Watchman Questions.

BulimicPanda

I've been doing some research trying to find information about PvE Watchman tips. It's been difficult with all the pvp chatter in the forums but I've found a lot of helpful information nonetheless.

This is the build I run: http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/skills/Sentinel#9f28e8clc-ki-2

This is my current gear (Not optimized I KNOW): http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/7b4f6536-bf68-4f5e-8630-70975adfb521

I try to stack power and surge with some accuracy and crit on the side, mainly focusing on power/surge.

My first question is: Is Insight really that important to take? In the gear shown above I am pulling 1788 dps with no grav round buff or adrenal over 6 minutes. (Sorry no link) I feel my rotation is solid and was just wondering if the extra 6% force crit would actually make a difference since Zen just makes 6 burn ticks auto crit anyway?

My second question: This question kind of relates to the first in that it involves crit chance. As it stands I sit at about 33% force crit chance without Insight. Since I'm not taking Insight currently would I have to put points into crit rating to compensate or no?

YES, I know my gear is not perfect and I DO know what I plan to do with it, but if anyone could give advice more on stats that would be great.

All help and information is welcome and appreciated, thanks!

What u wanna have for PvE is 50% chance to crit on ur dots since that will guarantee a heal each dot tick, which means healers won't have to heal u so much. In like HM TFB I pull off like 100k+ healing as watchman. Which means u want 35% crit in force fully buffed. Edited by OHaran

Hello,

Let me start with this. (It's basic, but still helpful).

Second let me say, that there is still a debate between "crit watchman" and "power watchman". The skinny on the two sides is one stacks crit and the other stacks power (sorry, I realize this is kind of a 'duh' statement).

Now to my personal opinion on stat weights on watchman (Note: if you can't respect that other people have opinions and that how you think to build a watchman is not fact but also opinion, please stop reading here). I prefer the benefits of power over crit (especially since the self heal was dropped from 2% to 1%), I run the same skill tree you run as well. The glaring difference between my stat distribution and yours is augments. I personally go with power augments versus the strength augments the direct damage increase is higher point per point for power (I believe). But basically I'd try to keep accuracy ~100% with steadfast, have two maybe three pieces with crit instead of power (implants and maybe one modable), everything else power / surge and power augments.

I also thought I'd link some older threads I've posted in so you can do some more research and find what works best for you.

-Xiij

*EDIT* - I apparently deleted the last sentence of the third paragraph... oops.

Links:

Anyway to upgrade my armor using 61s? - A little bit of math and reasoning why power > crit. (My post)

Annihilation/Watchman Endgame PvE (Dummy Parsers, Info and explanations) - Someone asking a similar question.

[Guide] The Watchmen and Combat PvE basics - Again, simple guide but still hits some high points (more for others reading this thread though).

Edited by Xiij

Another question, when is the ideal time to use Zen? On OS or on Cauterize? So far I've been using Zen on Cauterize but I figure since the third tier of OS ticks for more than cauterize, but I don't believe it ticks 6 times by itself. So should I be using zen on the 2nd tier of OS or Cauterize? Or does it really not make a huge difference?

Ideally use Zen with overload and cauterize on target...less than ideal use it on cauterize preferably just before so all 6 ticks of cauterize get used, otherwise you'll waste a tick or 2 of Zen with cauterize going when you pop it.

Cauterize is almost as much damage as 3 stacks of overload and ticks 6 times...overload ticks 3 times. Zen will crit 6 ticks of your burns.

Also...the best burst phase of your opening rotation would be to use Zen on overload and cauterize followed by merciless. After that...you can either hit cauterize again if merciless proc'ed or use masterstrike if your big moves are all on cooldown. That burst phase can dish 12-16k pretty quickly. The only problem is the setup if you're not using valorous call on cooldown you should be...it will keep your healing and burn damage up.

I am from the school of thought of stacking strength as much as I can...get enough crit to hit 30% unbuffed (takes less crit enhancements stacking strength) then get surge north of 75% and stack power once you're there. Accuracy needs to be around 99% shouldn't take much to get there.

Edited by planet_J