So would anyone like to explain...

Wolfninjajedi

There are these things called opinions we form in our minds that cause us to believe things about stuff that other people do not.

In the words of Obi-wan Kenobi:

"we spend our entire lives constructing our own personal brand of truth. Then we find it hard to understand that others have a different point of view."

WELL SAID MY GOOD FELLOW....WELL SAID!!! OBI WAN RULZ!!:eek:

C3-PO

All went without memory wipes and they all developed their own personalities. H

At the end of Episode III:

Bail Organa: "Captain Antilles, I am placing these droids in your care, treat them well, clean them up; have the protocol droids mind wiped."

The best way to describe HK-47 being so "******" is to play KoToR. If you don't you can't understand his appeal. Btw, have the money... on my first play through when I hit Tatooine I didn't and never bought him XD

But yea, He's great because the fans got to know him and love him by playing the games. Just as they love Revan.

At the end of Episode III:

Bail Organa: "Captain Antilles, I am placing these droids in your care, treat them well, clean them up; have the protocol droids mind wiped."

The best way to describe HK-47 being so "******" is to play KoToR. If you don't you can't understand his appeal. Btw, have the money... on my first play through when I hit Tatooine I didn't and never bought him XD

But yea, He's great because the fans got to know him and love him by playing the games. Just as they love Revan.

I was mainly referring the C-3PO at EP 4, not before cause throughout the OT he does develop a personality again anyway, and I have played Kotor...haven't seen his "**** DA BEST EVER!" appeal.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Sorry for the mix up, after Ep IV yea, he does kinda. My mistake.

And I don't understand the hype over him myself. At the same time, I don't quite understand the fandom over Revan. To me they were good characters I played in a computer game.

The fact my Revan was female might help :p but meh.

When KoToR II started there was an HK droid there. In my first play through I thought it was HK-47. Because, aside the colour, the seemed the same - given his voice "patterns" and all that, it's understandable.

Another thing that has always bothered me is, ok so HK-47 is suppose to be an elite assassin droid right? So then why is it that, he has been destroyed/shut down several times(in canon) and he couldn't get off of mustafar and got whooped 3k years later by a bunch of spacers? Some elite killing machine he is.

This is kind of an odd thread to me. People like him. People don't. It's personal taste. When I was a kid, I loved Han Solo. My best friend loved Luke Skywalker. Why do people love him? Because they enjoyed seeing/hearing/interacting with him in various games. You don't have to back up your own personal taste with talking-points and facts to defend that position.

I know you're just having fun here, but it seems to me that your dislike of him seems to be just as extreme. I really don't think there's anything that anyone could post that would change your mind about him. Why? Because you don't like him.

When it comes to personal likes and dislikes, "why" is an impossible question to answer.

I guess you could say, "There is no why." :)

When did I say I disliked HK-47? I never said I didn't like him, moreover my OP was pretty much about asking why people think hes some kinda droid god.

"Why people love HK-47? Get off the fanboy train and really tell me, because after watching and looking at him he doesn't really seem that special. Ok so...he has a cool/sarcastic voice and says the word "meatbag".......is that really all your giving me? People say hes special because he has his own personality....that doesn't make him special."

Sorry, I misunderstood the question. I thought you were just asking why people love him. Can't really answer that question. I've not really seen anybody saying he's the droid chosen one. I just see people that really like him, which again, is just person opinion.

Possibly. I wasn't born when the original 3 was released so I don't know about people's fascination with him during that time.

As someone who was around at the beginning, my reason for liking Boba Fett was simple: his was by far the baddest *** looking action figure. My 2nd fav was some imperial in black armor, think that was maybe a Tie pilot from ESB. Just looked awesome, may have to go digging in my basement soon, still have a lot of that stuff down there somewhere. One of my friends I still hang with still has everything, and I mean ALL of the original stuff(at least through Empire) in storage at his parents. Not in orig packing or anything cuz we played with all of it when we were little, but all in good shape. Damn, I'm getting old. :/

As someone who was around at the beginning, my reason for liking Boba Fett was simple: his was by far the baddest *** looking action figure. My 2nd fav was some imperial in black armor, think that was maybe a Tie pilot from ESB. Just looked awesome, may have to go digging in my basement soon, still have a lot of that stuff down there somewhere. One of my friends I still hang with still has everything, and I mean ALL of the original stuff(at least through Empire) in storage at his parents. Not in orig packing or anything cuz we played with all of it when we were little, but all in good shape. Damn, I'm getting old. :/

As someone else that was around for the originals, I agree with you here. I was about 11 or so when I first saw Empire, and we all raced to be the first to own a Boba Fett action figure. As kids, it was just the mystery he brought. No backstory, no explanations. All we had to go on was Vader looking at him and saying "No disintegration."

That one line was enough for us to all think he had a cool history with Vader. It just sparked our 11 year old imaginations and spawned many great adventures, back in a day and age where the only place the EU existed was in play-rooms and backyards of the kids that loved that movie.

I can't say for sure, but I think that the same thing happened with Darth Maul and the kids watching the new movies. I think that's why he was so popular (although, admittedly, they did get to see Darth Maul being a bad***; I'm mainly referring to his mystique).

Why people love HK-47? Get off the fanboy train and really tell me, because after watching and looking at him he doesn't really seem that special. Ok so...he has a cool/sarcastic voice and says the word "meatbag".......is that really all your giving me? People say hes special because he has his own personality....that doesn't make him special.

R2-D2

C3-PO

T3-M4

All went without memory wipes and they all developed their own personalities. Hes an assassin droid....that can kill jedi....again thats not really special, killing jedi isn't a special thing anymore. The CIS droids did it, clones did it, bounty hunters did it, its not a special thing anymore. He was built by the sith lord Revan....ok so? 3PO was built by Anakin at the age of 9(or was it 10?) so does that make him the best droid ever? In fact the only thing I find about him that is in detail is his personality, everything else is either non-existent or theres little information.

Nice that you start your discourse by calling those who disagree with you fanboys. Did you play KOTOR? HK-47 is a deadly Marvin the Paranoid Android. Unlike most science fiction nonsense involving androids, HK-47 doesn't long to be human. He is misanthropic as can be, and detests organic beings. Then add his deadpan delivery, and he's very funny. He is like Christine meets Leland Galt from Needful Things. He pretends to be your loyal servant while systematically breaking down your morality, slowly egging you on to be more and more evil so you'll eventually ask him to murder many organics, and when that ends in your inevitable demise, he'll slip back into the background a a humble protocol droid looking for his next victim.

He's was also a marked departure from droids of Star Wars at the time. Compare him to Lucas' stupid battle droids. There is no comparison. He's actually very underrepresented in SWTOR, it's only after a long 30 hour journey with him that you appreciate his underlying badness.

Edited by Rikalonius

You cannot judge fan-love for HK-47 by anything that happens in SWTOR, or from his picture & written lore.

You have to listen to him tell the story of his life, a little bit at a time, as you repair his memory core in KOTOR. One fiasco after another, delivered with a voice laced with utter loathing for the meatbags who put him through it all. Imagine a C3-P0, who instead of whining about how awful whatever is going on is, quietly plots the demise of all the responsible parties and sounds malevolently gleeful describing how he brought each demise about.

You have to use him as a translator with the Sand People, and actually hear him say: ""Translation: He requires proof of good faith. We must make a contribution to his people that shows we are not a threat. Shall I blast him now, master?""

The line is awesome enough when read, but the voice actor nails the combination of feigned servility, sarcasm, passionate hope for violence, and pure malevolent intent it so perfectly....

Yeah, when it comes to HK-47, I'm a fanboi, too.

2% probablity the minature organic is just looking for trouble and needs to be blasted. This might be wishful thinking on my part.