Arenas yet?

Izola

I'm not one of those people that QQ and say Do it or I quit

(Nothing a man says matters up until the word... BUT)

But............

I don't see myself sticking around for a MMO without one. This is NOT a do it or I quit thread. I just have the most fun playing with FRIENDS and rateds are great but don't take the SKILL/Chess match that is a small instance death match.

I am PVP only, And I'm a WOW Baby (Prob Y I like Arenas) So EndGame PVP to me Does Not mean rateds. Although I'm sure to love playing them.

Has anyone heard If they plan in any way to do small team arenas in the near future?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But............

I don't see myself sticking around for a MMO without one. This is NOT a do it or I quit thread. I just have the most fun playing with FRIENDS and rateds are great but don't take the SKILL/Chess match that is a small instance death match.

I am PVP only, And I'm a WOW Baby (Prob Y I like Arenas) So EndGame PVP to me Does Not mean rateds. Although I'm sure to love playing them.

Has anyone heard If they plan in any way to do small team arenas in the near future?

I respectfully disagree - I think warzones are more of a throwback to original mmo PvP (minus the objectives) just because they are less calculated.

I'm not against arena's being added to the game - I'm jut saying I don't enjoy them personally. I'm totally fine with them adding them for other people to enjoy, though.

I have to be honest, though... I think WoW took a nosedive starting (slowly) when arenas were first released. Things became so much more about precise balancing of classes, and thus began the re-rolling that people did every month to the new-best dps class. I don't know, it just seemed very different from the traditional MMO experience I was used to.

To answer your question, I've heard no hint of arenas.

• 3 weeks later...

Agree When we getting them?

I really don't see playing a game long term without all the FUN.

For now it's fine, but what about a Mo from now? Rateds are cool but don't have the same feeling as a GOOD OLD FASHION ARENA.

I'll get bored, So When we getting ARENAS BW?

We didn't engineer the game and classes and balance around it, we just added it on, so it continues to be very difficult to balance. Is WoW a PvE cooperative game, or a competitive PvP game? There's constant pressure on the class balance team, there's pressure on the game itself, and a lot of times players who don't PvP don't understand why their classes are changing. I don't think we ever foresaw how much tuning and tweaking we'd have to do to balance it in that direction.

Rob Pardo, VP of Game Design for WoW.

SWTOR was definitly not engineered for such small scale PvP. They couldn't just throw arenas in without doing a massive overhaul, it would be a disaster.

I doubt they are going to do arena's. Arena pvp totally changed WoW and not in a good way. Not to mention this game isnt very well balanced for 1 v 1's. Small objective based pvp would be cool or even a deathmatch . If they seperate gear though like wow did, that will cuase a downhill spiral.

I doubt they are going to do arena's. Arena pvp totally changed WoW and not in a good way. Not to mention this game isnt very well balanced for 1 v 1's. Small objective based pvp would be cool or even a deathmatch . If they seperate gear though like wow did, that will cuase a downhill spiral.

Arenas were a great idea. In 1994.

No. They were bad even then. They are much worse now.

I just find the whole thing funny. Due to the pace of technological growth and the massive increase in bandwidth, we should be seeing games with hundreds of players fighting other over vast areas.

Instead people want a feature that was common in a select few MUDS back in the early 90s.

rateds are great but don't take the SKILL/Chess match that is a small instance death match.

You're right. They don't take the same skill. Warzones/battlegrounds take MORE skill and thought than small instance death match could ever hope to require.

They need to at least add a deathmatch style pvp, not everyone likes objective based games...

This I agree with. You get so many people in warzones that only go there because they just want to pvp and kill people. These people ruin the warzones for the players that actually want to try to play to win.

Just put in one Call of Duty warzone and take it out of the random queue (let people specifically queue up for it) to make all the deathmatch kiddies happy. The average quality of player in the objective warzones will immediately improve. Addition by subtraction.

Edited by YanksfanJP

But............

Arena does not require much skill unfortunately, its a kill or survive gameplay - where luck and team setup´s matter more than individual skill.

The best MMO pvp was always object based, like vanilla wow. There you need to play tactical, you have to use the environment, maps are much larger and a bad position can decide a game etc.

So many ANTI Arena people,

I promise when they come out I WON'T be one of those that picks on you for being BAD cuz of your rating.

We all know this is the only REAL reason you don't want it!

Here I figured it was fear of excessive class tuning based upon an additional factor bleeding into other areas of the game. That and concern that those that prefer objective based wz pvp will be pigeonholed into an arena route for gear reasons.

i love how everyones trashing arena pvp just cuz of what they expieranced in wow

heres a tip.blizzard didnt really care much for the pvp in the first place

As the most similarly styled mmo as well as the only major market one I am aware of with an extensive arena system I think its a rather fair and logical means of comparison.

So many ANTI Arena people,

I promise when they come out I WON'T be one of those that picks on you for being BAD cuz of your rating.

We all know this is the only REAL reason you don't want it!

Your avatar fits well with your comment. Self-imbued, like a hutt. You can't imagine reasons other than rating not to implement arenas? Way to have a… ah damnit I don't know the equivalent of "esprit critique" in english. Critical mind? That doesn't seem right.

Your avatar fits well with your comment. Self-imbued, like a hutt. You can't imagine reasons other than rating not to implement arenas? Way to have a… ah damnit I don't know the equivalent of "esprit critique" in english. Critical mind? That doesn't seem right.

I look like him IRL too,

People who didn't do well in arenas in WoW really shouldn't talk about how arena's require no skill. Because then you say things that make you sound stupid like "positioning didn't matter" in arenas.

If you don't want arenas because you are worried about the impact it will have on the game, that's legit, but don't make remarks claiming they required no skill. It's just plain not true. More so than WZs? How could we know, rated WZs haven't come out yet. I'm going to guess not so (once cross server ques come out).

I like them focusing on WZs to be totally honest, but it would be nice to see the impliment arenas in a non-competitive way. Just someplace people can go to have 4v4 duels. I really don't see what's wrong with that, and I bet it would be pretty fun.

*Edit*

Also, to the OP, you should get a 4v4 tourny started on your server. Tatooine is a great place to hold it, and it's been pretty successful on other servers.

Edited by Sireene
use of retarded - PM'd

I didnt wanted arena in this game cause i was afraid that BW will ruin most classes' gameplay and stuff.

But i see that BW is doing it anyway in 1.2

If arena is gonna bring class balance in game....i vote yes, even though im not happy with it

Edited by unicornfive

100% agreed with OP. I still play WoW with 3-4 friends and all we do is have a blast in arena--that's the one thing that currently can't be replicated in SWTOR and caused several of these same guys to unsubscribe :(.

It's obvious the people saying "LOLOLOL arena 0 skill" were the guys that A) never played arena or B) sat at 1200 rating for multiple years. Get to 3000 rating in WoW, and tell me that that required absolutely 0 effort/skill. The fact is, arena is a combination of gear, skill, and composition. Of course composition plays a role, just like how rateds will expose which teams/comps perform the strongest. Someone who is a "good" wz/bg player is easily exposed in arena where there individual skill is magnified and not blanketed by the crowd/multiple guards/pocket healers.

Some of us enjoy small deathmatch situations with close friends that last around 2 minutes over 15 min. warzones that begin to feel droll.

Edited by Anbokr