Space gameplay concepts. Compiled works of multi posters.

Shingara

I like the sandbox environment but Im not totally sold on Sandboxish class system.

Having some Ultra do it all ship and piloting skills seems sortof 'copy paste' everyone will eventually be the exact same best ship..

If I could on the other hand rebuild and modify my ship over time in order to choose my role, I would take the time to try out each role and have a ton of pride in my hodgepodge cutsom built Starship.

Choosing between an agile engile or a speed focused engine or a pull/tow engine, that Costed alot or had to be quested for or built with mutliple craft skills, would make it feel personal.

Also the space and ground mixed op reminded me of the stuff in my signature lol

(that might've been a small plug)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the sandbox environment but Im not totally sold on Sandboxish class system.

Having some Ultra do it all ship and piloting skills seems sortof 'copy paste' everyone will eventually be the exact same best ship..

If I could on the other hand rebuild and modify my ship over time in order to choose my role, I would take the time to try out each role and have a ton of pride in my hodgepodge cutsom built Starship.

Choosing between an agile engile or a speed focused engine or a pull/tow engine, that Costed alot or had to be quested for or built with mutliple craft skills, would make it feel personal.

Also the space and ground mixed op reminded me of the stuff in my signature lol

(that might've been a small plug)

I think you miss understood it a bit, the point of learning all skills once max level in space is the multiplayer ship aspect of it, it wouldnt be that when your in a ship on your own you have use of all those skills its just a case that you wont be stuck on one roll in space, you could be a gunner, pilot or incharge of the systems etc.

And with the ships its meant so that when you are top level you arnt restricted to one ship type, you could be a crafter and miner for example so will spend most your time in one of the mining ships but you shouldnt be expected to use those in pvp so you will still have the skills to fly other ships and when new ships came out or you got new ships via the systems put forward here you could fly them. Works on mass and bulk to specific ship types and advantages and disadvantes to them.

And the system of hand building your ship is in this project, thanks for reading and taking an intrest.

Edited by Shingara

JTL space combat is the type of system any true SW fan thinks of when they think of space combat. This thing BW have release makes it laughable. I loved swg for its space addon, and honestly believe BW made a huge mistake in the fly by rail piece of junk they try to pass off. I'm not 7, i want the control to go where i want. I want to kill things my way and not be forced on a guided tour of space.

Hope they really look into changing this, but as mmo's go, the producers rarely make a change to a crap product.

The thing that made star wars epic was it's massive space battles, and ground wars.

Perhaps instead of (or on top of) an ability talent system for space, the ability to change how your ship is rigged and tuned.

For example, two players may have the same base star fighter, but one has rigged the power to go mostly toward sheilds and engines, and has a harpoon and tow cable so he can fling enemies into eachother or tow an enemy through asteroids and mines or a shooting gallery, while the other has rigged up special blasters and has taken shields more or less out of the picture. Maybe one ship can shoot further, or has a stealth generator, etc.

The point is to create a ground-combat style skill tree system using reconfigurable rigging on the ships. Each ship would have access to different trees, much like each class has three trees in the ground game.

Access to these levels or points of rigging to spend could be based off of mission rewards or skill level. The effect would be to create some versatility in how ships are used, and would add flavor to group combat. The rigging could be changed provided the player had the skill and the parts, though changing might take a companion or two for a while. This way, if you are a bounty on the bounty PVP system, you could go all shields and engines, and if you were "Black Marketeering" to use a term other than smuggling, you could go stealth rather than shields, and if recon/espionage, you could go stealth and sensors, and pirates can go guns and engines.

***Edit

You could also make advancement based off of engine/drive system rewards. You could choose what to equip based on what is available for your ship and how much power you have to go around. If each element uses a baseline amount of power, and then consumes power on use, the drive system's specs limit your capability. You only have x amount of power generation and y amount of energy storage, so I'm afraid the deathstar cannon will have to sit this one out.

You could over equip, say you have an amazingly fast hyperdrive, but to start it up it needs a 10 seconds to charge, and you can have to shut down your blasters in order to charge it. If you decide to turn your blasters back on, they'll need 8 seconds to charge, before you can use them, too.

There are some nice drives available, but they are from the R&D department, and are not given to just anyone...

Edited by Mahashi

Perhaps instead of (or on top of) an ability talent system for space, the ability to change how your ship is rigged and tuned.

For example, two players may have the same base star fighter, but one has rigged the power to go mostly toward sheilds and engines, and has a harpoon and tow cable so he can fling enemies into eachother or tow an enemy through asteroids and mines or a shooting gallery, while the other has rigged up special blasters and has taken shields more or less out of the picture. Maybe one ship can shoot further, or has a stealth generator, etc.

The point is to create a ground-combat style skill tree system using reconfigurable rigging on the ships. Each ship would have access to different trees, much like each class has three trees in the ground game.

Access to these levels or points of rigging to spend could be based off of mission rewards or skill level. The effect would be to create some versatility in how ships are used, and would add flavor to group combat. The rigging could be changed provided the player had the skill and the parts, though changing might take a companion or two for a while. This way, if you are a bounty on the bounty PVP system, you could go all shields and engines, and if you were "Black Marketeering" to use a term other than smuggling, you could go stealth rather than shields, and if recon/espionage, you could go stealth and sensors, and pirates can go guns and engines.

***Edit

You could also make advancement based off of engine/drive system rewards. You could choose what to equip based on what is available for your ship and how much power you have to go around. If each element uses a baseline amount of power, and then consumes power on use, the drive system's specs limit your capability. You only have x amount of power generation and y amount of energy storage, so I'm afraid the deathstar cannon will have to sit this one out.

You could over equip, say you have an amazingly fast hyperdrive, but to start it up it needs a 10 seconds to charge, and you can have to shut down your blasters in order to charge it. If you decide to turn your blasters back on, they'll need 8 seconds to charge, before you can use them, too.

There are some nice drives available, but they are from the R&D department, and are not given to just anyone...

I can see where your coming from with the ships, but the way we have set them up is for the 3 different types to have advantages and disadvantages, that way no ship has an imba flavour of the month. With them working on mass and your idea for the harpoon being the mining/largest ship which also tied to the concept of space scavanging of other ships and asteroid mining and towing it wouldnt fit.

Also trying to justify how a small fighter could physically pull a much larger ship plus move itself wouldnt be workable with the idea of engines, think of them like cars and trucks, smallest ones have the highest revs and fastest 0-60 lets say and the bigger ships have engines that have a 0-60 thats the slowest but has the most power in it for torque that makes sense. as the engine with more torque is going tobe alot larger then the higher revving engine. Thus the Bulk wouldnt fit in the smaller ship, and you have a mix of both worlds by the frigates.

For the edited part, thats what the skills system in this does and the later part is covered under ship scavanging and crafting. ty for the interest.

Edited by Shingara

• 2 weeks later...
After being falsly accussed of something i shall no longer be maintaining and collecting any ideas,topics and information provided by players on the forums for this compilation of threads. anyone that wants to take over feel free but im outta here and no longer gonna do something bioware should have done in the 1st place.

• 2 weeks later...
After being falsly accussed of something i shall no longer be maintaining and collecting any ideas,topics and information provided by players on the forums for this compilation of threads. anyone that wants to take over feel free but im outta here and no longer gonna do something bioware should have done in the 1st place.

My curiosity got the better of me, so i have to ask, did they accuse you of data mining? If they did, thats good, because your great ideas may allready be in the game..... Somewhere

Edited by Selenial

I want to know when the goose stepping marketing ninjas are going to stop having the community mods dump the space threads in the suggestion box.

Unless they'd like to finally acknowledge, that space on rails needs to be reconsidered? I mean, if we have it, why can't we discuss it generally? Like a great many other things?

My curiosity got the better of me, so i have to ask, did they accuse you of data mining? If they did, thats good, because your great ideas may allready be in the game..... Somewhere

Smoothed over now, was an accident that i was accused.

Edited by Shingara

• 1 month later...
Hello and thank you for taking an interest in this subject, these ideas and concepts are from a group of people on the general forums i hope you enjoy some of what we have come up with. Thanks to myself, Faceshindu, Dazednconfused, Bluerodian, Greysix, Goretzu and many others. Disclosure these are purly concept ideas found across the server and mainly my own compiled into one place and nothing todo with the secret space project that is in the works even if we wish it were.

This is one of the best and most constructive posts I've seen in a long time.

Shingara you and the people who came up with this have some great ideas I just fear that EA/BioWare have sqandered the last few months concentrating on the f2p model and mt's instead of meaningful content like the concepts you describe here.

I share some similar ideas about the space game as well as many other aspects of the game and I was in the process of writing these ideas down to post on the forums when the f2p news broke at which point I stopped writing since I cancelled my sub.

My position is they are obviously free to take ToR in whatever direction they choose since it's their game, but it won't be with my support, however I hope I'm wrong I hope they listen to your ideas and get back into drawing their content inspirations from that wall of crazy we used to hear so much about before launch.

gl

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
has anyone seen the darth hater site about the data mining and noticed the New Reputation: Hutt Space Navigators;, who else thinks this is part of the ssp and how could it impact upon things within this topic. I stab at smuggling ;) Edited by Shingara

Love it, but I think a guild Capitol ship would be more fun than an asteroid base. The asteroid base just feels a bit too much like Hammer station.

Edit: oh, I forgot to mention! Allow us to name out ships, for other players to see in space! Looking at "Anysao's ship" every minute in PvP would be boring. I always dreamed of naming my Operative's ship The Moonbanger...

Edited by Anysao

Love it, but I think a guild Capitol ship would be more fun than an asteroid base. The asteroid base just feels a bit too much like Hammer station.

Edit: oh, I forgot to mention! Allow us to name out ships, for other players to see in space! Looking at "Anysao's ship" every minute in PvP would be boring. I always dreamed of naming my Operative's ship The Moonbanger...

The main reason we said guild stations were due to what could become balancing issues with space pvp, i still see guild ships being in this but more as vanity things to hang out on, the thing with stations too is that you can attack a station and defend it by launching your guilds ships from it, build it up and equip it with defenses. Think of it more along the lines of the smuggler outpost station aswell.

The thing with naming ships is a very good suggestion. so kudos on that one.

Edited by Shingara

They should remake the space combat entirely!

They should make it like the games: Star war Rogue Squadron. You can fly around as much as you want, and you have several different space ships. When they do this they got a lot more content available.

A game with the Star Wars theme has so much potential and they could also add in space races and something like podraces. You can also think of more possibilities that can broaden the edges of this game which can be mind-blowing with the right ideas and right executions.

I agree with this, almost completely! Additionally, they should make it so there is Space Warzones and mini-games we can play while we are waiting to be entered into a Flashpoint or Ops group or something to waste time on while your waiting in a que besides sitting on the fleet for about 30 minutes

The fact is something like this is going to be a full on major upgrade expansion at a value of 50-60 dollars. It's just too much stuff for a patch.

But honestly I think this NEEDS to come. Seriously I cannot get over the fact space is not a part of this game minus that ultra boring rail shooter. Heck today I looked at that Star Trek MMO just cuz I heard it had space combat. I checked out a few videos and was really impressed and I'm not a star trek fan in the least bit besides the j.j.abrams film.

I think they only make the space mission cos a star wars mmo need space bombat, but probly they regret it. Cos' it usless, whats the point to get ship gear? The space system is crap, specially for pvp, I prefer they do not make pvp wth this actual system. To be a pvp need to have more freedom. Like X-Wing vs Tie Figther and not a system like rebel assault.

I've made already suggestion to make the ship more atractive: A isntance and operation that you use your ship to play the first part. Specially if guilds have capital ship to run operations with it.

To check the idea click here ----> Space Instance/Operation

Other ideas:

Patch 1.x Guilds

Guild HQs

Guild's Quests/Story

World PvP Ideas

Denova (Rep vs. Imp PvP planet)

World Pvp My Ilum Map

Story with different paths

Legacy

I think they only make the space mission cos a star wars mmo need space bombat, but probly they regret it. Cos' it usless, whats the point to get ship gear? The space system is crap, specially for pvp, I prefer they do not make pvp wth this actual system. To be a pvp need to have more freedom. Like X-Wing vs Tie Figther and not a system like rebel assault.

I've made already suggestion to make the ship more atractive: A isntance and operation that you use your ship to play the first part. Specially if guilds have capital ship to run operations with it.

To check the idea click here ----> Space Instance/Operation

Other ideas:

Patch 1.x Guilds

Guild HQs

Guild's Quests/Story

World PvP Ideas

Denova (Rep vs. Imp PvP planet)

World Pvp My Ilum Map

Story with different paths

Legacy

If you look at the first page you will see what you have put down as your idea similar and very much more enlarged and expanded upon.

i like about 90% of these suggestions and while its been said that a new build of space combat is coming i think its unrealistic to expect that all of these would make it in the game. and for my money a theme-park based exploration of the galaxy is not a deal breaker as long as the quests themselves are off the rails (similar to the way the ground game is played). along with items that i brought up on an alternate thread:

So its really cool that i have my own star-ship (even though it looks like the millennium falcon and the ebon hawk and i can't name it) but why can't my friends man the turrets on my ship when i do a space mission? I mean i have extra chairs and extra turrets and the guild mates to man them. it would open a whole new level of space combat and add a little something to the 'on-rails' mini-game.

it would also give cause to travel together as a group. you could even add in ambushes as a random chance when you had people on board the ship, "Oh no an Imperial blockade! Man the turrets!" and everyone races for the weapon controls while the battle begins.

very much Like when Han, Luke and Leia escape from the Death Star after rescuing her from the detention block.

So 2.2 is out on the same day E3 starts, coincidence i think not, they wont even hint to what 2.2 is, coincidence i think not, could 2.2 be the sssp ?

I wish .. haha i'll take a random stab and say around 3.0 release ..

oh and humpity bumpity