Sentinel Benefits

TepeshV

Hello folks. I have a few questions. I am an average player and didn't go into game any deeper then just play and gear up. But what i would like to know is for example? I have Sentinel 50lv, and if i compare it to let's say commando he has many downside from him. Commando deals the same amount of damage, have heavy armor (that gives him more damage reduction), have much more stronger aoe attacks, have push and have cc. And yes he can also heal. I am not sure but as far as i see Sentinel is the only class that has no cc (except for droids), why is that?. So i wonder is there any good sides for Sentinel.

Hello folks. I have a few questions. I am an average player and didn't go into game any deeper then just play and gear up. But what i would like to know is for example? I have Sentinel 50lv, and if i compare it to let's say commando he has many downside from him. Commando deals the same amount of damage, have heavy armor (that gives him more damage reduction), have much more stronger aoe attacks, have push and have cc. And yes he can also heal. I am not sure but as far as i see Sentinel is the only class that has no cc (except for droids), why is that?. So i wonder is there any good sides for Sentinel.

A few points:

- Commandos usually cannot do the same amount of damage as a Sentinel (but they do have good aoe). They certainly aren't "gimped" in terms of damage, though.

- Commandos do have heavy armor, but Sentinels' defensive cooldowns are definitely better.

- Gunslingers also have a droid only cc, while Scoundrels and Shadows only have non-droid, stealth (ie pre-combat) cc. Guardians and Vanguards do not have any cc abilities.

Sentinel brings self-heals and group heals to a FP if they are specced into the right tree.

Sentinel damage is one of the best in the game if not the best. Some may say DPS specced Vangaurd holds that distinction but its all in the hands of the player.

Best cool downs in the game. Shadow would probably be the other but I think most would take a Sentinel over a DPS Shadow. (I love my DPS Shadow but there is no denying Sentinel DPS)

All in all, in the right hands Sentinel is a beast!!

Strange till now all i heard for sentinels that they are easy to play and and not too powerul. Everybody says that all classes gives almoust same amount of dps that there is no big difference there. Many people says that sage can be as good for dps as sentinel. So that way i was wondering how so if sage is healer and dps and sent is just dps. BTW what tree gives healing powers to sentinel cause i didn't see that it is written anywhere?

Watchman has the self heals. When its burns crit they give a 1% heal. Also you can pop Zen and give it to your four man group. As for the difference, its suppose to be a marginal 5% difference. Which at times can be a huge difference.

Strange till now all i heard for sentinels that they are easy to play and and not too powerul. Everybody says that all classes gives almoust same amount of dps that there is no big difference there. Many people says that sage can be as good for dps as sentinel. So that way i was wondering how so if sage is healer and dps and sent is just dps. BTW what tree gives healing powers to sentinel cause i didn't see that it is written anywhere?

Dispite what people say - Sentinals and Gunslingers are top DPS you can read about it here http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=534251

There are so many mis perceptions its not funny. Sages DPS is utter crap.

Sentinals cools downs are not that great - they do get inspiration, but survivability wise they dont come close to Vigilance guardians.

Dont worry about it much 2.0 will be here soon that will completely change the game and no doubt a completely new set of misperceptions will arrise.

Edited by Mattmonkey

My main is a Watchman Sentinel, but I also have a Gunnery Commando (my little boy's trooper). I enjoy playing them both, but some differences do stand out.

Rotation - Each of these DPS classes has the edge on the other from a particular perspective. Watchman gives you soooo many tools to work with, depending on the situation. If you can handle the complexity factor, it's pretty sweet. That said, it's much trickier to get cooldowns and focus generation to match up into a seemless flow of constant dps. Keeping your stacks of Merciless up can be tricky. Of course, you're typically in the thick of it, screaming through mobs and/or burning down a boss, so there are other things besides CDs and resource concerns to make things a bit messy. (I know less about Combat, which I hear is also great in PvE with more burst-i-ness and less utility/survivability than Watchman. Focus, as I understand it, is PvP.) With Gunnery, I find my cooldowns flow pretty smoothly into a much simpler rotation (Sticky, Grav, Grav, Grav, HiB, Full Auto/CoFire, Demo, Charged B, re-apply Grav, HiB, FAuto/CoF, Demo...). Some people gripe about it being too simple, but I find it to be a nice change from the other extreme.

Interupts - Sentinels, and Watchman in particular, are the kings of interrupts, which is incredibly handy an a whole range of you more sticky situations. You've got Force Leap (0m range, 12s, if spec'd for it), Force Kick every 6s. On many targets (but not Bosses) you also have Stasis (ties them up with damage for 3s) and Pacify (doesn't interupt, but ensures they missfire). My Commando has Disabling Shot (12s cd) at range, Cryo-Grenade (10m, 4s stun, 60s cd) plus Stock Strike (if spec'd for it, 9s cd) and in most cases Concussive Charge (25s spec'd) for up-close targets. So

CCs - Sentinels can only CC droids, but there's no cooldown on that, which is handy if someone breaks your CC. I can't tell you how many times we've had several large droids to burn down, someone pops my CC, so I take a second to reapply it to another big droid not taking damage. Troopers can CC anything, which is certainly handy, but it has a pretty long cooldown. If someone pops it, you're pretty much done for that fight.

Defensives - My Commando has one active (Reactive Shield) and one passive (Charged Barrier) defense, vs. Sentinel which has 3: Rebuke, Saber Ward and Guarded by the Force. My commando's RS is 25% off all dam, lasts a static 12s and has a cooldown of 120s. His CB is up any time I'm laying down Grav Rounds and Charged Bolts, and lasts for 15s, but only amounts to 1% per stack up to 5 stacks. Rebuke, has only a 60s CD and can last as long as 30s (if you're taking damage), so I'm using that all the time. With 1pt in Jedi Crusader (leveling) it even generates focus. Saber Ward, is 50% off melee/ranged an 25% off force/tech, lasts 12s. That's sweet, but it has a loooong 180s CD. GbtF is one I don't use that often, but if you need 100% immunity to all damage for 4s (costing you 50% of current health) to burn that boss' last bits of health, then it's incredibly sweet. Just keep a health pack handy if you don't have a healer nearby. On th ewhole, Sentinel definitely has the edge here.

AOE damage - Commando has a number of potent options. Sentinel almost none (just force sweep and cyclone slash).

Heals - Commando has 1 self heal, 2 single target heals, a cleanse, and a field revive even on DPS specs. Sentinel has passive heals to self from burn criticals, which also heal the group when Zen is up.

Group Buffs - Sentinel brings Inspiration (+15% raid-wide damage for 15s, 4m cd) and Transcendence (raid-wide super speed and defense buff), which can be extremely helpful (or essential) in HM FPs and Ops.

Both are well worth leveling and end-game play.

- Gunslingers also have a droid only cc, while Scoundrels and Shadows only have non-droid, stealth (ie pre-combat) cc. Guardians and Vanguards do not have any cc abilities.

Scoundrels actually have the same in-combat droid CC that Gunslingers have access to. It's a Smuggler ability, not a Gunslinger specific ability.

most people think sentinals are the best DPS class in the game. So its kinda refreshing to hear a player of a sentinal complaining.

sentinels are the best damage in the game if a sentinel is losing to a commando it means the person playing the sentinel is terribly bad.

I play a combat spec sentinel and I think it is a powerful dps class. The group buffs of inspiration and transcendence are helpful in a group. I can also cc very effectively with force sweep and cyclone slash and I am able to hold droids. I in warzones I never do less that 200K damage and i never had any problems beating a commando to a pulp. It is all about the rotation and knowing the class. Edited by skincarver