Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course an update came barely a day after I decide not to resubscribe...

I still feel kind of strung along, mind; I have to wonder how long ago they decided to delay this with companions and why they sat on that information for so long, if nothing else it would've been nice to know two characters ago.

So I probably still won't re-sub; since my ops guild fizzled out I've basically just been re-rolling for the stories, and since this kind of poops on characters I wanted to make (and have already made) I guess it's as good a time as any for a break. I'll keep following and see what happens with companions in future, or if reviews of Makeb are just that good maybe I'll try and get back into ops after it launches... Call me fickle :rolleyes:.

I still feel kind of strung along, mind; I have to wonder how long ago they decided to delay this with companions and why they sat on that information for so long, if nothing else it would've been nice to know two characters ago.

I think they may have hesitated to put forward the info, unsure whether they'd implement it with Makeb or later. That's the only thing that really makes sense to me, and some incidents (like deleted tweets and such) support this notion.

Not sure why my post a page back was deleted, since it wasn't really off topic. Trying again.

Games like ME have romance options like Jack for instance, who is widely considered to be bisexual, even though I'm not sure whether she was ever available for SGR.

Would companions like Jack be in line with the SW canon, you know, androgynous folks, maybe even races/cultures that fit that description?

I'm thinking that a few characters like Jack would be good for implementing SGR for later companions in SWTOR, as OGR and SGR options.

Thoughts?

Ah, you said it better than I ever could. That is exactly how I feel about this whole thing as well.

I've watched your posts in dealing with some of the more touched of the trolls. You are my hero, Jedi.

/notworthy :p

Oh, stop! :o

It's nice to be noticed for something positive, though. I guess that for what I lack in productive enthusiasm, I make up with... whatever it is I'm doing.

I'm in favor of SGR, but 2% of the players will enjoy that.

New flashpoints 98% of the players will enjoy that, 2% just pvp.

~snip~

Contrary to popular belief, endgame players are actually in a minority. A vocal minority, but a minority still. The biggest group of players, at least according to WoW statistics from a few years back, simply dally about in the content available during the leveling portion of the game. For SWTOR, this group has likely grown further since the game went F2P.

So going by a "majority rules the new content" principle, what we should be getting is more regular leveling content. Except that would be largely pointless, since players who still have content to get through have no use for even more of it.

The only thing that makes sense is to court the enthusiasts. The people who are dedicated and talk about the game, and who'll get you get more customers through word-of-mouth. That's why they make Flashpoints, Warzones, Operations, Space Missions, new questing areas, and... can you guess what? Yes, same-gender romance content.

Content is content, even if it isn't traditionally associated with the MMO genre. And frankly? Screw tradition.

So since they already made the content without SGR, those who want it added in post launch in the past content, has lost traction since it's done with?

That's completely missing the point. Work hours and resources can't be "unspent" after the fact, which is why the argument that BioWare shouldn't be doing something that is already done... is moot.

You could argue against further content in the future, of course. I absolutely don't think you should, but you could.

Games like ME have romance options like Jack for instance, who is widely considered to be bisexual, even though I'm not sure whether she was ever available for SGR.

The thing about Jack in ME2 is that she uses sex as a weapon, due to how she grew up after she escaped the experiments she was put through during her childhood. She may have had sex with women in her past, willingly or coerced, but as far as actual attraction and romantic love goes she's straight.

Well, at least that's my interpretation. As disappointed as I was by the lack of any women interested in my Shepard beyond Kelly (and Liara in the DLC), it's how I see the character now.

Edited by JediMB

New content falls in line with missions/questing. If you don't enjoy that, yeah, why are you playing the game. In fact, if you don't enjoy pvp/fp/wz/raiding...basically anything that helps you level, outside of RPing, why would you be here?

The problem with the posters line of thinking, I already mentioned in a previous post.

I quest and do the story content...which is what SGRA's falls under. I'm not sure why you believe it is necessary to pvp/fp/wz/raid in order to level to 50. I've done it four times without doing any of those things. In fact, your argument back to me is as wrong as the guy who I was answering originally since it presumes a level of interest in aspects of the game that I simply do not have, and makes an assumption that the game must be played that way and that all people enjoy them.

Since they do not, your argument to me is equally invalid.

New content falls in line with missions/questing. If you don't enjoy that, yeah, why are you playing the game. In fact, if you don't enjoy pvp/fp/wz/raiding...basically anything that helps you level, outside of RPing, why would you be here?

The problem with the posters line of thinking, I already mentioned in a previous post.

This is just not how everyone plays. I've capped four characters at this point and am working on a fifth. My counts:

PVP matches: 0

Flashpoints: 1

Warzones: 0

Ops: Probably a couple dozen

Romance arcs: 3

For me, SGRAs are much more important than any PVP or group content.

In ME3 (IIRC) you were able to make advances to her as a femshep. She however did shut you down stating that she was not interested. Wich brings a good point : I would find it interesting if you could they implemented some conversations with companions or NPC where you were told they were not interested.

On the sugject of how they are introducing SGR while I applaud the effort I find it a bit puzzling. If I understand correctly Makeb will be for high level characters. Couls they not have added some NPC same gender flirts at lower levels ? It just seems strange to me that for the whole story there would be none and at the end then suddently they appear.

Oh well.... at least it is a move in the right direction

We who would like SGR's pay/paid just as much for the game, but we have zero options now and the options that will be added require the purchase of the expansion and do not include any companions that will be with you from the start of the game like Mako, Vette, and several other straight romance options. Will you have to go back to Makeb every time you want to see your love? Will every Lesbian in the game have to accept the same girl or have none at all? Will every homosexual man be in the same boat? I personally cannot stand any of the male companions as romance options. I would rather romance Skadge than Torian, but all we get to choose from are bodies 1-3 humans and one Twiilek. Seperate but unequal treatment for LGB players and role-players. Thanks, EA-Ware!

People keep forgetting that this game is of the mmoRPg genre, so I for one find RP to be one of the most important parts of the game.

Secondly, until someone asks every person currently playing what their opinion of its inclusion into the game is, any numbers based argument is moot and should be ignored as groundless.

^.^

I quest and do the story content...which is what SGRA's falls under. I'm not sure why you believe it is necessary to pvp/fp/wz/raid in order to level to 50. I've done it four times without doing any of those things. In fact, your argument back to me is as wrong as the guy who I was answering originally since it presumes a level of interest in aspects of the game that I simply do not have, and makes an assumption that the game must be played that way and that all people enjoy them.

Since they do not, your argument to me is equally invalid.

I never said it was necessary. *eyeroll* Nor did I say I did that. I do a few FPs, storylines/regular quests. And I said Makeb's storyline quests/regular quests is new content, which the poster said regular quests was content, to which I said putting SGR in the new content doesn't take time away from new content, as they're putting it in as the make it.

I did say going back and doing a whole patch of "lets add SGR to old content" could be seen as a waste by a majority of players. Though if they did it in increments, a classes companions here, a classes companions there, could be a good idea. The problem with that, is then we'd see people complaining it wasn't done for their class and it would be non-stop whining untill it was put in for their class.

This is just not how everyone plays. I've capped four characters at this point and am working on a fifth. My counts:

PVP matches: 0

Flashpoints: 1

Warzones: 0

Ops: Probably a couple dozen

Romance arcs: 3

For me, SGRAs are much more important than any PVP or group content.

Doesnt storyline quests fall in like with new missions, which I said was new content? Regular quests also fall in line with new content. And I'd bet the majority of players do the quests.

Oh. I get it. You want to show you don't care about other aspects, which I never said the majority of players do, you read it as something completely different, because it wasn't "edit old content" but rather "keep moving forward and add it to new content, as then majority of players see new content and are happy"

Outside of bug fixes, majority of players want to see new content, not the same content they've already seen multiple times. And early level content is seen a lot.

People keep forgetting that this game is of the mmoRPg genre, so I for one find RP to be one of the most important parts of the game.

Secondly, until someone asks every person currently playing what their opinion of its inclusion into the game is, any numbers based argument is moot and should be ignored as groundless.

^.^

Now I'm curious, do you think the majority of players want SGR? Majority of players dont care one way or the other? Majority of players don't want it?

There is a world of difference between wanting to play something, not wanting to play something and opposing others being able to play it. People will not be forced to play SGR's but they should have the right to play as much of a romance with a character of the same gender as a straight person has to play one with a character of the opposite sex.

I'm not even sure what the purpose of all the arguing is. Bioware does SGR. They put it in this game, albeit in a obviously very minor way that probably didn't require all that much time and effort, and probably will be easily avoided by those who have issues handling a same gender flirt. It doesn't matter what percentage of people want the content. No developers ever make a game by player democracy. I've always appreciated Blizzard's transparency on the matter. "Yes, we do listen to our players, it's just that usually we just don't agree with them.".

The thing about Jack in ME2 is that she uses sex as a weapon, due to how she grew up after she escaped the experiments she was put through during her childhood. She may have had sex with women in her past, willingly or coerced, but as far as actual attraction and romantic love goes she's straight.

Oh, I see. Well, I would like to see some more diverse companions for SWTOR, maybe that better describes it.

In ME3 (IIRC) you were able to make advances to her as a femshep. She however did shut you down stating that she was not interested. Wich brings a good point : I would find it interesting if you could they implemented some conversations with companions or NPC where you were told they were not interested.

Oh well.... at least it is a move in the right direction

Yeah, you know, it would be kind of realistic if we had at least some companions that turn us down. On the other hand, with the lack of SGR we already have, I kind of see this far in the future, when hopefully we have been able to romance at least a few NPCs/companions in the game. But, good point.

^.^

I agree, and this is really a moot point, one I suggest we don't follow debating since SGR will be coming. Period. Any debate on how many people want it, support it, don't want it, is really no longer necessary, nor of interest. Edited by Lent_San

There is a world of difference between wanting to play something, not wanting to play something and opposing others being able to play it. People will not be forced to play SGR's but they should have the right to play as much of a romance with a character of the same gender as a straight person has to play one with a character of the opposite sex.

Actually, I think the right goes to the company on if they want to add it in, deciding how much resources they want to put into it if they decide to, and people have the right to stay or go depending on the companies choice onthe matter, without having to deal with outside sources other than players/customers to get it.

I agree. If there's OGR, there should be SGR. Many companies out there are catching up now, see Skyrim, or the Final Fantasy peeps. Thankfully, this is more and more becoming a non-issue for many game companies.

Now I'm curious, do you think the majority of players want SGR? Majority of players dont care one way or the other? Majority of players don't want it?

I have no idea how many people want this feature, and neither does any other player. I am just tired of seeing the numbers argument. It is totally moot unless you can get concrete numbers.

I really don't care about the numbers of who does and doesn't. It's not an argument. SGR is being added, its been promised since before launch. More features in the game is always good and its up to BW/EA to decide what is going to be included. Almost as if they have paid employees to make those decisions.

^.^

I never said it was necessary. *eyeroll* Nor did I say I did that. I do a few FPs, storylines/regular quests. And I said Makeb's storyline quests/regular quests is new content, which the poster said regular quests was content, to which I said putting SGR in the new content doesn't take time away from new content, as they're putting it in as the make it.

I did say going back and doing a whole patch of "lets add SGR to old content" could be seen as a waste by a majority of players. Though if they did it in increments, a classes companions here, a classes companions there, could be a good idea. The problem with that, is then we'd see people complaining it wasn't done for their class and it would be non-stop whining untill it was put in for their class.

Except that is pretty much what you implied. You implied heavily that those elements were necessary.

Well what this person says is true maybe not 2% but SGR will have very little appeal for alot of the community and the majority of players would want ops,warzones,class missions,etc before SGR. I'm not saying SGR are horrible and shouldn't be implanted in the game but it isn't very big update that we actually need right now.

Look at this way, SGR implentation is likely to come once or maybe twice in this games lifetime(speculation) that when compared to all the carrot chasing Ops/FPs/Wzs it'll look like a grain of sand in the desert.

Imo class quests and companion dialogue are more important to me than the inevitable carrot chasing/time sinks. SGR is a blip in the overall picture but the option will bring some small token of joy to people playing.

I'm surprised this thread isn't abuzz with the comments on SGRs in today's State of the Game blog http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20130102

According to Hickman, SGRs are coming with Makeb, probably in the form of NPC flirts, etc, while larger implementation is still being worked on.

lol, what? This thread has been abuzz with that blog that was posted two days ago.