Please fix commando/merc survivability/utility before 1.6 (suggestions)

Essence_of_Light

Bioware you need to stop stalling and atleast TRY to fix this class. If you even TRY i'll be happy. We are good at DPS but our survivability and lack of utility make us easy targets. We suck at 1v1 and every class in the hands of an average/above average player will tear us apart. Sorcs/Sage have that "super speed" ability and bubble. Snipers/Gunslingers have "hunker down", 100% protection bubble for 3 seconds, root, AoE stun etc. Operatives/Scoundrals can go in and out of stealth out of combat and in combat. Maras/Sents have the invincibility ability that lasts 3 or 4 seconds, can turn invis for a bit and leap. Guardians/Juggs have leap, force push, choke/stasis. PTs/Vanguards can pull people to them, leap to people (if spec'd) etc. Assassin/Shadows can turn invis in and out of combat, (I think) they have the speed ability etc. What do commando/mercs have? A stealth scan with a CD and that combat regeneration that restores about 3% our health. That sucks. We need for defensive abilites that only our class has. Here are some examples:

1. Retreat- You would jump/jetpack backwards 15-20 meters away from threats

2. Reactive Shield (updated)- Reactive Shield now makes it so when its on you can't be rooted,stunned,interrupted, leaped too/pulled and movement speed increases 5-8% when on

3. Mine Field - Four hovering mines surround you and anyone who enters within 10 meters of you blows up one mine that does moderate damage and gives you a buff for reduced damage taken by 1% for 10 seconds.

4. Smoke Grenade - Makes you unable to be seen through the smoke for 5 seconds

5. Amnesia Dart - Shoots a dart at a target with stuns them for 6 seconds and causes them to forget who they were targeting so they loose target of you

6. Crippling Blast - You blast up to 4 targets around you rooting them for 5 seconds, breaks on damage after the first 3 seconds

7. Riot Droid- You call down a riot droid that drops down in front of you and takes 50% of all damage inflicting on you for 10 seconds

8. Adrenaline Spurt- You have an adrenaline spurt and can cast abilities 5% faster, increases critical hit chance by 10% and increases speed by 5-8% for 12 seconds.

That are my suggestions and ideas Bioware. If anyone has an idea feel free to state it and your opinions. Thank You! :D

Edited by Essence_of_Light

No offense, but you need to take a closer look at your abilities before saying you don`t have any and linking those of other classes. In no particular order you have:

Cryo Grenade (4 sec stun)

Reactive shield (25% damage mitigation)

Concussion charge (AOE knockback)

Concussive round (soft stun)

Work with what you have. I agree the class needs some tweaks, but not because of lack of defensive abilities. On those terms, only the sage beats the commando, and only slightly.

No offense, but you need to take a closer look at your abilities before saying you don`t have any and linking those of other classes. In no particular order you have:

Cryo Grenade (4 sec stun)

Reactive shield (25% damage mitigation)

Concussion charge (AOE knockback)

Concussive round (soft stun)

Work with what you have. I agree the class needs some tweaks, but not because of lack of defensive abilities. On those terms, only the sage beats the commando, and only slightly.

• Cyro Grenade only has a 10 meter use and isn't that helpful against 2 players attacking you.
  • Reactive shield is okay BUT can be better and more useful
  • Concussion charge is nothing special (doesn't root them long and it doesn't do much damage at all) Its even worse against mara/sents if you knock em back they just leap to you again
  • Concussive round stinks. Lets face it, if you try to use it you get interrupted and if you do use it 75% of the time someone will break it (it breaks on damage)

All other classes have ATLEAST ONE special thing about them that make them better than commando/mercs. Sorry, but nice try. Ask the other ton of people that play commando/mercs and we have nothing special except stealth scan with isn't useful in escaping.

Bioware you need to stop stalling and atleast TRY to fix this class. If you even TRY i'll be happy. We are good at DPS but our survivability and lack of utility make us easy targets. We suck at 1v1 and every class in the hands of an average/above average player will tear us apart. Sorcs/Sage have that "super speed" ability and bubble. Snipers/Gunslingers have "hunker down", 100% protection bubble for 3 seconds, root, AoE stun etc. Operatives/Scoundrals can go in and out of stealth out of combat and in combat. Maras/Sents have the invincibility ability that lasts 3 or 4 seconds, can turn invis for a bit and leap. Guardians/Juggs have leap, force push, choke/stasis. PTs/Vanguards can pull people to them, leap to people (if spec'd) etc. Assassin/Shadows can turn invis in and out of combat, (I think) they have the speed ability etc. What do commando/mercs have? A stealth scan with a CD and that combat regeneration that restores about 3% our health. That sucks. We need for defensive abilites that only our class has. Here are some examples:

2. Reactive Shield (updated)- Reactive Shield now makes it so when its on you can't be rooted,stunned,interrupted, leaped too/pulled and movement speed increases 5-8% when on

3. Mine Field - Four hovering mines surround you and anyone who enters within 10 meters of you blows up one mine that does moderate damage and gives you a buff for reduced damage taken by 1% for 10 seconds.

5. Amnesia Dart - Shoots a dart at a target with stuns them for 6 seconds and causes them to forget who they were targeting so they loose target of you

6. Crippling Kick - You kick up to 4 targets around you rooting them for 5 seconds, breaks on damage after the first 3 seconds

7. Riot Droid- You call down a riot droid that drops down in front of you and takes 50% of all damage inflicting on you for 10 seconds

8. Adrenaline Spurt- You have an adrenaline spurt and can cast abilities 5% faster, increases critical hit chance by 10% and increases speed by 5-8% for 12 seconds.

That are my suggestions and ideas Bioware. If anyone has an idea feel free to state it and your opinions. Thank You! :D

I also forgot to add that i may have gotten some of the abilities mixed up since I haven't played every class. Feel free to comment.

I do believe I saw a commando/merc mega thread in this section not to long ago. It's definitely something they're looking at. It's a well established fact that these 2 classes have some of the worst defensive/utility skills in the game right now.

6. Crippling Kick - You kick up to 4 targets around you rooting them for 5 seconds, breaks on damage after the first 3 seconds

I do agree that commandos needs boost for survivability. I have lvl 50 commando and it doesn't matter am I healer or on dps spec, once someone zeroes me in it's about 10 or 20 sec and I'm dead, with healer spec I'm able to prolong it, but it's always just a matter of time when they take me down.

I dropped my commando months ago....

First of all we have a skill where you deploy holo images of yourself (aggro dump), it has zero meaning in PvP. They should add that you get 90% melee & ranged defense for the duration of the effect. The effect should take about 6 or 10 seconds.

We lost as gunnery commandos the ability to have knockback effect by stockstrike (*** Bioware), and replaced it by weak good for nothing root. I'd say give knockback effect to stockstrike by default to commandos, and if you spec as gunnery, you'd get that root there aswell, maybe even increase the knockback range.

The AoE knockback (concussion charge ? ) should ROOT the player for 3 to 5 seconds, then have the players movement speed reduced for 50% for few seconds.

Reactive shield should reduce the damage you take by total of 30%. And with gunnery spec you'd get another 5 or 10% there aswell (perk/skill related unlock).

The adrenaline healing ability is a joke for troopers & BH's alike. Make it insta 10% max health heal. (lol)

Cryo grenades range is poor, for vanguards it's ok, but not for ranged dps class like commando, make it 15 or 20m, I think it's 5 or 10 atm.

After that grav rounds & charged bolts should be uninterruptible ! If we can't interupt snipers ambush, snipe or series of shots, then by god commando should be there aswell.

MAYBE add there AoE stun, a flashbang kind of a thingy. It's not that hard Bioware. If you can't fix this class then can you change my lvl 50 commando into vanguard ?? At least I'd have character worth to play with.

I do agree that commandos needs boost for survivability. I have lvl 50 commando and it doesn't matter am I healer or on dps spec, once someone zeroes me in it's about 10 or 20 sec and I'm dead, with healer spec I'm able to prolong it, but it's always just a matter of time when they take me down.

I dropped my commando months ago....

First of all we have a skill where you deploy holo images of yourself (aggro dump), it has zero meaning in PvP. They should add that you get 90% melee & ranged defense for the duration of the effect. The effect should take about 6 or 10 seconds.

We lost as gunnery commandos the ability to have knockback effect by stockstrike (*** Bioware), and replaced it by weak good for nothing root. I'd say give knockback effect to stockstrike by default to commandos, and if you spec as gunnery, you'd get that root there aswell, maybe even increase the knockback range.

The AoE knockback (concussion charge ? ) should ROOT the player for 3 to 5 seconds, then have the players movement speed reduced for 50% for few seconds.

Reactive shield should reduce the damage you take by total of 30%. And with gunnery spec you'd get another 5 or 10% there aswell (perk/skill related unlock).

The adrenaline healing ability is a joke for troopers & BH's alike. Make it insta 10% max health heal. (lol)

Cryo grenades range is poor, for vanguards it's ok, but not for ranged dps class like commando, make it 15 or 20m, I think it's 5 or 10 atm.

After that grav rounds & charged bolts should be uninterruptible ! If we can't interupt snipers ambush, snipe or series of shots, then by god commando should be there aswell.

MAYBE add there AoE stun, a flashbang kind of a thingy. It's not that hard Bioware. If you can't fix this class then can you change my lvl 50 commando into vanguard ?? At least I'd have character worth to play with.

I agree with most of what you said. Especially about if they won't fix Commandos and Mercs then let us switch to Vanguard!

I do believe I saw a commando/merc mega thread in this section not to long ago. It's definitely something they're looking at. It's a well established fact that these 2 classes have some of the worst defensive/utility skills in the game right now.

I agree that they are the worst (pvp) class right now with the worst utility. I also do hope that the Devs see this thread and are planning to make some commando/merc changes before/on 1.6

Forgot to throw there the idea of having a ability that prevents players to leap on you. Maybe even make it a support kind of ability.

Imagine gunslingers/snipers balistic shield kind of looking thingy, that everyone who are inside that bubble cannot be force leaped onto, it would be smaller bubble than the actual size of balistic shield. Could last perhaps 15 to 30 seconds ? It would be a device the commando puts into ground and the device stays there. Putting the device down takes perhaps 2 to 4 seconds.

We used to have a handy knock back ability that we could spec in to that came with Stock Strike or Rocket Punch. When I had those abilities, I felt like I had all the survivability I would ever need. Now...not anymore. Losing that one knock back has really tipped the scales and makes me a walking meat bag. Hey, w/e though, at least Marauders and Sentinels got a buff, right?

Nerf the most lacking class, give the best class a buff...that just made sooo much sense. Fricken Bioware...

You're on the right track with this one, but the player needs the ability to control the landing. 15-20m backwards could land you in a pit of fire or somewhere else you don't want to be.

Same thing. You're on to something here, but not as-is. The CD on Reactive Shield is far too long to make any of this worthwhile.

As for the rest of your suggestions, some are just plain silly, while others are overpowered.

Edited by TheronFett

You're on the right track with this one, but the player needs the ability to control the landing. 15-20m backwards could land you in a pit of fire or somewhere else you don't want to be.

Same thing. You're on to something here, but not as-is. The CD on Reactive Shield is far too long to make any of this worthwhile.

As for the rest of your suggestions, some are just plain silly, while others are overpowered.

I agree with you on both the things you mention on the 2 abilities and as with the rest, I'm sorry you think my ideas are silly/op but you have to remember that I'm just trying to give Bioware ideas and not tell them to "do this or else". Anyway thanks for your comment/suggestion.

Well we had the class feedback,

And the 1.4 Commandos.....Thoughts? threads.

There were really good suggestions in both of them and we ended with more nerfs. The only good change was the new interrupt .

In the end I don't even log my Gunnery Trooper at all because one has to be masochist to play such a lackluster class.

It feels like the devs who looked at the topics don't care or are totally lost.

Speaking of PVP mostly everyone agrees on there was too much stun/roots in TOR and yet the devs added more in 1.5.

At this point I'd suggest anyone not asking for anything at all because you might certainly being left in a worse status after the devs are done with your class.

I dare anyone (devs and player alike) bringing the proof the Trooper and especially the Gunnery Trooper has improved in 1.5 both in PvE and PVP. Be my guest, it's going to be much fun....

I have A LOT of issues playing a Mercenary. Some things I have seen:

If you are having trouble with Sentinel leaps, Jet Boost them, then Rocket Punch them so they get rooted as soon as they leap back in. Or, Jet Boost them, then run towards them until they are too close to leap again, this way you save your Rocket Punch for a root after they leap.

The cast times for Mercenary are RIDICULOUS. I do play Arsenal; and I have played Pyro quite a bit as well, but still the same thing. I find myself casting so much if I can't stand still, I can't cast, and I can't do DPS. Since we are getting smoked anyway, a REALLY simple fix would be to allow us to move while casting. And just so someone at Bioware reads this.

Last time I checked Jango didn't stand still, he was actually hard to catch. You say you have tried to make this game like we can do everything we saw in the movies. SO MAKE MERCENARY A MOBILE BOUNTY HUNTER. We aren't Inquisitors, we don't use "magic" we shouldn't have to cast, we have two pistols man.

Thank you for your time.

Edited by Sliverspark

1. Maybe have it like Guild Wars 2's Mesmer i believe it was, it had like a Teleport ability that you could use in any direction you just clicked and you teleported there. and since we can select where its going I would limit it to a max of 15 meters and maybe give a 25% increase to move speed for 5 seconds? . For Merc's its really easy to Animate thanks to the rockets and stuff we have on our gear, Much like how we fly into the air with Death from Above we could get a Rocket jump/flip to a selected area A bit like Warriors/Knights Leap. Commandos probably wouldn't look as good but i mean it could be what i picture as a Military 'Commando roll' where you roll to the selected area. Sorta like how you roll into cover as a Gunslinger or Sniper.

2. Since, Hypothetically, we now have the Rocket jump/roll Which should be on around a one minute cooldown. Reactive shield should have around the same cool down. just to ensure our escape. i mean, there is no point in the Jump/roll if a mara or juggernaut can simply jump to us again instantly. However you would remove the movement speed increase since you get it from the Jump OR You could make the Rocket Jump/roll Ability give you a buff that prevents CC/leaps/pulls for 5 seconds and then you can use Reactive shield to increase that another 3 seconds and give you 8% movement speed.

that's my thoughts on how those two could be achieved. :)

Edited by DeludedAussie

Heck, give back the Stockstrike KB and increase Cryo Grenade's range and that would make a pretty nice difference for starters. Both of those are simple fixes, all things considered.

The only time I run my Commando these days is for Daily Comms and when some friends want to run lvl 50 stuff Republic-side, otherwise he collects dust.

Here are my thoughts:

1) Retreat/Jet Pack: 2 min CD, possibly 1:30 if talented. This ability has an AoE knockdown/2 sec stun similar to how the Seismic Grenades work, and launches the Commando/Merc up to 30m away. There needs to be a mouse-controlled target landing zone so the player can select where to land. The Merc animation would use the jetpack of course, I also like the mentioned drop and roll for the Commando. Whatever the animation is fine with me, as long as there is an AoE effect to thwart multiple melee attackers.

2) Combat Stance: Another activated ability for the Gunnery/Arsenal tree. When activated, this ability roots the player in place and makes him immune to leaps, pulls, and knockbacks, similar to how Cover works. This ability should have a very short CD, or at least have the CD be reset by using other skills. And for God's sake, don't tie it to Tracer Missile/Grav Round like everything else.

3) Bring back the knockback on Stock Strike/Rocket Punch...and make it available for all specs, not just midway up the Gunnery/Arsenal tree. The recent change making it a root was pointless.

Changes along these lines would go a LONG way to addressing the survivabilty problems with this class. I honestly think the damage output is fine, but would like to see a baseline increase in the effectiveness of the 2 heals for DPS specs. If this is meant to be a support class with sustained damage + off heals, then those off heals need to actually be worth a damn.

Edited by TheronFett

Heck, give back the Stockstrike KB and increase Cryo Grenade's range and that would make a pretty nice difference for starters. Both of those are simple fixes, all things considered.

The only time I run my Commando these days is for Daily Comms and when some friends want to run lvl 50 stuff Republic-side, otherwise he collects dust.

I agree bringing those 2 back would make a difference but it would only be a slight difference and we would be basically back where we started. It certainly would help to bring them back, especially cryo grenade (over 10 meters), but i also think we need more/better escape/utility abilities. Thx for the feedback.

Merc dps is the worst subclass in the game. Followed closely by Commando dps.

My suggestion would be to buff Ironsights so that it increases Accuracy AND Aim by 3% per skill pt. Combine that with a lower CD on JetBoost, and giving JetBoost the same removal of movement impairment effects and speed boost that the Sorc Sprint ability got. These are small changes that don't require any animation changes or new skills. And they won't change PvE balance.

But the big thing is that BW must change their mindset that Merc dps is overpowered. BW's ingame stat collection system was revolutionary for MMOs, but it has a fatal flaw - it doesn't control for changes in player skill quality. When you have a subclass that is utilized by a tiny fraction of players, those players are usually the most seasoned, geared and committed to their class. They generate higher meta average numbers and it makes their subclass appear to be OP from a statistical standpoint. Until BW admits that their use of meta average productivity numbers is the wrong way to manage class (im)balance, nothing good will happen.

Merc dps is the worst subclass in the game. Followed closely by Commando dps.

I do not agree on you with this statement that you made. Commando and merc are a mirrored subclass so they are basically the exact same except for names, armor look, different animations. So there is no way a "Merc is worse than a commando" or "Commando is worse than a merc" They are the same attack wise and both have the same escape issues.

Last time I checked Jango didn't stand still, he was actually hard to catch. You say you have tried to make this game like we can do everything we saw in the movies. SO MAKE MERCENARY A MOBILE BOUNTY HUNTER. We aren't Inquisitors, we don't use "magic" we shouldn't have to cast, we have two pistols man.

Thank you for your time.

Exactly! I understand we will still NEED to cast sometimes but this is crazy. Have you noticed in SW Episode 2 in the arena and on Kamino, Jango used his jetpack to propel himself away from enemies and into a safe distance. Now, why don't we have that?

Pretty good ideas I think. Dunno why but it seems like any buff they do will just swing the pendulum the other way and then commandos will be the new OP class of the month that everyone rolls to. May as well let you guys have it for a turn, derpsmashtards are getting OLD.

Yes, "derpsmashtards" are indeed getting really old. I wish that they could just give us more utility/buff us without making us OP. I would think it wouldn't be too hard. Thx for your feedback.