Needing Items while grouped

I'd really like to know why its SUCH a big deal for me to need a few items while I'm grouped up? Seriously, if I need 1 item a whole flashpoint SOMEONE is whining. Last night on my Sith Warrior we ran Athiss, after the final boss he dropped a orange modifiable pistol. I have two companions who could use that, so I needed it.

It was SUCH a big deal, and I didn't even win the roll. I didn't care, I can go back and do it again. But seriously, if I need it why should I have to explain myself to 3 or 4 other people just because they needed/greeded it also? They interrogated me like a DEA officer would a drug mule :rolleyes: People need to get over it I think.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Were you a sniper needing on heavy armor?

Edit: I re-read your post. A companion is not a need roll when a player needs it more. You should have asked politely if anyone needed it then asked if you could have it if not. Other people need that pistol for THEM not their OPTIONAL characters

Edited by Xenirath

Because that's just it. The player character NEEDS the pistol because his class can use it and it is an upgrade. You as a Warrior do not NEED it, you WANT it for your companion. Thus you GREED it.

Why should your companion be a priority over a real player that's actually doing work in the group?

I'd really like to know why its SUCH a big deal for me to need a few items while I'm grouped up? Seriously, if I need 1 item a whole flashpoint SOMEONE is whining. Last night on my Sith Warrior we ran Athiss, after the final boss he dropped a orange modifiable pistol. I have two companions who could use that, so I needed it.

It was SUCH a big deal, and I didn't even win the roll. I didn't care, I can go back and do it again. But seriously, if I need it why should I have to explain myself to 3 or 4 other people just because they needed/greeded it also? They interrogated me like a DEA officer would a drug mule :rolleyes: People need to get over it I think.

Because it's fairly rude to need something that you don't need for your main spec. It's an unspoken rule that off spec/companion rolls are all greed, not need.

Player >>> Companion

The Player is always present when running Solos, Flashpoints, Operations and PVP.

The Companion is only present when running Solo.

That player will get more use out of that your companions which is why he 'NEEDS' it and you 'GREED' it.

Every class has a companion that can use a pistol. Every single one of them.

Although SW's specifically have absolutely no use for an aim based pistol, even for companions, which is what I'd imagine dropped, so...

You rolled on an item for a companion that is not even optimal for your companion when there was a bounty hunter in the group that could use it for himself, and 2 other people in the group that could possibly use it for a companion as well.

Need is designed for gear for yourself. If you start using it for gear for companions then you could argue for anything that ever dropped, and effectively destroy the entire point of the system to begin with.

But I needed it for my companion, therefore I needed it. I don't run through the whole game with 1 guy I found in group finder, I can't worry about him and if what I do is considered rude or breaking an unwritten rule. Because if it was a big deal, it wouldn't be unwritten. I'm playing to win, so I reckon if that means stepping on a few people's toes so be it. I'm gonna try and make me and my team the best possible.

Yeah...

The system goes like this: If YOU (NOT A COMPANION) needs an item, need.

If your companion needs an item.. GREED. It's not that hard to work out. Seriously. If you want it for a companion level a bit & solo it. Don't take other peoples loot.

This is why I fear F2P.. more people who can't work simple things out. Ok.. that is how it has always worked. Your companion counts for NOTHING. Sorry.

Edited by Aedey

But I needed it for my companion, therefore I needed it. I don't run through the whole game with 1 guy I found in group finder, I can't worry about him and if what I do is considered rude or breaking an unwritten rule. Because if it was a big deal, it wouldn't be unwritten. I'm playing to win, so I reckon if that means stepping on a few people's toes so be it. I'm gonna try and make me and my team the best possible.

If that's your attitude then why did you even create this thread?

If that's your attitude then why did you even create this thread?

Exactly. This game is sort of about working together. If you're leveling with these people then you'll be doing endgame HM FPs with em. They'll remember & leave the group.

******es get a bad rep on these games. I ignore any fool who needs for companions. It isn't how it's done so stop doing it.

Ugh. I am about to make a point that I wish wasn't true.

I don't condone this behavior, and I do not practice it. I only roll on these kinds of items if no one else needs them for their PC.

BUT there are NO loot roll rules. If you can NEED on an item, you have every right to. You helped kill the boss, you have the right to roll on whatever it drops. Is it a Richard move? Absolutely. SO much of my Marauder armor/lightsaber rolls have gone to peoples various Asharas. But, until/if Bio ever puts that restriction in, just gotta deal.

YOU didn't need it. You WANTED it for your companion, but the needs of the other players MUST come first or you will likely be (rightly so!) considered a selfish player who no one wants to group with. Try that a few more times and then wonder why you can't find 3 players to do a flashpoint with you.

That you don't even understand how wrong you were makes it worse.

If you have a companion that can use a piece of dropped loot, politely ASK if you can have it for your companion. If someone else in the group doesn't desperately need the piece for themselves, you will generally get the group OK. But you should ASK. This isn't YOUR group to take everything you want.

The selfishness of some people amazes me. You are not entitled to that gear.

Yeah...

The system goes like this: If YOU (NOT A COMPANION) needs an item, need.

If your companion needs an item.. GREED. It's not that hard to work out. Seriously. If you want it for a companion level a bit & solo it. Don't take other peoples loot.

This is why I fear F2P.. more people who can't work simple things out. Ok.. that is how it has always worked. Your companion counts for NOTHING. Sorry.

Thats your opinion, and I'll respect that. But I don't run group finder on my class missions therefore my companions do mean something because if they're not geared then it gets harder.

I appreciate all the insight on this, it helped me see why some people think its rude. But as far as the unspoken rule goes I'm not to concerned about it. If me or one of my companions can use it, and its better then what is equipped already then I'm going to need it. The option is there for that reason. Again thanks, I'll stick to my play style and y'all stick to your's.

No I'm not entitled to it, there's a roll for that exact reason. If I NEED it for my companion I'mma select NEED. It might be selfish to some but I gotta gear with better stuff somehow. The only time I ran into this problem was on group finder. So, I reckon I will be a selfish player. You can't make nice with everyone, or you won't get anywhere.

Edited by Cross_Fade

Thats your opinion, and I'll respect that. But I don't run group finder on my class missions therefore my companions do mean something because if they're not geared then it gets harder.

I appreciate all the insight on this, it helped me see why some people think its rude. But as far as the unspoken rule goes I'm not to concerned about it. If me or one of my companions can use it, and its better then what is equipped already then I'm going to need it. The option is there for that reason. Again thanks, I'll stick to my play style and y'all stick to your's.

Wow. So entitled. Please post your character names so we all know not to group with someone as selfish as you.

Ugh. I am about to make a point that I wish wasn't true.

I don't condone this behavior, and I do not practice it. I only roll on these kinds of items if no one else needs them for their PC.

BUT there are NO loot roll rules. If you can NEED on an item, you have every right to. You helped kill the boss, you have the right to roll on whatever it drops. Is it a Richard move? Absolutely. SO much of my Marauder armor/lightsaber rolls have gone to peoples various Asharas. But, until/if Bio ever puts that restriction in, just gotta deal.

You have the right to, but that doesn't mean you should. At the very least make sure no-one else in the group wants it for main spec.

No I'm not entitled to it, there's a roll for that exact reason. If I NEED it for my companion I'mma select NEED. It might be selfish to some but I gotta gear with better stuff somehow. The only time I ran into this problem was on group finder. So, I reckon I will be a selfish player. You can't make nice with everyone, or you won't get anywhere.

It's about 98% of the communities opinion too. If you wana be an *** go right ahead. But think about endgame when you get kicked from groups because everyone hates you for not running as a member of the team. As I said.. companions count for nothing in rolls. It is meant to be gear for you. If you want companion gear go make it or sometihng.

& you can make nice with people bud. Infact you get a lot further in the game if you do. Trust me when you get 50 you'll completely understand.

Edited by Aedey

Bad, selfish, anti-social behavior. If you were a newb I'd understand, if you're not, then bad, bad, bad.

Is your forum name the same as your in-game toon name? I'd like to know so if we are on the same server, I can avoid grouping with you.

:mad:

I think someone made that suggestion in the past, but I think "Need for the companion" button roll would be sweet, which is higher then greed, but lower then need.

OP don't do that again. It's considered rude and ninja like behavior. Always ask if everyone is cool if you 'need' it for companion. I know would be cool with that, but someone may be not.

I run as a member of the team, if I'm with friends then yeah I'll let them take what they need.

But as far as group finder is concerned, I'll defiantly pick myself over some random. If this was RL I'm sure most people would rather take something they need, or have a use for, then to let someone completely random have it. If not, oh well that's you loss. But I'm not about to let myself lose out on something I can use.

I'd prefer not to post my names, because I'm not a selfish player. But if I even run into some people who call me that I could really show them how selfish I can be :rolleyes:

You have the right to, but that doesn't mean you should. At the very least make sure no-one else in the group wants it for main spec.

Dude, you are preaching to the converted. Is it right? F no, but it unfortunately it is not against the rules. I would much rather have a button on the loot roll that is "Companion" so if no one needs it / can equip it, it'll roll for your companion.

I think someone made that suggestion in the past, but I think "Need for the companion" button roll would be sweet, which is higher then greed, but lower then need.

OP don't do that again. It's considered rude and ninja like behavior. Always ask if everyone is cool if you 'need' it for companion. I know would be cool with that, but someone may be not.

Thanks for not being rude about it. They do need a "Need for Companion" roll button. But until then, if I can use it, I gotta go for it. Now that being said, if I won the roll and one of the group members was to ask me if they could have it or trade for it, I'd probably be more then up for it. Depending on their attitude about it. I'm not a selfish guy, but nobody else on this game is going to just give you items, so you gotta take what you can

I run as a member of the team, if I'm with friends then yeah I'll let them take what they need.

But as far as group finder is concerned, I'll defiantly pick myself over some random. If this was RL I'm sure most people would rather take something they need, or have a use for, then to let someone completely random have it. If not, oh well that's you loss. But I'm not about to let myself lose out on something I can use.

I'd prefer not to post my names, because I'm not a selfish player. But if I even run into some people who call me that I could really show them how selfish I can be :rolleyes:

Ok..

Look at it this way:

What would you do if there was someone in a PuG, Sorcerer heal spec needed on a bit of BH tank gear for their companion. A bit that you NEED. You'd be upset yeh? SO STOP NEEDING ON STUFF ****YOU**** NOT A COMPANION doesn't need. The companion need system will never come. It's not in high enough demand.

You greed like everyone else then after the first roll say "Wana roll again for companion spec?" Then you /roll. Simple & it doesn't piss anyone off. If they don't want to then go QQ in the corner. Need is for main spec, not companion / off spec.

Edited by Aedey