The Importance of Player Feedback with the New Free-to-Play Option

CourtneyWoods

Every man needs an army. When I was a Death Knight in service of the High king Varian, I had an army of unliving beings, here I have to make one. So 50, is reasonable.

just to be safe: /sarcasm

If they give us a Legacy ability allowing us to summon other chars from our legacy (maybe as non combatant companions) or something like that, I'm in for 50+ chars. You have to admit you'd love to command your own squad of troopers, hahaha.

Edited by Erethrian

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, here’s feedback from a returning subscriber after playing for two months after launch without ever hitting the level cap on any of my 8 characters. My impressions: Nice UI changes, funny, yet expensive Legacy and Cartel Market unlocks, and nothing else—the game is still the same and I don’t think I will continue to subscribe.

My friends, who did not return to the game, refered to it as “strongly repetitive”. I believe that has not changed: The quests have more or less interesting stories, but they all come down to “kill stuff” and “kill more for bonus” or the occasional “activate object” (surrounded by enemies)—absolutely boring, especially if you already outlevel your enemies (which just simply happens if you complete the areas before leaving for the next planet) and have to punch your way—yet again—through hordes of enemies, more like a minefield, who just never seem to die, even if killed, they just come back a minute later. Oh, and if you don’t, you get less XP… I would never have imagined that the Dune Sea on Tatooine is such a lively place. There is not one spot anywhere in the world without an enemy spawn in range, or so it would seem.

Without any different ways of playing out my skills, combat will always be “strongly repetitive.” In this game I can’t play the guy I want to be, I play a combat role: one of three, without any chance of playing the non-combat game (just doesn’t exist, which is seriously lacking in an MMO). Crew skills are simply a poor excuse for an interesting crafting/trading/mining system and nothing has changed since launch to improve that experience.

I enjoyed the dialogs, especially the story dialogs seem to be really amazing, or so I thought, until I reached level 25 or something, when the lines and voice overs begin to repeat. It’s just not funny to speak to three different NPCs in the same area and hear you say “What’s the upside for me?” three times… That takes out the last bit of “roleplay” for me, even in my otherwise unlimited imagination, and makes it all grindy. Again, no noticeable changes since launch.

All in all, Star Wars provides a very rich experience, but this game doesn’t hold up and scales it down to combat, playable in three different ways (plus your Rebel Assault flashbacks in space). I know that won’t be enough to keep me here. More depth is needed.

Starting today, Preferred Status Players will see an increase to their default Quickbars from two (2) to four (4). If you’ve already purchased additional Quickbars, don’t worry: we will be refunding your Cartel Coins for any Quickbar-related purchase.

As subscriber, i need more than 6 Quickbars for all this f2p items, pls do this! :)

Edited by Glower

If they give us a Legacy ability allowing us to summon other chars from our legacy (maybe as non combatant companions) or something like that, I'm in for 50+ chars. You have to admit you'd love to command your own squad of troopers, hahaha.

Hell yeah it would be awesome, and do like Anakin Skywalker on Ep III it would be awesome xD

And man, i dont want to see another star wars MMO die, just like galaxies, so please hear MORE the peeps in order to it continue up....

I was excited when I first heard that F2P players were limited on warzones. I was hopping this would push the masses into open zones for some large scale PvP fun. Unfortunately there wasnt much of a change in PvP. I, along with my friends are paying subscribers, and will continue to to be, purely for the PvP. We would like to see PvP advancements based on individual long term pvp success.

Hell yeah it would be awesome, and do like Anakin Skywalker on Ep III it would be awesome xD

And man, i dont want to see another star wars MMO die, just like galaxies, so please hear MORE the peeps in order to it continue up....

Galaxies didn't die. TOR murdered it...

One legacy that goes across all servers please, or at least make the legacy unlocks account wide. With limited character creation and the fact most people play on more then one server having to pay more then once seems like gouging the consumer.

My advice would be to add the Customization Control Unlocks (Display Titles, Display Legacy Name, Hide Head Slot, Unify Colors) for people who have purchased the game. There are plenty of other things that former subscribers who bought the game are willing to pay for to get what they want out of the game, and giving them these unlocks for purchasing the game would make coming back to the game more comfortable for them. Edited by MadBlue

My advice would be to add the Customization Control Unlocks (Display Titles, Display Legacy Name, Hide Head Slot, Unify Colors) for people who have purchased the game. There are plenty of other things that former subscribers are willing to pay for to get what they want out of the game, and giving them these unlocks for purchasing the game would make coming back to the game more comfortable for them.

While this seems logical on the surface.... the game sells for under $15 now in stores. That's less then a months subscription and they get 30 days free full access to the game.

So, no, this would not work effectively from a business standpoint. A modest investment in coins can achieve these unlocks... so that is the way to go given the current pricing model for the boxed (or digigal) purchase of the game.

I personally think that introducing the F2P model is really great! People who either cannot afford it or just want to try it first without paying money now have a great chance to do the game. The Cartel coin market system seems to work well but some players will not get involved in it at all. Mostly it is a good use of the F2P model.

On the other hand Bioware, The majority if the players and want-to-be players are mostly in it for the story. I love PvP but story is better. So by giving away 100% of the story in F2P you are giving up what all the people will be paying for without F2P. In Warzones and Flashpoints having a Cap helps to encourage players to pay but in a Flashpoint generally some person in your group chooses to speed through the Flashpoint and spacebar convos. This way the F2Per may not get the full experience. Warzones are similar if you get in a bad group but it isn't to common as ppl try hard even though the may still fail miserably.

50 characters? More than 50?!

Why the heck would I need to create 20 troopers, or whatever?

Exactly. I find it laughable that the FTPers are getting a lot of perks and the subbers are now getting the useless ability to create more then 50 toons across different servers LOL. Then they actually post it as if it is what everyone wants and is a great idea.

Wouldnt you think that catering to the subbers would be a bit more important then the FTPers? If I was BW or EA I wouldnt want to lose more subs...

While this seems logical on the surface.... the game sells for under $15 now in stores. That's less then a months subscription and they get 30 days free full access to the game.

So, no, this would not work effectively from a business standpoint. A modest investment in coins can achieve these unlocks... so that is the way to go given the current pricing model for the boxed (or digigal) purchase of the game.

Presumably giving Preferred status players 2 more quickslots and 4 more character slots wouldn't be effective from a business standpoint either, but there you go. The quickslots are 1080 CC. I would imagine that 4 character slots would go for more than twice that. The Customization unlocks are a total of 1940 CC.

I guess it really would depend on whether or not former subscribers are currently buying those unlocks or not, and if former players are turned off enough by not having those features that they're not coming back to the game.

If it's something that will draw former players back, and it doesn't cost BioWare anything to do it, it could be very effective from a business standpoint.

Edited by MadBlue

Does the increase in character slots also include an increase in the per server limit? I'd love to create more characters, but I want them all on the the same server where I'm legacy level 50 and the guild leader of a large guild that spans both Republic and Empire on the server.

I'd much rather have 20 character slots on the same server than 100 slots across all servers.

Reply by csr to the HK part not dropping in a heroic - we are only helping with class-related issues and they closed the ticket on a subbed player and didn't reply to mine.

Customer service should not be overwhelmed by the onslaught of free to play players. If it is, then you need to hire more csrs or re-train the ones you have and better yet give subbed players a priority for in-game bug issues like the HK part or something else.

As a paying player I deserve help when I send in a ticket.

Here is replay.

After last patch no1 can equip purple items on chars.

Fix that

I haven't read the thread yet, but post 1 already shows a great example of useless feedback.

Bad spelling (Forgivable but if this was a large post it would end up too hard to read and not worth the effort). Stating 'facts' without proof (Like how you know everyone has the same issue). Lack of actual detail (Which purple items? What error? What slot?). Demand made (And an unrealistic one at that!).

It is also massively off topic, because the blog is about feedback on the FTP option.

Posts like this are why feedback hardly ever gets a reply, why people think it is never listened to, and why these forums are full of rubbish. My one suggestion for the feedback team is this: Create a 'constructive feedback' section of the forum, then if you see bad feedback in it, email the submitter with an example of good feedback and try to educate them. Ban those who won't learn from posting to clear the clutter!

My opinion of FTP is that it works well. I subbed within minutes of seeing how little I got for free. I think that the stuff that most people would buy (Quality of life stuff) like UI and storage are well priced, and the vanity stuff (Pets and gear) is expensive as it should be. So overall well done. I dislike the grey icon that F2Pers have, it is like the jews wearing a yellow star to show they are inferior all over again*.

*Before you flame ask your history teacher.

I haven't read the thread yet, but post 1 already shows a great example of useless feedback.

Bad spelling (Forgivable but if this was a large post it would end up too hard to read and not worth the effort). Stating 'facts' without proof (Like how you know everyone has the same issue). Lack of actual detail (Which purple items? What error? What slot?). Demand made (And an unrealistic one at that!).

It is also massively off topic, because the blog is about feedback on the FTP option.

Posts like this are why feedback hardly ever gets a reply, why people think it is never listened to, and why these forums are full of rubbish. My one suggestion for the feedback team is this: Create a 'constructive feedback' section of the forum, then if you see bad feedback in it, email the submitter with an example of good feedback and try to educate them. Ban those who won't learn from posting to clear the clutter!

My opinion of FTP is that it works well. I subbed within minutes of seeing how little I got for free. I think that the stuff that most people would buy (Quality of life stuff) like UI and storage are well priced, and the vanity stuff (Pets and gear) is expensive as it should be. So overall well done. I dislike the grey icon that F2Pers have, it is like the jews wearing a yellow star to show they are inferior all over again*.

*Before you flame ask your history teacher.

They never listen. Don't try to defend them by accusing the players of being at fault.

Hello all

I have been playing since launch and have never left the game. This being my first MMO the biggest problem i have found i s finding a regular group to play with. I have yet to do any end game OPS. I have been in and out of many guild but they never seem to have a stable base of players. The group finder allowd players to do the Flash poinst which was awsome, the single best add to the game!

To help players of like mids fide a good group it would be nice to put backthe guild finder you had a launch. Guilds can opt to be open or close. Guilds looking for players and taking applications like at launch or have there guild close and not receiving applications. Onthe community web page Under the server section guilds can have sub sections like character and ac classes for players to look for group. The origional guild finder would be perfict. From my experience the biggest drag on the game was the community development. I never did find the guild from the guild finder at launch.

PS Can you add a cartel market purchas to unlock a legacy item for legacy datacrons once is enough with those I'll quit befor i get them again.

To be honest I believe Bioware needs to fix some of the pre-existing problems instead of the new ones that have come with the F2P model. Some of the issues that they need to fix in my opinion are:

1.) Being able to trade in commendations for other commendations. I am lvl 50 and have had those old planetary commendations in my inventory forever. Make it to where you can upgrade them to other commendations. For example, you have 10 hutta commendations you can't use. You turn in those to get Dromund Kaas commendations. Do that or make it to where the gear you buy with those is BoE or at least BoA. That way we can do SOMETHING with those commendations.

2.) Add schematics drops in ops for Armstech crew skill. I'm tired of running through op after op and not getting any crafting schematics while other crew skills recieve them. I feel like armstech is the red headed stepchild of the crew skills.

3.) Add an option to where you can que up in a ranked warzone by yourself. I'm not talking about mixing premades and solo ques together I'm talking about mixing solo ques with solo ques. I like to pvp everynow and then but I get sick of people running around regular warzones like chickens with their heads cut off not knowing what to do. You could add some kind of valor restriction to it so you have to be valor rank 40 or so to be able to access that.

4.) It would be nice to interact with the cantina a little more than currently. You could add in pazzak which many players have been suggesting. You could also have an area in the combat training area of a ship (the part where all the pvp stuff is) where you can bet on warzone matches and spectate them. In KOTOR that was one of the things you could do if I recall correctly.

5.) Design some new armor. The blackhole, campagin, and dreadguard gear look absolutley awful. I know you don't have to wear it and you can rip mods but that costs too much imo. You should look like a kick *** bounty hunter not like someone wearing scuba diving gear.

6.) Have it to where you can set up arena teams for ranked warzones. This way it would be easier to keep track of people and get a group together, much like a guild.

7.) Have swoop racing. This is another topic that is brought up frequently in the forums. You could have to where you can set up swoop racing teams and compete against other swoop racers. You could also then add a feature where you guys have a giant tournament and the winning team wins some really good items, or they win cartel coins.

8.) Add in guild crests. When you're in a guild you want something that makes you stand out from everyone else. You want something that represents you and that you can wear with pride. By adding guild crests you could display these on your armor and would make it to where everyone doesn't look the same.

Lastly to all you F2P members, you should be happy that bioware doesn't restrict any of the story content because plenty of other mmos do that to F2P members. No matter what F2P game you play there will always be some kind of restrictions. You should be happy that bioware doesn't make you have to unlock every single flashpoint or op to keep you from experiencing it. Yes some of the restrictions are inconvenient but nothing in life is free so get over it.