It's Really Sad to See TCW Be Cancelled

Talon_strikes

I'm not sure what's wrong with Disney. TCW still has so many other stories to tell. We still need to see the Clovis arc, we need to see what happens to Maul, and most importantly, build on characters such as Ahsoka Tano, Count Dooku, Asajj Ventress, to name a few.

TCW was such a fantastic series and I think it should be kept on-air. What are your thoughts?

Oh, and there's a movement going around called #SaveTheCloneWars. I believe a bit of google searching should send you to the right places. I'm hoping we can get Disney to rethink this. TCW was the reason a lot of people got back into the fandom back during the days the franchise was pretty quiet. I would hate to see "the quiet times" return.

:)

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get what the whole fuss was about.

TCW sounded and looked like a kids cartoon to me.

Indeed. There were a couple of episodes that I thought were kinda cool and watchable for adults due to not being excessively childish, but most were just meant for kids age 5-10. Hopefully we'll get a proper television series set in the SW universe some time in the future like the various Star Trek series.

"The Outer Rim... the Final Conquest. These are the voyages of the ISD Iron Fist. Its continuing mission: to subjugate the planets of the outer rim in the Emperor's name, to enslave its aliens and strip their worlds of their resources, to boldly crush any and all opposition to Imperial dominance."

Edited by LordExozone

I don't get what the whole fuss was about.

TCW sounded and looked like a kids cartoon to me.

It's aim was for a younger demographic, but I know many young adults and teens who really enjoyed the series and don't want to see it go. Although it is EU, I believe it's the best EU out there (tying with SWTOR). I really enjoyed Ahsoka so I'd like to see her story to keep on going until it stops near Ep. III. :)

TCW is a great series, and I'm starting to realise that this 'bonus content' is unlikely to manifest itself in the form of Season 6. However given the fact it has basically been announced I doubt it will be scrapped altogether, I doubt we've seen the last of the series - you may be pleasantly surprised.

However its obvious its not going to go on nearly as long as I thought it would. I only hope Disney know what there doing and are merely postponing such projects as The Clone Wars, 1313, First Assault, Detours etc. until after the sequel trilogy. I hope that TCW returns.

what a hell what i miss? didnt they already said they were keep doing episodes and content? just under a new set up, and probably new name and not on the cartoon network channel? most likely on disney channel, or they just release directly to the audience blu ray etc.

Or that clip with anakin and the cyborg admiral trench when that clone ( fives i think) kill that jedi sister just for show? and to never been released?

i doubt it.

Edited by Spartanik

what a hell what i miss? didnt they already said they were keep doing episodes and content? just under a new set up, and probably new name and not on the cartoon network channel? most likely on disney channel, or they just release directly to the audience blu ray etc.

Or that clip with anakin and the cyborg admiral trench when that clone ( fives i think) kill that jedi sister just for show? and to never been released?

i doubt it.

Actually I found one article that claimed that the TCW bonus content will absolutely be aired. But what I'm questioning is how much this 'bonus content' will consist of and whether it will continue and complete the stories of Asajj Ventress, Ashoka Tano etc. I'm starting to doubt that they will.

Basically TCW has at least two seasons left in it, and by the looks of it Disney are cutting that short and have no intention of picking it up again. If this is the case it will be a real shame.

Then you missed a few memorables action scenes & lightsaber fights?

Kids stuff can still have action and lightsaber fights. I have plenty of younger cousins who are the target audience and absolutely love to fight with lightsabers. The overall tone and intensity of the show is essentially aimed at children without being overly childish. It's watchable for adults, but it's not that big of a deal its getting cut a little short.

Edit: Actually, most of the lightsaber duels in that show are quite aggravating because the outcomes are always indeterminate due to the writers not being able to kill any "main" characters.

Edited by Ventessel

Kids stuff can still have action and lightsaber fights. I have plenty of younger cousins who are the target audience and absolutely love to fight with lightsabers. The overall tone and intensity of the show is essentially aimed at children without being overly childish. It's watchable for adults, but it's not that big of a deal its getting cut a little short.

Edit: Actually, most of the lightsaber duels in that show are quite aggravating because the outcomes are always indeterminate due to the writers not being able to kill any "main" characters.

You seem to be making the assumption here that just because its aimed at kids means its poor quality, which is not the case. The visuals in TCW are incredible and have just kept getting better, the lightsaber duels and action sequences are better than anything we've seen in the prequels, the voice acting is incredible, the animation is fantastic, and the musical score is impressive and emotive. Many arcs in this season have been very well written and I don't know a single person who didn't get emotional over the final episode.

Seriously, the quality of this show is absolutely excellent. And despite the kiddie themes, various cliches and cheesy lines, its still up there with the best the franchise has delivered. This is why so many are so sad to see it go.

I also get the feeling that a lot of people who are making these comments haven't actually seen the series and witnessed its rapid improvement, which seems rather perverse to me. If you really want to be in a position to judge this series then at least watch The Lawless, the Jedi Who Knew Too Much and The Wrong Jedi, and then come back to me.

Seriously, the quality of this show is absolutely excellent. And despite the kiddie themes, various cliches and cheesy lines, its still up there with the best the franchise has delivered. This is why so many are so sad to see it go.

That's essentially what I said.

"The overall tone and intensity of the show is essentially aimed at children without being overly childish. It's watchable for adults, but it's not that big of a deal its getting cut a little short." (Quoting myself... weird.)

LucasFilm is recalibrating to produce Episode VII, and I'd rather see them focus on that and not split their attention. TCW was a passable stand in while George Lucas had no intention of producing further films, but not that the playing field has changed, I'll trade TCW for a new movie in a heartbeat.

I also get the feeling that a lot of people who are making these comments haven't actually seen the series and witnessed its rapid improvement, which seems rather perverse to me. If you really want to be in a position to judge this series then at least watch The Lawless, the Jedi Who Knew Too Much and The Wrong Jedi, and then come back to me.

I've seen most of seasons Two and Five, and watched parts of Season One back when it was on TV. I'll agree that Season Five was able to get me interested once I got over my initial reaction to Maul being alive (which was somewhere between righteous anger for Qui-Gon and bland acceptance of the inevitable).

Actually I found one article that claimed that the TCW bonus content will absolutely be aired. But what I'm questioning is how much this 'bonus content' will consist of and whether it will continue and complete the stories of Asajj Ventress, Ashoka Tano etc. I'm starting to doubt that they will.

Basically TCW has at least two seasons left in it, and by the looks of it Disney are cutting that short and have no intention of picking it up again. If this is the case it will be a real shame.

I'm hearing from many reliable sources that this "bonus content" will only be 2 arcs. Pretty sad. It seems like Disney is out to destroy a lot of Star Wars. :(

They are making season 6 and 7 before the show ends, is that correct?

No, although you can expect to see some of the content and story for season six released in an alternative format. Probably as online specials, or maybe on one of Disney's networks as special features.

Here's the thing.

The clone wars has only a finite amount of time. Eventually war has to come to an end and ROTS must be told.

Only so much you can pack in to a series with a timeframe like TCW.

Plus IMO they have done some just HORRID story choices that just ran roughshod over some of the books already published, and the whole Peaceful Mando crap, just gave Mandos EVERYWHERE a bad name, Death Watch or not.

And again, ran roughshod over the Clone Commando books, which IMO yes it might be KT which many hate, but it was some of the best commando style writing I've seen.

Plus it shows guys like Kal Skirrata, yes Mando, and yes will kill you in a heartbeat, but it shows them tough, but honorable, or like Waylon Vau. Love Vau. But it doesn't put them in either You are Death watch, or a *****.

Mentioned ONCE in TCW or was Delta squad which the whole damn game Clone Commandos and the books were based on?

No.

FU TCW. Die in peace and never return.

That's essentially what I said.
Not really, you seem to be disregarding the entire series just because of some kiddie-themes which in several of the latest arcs are really non-existent. But seriously, if you haven't watched the episodes I suggested then you haven't experienced the best of the series. It really is on par with the movies.

Now I'm not saying it should continue at the expense of the new movies and I'm not very resentful for them making this decision. I'm merely trying to explain to you why people like me will be sad to see it end, because it was such a good series, it really was. I was hoping they'd pick it up again after the movies have been released, but this is unlikely.

So hopefully they'll translate some of the excellent quality of this series into the new movies, especially in terms of combat scenes which really were quite fantastic.

P.S. TalonVII if your really that passionate about the EU then I'd mentally prepare yourself for the coming sequels which will likely make the minor retcons in TCW look menial. Seriously people are going to realise what real retconning looks like. Its going to be fun. :jawa_evil:

Not really, you seem to be disregarding the entire series just because of some kiddie-themes which in several of the latest arcs are really non-existent. But seriously, if you haven't watched the episodes I suggested then you haven't experienced the best of the series. It really is on par with the movies.

Allow me to be clear, I'm not disregarding the series, merely raising my objections to certain aspects of it.

It is primarily a children's show, but there's nothing wrong with that. As I said, it's not overly childish. It manages to walk the line that allows it to appeal to adults while also serving its purpose of entertaining children. It has also matured along with its audience. The first few seasons of the show (One and Two, since those are the ones I watched) were extremely different from what I returned to find in Season Five. That makes sense, however, since the eight and twelve year old cousins I initially watched TCW with have now grown to be teenagers, so you can expect the show's themes to mature slightly.

The Emperor's smackdown and torture of Savage and Maul is a rather mature moment for the series, but these developments are rather recent in the series. The bulk of TCW's plotlnes and story arcs (for the first 4.5 seasons, really) have been rather lighthearted and aimed at entertaining younger audiences.

I have nothing against TCW just because it aimed at children. It did a good job of being a show that adult fans of Star Wars can appreciate, much the way Toy Story 3 was a great film that targeted children but also reached many adult viewers. That's one of the reasons I'm so eager to see Episode VII is because I think Michael Arndt is a perfect pick to write the screenplay for it. The villain in TS3 was actually a far more disturbing and evil character than most Star Wars villains that are out there, so my expectations are quite high.

So hopefully they'll translate some of the excellent quality of this series into the new movies, especially in terms of combat scenes which really were quite fantastic.

I'm not really with you there, the thing about TCW that bothered me the most was the combat. The movements of characters felt exaggerated and sloppy, especially the lightsaber duels. I would much rather see a mix between the lightsaber combat of the prequels and the originals (mainly the final duel between Luke and Vader, the best in the series in my opinion).

Allow me to be clear, I'm not disregarding the series, merely raising my objections to certain aspects of it.

It is primarily a children's show, but there's nothing wrong with that. As I said, it's not overly childish. It manages to walk the line that allows it to appeal to adults while also serving its purpose of entertaining children. It has also matured along with its audience. The first few seasons of the show (One and Two, since those are the ones I watched) were extremely different from what I returned to find in Season Five. That makes sense, however, since the eight and twelve year old cousins I initially watched TCW with have now grown to be teenagers, so you can expect the show's themes to mature slightly.

The Emperor's smackdown and torture of Savage and Maul is a rather mature moment for the series, but these developments are rather recent in the series. The bulk of TCW's plotlnes and story arcs (for the first 4.5 seasons, really) have been rather lighthearted and aimed at entertaining younger audiences.

I have nothing against TCW just because it aimed at children. It did a good job of being a show that adult fans of Star Wars can appreciate, much the way Toy Story 3 was a great film that targeted children but also reached many adult viewers. That's one of the reasons I'm so eager to see Episode VII is because I think Michael Arndt is a perfect pick to write the screenplay for it. The villain in TS3 was actually a far more disturbing and evil character than most Star Wars villains that are out there, so my expectations are quite high.

That's just what I'm getting out, TCW appealed to both audiences pretty well just like Toy Story does (which I was just about to bring up). Yes we have to weigh up the negatives and the positives but I really think the positives vastly outweigh the negatives. What gets me the most is they are so close to perfecting it, the series has become a lot more mature and 'the Emperor's smackdown' is far from the most mature moment in the series e.g. Adi Gallia's and Pre Vizla's rather gruesome deaths, Satine's impalement and that nasty blow Ventress received to the head - that even made me flinch!

And again, I see Disney's reasoning here, but its just a real shame to see a great series like this go. It really is one of the best things that has happened to the franchise for a long time. But hey, we shall see what the sequels bring, which I have high hopes for. And hopefully see some more animated and possible live action series in the future.

I'm not really with you there, the thing about TCW that bothered me the most was the combat. The movements of characters felt exaggerated and sloppy, especially the lightsaber duels. I would much rather see a mix between the lightsaber combat of the prequels and the originals (mainly the final duel between Luke and Vader, the best in the series in my opinion).
Really, you think? Admittedly the lightsaber combat in the first couple of series was nothing special, but I felt it rapidly improved in later seasons, especially season six. Sloppy and exaggerated was the last thing that came to mind, perhaps overly flashy. However I'd still rank them higher than the prequels and originals. The prequels were just too flashy and the originals not enough. The problem with the originals if that they lacked fluidity and at times felt a little clunky and not what you would expect from Force powered saber masters. However what they did excel in was provoking an emotional response from the viewer. Still I feel the final duels in TCW have drawn closer to that equilibrium.

[/color]That's just what I'm getting out, TCW appealed to both audiences pretty well just like Toy Story does (which I was just about to bring up). Yes we have to weigh up the negatives and the positives but I really think the positives vastly outweigh the negatives. What gets me the most is they are so close to perfecting it, the series has become a lot more mature and 'the Emperor's smackdown' is far from the most mature moment in the series e.g. Adi Gallia's and Pre Vizla's rather gruesome deaths, Satine's impalement and that nasty blow Ventress received to the head - that even made me flinch!

When I say mature, I don't mean violent. I mean that the implications of the Emperor capturing and torturing Maul and saying "I still have plans for you" is far more sinister and dark than anything we've seen to date in that series. In my opinion, mature themes are the ones which carry more complex emotional overtones, not simply gory or violent ones.

Although, I much prefer the style of "violence" we see in Star Wars over more realistic attempts to portray violence. Films like Black Hawk Down hit a tad too close to home for the violence to prove entertaining, whereas in the fantasy/sci-fi realms you can appreciate the pace and tension of the action and the excitement that follows.

Really, you think? Admittedly the lightsaber combat in the first couple of series was nothing special, but I felt it rapidly improved in later seasons, especially season six. Sloppy and exaggerated was the last thing that came to mind, perhaps overly flashy. However I'd still rank them higher than the prequels and originals. The prequels were just too flashy and the originals not enough. The problem with the originals if that they lacked fluidity and at times felt a little clunky and not what you would expect from Force powered saber masters. However what they did excel in was provoking an emotional response from the viewer. Still I feel the final duels in TCW have drawn closer to that equilibrium.

The originals did have that technical shortcoming, but by the final duel in RotJ they were able to convey the intensity you would expect between two powerful Force users.

I haven't seen much combat from season six, unless Sidious' attack on Maul happened in that season, in which case seasons five and six are blurred in my recollection. The problem I have with them is that the tactical decisions of the characters, the choreography, and the actual strikes made are embellished and don't convey the sense of swordsmanship that the prequels had.

While the prequels often felt a little flashy, that was somewhat intentional, I believe. An attempt to convey the "more elegant weapon from a more civilized time" feeling that the Golden Age of the Jedi brought about. They were polished, finessed, and almost a little showman-like in much of their fighting, but it was deliberate and set the tone for the era.

The actual physicality of the duels in the prequels was great, but they lacked any emotional impact, which was the real shortcoming of the duels. The only emotional moment was Obi-Wan flipping out after Qui-Gon's death, although I would have liked to see him bruise Maul a bit, maybe get some less fluid strikes in there and convey more aggression.

EDIT: Actually, speaking of duels and such, I wrote a brief fight into the second chapter of a fanfic I recently decided to write. It's hand to hand, though. I'm saving the lightsabers for truly epic moments with appropriate buildup to them.

Edited by Ventessel

Here's the thing.

Plus IMO they have done some just HORRID story choices that just ran roughshod over some of the books already published, and the whole Peaceful Mando crap, just gave Mandos EVERYWHERE a bad name, Death Watch or not.

Oh please. As if Karen Traviss hadn't already run roughshod over the entire lore of Star Wars, established characters, and her fellow writers in the legacy series. Her so called "work" being heavily edited/retconned is the LEAST she deserves. Moreover, the Clone Wars only presented solid themes which had already been established. The Mandalorians are warmongering thugs, the Death Watch didn't change that. The fact their civilization has changed enough to sustain a new regime like the Duchess Satine's provided some much needed variety to the Mandalorians and their history.

Back to the topic at hand, I too am sorry to see the Clone Wars go. It was a really splendid addition to the canon, and it was great to see so many familiar faces not to mention new ones like Cad Bane. Honestly by cancelling so many current Star Wars projects like the Clone Wars, and Star Wars 1313 it seems as if Disney is trying to wash their hands of the old saga entirely. Maybe they think it'll help sell their reboot of the franchise, can't say I understand the logic they're using to be honest. You'd think any quality Star Wars production would only be a good thing, to help keep the fans/audience energized before the release of the trilogy.

Edited by MasterOak

Oh please. As if Karen Traviss hadn't already run roughshod over the entire lore of Star Wars, established characters, and her fellow writers in the legacy series. Her so called "work" being heavily edited/retconned is the LEAST she deserves. Moreover, the Clone Wars only presented solid themes which had already been established. The Mandalorians are warmongering thugs, the Death Watch didn't change that. The fact their civilization has changed enough to sustain a new regime like the Duchess Satine's provided some much needed variety to the Mandalorians and their history.

Back to the topic at hand, I too am sorry to see the Clone Wars go. It was a really splendid addition to the canon, and it was great to see so many familiar faces not to mention new ones like Cad Bane. Honestly by cancelling so many current Star Wars projects like the Clone Wars, and Star Wars 1313 it seems as if Disney is trying to wash their hands of the old saga entirely. Maybe they think it'll help sell their reboot of the franchise, can't say I understand the logic they're using to be honest. You'd think any quality Star Wars production would only be a good thing, to help keep the fans/audience energized before the release of the trilogy.

Ok where ONCE did i mention the Legacy series. Yes there she screwed the pooch, but so did all the writers and editors IMO.

I was merely concerning myself with THE CLONE COMMANDO SERIES. Try re-reading and using reading comprehension before venting your spleen.

Because what I said IS ON TOPIC. TCW cartoon ran roughshed over a multitide of books. The clone commando books, Medstar dualogy, Dark rendevous.

Come on, so many books that just got kicked to the side.

Try reading what i said instead on fixating on KT.

Ok where ONCE did i mention the Legacy series. Yes there she screwed the pooch, but so did all the writers and editors IMO.

I was merely concerning myself with THE CLONE COMMANDO SERIES. Try re-reading and using reading comprehension before venting your spleen.

Because what I said IS ON TOPIC. TCW cartoon ran roughshed over a multitide of books. The clone commando books, Medstar dualogy, Dark rendevous.

Come on, so many books that just got kicked to the side.

Try reading what i said instead on fixating on KT.

Seriously, retconning - it happens and sometimes it sucks (though rarely) but we have to accept it. I mean realistically anyone who gets the oppurtunity to contribute to the Star Wars Expanded Universe should consider it nothing else than an honor, I mean, to have your own ideas solidified in canon? What greater honor could a Star Wars fan receive? They certainly shouldn't consider it, and neither should the readers, their right, for essentially the story of Star Wars is not their own. They, like we, are an audience, interpreters of Lucas' great vision!

No, but really, this is the nature of the franchise - it evolves, it changes, some things get left behind others are carried forward. Instead be grateful that the concept 'Mandalorian' was ever accepted and expanded upon, and was made a major concept in the series. Like many other EU concepts across the franchise. And be grateful that people are still willing and able to contribute and expand Star Wars lore - rather than writing them off and 'kicking them aside' because they makes minor changes, which, let's face it, are improvements.

P.S. Try and learn to read yourself. If you did you'll notice MasterOak was responding to your comment that the New Mandalorian concept was a bad one, and gave Mando's a bad name. And I totally concur with him, the concept gave much needed variety to the Mandalorian culture which seemed relatively the same across the board. War-mongering warriors killing Jedi, allying with Sith and pillaging peoples, gets old after a while.

EDIT: Have you even watched all the Mandalorian arcs? And I don't just mean those in Season 2, but 'A Friend in Need' and the fanatastic Maul arc in Season 5. If not then you've missed a whole range of concepts and themes, and you'll find your interpretation of the New Mando concept is entirely misguided.

Edited by Beniboybling

Seriously, retconning - it happens and sometimes it sucks (though rarely) but we have to accept it. I mean realistically anyone who gets the oppurtunity to contribute to the Star Wars Expanded Universe should consider it nothing else than an honor, I mean, to have your own ideas solidified in canon? What greater honor could a Star Wars fan receive? They certainly shouldn't consider it, and neither should the readers, their right, for essentially the story of Star Wars is not their own. They, like we, are an audience, interpreters of Lucas' great vision!

No, but really, this is the nature of the franchise - it evolves, it changes, some things get left behind others are carried forward. Instead be grateful that the concept 'Mandalorian' was ever accepted and expanded upon, and was made a major concept in the series. Like many other EU concepts across the franchise. And be grateful that people are still willing and able to contribute and expand Star Wars lore - rather than writing them off and 'kicking them aside' because they makes minor changes, which, let's face it, are improvements.

P.S. Try and learn to read yourself. If you did you'll notice MasterOak was responding to your comment that the New Mandalorian concept was a bad one, and gave Mando's a bad name. And I totally concur with him, the concept gave much needed variety to the Mandalorian culture which seemed relatively the same across the board. War-mongering warriors killing Jedi, allying with Sith and pillaging peoples, gets old after a while.

EDIT: Have you even watched all the Mandalorian arcs? And I don't just mean those in Season 2, but 'A Friend in Need' and the fanatastic Maul arc in Season 5. If not then you've missed a whole range of concepts and themes, and you'll find your interpretation of the New Mando concept is entirely misguided.

Point is this. They could of gone more of Skirrata like Mandos instead of what i consider just an affront to Mando Culture.

Jesus seeing something like that name a Mandalore that would not be rolling in his grave. It took the who set up for those who trained the clones and just took a huge dump IMO. I refuse to watch TCW for the simple fact it's not just retconning.

It just dumps on the SW universe. I mean seriously, bringing back MAUL? Guy is cut in half and they bring him back? Sorry and having him basically take out Mandalore and put death watch under his control, yeah...no. Just no.

Some of their decisions I flatly do not agree with. And having a DUCHESS to lead them, that's a pacifist? Goes against the whole damn CULTURE. KT be damned!

Again, i'd rather of them taken the angle of Mando vs Mando, not these prissy boys who call themselves mandos. Sorry I just do not agree with TCW. And I never will.

And be grateful that people are still willing and able to contribute and expand Star Wars lore - rather than writing them off and 'kicking them aside' because they makes minor changes, which, let's face it, are improvements.

Star Wars is one of those great collaborative efforts that seems to take the best of everything it's offered and trim the fat every so often. Keeping things fresh with new content, but also occasionally cleaning up the lore and canon to keep everything coherent and of high quality.

The Mandalorians seen in TCW are a vast improvement over Travesty's work with them. They were great in KotOR as the conquering clans, but like any culture, it only makes sense for them to undergo some kind of change in response to the currents of history. For them to remain static is just boring and repetitive.