Zabuza's PvP tanking encyclopedia

NamikazeNaruto

Tank-based sins are terrible at pressuring healers nor should that be their niche in a serious game so the point is moot.

Point is not moot because of that fact alone, doing more dmg isn't what wins warzones, killing people at low health regardless if they are a healer or dps being healed etc is very important. A missed assassinate could allow a healer or dps to escape and a node to be delayed etc.

You can't advocate switching to a 31/1/9 to do more dmg with maul and then say you shouldn't be worried about killing people because it isn't your job...

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A missed assassinate could allow a healer or dps to escape and a node to be delayed etc.

so niche and you'll probably hit anyways doesn't matter

You can't advocate switching to a 31/1/9 to do more dmg with maul and then say you shouldn't be worried about killing people because it isn't your job...

I said you shouldn't worry about accuracy because you'll probably hit nontanks most of the time anyways. I said humping a healers' leg wasn't your job and as a tank based shadow it isn't. I said nothing about doing straight up damage

Edited by EatenByDistance

How does that change the point though? Whether it is a healer or a dps or a tank, missing an assassinate can be a huge deal.

By the way, I am only advocating a couple accuracy mods or using the WH striker implants, not saying you should keep all accuracy on all your gear, but I think a good balance is important not just ditching it completely.

Edited by Yodawizard

How does that change the point though? Whether it is a healer or a dps or a tank, missing an assassinate can be a huge deal.

base 90% accuracy is plenty enough for full tank because you don't use much melee at all and missing an assassinate is rarely a "huge deal" for kinetic specs

Edited by EatenByDistance

base 90% accuracy is plenty enough for full tank because you don't use much melee at all and missing an assassinate is rarely a "huge deal" for kinetic specs

I disagree, missing an assassinate (target below 30%) is almost always a huge deal, if you have a 95% chance to hit while buffed every 1/20 assassinates will be missed. Usually an assassinate will finish a target, you miss and they get a heal off, get a guard put on them etc can be the difference in a game.

Honestly, I would never run 31/0/10 or 31/1/9 with DPS gear. I did it a long time ago before we had our armor/self-heals nerfed, but now I wouldn't do it. 22/17/2 and 31/0/10 are for main tanking, in my opinion, so for those specs I'd wear tank gear. 27/0/14 and 23/1/17 are the specs I'd probably wear dps gear with, because in those specs I likely won't be main tanking, but either node guarding, or node harassing. A lot easier to win 1v1s in dps gear than tank gear. Edited by NamikazeNaruto

I also wouldn't drop all accuracy in favor of surge, in the kinetic builds. Also dropping all crit in favor of power is also a tricky one. You basically drop sustained damage for infrequent burst. And critting that 10% more often on SS or FiB is not a bad thing at all..

And imo you can wear full dps gear even in 31/x/x because the numbers you'll dish out are insane on TKT. The thing is though, how experienced the players you are against are. Ideally deep kinetic specs shouldn't get much of their TKT off, cutting down the majority of their burst. With dps-gear you can get an up to 8k hit on TKT. But as I said there is no point if you get interrupted too much.

Well, in the end it really comes down to what the climate on your server is, the one thing that could work on this server would end in a disaster on the other. I get what Eaten said about accuracy but I made the observation that low accuracy doesn't work for me on my server.

Edited by Okema

From your comparison, it kinda sounds like you would recommend Jugg/Guardian over Sin/Shadow for pvp tanking. Am I reading that wrong?

For the most part Juggs will be filling the "Main Tank" position in warzones. That being said correctly geared/specced assassins can do it just fine (or better :D)

Nice guide, well written :D

I personally prefer DPSing in warzones but often have to tank as no other guildies have a tank for pvp. however, I've never bothered getting tank gear so I think with the reduced cost of WH gear recently i'll probs get round to getting some stuff. I also really like your 22/17/2 spec, it isn't one I'd seen or thought of before but seems really good for damage reduction so I shall be trying this out soon!

I was just wondering if you would be able to re-add your link to your armoury? I may just be being think but doesn't appear in your sig any more!

From your comparison, it kinda sounds like you would recommend Jugg/Guardian over Sin/Shadow for pvp tanking. Am I reading that wrong?

Actually, I think 22/17/2 spec from a Shadow is not that much worse than a Guardian tank. Thing is, most people wouldn't agree with you, they are so set in their ways of having Guardians be the only main tanks. Especially being able to use a medpac every 1 minute 30 seconds, that really helps in long battles where a Guardian wouldn't be able to get out of combat to reset his medpac. I will agree that noone beats a Guardian tank in huttball as a ball carrier, however. Guardians can handle the offense in huttball while Shadows handle the defense, and securing middle with resilience. If you check my Records Thread, Rynis and I have proven that Shadows are more than capable of main tanking in PvP.

Nice guide, well written :D

I personally prefer DPSing in warzones but often have to tank as no other guildies have a tank for pvp. however, I've never bothered getting tank gear so I think with the reduced cost of WH gear recently i'll probs get round to getting some stuff. I also really like your 22/17/2 spec, it isn't one I'd seen or thought of before but seems really good for damage reduction so I shall be trying this out soon!

I was just wondering if you would be able to re-add your link to your armoury? I may just be being think but doesn't appear in your sig any more!

Indeed, I had thought of it awhile ago, but I was too afraid to think outside the box to try it or post it(until someone talked to me about a similar spec.) Once the patch comes out the specs for tanking will change once again :p. And yes, I readded the link to my armory in my sig, the forum limitations make it a pain to fit all of these things in my signature, which is why I had removed it. My defense chance says 28.29%, but it is actually 30.29% ingame. Other than that everything is correct.

Edited by NamikazeNaruto

• 2 weeks later...
What about 2 pve armorings for the extra Endurance or would you say Mitigation is better in this case?

I used to go with Endurance/PvE armorings, but with the extra expertise you will be able to be healed for more, take less damage, and do more damage to enemy players. Personally I would go with the Expertise instead of PvE armorings. You can still get 26k-27k hp with Rakata/Exotech Fort Stims and fully min/maxed EWH gear(assuming you have all the endurance datacrons/legacy trooper buff.)

Just wanted to say I've now completed most of my tanking set, tho not min-maxed yet, and have been running around in the 22/17/2 spec for the past few days. Its been great fun! The 25% DR from AOE combined with the 25% DR from blackout are excellent, have managed to survive for ages against large groups of enemies which is seriously satisfying!

The spec is especially effective in Huttball as pretty much no matter what, I can survive all their stuns and burst damage long enough to come out the other side with enough time (plus force speed) to move the ball and get passes off :-)

Thanks again for the advice!

Just wanted to say I've now completed most of my tanking set, tho not min-maxed yet, and have been running around in the 22/17/2 spec for the past few days. Its been great fun! The 25% DR from AOE combined with the 25% DR from blackout are excellent, have managed to survive for ages against large groups of enemies which is seriously satisfying!

The spec is especially effective in Huttball as pretty much no matter what, I can survive all their stuns and burst damage long enough to come out the other side with enough time (plus force speed) to move the ball and get passes off :-)

Thanks again for the advice!

Np I'm glad my guide could help you :). I personally like tanking more than dpsing, because I hate dying :D.

P.S. Two new sections. One section explaining the new ability/talent changes and my opinion on them. Another section explaining the 23/21/2 spec on the PTS added. I urge everyone to check out this spec, it may end up being the new kinetic hybrid staple, it offers a lot.

Edited by NamikazeNaruto

So um... apparently I can't put anymore into my guide without taking something out...Either that or I'll have to add a continuation of my guide on another post somewhere... I got this message when trying to edit my post earlier.

"Your post is 50043 characters long, please shorten it to 50000 characters"

I'm impressed by the 36/3/7 build, however I would replace Applied force with rapid recovery

True, from a pure tanking perspective you are probably correct in this assessment. Also now that I think about it, I'd rather be 37/5/4 as a pure tank because Celerity is definitely more beneficial for tanking. If you desire more dps you can go 36/3/7 of course.

Edited by NamikazeNaruto

True, from a pure tanking perspective you are probably correct in this assessment. Also now that I think about it, I'd rather be 37/5/4 as a pure tank because Celerity is definitely more beneficial for tanking. If you desire more dps you can go 36/3/7 of course.

Even better, but I think you made a slight typo there it should be 36/5/5