FTP is Too "Free". Please adjust model.

Klarick

I could care less about the F2P. It doesn't affect me because I sub, (other than the game has more people playing which is a good thing I think).

That being said, I ask the following questions:

1. For the F2P people complaining about the restrictions: would you have complained about something else if they gave you 3 or 4 quickbars or whatever else anyway? (be honest)

2. For the so called "returning player" contingent: What would you have done with the game if they hadn't done the F2P (regardless of what you think about the model) -- leave it on your shelf to collect dust? At least you can play it now.

3. For the subbing elites: Why would more people playing the game and making it more profitable be a bad thing?

4. Finally, for all those using other games' models as proof for a SWTOR failure: I strongly urge you to go to one of these other games' forums and look at the vast amount of complainers griping about the model you proclaim.

In conclusion SWTOR is a game and should be fun, not a point of stress in our lives.

Just my $0.02, and I am just as guilty for participating in this shouting match.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, this is a refreshing change from the barrage of "FTP is too restrictive, please adjust" posts.

The only people complaining about restrictions are people that played the game previously as a sub. I have two friends that played the game this weekend for the first time, true F2Pers, and they were blown away by how awesome the game was and how much stuff they can do for free.

They didn't care about extra quickbars, no sprint, WZ limits or any of that other junk former subs QQ about. They had never played the game before and thought the free option was awesome. Pretty sure they haven't slept for 3-4 days and just keep rocking along. lol

Personally I think the F2P allowances are pretty fair. What probably needs to be upped a bit imho are the Preferred Status perks. Not a ton, but perhaps 4 quickbars instead of 2, 4 character slots instead of 2, the ability to trade credits (up to maybe 5k/day or something for twinking) and better GTM privileges. Edited by GalacticKegger

1. For the F2P people complaining about the restrictions: would you have complained about something else if they gave you 3 or 4 quickbars or whatever else anyway? (be honest)

People always complain. Yet it would be much, much easier to defend the other F2P decisions compared to this particular faux pas.

I am thinking they need to restrict the storyline, i mean, out of all the F2P players i have met in the game 75% of them joined cause it was free and because they can see the only important thing......the story and after they have seen all the stories, they will stop playing.

I think they should have made it free up to the start of act 2, that way, they can see what its about, without bioware giving away the main reason for me playing in the first place....the story.

Klarick,

Are you serious?

See link: http://www.swtor.com/free/features

The ONLY thing free players get that is the same as subscribers is to play the entire campaign.

Let's take a look at how even that is affected:

- They get Sprint later (Subscribers get it at 1, they get it at 15)

- They are allowed ONE crew skill

- No bank

- Max 200,000 credits

- Restricted chat/tells

- Can't send in-game mail

- Can't trade

- Max two items on GTN (50 for subscribers)

- Pay to respec (free for subscribers)

- Max two character slots and only 3 species selections

- Have to pay to unlock Operations

- Five unranked warzones per week. Cannot access Ranked.

- Three flashpoints per week

- Three space missions per week

- Have to pay (real-world money, not in-game credits) to expand Inventory

- Longer cooldown on Quick-travel

- No Fleet pass

- Later access to mounts

- Total of FIVE in-the-field revives PER CHARACTER. So you use up the five, that's it, you're done. Now you can only revive at a med center. Only way around it is to buy more.

- Can't equip Purple items

- Earn fewer Commendations

- Pay more for Vendor items

- Takes longer to gain XP

- No Rested XP

- Takes longer to gain Valor

- Two quickbars

- Can't equip event rewards

- Higher cost of removing item mods

- Higher cost of adding augment slots

- No access to customer service aside from FAQ and Knowledge Base

That is too much for free?

Let's not even start addressing the fact that you feel two quickbars is enough. For most classes (if not every class), two quickbars is not even enough to house every ability available to you and while yes, certain abilities get more use than others, any even mediocre player knows that there are situational uses for every ability. Needing to fire the ability from the Abilities Window simply won't cut it in those situations.

I really hope you are trolling. Because asking to give F2P even less than they already have is absolutely ridiculous. I am a founder, just like you. I am a subscriber, just like you. I pre-ordered the Collector's Edition the moment it was available. I have an account that was created the DAY the SWTOR website and forums were first opened (not this account, but I can link you to it and post from it if you need proof).

I'm of the opinion that F2P players don't have enough.

Edited by SnakeAes

People always complain. Yet it would be much, much easier to defend the other F2P decisions compared to this particular faux pas.

I would tend to agree with you on this -- it seems quite restrictive if you are really going to play.

It just seems like the stuff from each side is tremendously overblown -- that is why I posed the questions.

Klarick,

Are you serious?

Let's not even start addressing the fact that you feel two quickbars is enough. For most classes (if not every class), .

I'm very serious Snake.BW is giving this game away. Unlike GW2, FTP'ers in SWTOR dont even have to buy the game! I paid over $60.00 for my copy. Plus, they can play every class story in the game! Unprecedented level of FTP.

Oh about the 2 Quick Bars. You will have absolutly ZERO problem playing the storyline, all the way to 50, of every single class with just 2 bars. Not a single problem. Now, you wanna start doing HM and NM Flashpoints and Operations, then yeah you may just want those extra bars. If thats the case you can pay the $2.00 whole dollars and unlock the extra bars. Again, you are getting a $60.00 AAA game for nothing!

I'm very serious Snake.BW is giving this game away. Unlike GW2, FTP'ers in SWTOR dont even have to buy the game! I paid over $60.00 for my copy. Plus, they can play every class story in the game! Unprecedented level of FTP.

Oh about the 2 Quick Bars. You will have absolutly ZERO problem playing the storyline, all the way to 50, of every single class with just 2 bars. Not a single problem. Now, you wanna start doing HM and NM Flashpoints and Operations, then yeah you may just want those extra bars. If thats the case you can pay the $2.00 whole dollars and unlock the extra bars. Again, you are getting a $60.00 AAA game for nothing!

Karlick has a good point.

People moan and groan about F2P having less content than GW2, but GW2 cost me $64 after tax, SWTOR F2P? Costs $0.

I guess that old saying is true: you get what you pay for

LMFAO - one of those whining elitists again?

F2P is very wrong set up. They should have adapted LOTRO's model, not EQ2's model - but yeah, EA likes it this way - greed much, down fast.

- Founder, (current) sub (although not renewing sub due to the whining behaviour of elitists in this game), pre-ordered SW:TOR - MicBenSte

* I could care less for this game due to A) the moneygrab EA put into SW:TOR&Bioware and B) the whining elitists who jump from MMO to MMO, destroying it in the process and then complain that it 'wasn't good enough'*

Couldn't disagree more, I think they need to give more for free. The restrictions on game mechanics such as quick bars are too much, I think people should be able to play the main stories pretty much unhampered. Restrictions on endgame, character slots, banks, inventory, mail etc are fine but penalties on cash and XP is just ridiculous.

Once Bioware get themselves around to actually pumping out some real content updates and expansions they should feel free to charge F2P as they want, but the base game should be there to enjoy without restrictions. Surely its better to let someone enjoy the game, get hooked and have them pay for future content?

Couldn't disagree more, I think they need to give more for free. The restrictions on game mechanics such as quick bars are too much, I think people should be able to play the main stories pretty much unhampered. Restrictions on endgame, character slots, banks, inventory, mail etc are fine but penalties on cash and XP is just ridiculous.

Once Bioware get themselves around to actually pumping out some real content updates and expansions they should feel free to charge F2P as they want, but the base game should be there to enjoy without restrictions. Surely its better to let someone enjoy the game, get hooked and have them pay for future content?

I agree the quick slots and hide head slot and wear pink armour is just stupid but i do agree about the buying the game point as i bought the game then 3 months later its free seems a bit of a rip off and all they gave us was a few coins. I also don't mind the cash restrictions as this does entice players to spend to get the upper limits as i have done in a different f2p. Low xp just means a little extra time no hardship there.

People moan and groan about F2P having less content than GW2, but GW2 cost me $64 after tax, SWTOR F2P? Costs $0.

ToR cost me 150 bucks plus 10 months at 15 bucks a month. Far more then I paid for GW2.

as an owner of the CE who preordered the first day you were able to I demand I get 500 cartel coins extra every month, and on top of that a 'grand moff poobah' title on all my chars (yes, even republic)

not forgetting to mention I should be the only one able to use a 300% speeder

as an owner of the CE who preordered the first day you were able to I demand I get 500 cartel coins extra every month, and on top of that a 'grand moff poobah' title on all my chars (yes, even republic)

not forgetting to mention I should be the only one able to use a 300% speeder

I would also like the 'grand moff poobah' hat to go with the title. thank you.

Dear Bioware,

As a Founder and subscriber, I'm a little dismayed that you are willing to give away so much of the game, that I pay for each month. Dont get me wrong, I like FTP options as I do think they are beneficial to the ongoing development of a game. However, the path you have chosen is unpredented in how much it gives for nothing.

A person can play the entire storyline of every class in the game, on either side of the conflict, without paying a dime! Really? That's a bit much IMO, and sort of a slap to us that pay monthly. As a suggestion I would like to see a more LOTRO type of model where a FTP'r has to buy quest packs and zone unlocks in order to progress. This method allows the FTP'ers a choice in what parts of the game they want to play WITHOUT angering those that pay a monthly subscription.

What you have done here is decide to just give the game away. I trust you know what you are doing here, but I, for one, am not too crazy about it.

Thank you,

Klarick

FOUNDER

As a Founder and subscirber, i would ask you to first try playing a bit with this "free" version as it is much more restrictive than you think it is.

I tried playing F2P for a few days coming back after unsubbing for a few months, but the odd and silly restrictions really take away alot from the game. And paying to unlock that stuff for the account (not just that character) costs me more than 3 months worth of subscription does.

So i subscribed again instead.

I understand that you are concerned, since technically one could play through all 8 storylines without paying a dime. BUT, you would be severely hindered when doing so.

1: You earn less XP than a subscriber (30% less i believe), so you will have to do every single sidequest there is and still grind some mobs to stay with the leveling curve.

2: VERY limited access to space missions, flashpoints, operations and warzones, meaning you earn even less XP than subscribers do by simply missing out on those things.

3: only 2 quickbars. This might seem trivial, but trust me its not. When you get to level 20 it starts to get crowded on those 2 quickbars.

4: No field-revival. If you die (and you will, since you wont level properly) you have to spawn back at the medical station and then go all the way back to the place you died. (and you dont get access to speeders until Lvl 25, and sprint at lvl 15 i think).

5: Limited character customisation. This might seem like something unimportant, but it really isnt if you want to enjoy the game and not just "try the stories". You get access to only 3 races. And you cannot colour match your armour, so you'll have the same problem as we did at launch of looking like a clown for those first 30 or so levels. And you cannot use any titles, or show your legacy name.

6: Some quest items are apparantly simply not given to F2P players. Instead they get a lovely token "you would have gotten something here if you were a subscriber" icon. (kindof like a big middle finger)

So yeah, TECHNICALLY you can play through the game for free... but it will suck.

Go ahead, try it... i dare you.

I am thinking they need to restrict the storyline, i mean, out of all the F2P players i have met in the game 75% of them joined cause it was free and because they can see the only important thing......the story and after they have seen all the stories, they will stop playing.

I think they should have made it free up to the start of act 2, that way, they can see what its about, without bioware giving away the main reason for me playing in the first place....the story.

So?

If the game didnt go F2P they wouldnt have played it. Bioware/EA looses no money from giving those guys the game for free, but they might gain a few subscribers that just joined to do the storyline but got hooked afterwards and start subbing.

What you are saying is basically that youre annoyed that they get to play the story for free, but you had to pay for it. Well now you dont, unsubscribe and keep playing the story. Whats the problem?

Edited by OddballEasyEight

well you guys know not everyone who is a f2per is new,right?

some of us, brought the game and subbed for months before leaving due to varies oh reasons.

I disagree with the OP. So far based on what I've seen with the Cartel Market some are spending a lot of money there and this is a needed boon to the game. Also, I think people should be allowed to F2P 1-50 as it has the potential to get them hooked and want more. If the model needs to be adjusted I'd argue they need to remove some of the more ridiculous restriction:

- F2P should get at least 2 bars (bump preferred to 3 or 4)

- F2P should not have purple items locked (if they are below mod level 50)

Those two I think are the biggest / silliest free restrictions. Overall I'm happy with the model so far.

For the record I've been an active never un-subbed subscriber since pre-order and I don't plan to change that.

Yeah the only reason why I sitll sub to swtor is for lightsabers and story GW2 cost less and offers more for free.

GW2 offers more? More what? GW2 is fun for about 2 weeks, then it just gets boring fast. GW2 is also filled with bots, an issue that is getting worse everyday -- according to thier customer support team. Additionally GW2 is not free! It runs about $60.00 retail. On the other hand SWTOR is completely free.