Change to Jedi Sage Force Wave is FAIL

Quinlynn

I think my favorite new force wave moment was pushing somebody waiting for the 2nd fire to drop into the pit when standing my the medpack. Just kinda jumped towards him and pushed him +2 other dudes off

Then I think back to pre 1.4, when force wave didn't even knock somebody off the rafters half the time

It wasn't that it didn't knock them off, it was that you had to position yourself extremely well because you had to be so close to your enemies...and it took a full half second to activate which gave time for opponents to counter position. The new one lets you be much further away, activates much faster, giving you time to position properly and not worry about someone moving an 1/8th of an inch and only knocking them to the edge, instead of off the edge.

I was not looking forward to the change, but I am actually liking it a lot. Sure we lost a bit of the defensive part, but there is great offensive potential. Coupled with not having to leeroy into a pack of people just to knock them back anymore makes this a good change in the end.

Also, Quinlynn is the worse sage/sorc on Prop5. I wouldn't bother taking anything he says seriously.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having to be facing the target for this to work is fail in a game engine that cannot track location / facing effectively.

During multiple fights last night I turned to face a target and fired force wave / push and it did nothing because the client and sever could not sync fast enough in PVP.

For the record I was fighting Sorcs / BH and everytime made sure no reslove before using. One time the other player just moved towards me and eventhough the player was in front of me when it animated, no push occured and they moved past me.

This change is stupid, completely and utterly, especially combined with the reduced range of Stun.

I played my sorc last night in 10+ wzs and didn't notice any of these issues. I think the knock back is excellent and finally useful in objective play.

Are you keyboard turning? If so you'll never turn in time to push back a better than average player. keyboard turning as a sorc/sage is a death sentence.

Also what tree are you? the KB shouldn't be used as your first defense to melee regardless. It should only be used after stuns/force speed/heals/team assistance

Also what tree are you? the KB shouldn't be used as your first defense to melee regardless. It should only be used after stuns/force speed/heals/team assistance

Basically my understanding is the OP only PvPs while training NPCs onto imps as they do their Ilum H2 quest. In other words, he's always running away, so the knockback doesn't suit him since he actually has to turn and fight to use it now :rolleyes:

Don't gunslingers/snipers, as some other classes, have a KB that knocks back everyone around them? This is why I don't understand the change completely. If it was across the board for classes that did this, it would make more sense to me but to single out one class threw me off. Interesting perspective from different players though....some like it and some don't.

Going off of the OPs initial post with the ability lacking in actually working at timse and as advertised, this sounds similar to what I've been reading about SMASH juggs with their smash missing people in AOE radius. Seems as if these new "instant animation" changes aren't something the coders at BW/EA(or whoever is coding here) fully tested and may need fixed/adjusted.

I do not play either of these classes that have been affected(retired my sorc a while back) so my insight means nothing tbh. Just something that came to mind after reading these posts and how similar they are in regards to outcome from these changes to existing abilities that used to not have any issues.

basically my understanding is the op only pvps while training npcs onto imps as they do their ilum h2 quest. In other words, he's always running away, so the knockback doesn't suit him since he actually has to turn and fight to use it now :rolleyes:

^ qft but he is very efficient at it, I'll say that much. Therefore, I tip my hat to him even if I don't really call his idea of open world PvP ideal, I give the guy props for getting things riled up on our server.

Edited by Master_Nate

Don't gunslingers/snipers, as some other classes, have a KB that knocks back everyone around them? This is why I don't understand the change completely. If it was across the board for classes that did this, it would make more sense to me but to single out one class threw me off. Interesting perspective from different players though....some like it and some don't.

Going off of the OPs initial post with the ability lacking in actually working at timse and as advertised, this sounds similar to what I've been reading about SMASH juggs with their smash missing people in AOE radius. Seems as if these new "instant animation" changes aren't something the coders at BW/EA(or whoever is coding here) fully tested and may need fixed/adjusted.

I do not play either of these classes that have been affected(retired my sorc a while back) so my insight means nothing tbh. Just something that came to mind after reading these posts and how similar they are in regards to outcome from these changes to existing abilities that used to not have any issues.

The OP is incorrect. This ability works as advertised, it executes immediately and is not bugged. Smash is actually literally tested as bugged.

Countless sorcs/sages have been using their KB incorrectly, as a simple defensive tool.

AOE knockbacks:

1. Sniper/Sling is stationary when the KB is used. There is no escape mechanism. There is no turning while in cover. 360 degree KB makes sense.

2. Merc/Commando. Long cast, heavy armor (read: slow movement). There is no escape mechanism. 360 makes sense

3. Sorcs/sage. Highly mobile, light armor (read: fast movement), two instant self heals regardless of spec, escape mechanisms, force speed (on reduced cool down now), at least 2 CC's, slows, if you play madness you get 2 instant CCs, an extra root and force lightning is a constant slow. 360 KB doesn't make sense, because the KB on this class was never meant to be a straight defensive cooldown, it's an objective based cooldown.

Having to be facing the target for this to work is fail in a game engine that cannot track location / facing effectively.

During multiple fights last night I turned to face a target and fired force wave / push and it did nothing because the client and sever could not sync fast enough in PVP.

For the record I was fighting Sorcs / BH and everytime made sure no reslove before using. One time the other player just moved towards me and eventhough the player was in front of me when it animated, no push occured and they moved past me.

This change is stupid, completely and utterly, especially combined with the reduced range of Stun.

Adapt or Die....sounds like you have relegated yourself to the later.

3. Sorcs/sage. Highly mobile, light armor (read: fast movement), two instant self heals regardless of spec, escape mechanisms, force speed (on reduced cool down now), at least 2 CC's, slows, if you play madness you get 2 instant CCs, an extra root and force lightning is a constant slow. 360 KB doesn't make sense, because the KB on this class was never meant to be a straight defensive cooldown, it's an objective based cooldown.

Thanks for your response. Tbh, I assumed this is why the change only affected Sorcs but was curious to hear another response as well. However, you know what happens when you assume at times :D

I wanted to pose the concept in a way that I could get a good answer without being blasted, so thanks for the clear and concise write up. I would think it would be stupid to change the mechanic on the sniper...the merc I have no idea on because I have never played one but your insight on it sounds completely true.

That's the reason I was wondering because I never read any reasoning for the change just that it was being changed for this class and not others. Thank you again for your response.

Edited by Master_Nate

Basically my understanding is the OP only PvPs while training NPCs onto imps as they do their Ilum H2 quest. In other words, he's always running away, so the knockback doesn't suit him since he actually has to turn and fight to use it now :rolleyes:

Lul, if thinking that makes you feel better good for you.

I fight many peeps 1 v 1 and use NPCs when I am facing 2 to 4 or more.

Feel free to come find me on Ilum anytime baddie.

To be honest, the change feels much more natural than the old version. Now I feel like I'm actually aiming the wave instead of crossing my fingers that it goes as planned. Once you see a sniper in cover by an edge in Voidstar and blast them over it, the old way kinda looses its appeal.

You know what else I've noticed, the wave didn't need to be 360 degrees in the first place. It's not difficult to position yourself in such a way that it hits every enemy on an Alderan side platform that you need to hit. When running away I just hit the wave first before I start to run and I'm good to go.

In fact I'd go far as to say I'm probably hitting more enemies effectively than the old wave because (1) the range increase, and (2) timing. I would be very disappointed to go back to the old wave.

It's also worthwhile to point out the Force Wave/Overload are on shorter CD's than the other KB's. To make it balanced with the removal of the animation delay BW would have had to raise the CD or do something like change the general mechanics of it. I'll take the short CD, longer range and instant activation over the 360 area.

Yea Quinlynn is a paradox wrapped around a big ball of irony. His attitude is "whatever you say bounces off of me and sticks to you as 20+ npcs chase you in circles while I run from you." But he trolls you all like the best of them.

I'm glad that you, thinking I contradict myself, or make statements that have an oppsite true meaning, makes you feel better.

Doesn't change the fact that many imperials that claim they want to be on a PVP server, should not be.

Iv noticed me knock them back as they jump.

Personally i think its alot better, Especially for stopping caps.

I think it is a great improvement to the old one.

And sages have been improved ever since 1.4 i dont know what all the moaning is about.

Only healers have. The other specs got a huge nerf with the force wave change. Now if they also had CC immunity on force speed then it would've been considered a buff.

Welcome to every other class, ever. Force Wave/Overload has been a crutch for you guys for long enough.

im sorry but i agree with you

before 1.4 i never had a reason to use overload/force wave but now i do, sicne its not useful, and it also means no more one blasts over the edge, timing and position is needed, plus the thing most sorcer/sagesh ated, oh yeah AIMING

• 2 months later...
Worked much better this weekend and definately a challenge to get the facing correct against certain play styles.

I miss the longer range stun and end up using lift allot more now.

Had lots of PVP fun this weekend.

It's funny cause you don't do PvP, you're just camping an heroic area and kiting mobs on people. You never get a kill on your own and you run away from real fights.

i think you should have some nice "growing balls" over a weekend sometimes.