BC's RP-Systems At-Work. Ours! Yours? (pics)

Ahl-Vinn

Have recently become curious about the RP and RP-traditions of the other guilds of Server Begeren Colony, so yours truly thought it would be neat to share JEDl's RP-system of internal guild-rank advancement requirments in order to get such a thread started. For the TL;DR version with pretty pictures, here, must you click!

In initially joining the JEDl Order, an Aspirant is accepted into the guild and becomes a Jedi Initiate. From here, JEDl has Padawan, Knight, and finally Master Trials. Here in this thread, I will share the Padawan and Knight Trials, since the Master Trials are really only relevant to other JEDl-community members.

PADAWAN TRIALS

The Trials of the Padawan, for millennia, were based on The Jedi Code;

There is no emotion, there is Peace.

There is no ignorance, there is Knowledge.

There is no passion, there is Serenity.

There is no chaos, there is Harmony.

There is no death, there is the Force.

Trial of Peace: Where there is Emotion and conflict, a Jedi can bring Peace

=Defeat Vokk (The Esseles), and Defeat SD-0 (Coruscant World Boss).

Trial of Knowledge: Where there is Ignorance, a Jedi can bring Knowledge.

=Attend ONE of the following classes: RP 101, PvE 101, PvP 101.

Trial of Serenity: Frustration, anger and temptation can fuel Passion.... However, a Jedi can bring Serenity.

=Acquire the minimum level of 100 in your choice of any 3 Crew Skills: Crew Skills being any combination of Gathering, Crafting, or Mission skills.

Example 1: 100 in Bio-analysis, 100 in Biochem, 100 in Diplomacy

Example 2: 100 in Archaeology, 100 in Scavenging, in Bio-analysis

Trial of Harmony: In the Chaos of battle, a Jedi can bring Harmony….

=Seek out a member in the guild who is Guild Ranked as a Jedi Knight or Jedi Master to become your mentor or "Sanctioned Master" in a Master/Apprentice Relationship.

=Reach Valor Rank 20 and obtain the Duelist title.

* or*

=Complete an RP-task from your new "Sanctioned Master".

Trial of the Force: Learning that Death is not to be feared and is a natural part of life, a Jedi can bring the Force to those in need….

=Present your knowledge of combat by dueling a PvP Master.

KNIGHT TRIALS

Trial of Skill: Jedi are not just masters of battle, but also hold many diverse skills….

=Attend ONE Advanced class type, either PvE, PvP, or RP.

=Acquire Level 300 in all three skill crew areas.

Trial of Courage: Even a Jedi needs to summon Courage to face the challenges that will certainly present themselves….

=Have completed every non-heroic flashpoint up to level 40.

=Have defeated all major planetary world bosses up to level 40.

BOSS: Subject Alpha

LEVEL: 21

BOSS: Trapjaw

LEVEL: 30

BOSS: Battledroid R4-GL

LEVEL: 32

BOSS: Ulgo Siegebreaker

LEVEL: 35

BOSS: Rogue Cartel Warbot

LEVEL: 38

Trial of the Spirit: Padawan have to look deep within their souls, on a quest of self-discovery.

=Complete Act 2 of your story.

=Assemble one relic from acquired matrix shards at the Jedi Temple on Coruscant.

Trial of the Flesh: All the Lightsaber trainings offered at the Temple cannot compare to the training received in battle….

=Reach Valor Rank 30.

*or*

=Recruit at least 2 new member to the guild, and complete an RP task for a Master.

Trial of Insight: A Jedi Knight learns that he is not responsible for his training alone, but for passing along that training and mentoring others….

=Interview with your school's Council and present your Trials.

=Speak the Jedi Code at a Knighting ceremony as your final act to become a Jedi Knight.

After becoming a Jedi Knight, one becomes a "sanctioned master", meaning that one is now free to take 1 Padawan or Initiate to become one's own Padawan.

Eagerly waiting to see what RP-systems the other guilds of the server are employing; please do share!

I find in running successful guilds, using in-game events only to decide guild advancement does not work well, as game ability does not equal social ability.

I look at each person individually, how they interact with others, how they work in groups, how they behave in chat, how often they respond to calls for help, answer questions in guild chat, etc.

In the Star Wars comics, there were those who became Jedi Masters without having any great combat ability, such as Master Ood. I tend to think the Jedi Order would work this way, as combat and ability were not the focus of their training, rather, their focus was a relationship with the Force, and learning of its mysteries. Jedi learned combat for self-defense and the defense of those who cannot defend themselves. While Jedi are supposed to be good at combat, it is not their focus.

Who you are, as a person, determines rank within our guilds. Those who harbour selfishness, greed, or malice towards others always reveal themselves after a time, those who do not make good guild members, let alone good officers, do not rank in our guild, and end up leaving on their own or are booted from the guild.

Quality before quantity. If you truly have the heart of a Jedi (or Sith, as the case may be ;) ), you will go far in our guilds. :w_smile:

I have to agree with CaptRavenous. My guild uses RPing to determine advances. Using a system of "defeat X and collect Y" doesn't really breed good RPers. Quite often with goals like that you get players of the "IM A JeDL M45T3R!!"

A development of a character and the role they play in the community and what they show to members outside of your guild is most important. Just because you hit level 50 doesn't mean the community would see you as a Jedi master. One needs to take their time and demonstrate their RP to the community. We have had numerous people both Jedi and Sith hit level 50 and automatically assume that they are super gods. And all of those people I've seen leave the game because people really did not respect them. Because those players did not take the time to earn the respect of the community.

Honestly, it's a sad thing. Just because you can kill stuff in PVP, kill enemies in PVE, craft stuff, and other game mechanics, does not mean you've earned the respect RP-wise to be something of some level. The players that took their time, build up their stories, and worked with the server community are really the ones that get their RP respected and EARN the titles of Knight, Lord, Master, and Darth.

I don't have any particular systems, and only one other member of Faceroll is at all interested in roleplay but we do have a few ground rules.

1. Violent player vs player conflict has to be resolved via the duel mechanic. No godmodding, no special snowflake powers, what your character is capable of and you're capable of making them do is what you can do if you rp with either of us, we'll happily ignore you and not involve you in any of our rp otherwise.

2. Minimize or remove references to your companions and the events of the in game story. I don't rp with three emperors wraths at the same time.

3. (Most)Titles matter. If you're The Republics Most Wanted, I'm going to assume I've seen your face on the holonet. Rank based titles will lead me to assume you're wearing your pips or some other indication as to what your rank is. More obscure things will probably be ignored. (*** is a skip tracer anyway?)