Any LGBT guilds on Harbinger?

Malchan

Well, for a lot of people, being not able-bodied cis het white male and asking to be treated with respect and dignity (i.e. like a human being) is asking for "special treatment".

"Hey, could you not kick me in the shins all the time?"

"Oh my god! People very rarely step on my toes! How dare you ask for special treatment?!"

"Uhh, right... just stop kicking me in the shins, dude."

"Oh my god, you're such a drama queen!"

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then maybe I should start a christian guild? We get killed over being what we are right?

Not typically in the US, Europe, or Australia. There is real religious persecution against Christians, but you've probably never experienced it.

People should join these lgbt guilds because people get beaten up or murdered in real life? You serious bro?

You people are funny.

That wasn't the point. That was an example of why people might seek out LGBT guilds. There are many reasons for people choosing an LGBT-friendly guild (I have never heard of one that restricts cis straight people from joining).

It's not a matter not letting people join whatever guild they want. It's just sad that the LGBT screams for equality and to be accepted by society but then comes out and mentions "LGBT" guilds. Discrimination against race, gender, or preferences can never end as long as they keep making the note in peoples mind that they are different. So as long as they try and act like they need their own guilds instead of searching through the 100s that already exist with no jerks like everyone else does everyone else will keep the little "hey they are different" in their minds and just keep being mean to them!

This is nonsense. The difference is already marked and noted. It is not something that people in the LGBT community invented. In fact, organizing around these particular labels (LGBT) led to progress in terms of human rights for people who fit into one or more of those categories.

Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and trans people do not bring discrimination and prejudice upon themselves for being open about existing. That's all on people who make it an issue and attack them for it. You're blaming them for the discrimination leveled at them.

There's no reason such guilds shouldn't exist, and really anyone who doesn't agree with their existence would be better served just ignoring threads like these and sticking to what they do like.

Well, for a lot of people, being not able-bodied cis het white male and asking to be treated with respect and dignity (i.e. like a human being) is asking for "special treatment".

"Hey, could you not kick me in the shins all the time?"

"Oh my god! People very rarely step on my toes! How dare you ask for special treatment?!"

"Uhh, right... just stop kicking me in the shins, dude."

"Oh my god, you're such a drama queen!"

Yes.

Or if you identify yourself as not any of those things (able-bodied, cis, het, white, male) then you are only bringing any discrimination and hate you experience down on yourself. But that's not victim blaming because you're asking for special treatment and so the circle goes.

Hi there, to answer your initial question, Taint (Empire) and Rough Trade (Republic) are still active. We are part of a larger gaming community at rtgc.enjin.com so feel free to go there and apply.

We are still an 18+ guild

To answer other questions, our role as a GLBT and Allies guild is to be a safe place for people to come and talk about their lives and not feel persecuted about who they are. If you look at general chat in many MMOs you can see that even general chat can be a vicious place that is uncomfortable for the GLBT community. We are here primarily a community even though we do have players that do PvP or Ops.

We welcome all who are supportive and are either in the GLBT community or allies. You do not have to be GLBT to join our community but you have to be supportive of it and a real ally. I hope that all of this makes sense.

Deshuzz - Guild Leader of Taint

He isn't saying people talk about their lives in General Chat...just pointing out that the general discussions that happen in General Chat can be very offensive and homophobic for random reasons. I've seen things said that I wouldn't even repeat in text here.

He isn't saying people talk about their lives in General Chat...

Sure didn't sound that way...

just pointing out that the general discussions that happen in General Chat can be very offensive and homophobic for random reasons. I've seen things said that I wouldn't even repeat in text here.

How is being in a guild going to save anyone from general chat? I don't know how things work on your server, but TRE displays general and guild chat simultaneously.

But it is perfectly acceptable to be homophobic, misogynist and racist. Right.

Your words, not mine.

Sure didn't sound that way...

You could try reading rather than listening to text. :p

How is being in a guild going to save anyone from general chat? I don't know how things work on your server, but TRE displays general and guild chat simultaneously.

Again, missing the point - nobody is saying a guild will save anyone from General Chat - just pointing out that by looking at what kind of stuff is said constantly in General Chat, you can see just what kind of hostile environment an MMO server can be. Though in general, guilds allow us to be social in the game without being forced into the general public. The real save from GC is to turn it off or hide it. Which I do if I am not searching for something. ;)

Edited by chuixupu

I am somewhat surprised that so many people are concerned about a safe and respectful place for GLBT members and allies. I also wanted to state that I am not talking about your personal lives in general chat. What I am saying is that general chat can often be just as bad with misogynistic, racist and homophobic commentary that stoops to the level of junior high.

I also wanted to state that I am not talking about your personal lives in general chat. What I am saying is that general chat can often be just as bad with misogynistic, racist and homophobic commentary that stoops to the level of junior high.

Exactly. The point being, that's the kind of crowd that you're going up against when searching for a guild, so expectations from most of the guilds out there tend to be low. :p

Exactly. The point being, that's the kind of crowd that you're going up against when searching for a guild, so expectations from most of the guilds out there tend to be low. :p

Yeah, those people, for the most part, are in guilds. They're part of the SWTOR "community" - they don't magically appear only in General Chat and then *puff* out of existence, they're real people in real places posting their bigoted drivel.

Not typically in the US, Europe, or Australia. There is real religious persecution against Christians, but you've probably never experienced it.

Well since you know nothing of me I could say there is real presecution against LGBT people, but you've probably never experienced it. :rolleyes:

Anyways tis not the point. As I said in another post, people do as they will.

Cheers :hope_02:

Here are the recruiting messages for my Imperial guild The Dark Times and Republic guild Guardians Of Peace And Justice.

<The Dark Times>casual, oceanic and lgbt friendly. 10% xp and rep bonus, mumble, website. Whisper for an invite or visit GPJ.ENJIN.COM. Join our family and have some fun.

<Guardians of Peace and Justice>casual, oceanic and lgbt friendly. 10% xp and rep bonus, mumble, website. Whisper for an invite or visit GPJ.ENJIN.COM. Join our family and have some fun.

the real way to show that LGBT people are not different are getting into a normal guild and make yourself known, then deal with the problem they throw at you if there is any. Isolating yourself to only LGBT people is not the way

Please tell me about the experience you and your friends had in finding a good guild being LGBT.

the real way to show that LGBT people are not different are getting into a normal guild and make yourself known, then deal with the problem they throw at you if there is any. Isolating yourself to only LGBT people is not the way

I don't see how joining an LGBT-friendly guild is "isolating" yourself, unless you mean "isolating yourself from dingbats and bigots", which is fair. Everyone has the right not to have toxic crap in their life.

Well, as long as we're having the temerity to actually exist in a way visible to the sensitive, fragile heteronormative mainstream, might as well throw my own search on the pile - are there any reasonably active queer-friendly Shadowlands guilds? I'm trying to get my girlfriend to brave raiding with me but I've never felt super-connected to my current guild and there's no way she'll ever agree to PUG, so I'd love to get us into a friendly group who can take us through some ops now and then.

Then maybe I should start a christian guild?

Sure.

Do you think anyone who supports a LGBT guild would object to a Christian guild? I think the average person understands that religion can be an important part of someone's life and that a Christian might want to game with other Christians.

Discrimination against race, gender, or preferences can never end as long as they keep making the note in peoples mind that they are different.

I try to treat people who are different than me with the same respect as those who are like me.

Your comment only makes sense if there's something wrong with being different.

Edited by MCaliban

Wow, some of the comments on this thread are gobsmackingly stupid.

I'll try to adress some of them here.

These LBGT guilds do not exist to propagate some sort of "agenda".

They do not promote discrimination either.

They are not exclusive to LBGT people.

Straight people do NOT get persecuted for being straight (that might be the dumbest thing I have heard this month).

Being in a LBGT guild is no different to being in a Danish guild, Dr. Who guild or a guild for people who are in the military, similar interests and lifestyles often come together in groups.

"The real way to deal with this is to not isolate yourself, but to go out there and tell the world you are LBGT and deal with it". Sure, that's how change is made... but we all need to go back to the barracks sometime and get some RnR without being in the fight 24/7.

Because it IS a fight. People WILL question someones lifestyle if they are LGBT. And they will not be easy to reason with.

Anyway, thats all I had to say on the subject. I hope the OP has found a safe harbour in the storm and a place to hang out with people who have similar life experiences as him.