How does Artifice work

PKS_EdRich

How artifice works is like this:

You're a Jedi, right? This means with Artifice, you can gather materials and then make gear for your lightsaber and any moddable armor you find / obtain. If you're not restricted to one crew skill, then you'll want to also take Tresure Hunting (preferred if you only have two skills available to you) and archaeology (if you have all three available to you.)

As a Sentinel, you'll want to make, reverse-engineer, and upgrade your lightsaber hilts, color crystals, and enhancements, along with any offhand equipment for companions (such as shields, focii, generators, etc.) Make a green of an item, break it down, try to score a blue-quality of the same thing, then make that and throw it in. My suggestion for enhancements would be to only buy the ones you yourself would need, and I'm tempted to say don't bother trying to RE things into purple quality until endgame, and not even then if you're a freebie account.

If you try to buy every single enhancement, you'll go broke. If you try to RE every single enhancement other than what you use, you'll go broke. If you try to RE into purples every single time, you'll go broke. Trust me on that. If you get into a guild or something and people want you to make stuff for them, then make sure you let them know you probably don't have it readily available the first time and will need to RE it, and try to let them know what their options are - they usually have a few enhancements with the same stats but in different quantities - more End than Crit or Surge, or more Crit than Surge and End, or more Surge than Crit or End, etc.

That's my tips.

There are three types of crew skills: crafting like artifice, gathering and mission. crafting skills require materials from gathering and mission skills in order to craft the item you want.

In the case of artifice, you want to have archeology and treasure hunting as the skills to feed your artifice crafting.

Now if you are a Free to Play (FTP) player then you are only allowed one crew skill. What this means is that you will have to buy materials with credits from other players. This is usually done through the Galactic Trade Market (AKA GTN or GTM). the GTN is located at fleet.

However, as this is probably your first character, you will most likely not have the funds to buy materials from other players (they can be VERY expensive due to lack of supply or high demand or both).

if you are a FTP player my suggestion would be to abandon artifice and take up a gathering or mission skill instead.

If you are a subscriber you should have the option to get two more crew skills go get archeology and treasure hunting.

all the crafts work essentially the same

1 craft with 1 gathering & 1 mission skill

for artifice the gathering skill is Archeology & the mission skill is Treasure Hunting.

gathering mats are normally green quality ~ Mission skill mats are blue or purple (the color of the frame around the material)

green paterrns require only green mats - while blue paterns add some blue mats & purple paterns require the purple mats

leveling is so fast in this game you really don't need to bother with the purple paterns.

for a Sentinal ou're going to want to make the might hilts & look for an enhancements that have endurance & power - as you get to the higher levels you will want to start using some enhancements with accuracy/ crit/ surge

There is a nice sticky at the top of the crafting forum about how the RE system works for the offhand items - you're going to want to look at that. But as a sentinel your offhand is a saber ~ so you're really in good shape as the same mods will work great for both sabers.

• 1 month later...
My artifice is 60 for now, but i still dont have any other options than basic color cristals and LS hults 2. How should I get new cristals and hilts?:(

Go back to the Artifice vendor on fleet or Nar Shadaa, et. al. The higher you level your Artifice, the more patterns become available. you can also buy patterns off the GTN, or RE drops...

If you are still leveling your toon, you should try to solo as much as possible and use your companions to keep your Artifice crafts higher than your actual player level. That way, you can get new ENH/HILTS/OH when your toon reaches certain levels.

i.e. I am lvl 19, but my artifice is already @ 300 so I am crafting/REing for purple grade crystals/hilt/enh/oh for when I reach level 23. Once I hit lvl 23, swap all those pieces, I rinse/repeat for level 27, etc, etc.

That way you have provided your toon ample gear to level with and got patterns for a multitude of levels for endgame crafting, some of which actually sell at higher profit margins than the endgame stuff...

Thank you for the answers. I'm a subscriber and I've also got treasure hunting and investigation. I will unlearn investigation and will learn archeology. Virtual money is the issue. It's easily spend but also easily learned.

Just to add, as a Sent, you might want to invest in a couple of orange lightsabers. Looks like this is your first toon, so this type of investment is good for you because:

1. Orange quality weapons are available @ level 20 and are pretty cheap.

2. Orange is 100% customizable.

3. Orange is used almost exclusively at endgame.

Since you are Artifice, you will have access to craft 3(crys/hilt/enh) out of the four parts you need to keep both lightsabers up to date according to what level your toon is at. The only thing missing is one mod for each of the swords (in light box before sword saint :D). So then you could either buy the mods off the GTN or get them from specialty vendors/drops in open world.. If you are on the Shadowlands, I'll craft them for you for free...:)

Edited by L-RANDLE

• 3 years later...
I have seen the post and was wondering if any1 can help me with the same query as I am a Lvl 46 Sith Assassin but don't have a clue how how to artifice for colour crystal as I'll be starting a new crew skill and I have all 3 slots available .

Color Crystals schematics come from three possible sources:

trainer

reputation vendors (daily areas)

Reverse Engineering existing color crystals that drop in various operations

Dulfy.net has a reasonably complete list of all the possible color crystals and where you can get them: http://dulfy.net/2012/05/07/endgame-color-crystals-post-1-2-and-how-to-obtain-them/

Most are from Cartel Packs, which cannot be reverse engineered for the schematic.

The ones from the Warzones materials packs can only be purchased off the GTN, installed into a weapon, removed and then REed for the schematic (I think), as the Warzones materials packs are no longer available from the vendor.