What's with the ship sizes?

twotimingpete

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Aircraft Carrier … It’s the ship that made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs.

isnt a parsec a measure of distance do bi do bi do.

lol sorry couldnt resist family guy :cool:

Edited by Shingara

Also keep in mind these ships need to be big enough to have room for 6 people to live on, have a cargo bay, engine room, cockpit, medical bay, air lock, escape pod. Did you expect them to be the size of a mini-van?

I sorta get the idea that the ship is supposed to sorta "feel" like a personal craft -- like a millenium falcon size ship.

you know, like this.

http://tracysmorris.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/hoth-echo-base-han-solo-repairs-millenium-falcon.jpg

as a smuggler, I assumed I'd get something like that. something in that ballpark.

instead what I get is an aircraft carrier.

do the ship seem like they're about 5 times too big to anyone else? it feels less personal that way.

The Smuggler ship just seems so big because of the corridor design. I hate it.

That said, I think the ships all are basically the same size as one would expect from watching the movies, etc.

Edited by revial

Personally, I love my ship size. It's impressive, and that's the way I like it. :) It also has to house all my crew as well, so it seems about right. There's no bathroom though... :eek:

There is a bathroom; it's just been renamed so as to fly under the ratings radar. Also, one of your crew members did something NASTY in there, so you can't go in right now. The game even gives you a helpful message when you try, telling you it's "unavailable at this time."

There is a bathroom; it's just been renamed so as to fly under the ratings radar. Also, one of your crew members did something NASTY in there, so you can't go in right now. The game even gives you a helpful message when you try, telling you it's "unavailable at this time."

hehe, you mean the escape pod doubles as a bathroom?? :D

Well, I guess that makes sense. If you need to abandon ship, you still need somewhere to umm, do your business ;)

Two points here:

One: The picture you posted is of a prop in the movie. They didn't have the sets for the Falcon inside that thing. The scale in the movie is WRONG. Sorry, but the sets as shot and the exterior of the ship don't fit. The exterior shots in the films are too small for the known interior shots. Hell, would Han even fit in that cockpit as shown? I love star wars and all, but there are a few flaws in the films, such as this.

Two: the reason that everything feels 'huge' on the interiors is that the ceilings everywhere are WAY high, to accommodate a third person camera. This leads to having all player accessible areas having inflated sizes, compared to real life. It's a result of the genre, sorry.

This here; and also the act that different ships of different timeframes.

I want a bigger ship one of the star destroyer like things thanks. The SI should at least get one being on the dark council and all.

Maybe could be a guild ship? I don't say this word often... but that would be AWESOME! :D

getting the feeling a lot of people here have very very VERY poor reading comprehension.

look at the EXTERIOR IMAGE I linked showing han solo on top of the falcon.

then go look at the EXTERIOR of your ship in the hangar, particularly the smuggler ship.

the size is not even remotely the same. not even remotely.

The scale of the Falcon in the films frequently changed from scene to scene. Most of the external props were actually too small for most of the interior sets to actually fit inside them. Check out this pic (What a piece of junk!). That is closer to the scale they referenced when modelling the Smuggler ship in this game.

:csw_redsaber::csw_bluesaber:

After all this is an American game.

One should not expect small vehicles in an American game.

:D

To be quite frank, I do agree with you. But it is certainly not a game breaker, just a bit of a bummer. I mean, a Jedi Knight travelling the galaxy in a whale of a ship? I call that folly.

Riot, the OP's problem does not seem to be actually tied to the size of the ship. It's more a reaction to item two of my last post. If they made the ships have realistic interiors, then they'd be screaming about the incredibly awkward camera. It's a function of the way the game is designed, that player occupied spaces have to be about 2-4 times larger, in relation to the PC's and NPC's then they would reasonably be. It's why all the buildings and enterable spacecraft in the game are freaking HUGE. It's so the camera works right. There was a Dev Diary about this back before launch, that explained it better then I can. I'm sure it's on the website somewhere...

Actually, I thought the OP stated quite clearly that she thought the exterior graphics for the ship(s) were too large.

I am aware of the reasoning behind the higher ceilings - they don't bother me at all. Also, as I did with the OP, I will refer you to pretty much any of the 6 Star Wars movies - a very large percentage of important objects/buildings etc are very large, and grandiose in nature. That feature in this game is hardly out of place for the Star Wars universe.

Riôt

• 6 months later...

Ya, the scale definitely seems yo be a bit large, even for a Woookie companion.

I am Playing a male smuggler body type 2 and I'm not sure how he would be able to see over the console. The doors look to be about 12 feet tall and the Hallways are huge.

It kind of reminds me of the scaling in Star Trek Online, but not neatly as bad.

I looks like it was designed for the characters to be about 30% bigger on board or the ship interior to be 30% smaller. I think that was how they fixed a similar issue in Kotor, the characters looked a lot bigger inside the ship then outside.

you got that from someone hiding under the floor, playing chess, sitting in the pilot seat, being in the guns and a near kiss next to a wall ?

sorry couldnt resist, i only remember seeing chewie working on it once and it was about the same size.

you get to see it in relation to people in the beginning of emipre

Well the BH ship seems a bit small, and so do the Warrior/Inquisitor ships.

My favourite ships are:

1. Imperial Agent (so smoooth, like a babies bottom)

2. Jedi Knight/Consular (It's the one I keep shooting at as an Imperial :D)

Those 2 just seem so right. The rest? Meh.

I sorta get the idea that the ship is supposed to sorta "feel" like a personal craft -- like a millenium falcon size ship.

you know, like this.

http://tracysmorris.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/hoth-echo-base-han-solo-repairs-millenium-falcon.jpg

as a smuggler, I assumed I'd get something like that. something in that ballpark.

do the ship seem like they're about 5 times too big to anyone else? it feels less personal that way.

Ships are great as they are. If anything I'd love to have an even bigger ship. I hated how Ebon Hawk in KOTOR was a stupid clown car... bigger on the inside...

Though I'd agree that Smuggler Ship's cockpit is a bit too large... All consoles seem to bee too high...

Edited by Aelther

you know, like this.

What are you talking about? Look at the picture you linked! Han is on one of the forward mandibles in the photo, so looks a little bigger. Look at the cockpit next to him. In the movies we see that several people can fit in that cockpit. Now, your photo that you linked only shows a fraction of the entire ship. Look how small that cockpit is in comparison to the whole ship: http://www.thelogbook.com/toy/images/falcon/full/overhead.jpg

Let's say you can fit 5 people into the cockpit. Looking at the rest of the ship, you could easily fit over a hundred people on the ship at that scale.