would completely unbalanced arenas be any different than warzones with regards people trying to get better gear?

What class do you play?

Edit: Forget it, too much effort to argue, but suffice it to say that in any small scale PvP the dueling classes will dominate. So 2 sins and an operative or whatever will pretty much wipe the floor with everyone. Besides, see my second point about cost. Not going to happen.

Edited by Jherad

Would you care to explain what an arena is? Is it a small pvp location without any terrain advantages/los? You pitch an idea for something but never explain what it is. So i don't know if I support it or not since you never explained what it is, but as someone else mentioned cross-server warzones should come first, in my opinion.

Basing from what other folks have said I'm guessing its under 8man team fights or 1v1?

Edited by BardaTheHobo

unbalanced? Its pretty balanced i think

A team without healers is losing. Thats how it is.

People claim imbalance when the health pools are so low that they get 2 shot. Sorcs are on the line of too powerful but now that myself and my mates are getting health pools of 28-32k(38k for the tank), it is much more balanced.

Arena has been a hot topic since release. BW has already addressed it several times, including the first Guild Summit. They wanted to let ToR develop and allow a base to be established before it could be effectively turned for arena and an E-sport. That was the gist of what I read, though that was a while ago.

I actually think 3v3 arena would be really interesting. To see Tank/healer/DPS teams going against trip-DPS gib teams... Can't wait to twitch those videos:)

Would you care to explain what an arena is? Is it a small pvp location without any terrain advantages/los? You pitch an idea for something but never explain what it is. So i don't know if I support it or not since you never explained what it is, but as someone else mentioned cross-server warzones should come first, in my opinion.

Basing from what other folks have said I'm guessing its under 8man team fights or 1v1?

He is referring to WoW's style of arena. Teams of 2v2, 3v3, etc in a closed arena WITH different terrain and features allowing for LoS, kiting and the like.

People claim imbalance when the health pools are so low that they get 2 shot. Sorcs are on the line of too powerful but now that myself and my mates are getting health pools of 28-32k(38k for the tank), it is much more balanced.

Arena has been a hot topic since release. BW has already addressed it several times, including the first Guild Summit. They wanted to let ToR develop and allow a base to be established before it could be effectively turned for arena and an E-sport. That was the gist of what I read, though that was a while ago.

I actually think 3v3 arena would be really interesting. To see Tank/healer/DPS teams going against trip-DPS gib teams... Can't wait to twitch those videos:)

Now that what i call a good answer :)

Oh please, it has absolutely nothing to do with health pools, and everything to do with the fact that smaller teams magnify balance discrepancies.

You think a 'balanced' team would last 2 minutes against 3 stacked stealthers? I beg to disagree. Leave it to WoW (who regrets implementing it).

This again?

No. Go back to WoW.

Understandable. I don't want a carbon-copy of WoW's arena, but there is a HUGE opportunity for BW when they decide to bring something like this out.

This is the "Rise of the Hutt Cartel" Expansion? Introduce a Hutt sanctioned arena. Not just teams fighting teams, but an arena where OTHER people can watch live... Maybe even place bets on the winners??? I would fully back that and can just imagine if they implemented it how many people would enjoy sitting on Nar Shaddah or whatever to root people on.

I can haz dev job BW?

He is referring to WoW's style of arena. Teams of 2v2, 3v3, etc in a closed arena WITH different terrain and features allowing for LoS, kiting and the like.

Ah ok, thank you for clearing it up, I have never played wow so I am not 100% sure what it is exactly still lol, but it seems like small team pvp matches (just googled wow arenas for more details). I do wish though if someone is going to reference something from another game they would say where it is coming from so I can at least look up what they are talking about if I never played that particular game/mmo before heh.

Edited by BardaTheHobo

You think a 'balanced' team would last 2 minutes against 3 stacked stealthers?

Yup. Did it today... A well timed guard from a tank, fast changes and skill > class mechanics and bolster.

3 "stacked stealthers"? So you are saying that their gear is the imbalance and not the bolster or class mechanics... I can only argue one at a time.

Yes, an operative can catch me off-guard while healing and kill me. But you can't complain that bolster/imbalance is the problem when you aren't geared enough or they are geared more than you. The best players aren't on here complaining, they learned how to adjust.

just sayin'

So pvp is currently balanced right ok......... those 6k mauls spammed 2x by 3 shadows wont drop anyone in seconds or those "working as intended" pt's are still viable or what about a 3x healer team where would the challenge be 3x sage would be impossible to kill with the immunity bubble it would be imba also who on earth wouldn't take certain classes i think ranged would suffer as a whole how would a immobile turret class fair in a pillar hugging match? Not very well ranked hasn't started so i doubt arenas will come anytime soon.

"working as intended".

You wearing WH/EWH gear at 55 and being suprised that you are under-performing isn't what BW calls "working as intended" either.

BTW VG/PT are fine if you're not a moron. Ours is still a beast, the only thing that changed was the skill of the operator is apparent.

Why not, it'll give BW something else to screw up horribly, and then act like nothing is wrong as 3 or 4 classes absolutely dominate the arena, and the other 4 are left in the dust while people go 'well, clearly only the decent players are playing those classes cuz everything's perfectly balanced!' and BW goes 'I READ A POST WHERE THIS CLASS WAS CALLED OP SO WE WILL NERF IT, DOES NOT MATTER THAT THIS CLASS IS NEVER TAKEN IN ARENAS AND RWZ IT IS OP IN 10-29 WZ SO WE WILL NERF IT HARD SO HARD OMG R WE GOOD DEVS YET!?!?!'

That's exactly what'll happen.

Why not, it'll give BW something else to screw up horribly, and then act like nothing is wrong as 3 or 4 classes absolutely dominate the arena, and the other 4 are left in the dust while people go 'well, clearly only the decent players are playing those classes cuz everything's perfectly balanced!' and BW goes 'I READ A POST WHERE THIS CLASS WAS CALLED OP SO WE WILL NERF IT, DOES NOT MATTER THAT THIS CLASS IS NEVER TAKEN IN ARENAS AND RWZ IT IS OP IN 10-29 WZ SO WE WILL NERF IT HARD SO HARD OMG R WE GOOD DEVS YET!?!?!'

That's exactly what'll happen.

I play a Combat Medic Commando. I break 1 mil heals and 1300-1500HPS consistently and am on par with other healering classes. RWZ teams will have more DPS sorcs because it allows a player to substitute a lot of lacking skill for a class that is very good right now. The same as the exodus from VG/PT because they are "bad". Lulz.

Where was all this outrage when DK's were stupid OP in WoW? You were too busy claiming to have skill while playing one.

This is the "Rise of the Hutt Cartel" Expansion? Introduce a Hutt sanctioned arena. Not just teams fighting teams, but an arena where OTHER people can watch live... Maybe even place bets on the winners??? I would fully back that and can just imagine if they implemented it how many people would enjoy sitting on Nar Shaddah or whatever to root people on.

I like the idea, so why not start a fight club on your server? Sanctioned tournaments w/ payouts, betting, bribing players to take a dive...all sounds like a fun metagame.

Because let's just be honest here. BioWare will **** it up. Player-driven content = best content. Use the pit on Tatooine, or find some other cool place to have the tournaments. Some of those platform areas of Makeb would be cool, especially near falling or lava hazards.

I like the idea, so why not start a fight club on your server? Sanctioned tournaments w/ payouts, betting, bribing players to take a dive...all sounds like a fun metagame.

Because let's just be honest here. BioWare will **** it up. Player-driven content = best content. Use the pit on Tatooine, or find some other cool place to have the tournaments. Some of those platform areas of Makeb would be cool, especially near falling or lava hazards.

We already do. The Bastion had a massive 2v2 tournament that spanned a month or two. BW would be able to create venues for it. I like the idea of Nar Shaddah kind of like a boxing match in Vegas. Complete with seating and a scoreboard. If you ever played the first KOTOR, the deathmatches on Taris were what I was thinking along the lines of.

NO. not just a "no" but a HELL NO. The reason why classes can be balanced, is because they are balanced around an 8 man team, same with PvE. In that other POS game that has arenas, devs said themselves they regret implementing it because they could not correctly class balance. Classes and games are not meant be balanced around 2v2, 1v1, 3v3, etc. What ends up happening is in order to balance you get homogenization of classes, which makes for a total waste and boring game. In theory arena sounds great, but in practice it will f*** up PvP.