SWTOR must be in Portuguese

Machine-Elf

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There hasn't been the slightest hint they have any intention of doing a Spanish translation. And this post is another example of why. Once they do a Spanish translation they will have people whining for a Portuguese translation, and then a Mandarin translation, where would it end. Not gonna happen anytime soon, if ever.

There hasn't been the slightest hint they have any intention of doing a Spanish translation. And this post is another example of why. Once they do a Spanish translation they will have people whining for a Portuguese translation, and then a Mandarin translation, where would it end. Not gonna happen anytime soon, if ever.

It will end once they determine translating the game to a certain language isn't cost-effective. It's all about the size of the market that's associated with each language. Spanish is a no-brainer. Portuguese may be, too.

But I'm pretty sure you won't be seeing a lot of people clamoring for an Afrikaans translation of SWTOR.

I think they should do a Finnish translation for this game. I mean, of course most of the Finnish people who are at least 16 years old can speak more or less english, but all those 10-year-old kids who lied their age now struggle understanding. :( It's so sad!

I mean, if they're doing in Spanish...

Plus, it would make sense to have Republic side characters speak with a Brazilian accent and the old school European Portuguese used for Empire side.

I see what you did there.

EDIT:

Either way, I'm portuguese and I'm fine with the game as it is.

I think they should do a Finnish translation for this game. I mean, of course most of the Finnish people who are at least 16 years old can speak more or less english, but all those 10-year-old kids who lied their age now struggle understanding. :( It's so sad!

Is finnish even in the top 10, when it comes to one of the most talked languages in the world? At least be serious.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

I would argue that translating to Spanish isn't Cost-Effective which is exactly why they haven't done it yet. If you look at the economies of many of the Latin-American countries it would be hard to justify the investment because they probably don't see themselves gaining a significant number of PAID subscribers versus players staying free-2-play. I can't speak for a Portuguese or Finnish translations Cost-Effectiveness because I don't know the state of their respected economy.

I see what you did there.

EDIT:

Either way, I'm portuguese and I'm fine with the game as it is.

I'm Portuguese as well, am also fine with the way it is now, but recognize at the same time that not all of us have the luxury of being proficient in English.

I would argue that translating to Spanish isn't Cost-Effective which is exactly why they haven't done it yet. If you look at the economies of many of the Latin-American countries it would be hard to justify the investment because they probably don't see themselves gaining a significant number of PAID subscribers versus players staying free-2-play. I can't speak for a Portuguese or Finnish translations Cost-Effectiveness because I don't know the state of their respected economy.

There are 40+ million Spanish-speaking people in Spain alone.

Add Mexico, Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguai, Chile and other numerous countries to the mix, and you've got a huge untapped market in your hands.

Same goes for Portuguese-speaking countries.

Edited by Machine-Elf

I'm Portuguese as well, am also fine with the way it is now, but recognize at the same time that not all of us have the luxury of being proficient in English.

Ora boas. ;)

- - - -

Either way, I honestly doubt the payoff would be worth the investment, at least in the short term.

There are 40+ million Spanish-speaking people in Spain alone.

Add Mexico, Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguai, Chile and other numerous countries to the mix, and you've got a huge untapped market in your hands.

Same goes for Portuguese-speaking countries.

Doesn't mean they're desirable markets.

What do you mean by "desirable'?

He means that doesn't mean that they are markets where they see a large number of people paying to play. SWTOR doesn't need more free-2-play players, it needs more paying subscribers and the chances of recovering their investment for a translation for those markets are great enough for them to risk it, basically.

I mean, if they're doing in Spanish...

Plus, it would make sense to have Republic side characters speak with a Brazilian accent and the old school European Portuguese used for Empire side.

Your English abilities seem just fine, from your forum posts.

Is this a faux complaint or a real complaint?

If this were a real complaint.. I would expect it to be written in Portuguese.

Your English abilities seem just fine, from your forum posts.

Is this a faux complaint or a real complaint?

If this were a real complaint.. I would expect it to be written in Portuguese.

Se quiseres que eu escreva em Português, também posso. Mas já que estes foruns são direcionados para um público Inglês, nāo vejo qual seria o interesse...

And it's not a complaint, just something for BioWare to take into account once the game's reach begins to widen to a more...global level.

Edited by Machine-Elf

"Se quiseres que eu escreva em Português, também posso. Mas já que estes foruns são direcionados para um público Inglês, nāo vejo qual seria o interesse..."

You're right, there wouldn't be much of a point because few would understand lol (Thank you Google Translate ;) )

Edited by nshotsman

Se quiseres que eu escreva em Português, também posso. Mas já que estes foruns são direcionados para um público Inglês, nāo vejo qual seria o interesse...

Now your complaint can be taken serisously. :)

And it's not a complaint, just something for BioWare to take into account once the game's reach begins to widen to a more...global level.

Not a complaint? Just something for Bioware to take into account? Then please remove the word "must" from thread title. And, I'm pretty sure Bioware has already taken into account language localizations for the game.

IMO... there is more merit for a game port to iOS then to additional languages.. and they have made it clear that they are not going to port to iOS.

And why not just port directly to the mother tongue which Frensh, Spanish, and Portugese are derived from... ie: Latin? :p

Edited by Andryah

I mean what the definition of the word is in terms of corporate strategy, which if they have their act together follows other goals than just "what's profitable".

EVERY corporate strategy should be based around "what's profitable."

This is RL, folks. not some imaginary fantasy where game companies exist only to satisfy your desire for MOAR CONTENT.

Now your complaint can be taken serisously. :)

Not a complaint? Just something for Bioware to take into account? Then please remove the word "must" from thread title. And, I'm pretty sure Bioware has already taken into account language localizations for the game.

IMO... there is more merit for a game port to iOS then to additional languages.. and they have made it clear that they are not going to port to iOS.

The word "must" infused the thread with a forcefulness I didn't intend to be taken literally, I was only trying to emulate a similar thread asking for Spanish translations. EDIT: this is the thread in question.

Sorry if it came off sounding like a rant.

Edited by Machine-Elf

EVERY corporate strategy should be based around "what's profitable."

This is RL, folks. not some imaginary fantasy where game companies exist only to satisfy your desire for MOAR CONTENT.

You're misunderstanding my post or have no clue what corporate strategy entails.

lol, racism much? They all don't live in barrios and Favelas.

I think you underestimate the number of Spanish/Portuguese speaking players in this game.