grand army of republic (clone army) vs army of old republic (swtor era)

rogetrooper

What model was the Star of Coruscant? Was it actually revealed? Because just looking on the remains on Hoth doesn't really give you an idea of how it used to look :p

Not really, but there are others. EG: The Javelin was a dreadnought that was large enough to protect 30 troop transports. Alone. Against an entire republic fleet....

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Source? Empire at war claims them to be prototypes during the Rise of the rebellion.

Also, these are standard clone legions, I highly doubt if AT-AT's were available during the clone wars, they'd be a standard.

I agree with the people who say that AT-ATs were invented and put in combat after the ending of the clone wars. I have watched many of the Star Wars The Clone Wars T.V series episodes and haven't seen a single thing that looks like an AT-AT besides the TE tanks. Just for the record I think the clone army would win over the OR army. The clones seem to have better equipment and ships than the OR army+they have commander Cody and CT-7567.

I agree with the people who say that AT-ATs were invented and put in combat after the ending of the clone wars. I have watched many of the Star Wars The Clone Wars T.V series episodes and haven't seen a single thing that looks like an AT-AT besides the TE tanks. Just for the record I think the clone army would win over the OR army. The clones seem to have better equipment and ships than the OR army+they have commander Cody and CT-7567.

They also have Commanders Bacara, Appo, And Bly. :D

Source? Empire at war claims them to be prototypes during the Rise of the rebellion.

Also, these are standard clone legions, I highly doubt if AT-AT's were available during the clone wars, they'd be a standard.

Battle of Jabiim.

Battle of Jabiim.

battle of jabiim are only time am found wear the AT-AT was use in combat befor veer resurected the project in imperal era, am have my douth that AT-AT was in genral inventory of GAR amoured legion

ps: genral 2 infantry deivision and 1 amoured dvision frome old republic vs genral 2 legion and amoured dvision of GAR pleas no more capital war ship or super weapons

*Blinks at this battle.......* Let's have a look see at the two here...

================

GAR Unit Layout

3 Clone Legions...

1 Legion= 9, 216 troops

= 27, 648 troops

OR Unit Layout

3 Infantry Divisions(I am assuming the OP is meaning a Brigade)

1 Division= 1k to 5k troops(for the sake of this I am going with 5k)

3 Divisions= 15,000 troops.

============

The OR troops are still outnumbered by over 10k

Also Aurbere and the other lot. I don't know WHY you guys are bringing the AT-AT into this....the GAR can do fine with the AT-TE and their other armor units.

The OR are just not in the same league as the GAR looking at it.

Before someone brings up the guys we saw in the Battle of Bothawui and Alderaan, those guys were Special Forces.

These guys would be the standard OR trooper. You notice how during the Esseles FP during the boarding section? Those guys were the standard, you may see some dressed in armor too(the generic kind).

============

Now let's take a look at their other things that they bring to the table.

============

Other units: GAR

AT-TE= All Terrain Tactical Enforcer...this should be all that the clones need for this, why bring up the AT-AT thing.. they aren't needed. The OR troops may take down 1 or 2, but really I just see them getting torn to shreds, the mass driver cannon is something that is very versatile and can be pretty deadly.

AT-PT= All Terrain Attack Pod, in short you have a mass driver cannon sniper tank here. Not really seeing the OR troops getting close enough to take them out as they would be at a distance, locking and taking out their targets.

AT-XT= While it wasn't mass produced(due to the technicians constantly wanting to make it better) it did see fair use, with it's capacity to become shielded along with it's motor cannon. The OR troops are gonna be hard pressed to take them out.

============

I would continue on the many vehicles at the GAR's disposal but I think you guys get the idea. So moving on...

=============

Other Units: OR

The OR has used other battle droids in the past, but I haven't seen them used much but either way....the other droids that they use in the SWTOR timeframe aren't gonna be much help as I see it, clones have taken on worse droids by the CIS.

I'm also not recalling any ground vehicles used much by them except for transport walkers.

============

As far as equipment....what I have looked up, I can't find much in regards for The Old Republic Troops. So am just leaving it out here.

In short...the Clones just seem to be superior to the TOR troops, that's what I have gathered here. There is just too little information in regards as to what the TOR troops have for them and what information they do have, it isn't up to par with what the Clones have at their disposal...which is a lot.

I know someone is gonna bring up energy shields for the OR Troops...which is nice, however I haven't really seen your run of the mill OR troop have an energy shield on them. At this point in the timeline, it seems that they have just done away with the personal energy shields for the regular troops.

Also I am back for a month yay! :D

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Except Rohm was proven to be, for the most part, correct there was a reason his group was one of the most decorated and successful because the life experiences outside of combat gave his men a wider knowledge base thus giving access to ideas that some one who is trained from birth would never have. He was also correct in not trusting the clones to think for themselves and just follow orders which lead to the death of nearly all the Jedi.

So all-in-all his opinion is meaningless until we look at the circumstances and he was proven absolutely correct in his opinion in every way other wise his troop would not have been nearly as successful or as decorated in comparison to the clone counter parts, but it was the reverse with his being one of the highest decorated and most successful. Where their clone counter parts that did just as well if not better, yes, were they the average, no. The average is what we are talking about here. When talking about the Average the average highly trained home grown human being is better then the Average Highly trained clone troop. Heck another example is Boba Fett vs the average clone. They are both made from the same DNA Boba just had a full life to experience everything the world has to offer heck last I checked Boba didn't go through the clones training program either so that just shows what a normal human being is capable of, slanted argument yes but it serves the point.

What's your source for this?

I don't recall or can find it anywhere being stated that Kota's Militia "one of the most decorated and successful", the 501st on the other hand....

All in all I'd support the GAR. Not only do they have better vehicles but there is counter evidence to suggest that they are more effective soldiers than say someone not grown in a test tube. Take the onset of the Stormtrooper, the distinction has always been that the new Stormtroopers were simply not as good as their clone counterparts:

"Since the Empire has redirected the clone trooper program to other pursuits and stepped up recruiting inferior humans from the Outer Rim, the operational effectiveness of this army has declined significantly."

―Commander CC-2224

That's a pretty clear demonstration that clones are simply superior, else the Imperial Military would have been better.

Clones may not have outside experiences, and less independence. But they make up for that via near perfect training, the best the galaxy can offer, in a wide range of battle tactics which makes them extremely effective and versatile fighters. Whereas with an natural soldiers its hit and miss, natural born humans just aren't as disciplined.

EDIT: Boba's excellence just proves how exceptional Jango's DNA is. As a child he was kicking serious @ss - you'd think any other human would be capable of that if they had the same life experiences? Not a chance.

EDIT: We should also note that Kota hand picked his soldiers, much like Vader did for the 501st - so naturally they would be an effective fighting force. But the same cannot be said if the entire Clone Army was comprised of non-clones.

Edited by Beniboybling

They are adaptable but not as much as an OR soldier would be. The average OR soldier would be very much like the Militia of Rohm Kota, their life experiences both in and out of combat and their ability to disobey orders that would get them killed and instead use a different means to accomplish the same task makes them better.
I'd challenge this, at the Battle of Umbara several clones disobeyed direct orders from Krell and approached the situation in a different and more effective way. Proving themselves to be capable of independent and creative thought, these clones had the same initial training as any other unit.

Are they a minority? Yes. But you are overestimating the creativity of a all human force, not all of them would display this kind of creativity and most would simply follow orders.

Though regardless these are rare cases anyway, most of the time the orders given where sound and effective. Even if this were the case it would only give them an advantage if they had a poor commanders.

That is something I would really like to attempt to find out more about. I keep hearing people say that because of the "dark ages" period that a lot of tech was lost and only during the Old Republic era that it's being rediscovered/reinvented. heard some people even try to say that the Republic/Sith in the game era is more advanced than clone wars era/Empire. I'd love to know where they are getting this information from, not that it is in this thread just discussions I've seen in game and no one gives a source other than some comics, knight errant or something.

I've always been under the impression that while some of the tech is impressive and unique during the SWTOR era that the Old Republic/Empire is way more advanced.

Its called the Draggluch Period. Here's some quotes from Wookiee:

The Republic Dark Age was the term given to the last century of the New Sith Wars, from around 1,100 BBY to the Ruusan Reformation of 1,000 BBY. During the Dark Age, the Republic, in the eyes of later centuries, had essentially ceased to exist.

Since the start of the Draggulch Period in 2,000 BBY, the Republic had been in decline. During the series of conflicts known as the New Sith Wars, thousands of worlds were abandoned to the New Sith Empire, while more were abandoned during the Republic's retreat. Thousands of longstanding corporations went bankrupt; lawlessness spread as the Republic government became increasingly overburdened and ineffectual; and numerous mines of valuable minerals dried up...

...The Republic could no longer afford to maintain the HoloNet beyond the Core Worlds, so communications between worlds outside the Core had to be maintained through couriers. Even worse, a galaxywide epidemic of Candorian plague killed off as much as two-thirds of the population of some worlds.

This was coupled with a steep decline in technology, for example see here - the decline in weapons technology is considerable. This largely explains why the technology of this era and technology of later eras are quite similar. Though I expect some greater catastrophe occurred before this as technology had notably regressed before the Dark Age.

And yes, Knight Errant supposedly shines some light on this.

*Blinks at this battle.......* Let's have a look see at the two here...

================

GAR Unit Layout

3 Clone Legions...

1 Legion= 9, 216 troops

= 27, 648 troops

OR Unit Layout

3 Infantry Divisions(I am assuming the OP is meaning a Brigade)

1 Division= 1k to 5k troops(for the sake of this I am going with 5k)

3 Divisions= 15,000 troops.

============

am dont now weare you got your numbers frome

but my number set and division about 10k-30k am using 10k

3 infantry dvision 30k fighting men

2 amoured dvision 20k fighting men

that give and total of 50k fighting men to the old rrepublic thats and low number up 1-3 fighting and support staff

3 legion 9216 fighting men

2 amoured battlegroup 10k fighting men and 5k in support staff

consider and not caculation support staff

that give total of 47684k total fighting men for GAR on frontline

that mense the GAR 2k less troops on the front line than the old republic

PS: to see if some one now more no gear off the old republic

am dont now weare you got your numbers frome

but my number set and division about 10k-30k am using 10k

3 infantry dvision 30k fighting men

2 amoured dvision 20k fighting men

that give and total of 50k fighting men to the old rrepublic thats and low number up 1-3 fighting and support staff

3 legion 9216 fighting men

2 amoured battlegroup 10k fighting men and 5k in support staff

consider and not caculation support staff

that give total of 47684k total fighting men for GAR on frontline

that mense the GAR 2k less troops on the front line than the old republic

PS: to see if some one now more no gear off the old republic

Where are you getting your numbers from then? Because the OR troops at max, had brigades which had anywhere between 1k-5k troops. I am just counting the troops, not the armor that they have, troops only.

I'm getting the numbers from the Wookie, showing how many men they had in legions/brigades.

Regardless of the numbers though in terms of troopers, the clones are still better and have superior vehicles. I am not recalling anything that the OR troops have at their disposal vehicle wise except for the walkers that they use to transport themselves.

Again....the OR guys have too little info on what they have at their disposal.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Where are you getting your numbers from then? Because the OR troops at max, had brigades which had anywhere between 1k-5k troops. I am just counting the troops, not the armor that they have, troops only.

I'm getting the numbers from the Wookie, showing how many men they had in legions/brigades.

Regardless of the numbers though in terms of troopers, the clones are still better and have superior vehicles. I am not recalling anything that the OR troops have at their disposal vehicle wise except for the walkers that they use to transport themselves.

Again....the OR guys have too little info on what they have at their disposal.

wookie page about the OR must be incomplet becos information am got frome secondary sorece do indicate that OR do oprate with division level units like 45 infantry division weare LT elin gaza was member off befor hawoc squad

and 81st infantry division who by the way are frome trooper story line, 4th dvision is frome battle of corellia ect

wookie page about the OR must be incomplet becos information am got frome secondary sorece do indicate that OR do oprate with division level units like 45 infantry division weare LT elin gaza was member off befor hawoc squad

and 81st infantry division who by the way are frome trooper story line, 4th dvision is frome battle of corellia ect

Ok, ok I see what you mean. However....we don't know the size of what a division was in the OR. I don't think it's entirely right to just go assuming they have X amount of troops because over time, numbers change in what constitutes as a division or a legion and so forth.

Hence why using a brigade is better, because at least we have an idea of how many men that is.

See this is what I mean by lack of information here...especially seeing as were using the TOR era OR army.

Ok, ok I see what you mean. However....we don't know the size of what a division was in the OR. I don't think it's entirely right to just go assuming they have X amount of troops because over time, numbers change in what constitutes as a division or a legion and so forth.

Hence why using a brigade is better, because at least we have an idea of how many men that is.

See this is what I mean by lack of information here...especially seeing as were using the TOR era OR army.

it says in the OR encyclopideia that a division is 20,000 to 40,000 men therefore we do know how much a division is:p

• 2 weeks later...