SWTOR Unleashed (game files in RAM to improve performance)

exca

By the way, thanks Tim for saving me a few more replies ;) High 5!

Thank YOU for this!!! I use it daily and I can't imagine running the game without it. Simply amazing work...we're lucky to have guys like you playing our game.

• Replies 887
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without much more info from you, I can't help :/

SWTOR Unleashed crashed? Curious. If you can tell me more or show us the log file I might help. Little change in performance is strange. If you wish you can describe more your test scenario.

I have 6gbs ram, I also have Pagefile disabled. Game didnt actual crash more like just locked when I tried using the 4 gb setup, It only worked with Diskcachearnea and local app. I didnt see any noticeable increase in my min fps to warrant using the program. i still had the same min fps tank i have had since 1.4 maybe 2 or 3 extra to my min which wasnt worth it in my mind. the stutter when things are poping up on screen was reduced yes. but i didnt care about that. my issue is with my tanked min fps since 1.4

I tested this by going in to wz where I been getting min frame rates as low as 20's since 1.4. and my max was no different either i always got max around 105 fps on high settings no bloom no shadows

Im sure the program helps people, as that is nature of ramdisk setups, but in my eyes the consumer should not have to jump threw hoops to fix a problem this is with the game engine it self. To me this is like telling a person to up the voltage on there gpu to fix the TDR problems nvidia cards had. when the bought the card and it had the issue to being with.

Edited by Kyuuu

Not knocking this app/feature an such but all these people with SSD drives doing this why didnt you invest is more memory instead or a 64bit OS?

Plus you know this will degrade you SSD drive faster.

Not knocking you personally but people need to know what they are talking about before making a post showing they have no idea. :D

I have 6gbs ram, I also have Pagefile disabled. Game didnt actual crash more like just locked when I tried using the 4 gb setup, It only worked with Diskcachearnea and local app. I didnt see any noticeable increase in my min fps to warrant using the program. i still had the same min fps tank i have had since 1.4 maybe 2 or 3 extra to my min which wasnt worth it in my mind. the stutter when things are poping up on screen was reduced yes. but i didnt care about that. my issue is with my tanked min fps since 1.4

I tested this by going in to wz where I been getting min frame rates as low as 20's since 1.4. and my max was no different either i always got max around 105 fps on high settings no bloom no shadows

Im sure the program helps people, as that is nature of ramdisk setups, but in my eyes the consumer should not have to jump threw hoops to fix a problem this is with the game engine it self. To me this is like telling a person to up the voltage on there gpu to fix the TDR problems nvidia cards had. when the bought the card and it had the issue to being with.

Disabling pagefile is a bad idea as I tried to explain earlier. It'll rarely help you out and create more issues instead.

Also if you mean by "4GB setup" that your RAM drive is 4GB big... no wonder you don't get performance raise. You'll most likely kill your performances instead. With 6GB RAM you must save 3 to 3.5GB minimum for windows, apps and swtor. Which leaves you a maximum of 2.5 to 3GB for SWTOR Unleashed. If you use a bigger ramdrive, you'll just lower your performances instead of raising them. It's all explained in the main post. By the way, if you want a mostly total perf increase, you should get 8GB of ram to put there local+arena+fx+dynamic.

Again, SWTOR Unleashed is made for people with loads of RAM to workaround BioWare 32 bits executable limitations.

Regards

Edited by exca

Disabling pagefile is a bad idea as I tried to explain earlier. It'll rarely help you out and create more issues instead.

Also if you mean by "4GB setup" that your RAM drive is 4GB big... no wonder you don't get performance raise. You'll most likely kill your performances instead. With 6GB RAM you must save 3 to 3.5GB minimum for windows, apps and swtor. Which leaves you a maximum of 2.5 to 3GB for SWTOR Unleashed. If you use a bigger ramdrive, you'll just lower your performances instead of raising them. It's all explained in the main post. By the way, if you want a mostly total perf increase, you should get 8GB of ram to put there local+arena+fx+dynamic.

Again, SWTOR Unleashed is made for people with loads of RAM to workaround BioWare 32 bits executable limitations.

Regards

SWTOR is a 32 bit app and your fix is like shooting a ant with a Hydrogen Bomb, overkill to fix a crappy program.

If SWTOR had been written in Windows 7 and multi-threaded then no one would have much to complain about.

Hey so, I know this is potentially a dumb question, but does this program have an trojan/virus/malware/spyware that will screw up my computer? I'm kind of asking the general audience so if any of you have had issues let me know.

I don't mean to be a skeptic, I'm just trying to be cautious. This seems like a pretty sweet deal, maybe almost too good to be true :p

Anyone try this on a system with 16GB of RAM? Just wondering if anyone saw any improvements with that much RAM.

I'm using 16gigs of corsair and I use about a 6gig in unleashed. The load times on my system are minimal at most . Game runs alot smoother than when I don't use unleashed.

Thank you very much fellas for this app! It works great, I wont play without it. Thanks a ton!

For some comparison, I ran the whole game from a ram drive (created a 24GB ram drive for it) and noticed no real loading time increase over a Samsung 830 SSD. Most of my loading time seems to be server side. If i load into my ship it is really quick. If i load on to a planet it seems to take forever. I noticed similar loading times on my 'old' system.

for reference my setup is below:

Current:

Intel I7-3930 @ stock right now.

ASUS ROG Rampage IV extreme

64GB RAM (Ripjaw Z Series 1600)

Samsung 830 256GB SSD Boot/App

ADATA 128GB (mostly adobe cache)

XFX Radeon HD 6870 1GB

2560x1440 27" Display

Old:

AMD 1090T @Stock

ASUS AM3 Board (don't remember the model)

8GB Ram (Corsair Vengeance 1600)

OCZ Agility 2 60GB boot/app

1TB western digital black.

XFX Radeon HD 6870 1GB

1920x1080 23" display

The game ran like crap on the old system on minimal settings, on the new system it doesn't run well but it is very playable on max settings, except in pvp where i need to turn shadows down, at 1440p resolution I am not surprised for a mid-range gamer video card.

Again, SWTOR Unleashed isn't made to speed up loading times. It's made to lower FPS drops.

not knocking it, just re-enforcing for people like me looking for faster load times, you're not going to be gaining anything significant VS and SSD for load times, you are at Biowares Mercy.

I have a total of 4 gigs of memory and a 6gig page file. With no apps running i have 3 gigs of Physical ram free(I have a lot of the windows bs turned off). So my question would this program help me any?

very little since you can only use 500mb for unleashed. But you can still give it a try.

I have run this application as well. As stated the game does run smoother, however I have run into one issue. I have a Logitech Wireless Gaming Mouse G700, and anytime i run SWTOR Unleashed, my extra buttons do not map to the function I specified. I use a couple of keys for side to side and back movements. Since it decreases my gaming experience, I don't use the application :(

I have run this application as well. As stated the game does run smoother, however I have run into one issue. I have a Logitech Wireless Gaming Mouse G700, and anytime i run SWTOR Unleashed, my extra buttons do not map to the function I specified. I use a couple of keys for side to side and back movements. Since it decreases my gaming experience, I don't use the application :(

I don't see any reason why it should interfere since unleashed doesn't run while the game does....

not knocking it, just re-enforcing for people like me looking for faster load times, you're not going to be gaining anything significant VS and SSD for load times, you are at Biowares Mercy.

The only way to boost load speeds for TOR is have a USB 3.0 slot, put in a 8+ gig thumb drive, and activate the whole device for Readyboost. This Ramdisk system isn’t designed to speed up load times, so the fact you don’t see any isn’t surprising.

The only way to boost load speeds for TOR is have a USB 3.0 slot, put in a 8+ gig thumb drive, and activate the whole device for Readyboost. This Ramdisk system isn’t designed to speed up load times, so the fact you don’t see any isn’t surprising.

I highly doubt that would speed up load times either.

I highly doubt that would speed up load times either.

I agree. while faster than usb2, usb3 is no where near the speed of a ram drive. go check some benchmarks of RAM Disks, SSDs, Mechanical drives and also USB 2 and 3.

If you got plenty of ram (say 16GB+) you'd be better off setting up a ram cache instead of ready boost but that is a little farther off topic

SWTOR Unleashed 3.2.3 is out.

It includes a new version of imdisk, so don't forget to update it (read the changelog).

Version 3.2.3 ; 2012-10-13

• [uP] new version of imdisk included, please uninstall any previous imdisk installation, reboot, then install the new one
  • [FIX] "authorized" button now opens the new english thread

Edited by exca

SWTOR Unleashed 3.3.0 is out.

It also includes the 3.2.3 new version of imdisk, so don't forget to update it :

- uninstall any previous imdisk installation

- reboot

- install the new ImDisk

I also updated the main post's screenshots.

Version 3.3.0 ; 2012-10-13

[NEW] added a memory check every time you launch unleashed to tell you if you don't have enough RAM available and prevent launching if necessary. The game will now launch in unleashed without warnings if it estimates will have at least 512MB avaible outside SWTOR + unleashed + windows + background programs and with a warning message if you will have between 1 and 512MB available. It won't launch if estimates is 0 or below. This will prevent some people to get the unexpected "slower with unleashed" issue.

Edited by exca

I agree. while faster than usb2, usb3 is no where near the speed of a ram drive. go check some benchmarks of RAM Disks, SSDs, Mechanical drives and also USB 2 and 3.

If you got plenty of ram (say 16GB+) you'd be better off setting up a ram cache instead of ready boost but that is a little farther off topic

Yes, for a system using an SSD readyboost probably wouldn’t help and I never said it would. What I said was ‘The only way to boost load speeds for TOR is have a USB 3.0 slot, put in a 8+ gig thumb drive, and activate the whole device for Readyboost.’ though you could also use a flash drive they just dont seem to help as much as the 3.0 thumb drive does. I've tried both with 16gb devices and the 3.0 USB was always the faster load.

My PC is a laptop, I-7 2860 CPU @ 3.5Ghz, 16gigs ddr3 1333 ram and 2 WD 7200rpm Scorpio Black drives. With those components when I go to Corrilia it takes anywhere from 65 to 80 seconds to load on my IP which is 25Mbps/5Mbps without any ram/boost mods running.

With SWTOR Unleashed the loads are the same. With Unleashed and readyboost the load is between 45 and 60 seconds the first time I go and about 5-15 seconds thereafter. Without Unleashed running and with readyboost active the loads are the same first time and after, between 45 and 60 seconds then 5 to 15 seconds.

So, yes, readyboost can in fact speed up your load times, even on the first visit to a planet, and a huge speed up after you’ve been once. If you want to see this in action, look me up on Pot5, and I’ll be happy to show you. Or, test it for yourself. It works for me.

edit-The one drawback is heat. Readyboost generates a lot of it on my laptop so I use a 3 fan cooling pad also. Even with that it still runs in the 65-70c range or rather hot while playing TOR and using Unleashed and RB.

Edited by Rothie