Warning to all those attempting Vorgath NiM (maybe HM too)

Yes, it was quite a shock to us on the first droid as we were ready and waiting to interrupt and then I instantly got knocked back all of a sudden. We weren't able to really test the mechanics as despite the change he remained a 1-shot, however it felt that overload was now a frontal aoe knockback similar to the one sages have, I may be wrong however but the is what it seemed like to me. Edited by ArcCaptain

Annoying... Any clue if that's how it's supposed to work or if it's actually a half-baked bug fix?

I'm pretty sure it's a half-baked bug fix. While this certainly makes the fight more interesting from a DPS and healing perspective, it entirely removes 3/4ths of the minefield from consideration by the puzzle solver. You *have* to use the left row, since solving anywhere else results in a wipe (well, I guess you *could* use the right row if you really wanted to, but that's as silly as it has ever been). It also means that getting a bad roll on mine positions results in an auto-wipe due to enrage. When we did it tonight, we had to defuse five mines and it felt like we were pretty tight on the enrage. Six mines on the left row would be death, even if there's a nearly-clear path just to the right.

For those attempting this, Overload is a frontal cone with a fairly wide radius (more than 180 degrees, but less than 270). So, you tank him with your back to the wall while everyone else LoS's the tank on the other side of the droid. Sucks, but doable.

For reference, here it is from the point of view of the solver:

You'll notice that, about halfway through, our sentinel was just a hair out of position right as we pulled the probe and got blown out.

Oh, and we asked around in gen chat after we hit this "mechanic" to see if anyone else was having the same issue. A couple groups were doing hard mode and confirmed that it was *not* bugged there, so it seems this is just a nightmare mode issue.

Edited by KeyboardNinja

A few questions:

1. Can the group position themselves in the green box at one corner so the tank gets knockbacked the diagonal length of the box? Or is the knockback distance too long?

2. What does the group do when the left-most 1st space is red? It seems like if that is the case the group has 3 options: (A) /stuck (B) see if right-most 1st space is green or © attempt to progress down middle and hope the knockback doesn't knock the tank out of the diagonal length of the box.

Edited by Kil-Gorbane

A few questions:

1. Can the group position themselves in the green box at one corner so the tank gets knockbacked the diagonal length of the box? Or is the knockback distance too long?

2. What does the group do when the left-most 1st space is red? It seems like if that is the case the group has 3 options: (A) /stuck (B) see if right-most 1st space is green or © attempt to progress down middle and hope the knockback doesn't knock the tank out of the diagonal length of the box.

Well if the leftmost space is always green I think we can assume that the change is intended... If not...

Does the fire start AFTER or BEFORE the first defusal? Cause if it's after then the group can just get the first probe without standing on the actual minefield

The knockback distance is too long.

In order to down the boss in his current state, you have to get lucky in one of four ways:

• First left-most square is green (not always the case)
  • First right-most square is green and fewer than usual disarms along that wall
  • First and second of either the middle-left or middle-right are green
  • First of any row is green and you get really, really lucky with tank knockbacks

The last point is basically alluding to the fact that you can position the droid in the green square with the tank facing toward the area before the minefield. As long as the timing works out so that your tank isn't knocked into the explosion, you can do it that way. Your tank *will* be knocked into the fire, but he can just run out of it.

The role that RNG plays in the fight now is one of the best arguments that this is not an intended mechanic.

I'm not sure if this holds true on the probe, but on some bosses like The Thing From the Stars on NiM Pilgrim, your interrupt only becomes available when there's something to interrupt.

Is is possible that this same feature occurs on probes? Then all you need is your standard 3 interrupters and having them just pay attention when there's something to interrupt (i.e. the button is clickable).

Edited by Lostpenguins

You got it slightly wrong. For The Thing, there is only a few seconds while he does his white circle where he becomes immune to interrupts. The rest of the time you cant still cast it on him, regardless if hes actually casting anything or not.

You got it slightly wrong. For The Thing, there is only a few seconds while he does his white circle where he becomes immune to interrupts. The rest of the time you cant still cast it on him, regardless if hes actually casting anything or not.

Is it? I also thought he's uninterruptable when he's doing Massive Gore, but as soon as he starts casting his non-stop Gores you can go back to interrupting him.

Bleh... why is BW so bad at fixing bugs? You fix the bug so Overload is useable by the probe... but don't even spend 30 minutes checking the encounter. Really BW? Really?

Yeah massive gore is another, i havent done pilgrim in awhile.

If anything, i wish they had special animations for when he does overload. That would at least give a skilled group the ability to navigate the puzzle without getting tossed everywhere.

That blows... I hope they get this fixed by the weekend. Unless you wanna wait for the left row which could take whoever knows how long, I would recommended setting it to hard mode until they fix it then go onto NiM Kephess.

Yeah this kinda suprised us too yesterday. We did our first timerun with only one wipe (stupid minefield) nevertheless. Everybody stood beside the tank & had their back to the wall so that no one gets knockbock (not even if somebody gets aggro). We got lucky with the left row =) Edited by medicmedic

Did vorgath tonight... Wiped once for a mistake so we actually had two tries... Both times the leftmost row was green...

I really think that it's not a bug and it's actually the way it's supposed to be done. The only change they may need to make (though since it's nightmare mode you're supposed to be familiar with hard mode tactics) is make a visible cast bar but make it uninterruptible, so people don't just get knocked back without knowing why.

We did this boss and we were able to one-shot him... which is surprising given this complete and utter lack of QA testing by BW. If they really designed Overload to be a non-seen cast bar... then they're dumb. If they didn't, then they're still dumb for letting something like this slip through QA because they couldn't spend 30 minutes testing the encounter themselves after making the change on the fight.

And did they fix it in the emergency patch last night? Nope. Why? Because Bioware is failing us, yet again.

Hey folks, I spoke to designers Toby McCall and Jesse Sky and this is what they had to say about this:

When Nightmare Mode was released, Overload had no activation time, but its ballistic component was not working (which meant Overload could be completely ignored). We corrected this in the patch. In Nightmare Mode, the optimal path will always appear on either the left or the right wall, so a wall will always be available for tanking the demolitions probes.