SWTOR May Still Be Headed Down a Dark Path (LONG POST)

MOPSFounder

The PvP is terrible in SWTOR, and that's not comparing it to WoW (which is also terribile).

If they ditched the resolve system and got something fit for purpose it would be a lot better, but then they'd still need some RvR (or better RvRvR) and even then really collision detection.

Which is a shame because the classes are well built for PvP and the SW universe in general was build around RvR. :(

Agreed. I love playing PvP in SWTOR (because I'm a PvP junkie), but the way it works in this game is utterly terribad.

The game's Resolve now takes LONGER to fill-up if multiple stuns are hitting you. Some players (like myself) have experienced being stunned to death with our Resolve not taking affect. This game is a massive stun-fest in PvP. The stuns and CC feel like they were meant more for PvE instances, and that just might be the case.

It's a shame this game is PvE-centric because Star Wars revolves around RvR (or RvRvR). You have the good guys, you have the bad guys, and you have every other type of faction (Hutts, Mandos, Pirates, Neutral affiliations) in between. Too bad this game's OPvP is nothing but a massive zerg- and lag-fest. :(

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The pvp in game would be fine had ilum worked and rated warzone launch on patch 1.2 not patch 1.3. Unfortunately, BW was not able to fix ilum and shutdown ilum until they could fix it. This reminds of sony and how they disabled battlegrounds until they could fix them, but never fixed battlegrounds. To my recollection sony never fixed battlegrounds in swg. Thus, never turn them back on. I was lucky enough to activate a battleground in the early days after launch for swg.

Ilum was nothing but pure failure from BioWare, sadly. They did NOT do their homework on basic MMO OPvP 101. :(

The pvp in game would be fine had ilum worked and rated warzone launch on patch 1.2 not patch 1.3. Unfortunately, BW was not able to fix ilum and shutdown ilum until they could fix it. This reminds of sony and how they disabled battlegrounds until they could fix them, but never fixed battlegrounds. To my recollection sony never fixed battlegrounds in swg. Thus, never turn them back on. I was lucky enough to activate a battleground in the early days after launch for swg.

Nah, the resolve system isn't fit for purpose - the designed something too complex for a simple job - i.e. an all in one system over a series of simple timers (which works).

I agree the PvP could be much better in this game. Right now the PvP is serviceable at best. I also agree we should have RvR open world PvP. They have DAoC and WAR. They should attempt to incorporate something as close to those game's PvP as possible, IMO. And for all the people saying this game isn't about PvP. You are right it isn't for PvP on your PvE and RP servers, but for those of us that understand that different factions in the Star Wars universe actually do fight each other, we just want PvP that works right and isn't limited to tiny skirmishes. Personally i think if they improved the PvP it would bring in a loyal player base that would pay money, and that would allow EA to put some money into PvE content. I personally enjoy both PvP and endgame PvE. I think the story aspect of this game is amazing. There simply needs to be more to do once you hit the lvl cap. RvR would be a huge step in the right direction IMO

I agree the PvP could be much better in this game. Right now the PvP is serviceable at best. I also agree we should have RvR open world PvP. They have DAoC and WAR. They should attempt to incorporate something as close to those game's PvP as possible, IMO. And for all the people saying this game isn't about PvP. You are right it isn't for PvP on your PvE and RP servers, but for those of us that understand that different factions in the Star Wars universe actually do fight each other, we just want PvP that works right and isn't limited to tiny skirmishes. Personally i think if they improved the PvP it would bring in a loyal player base that would pay money, and that would allow EA to put some money into PvE content. I personally enjoy both PvP and endgame PvE. I think the story aspect of this game is amazing. There simply needs to be more to do once you hit the lvl cap. RvR would be a huge step in the right direction IMO

Might I add that those of you who'd respond by saying "re-roll another character", let me remind you that many of us did NOT signup for this game to do just that.

It seems like re-rolling was one of BioWare intentions, but I have to say many of the people who left this game didn't want to do that. :p

It's a shame this game is PvE-centric because Star Wars revolves around RvR (or RvRvR).

Not during peacetime.

In this timeline, war has concluded, and there is a peace treaty in effect between factions. So, there are cold war skirmishes and conspiracies that fold well into the timeline, but not open faction-faction warfare.

As far as I am concerned, real PvP (yeah, I'm old school DAoC PvPer) must have faction level consequences/benefits to really thrive. Player based benefits/consequences only encourage the same old sanitized instanced set piece PvP that WoW has addicted half a generation of players to.

That said, I'm not even sure faction level incentives/benefits/consequences works anymore. TSW has factioned persistent PvP with benefits/consequences, yet it does not work all that well either. Yeah, the PvP has some flaws in mechanics, but all PvP does... so I honestly think it is more about player tastes now days. Player are not faction warriors, for the faction. They are mercenaries, out for what's in it for them, and you can't have good PvP in that sort of environment in any consistent manner. It's an arena PvP community these days IMO. They might as well just duel 1v1 or 2v2 IMO.

TL;DR: it largely does not matter what game producers do these days, PvPers are a mercenary lot, with no real care of loyalty to a faction. What they want is whatever gets them rewards for the least effort. There are exceptions of course in the players, but this behavior has come to dominate in the 5-6 years.

Edited by Andryah

the subscription model mmorpg as a whole is going the way of the dinosaur.

dont believe me?

look at THQ's Dark Millennium. investors were too scared to invest in a sub based mmo business model despite the potential and promise.

this game killed it for everyone.

the subscription model mmorpg as a whole is going the way of the dinosaur.

dont believe me?

look at THQ's Dark Millennium. investors were too scared to invest in a sub based mmo business model despite the potential and promise.

this game killed it for everyone.

That's a single player game...

Subs are dead for BAD games. The only people who don't believe in sub fees are bad MMO developers.

That's a single player game...

Subs are dead for BAD games. The only people who don't believe in sub fees are bad MMO developers.

lol, man that point went right over your head didnt it?

IT WAS A SUBBASED MMO UP UNTIL TWO MONTHS AGO.

they switched it to a single player with multiplayer element model because investors were too scared to invest in the original sub based mmorpg model.

lol, fanboi power is unlimited isnt it? you just didnt want to do research before you blindly defended swtor. . ..

they switched it to a single player with multiplayer element model because investors were too scared to invest in the original sub based mmorpg model.

lol, fanboi power is unlimited isnt it? you just didnt want to do research before you blindly defended swtor. . ..

You must not read these forums to accuse TUXs of being a fanboi. He is a conerned player who deftly (if not so subtlely) put a dig in against EAware. Not sure how you missed it. ;)

:cool:

Dark Millennium was announced as switching to a single player game 6 months ago, not 2 months ago.

It's a good bet that discussions that led up to that announcement started even earlier than that.

This wasn't some recent change.

Edited by Khevar

The resolve system has always worked completely fine for me. And once explained to my guildies it has always worked fine for them.

If you run off on your own your dead, no class should be able to take on multiple opponents. If you rush in to a class with lots of stuns on your own, again you will probably die. The resolve system tells you when you wont be CCed (sorry I have NEVER had it not work). This is critical for huttball for example where you can use it to time moves and when you should not run but pass.

I see players regally complaining about it after being killed, and they tried to cross the fire with no resolve, or ran into a large group on their own. I disagree that is not fit for purpose, players just don't understand it or think they should not be able to ever be stunned by other players.

No effective stuns (WoW system after what 2 stuns?) and stuns are irrelevant on PvP. Maybe they need to balance some of the PvP stuns better. I will say that, but they don't need to change resolve, if you use it well it is vastly beneficial.

You must not read these forums to accuse TUXs of being a fanboi. He is a conerned player who deftly (if not so subtlely) put a dig in against EAware. Not sure how you missed it. ;)

:cool:

So have I! :p

Did I mention... TUXs is like... one of my best friends here? :eek:

:rak_04:

I am not predicting total doom yet but it's amazing how many players who refuses to admit that this game has serious problems. I guess not everyone has been here from the beginning but I have and I've watched this game lose many, many players over the last year. Myself, I can barely find enough interest to log in-even after the latest patch. There's just never anything new to see. If you are a PVPer then you are really out of luck because all there is is a few warzones that are fun but not fun enough to take up all of the PVP action.

I am a big Star Wars fan and I am not cancelling but EA/BW needs to turn this game into an MMO already.

I am not predicting total doom yet but it's amazing how many players who refuses to admit that this game has serious problems. I guess not everyone has been here from the beginning but I have and I've watched this game lose many, many players over the last year. Myself, I can barely find enough interest to log in-even after the latest patch. There's just never anything new to see. If you are a PVPer then you are really out of luck because all there is is a few warzones that are fun but not fun enough to take up all of the PVP action.

I am a big Star Wars fan and I am not cancelling but EA/BW needs to turn this game into an MMO already.

It's a fair bet that the people defending the game are still having fun with it.

For myself, this is my first MMO so I don't really have anything else to compare it to. I will say that I still have fun, mostly because I've made friends playing the game and we still like to group up to do stuff. I suppose when I finish the last of my class quests there probably won't be as much of a pull for me to continue to log in.

The funny thing is, I installed Torchlight II recently and while it was fun, the combat was so simple I found myself missing my gunslinger.

Well to be fair they did many update and mini events, WOW didn't have a PVP system until 1.4 and didn't have a BG until 1.5. Of course the time is different.

The biggest problem of TOR is simple: People are getting tired of MMO, at least WOW alike MMO. Beside the story, the WZ, the FP and OPS are well designed but it's still WOW alike type. Once you finish the class story it's just another WOW, plus WOW is a much more mature game and already got strong fanbase, so people gave up on TOR.

Beside this, the only big problem of this game is just that Group Finder came out WAY too late.

Edited by Slowpokeking

It's not that TOR is a bad game. It is a lot of fun, it looks slick and has some great features. For me at least it just lacks the re-playability that good MMOs offer. The raids in this game are fun but they aren't all that challenging limiting their replay value. World PVP was the big sticking point for me. Even after they destroyed my original server and forced me onto a more populated one there was still no nightly PVP battles aside from the warzones. Warzones are fun for practice and gearing up but once a PVPer is geared they want to use the gear.

It's so disappointing to have a cool looking SW MMO and there are no big battles going on when there should be huge battles every night. I will be checking things out again this weekend and it is possible that improvements have been made but there just isn't enough going on every night to make me want to log on. Of course, these are my opinions and everyone feels differently about what they want in an MMO so YMMV. Still, I know I can 't be the only one on the fence feeling this way. Luckily, I can afford to pay for game accounts I rarely use but not everyone can.

So have I! :p

Did I mention... TUXs is like... one of my best friends here? :eek:

:rak_04:

Then tell him he still owes me a statue!! :eek:

Semi-related to the topic. I think patch 1.4 IS the Dark Path of SWTOR's downfall if they don't fix all the crap this patch broke. If this is what they consider to be a quality of life UPGRADE then Otherly Furred Martial Artists may win out. Just sayin'. :cool:

Then tell him he still owes me a statue!! :eek:

Semi-related to the topic. I think patch 1.4 IS the Dark Path of SWTOR's downfall if they don't fix all the crap this patch broke. If this is what they consider to be a quality of life UPGRADE then Otherly Furred Martial Artists may win out. Just sayin'. :cool:

Will do! :rak_04:

Not only was it more feature-heavy, but it just brought tons more bugs into the game. Now I realize that every new patch has it's issues, but it seems like the HeroEngine is just screwing the dev team over.

As a current fanboy of the game, I want things to turn around. As a current hater of this game I'm just seeing more and more bugs plaguing this game, and with each and every subsequent patch it seems like they just hinder this game's progress even further. Heck, even the Unsubscriber's Thread has even gotten more posts and it seems like more players have unsubbed or are on the verge of unsubbing. It's all really sad, but if this game manages to ever hold 100k+ subs that'll do it for me.

I'd really like for this game to be known as the "best MMO, after WoW" (because let's face it, this game won't be able to beat the mainstream that is WoW :p). Though this game is bleeding subs and is probably not gaining any new players, I'm eagerly awaiting F2P as I can only count on that for EAWare to turn this game around.

And LOL are your last sentence! :p

Edited by MOPSFounder

Will do! :rak_04:

Not only was it more feature-heavy, but it just brought tons more bugs into the game. Now I realize that every new patch has it's issues, but it seems like the HeroEngine is just screwing the dev team over.

As a current fanboy of the game, I want things to turn around. As a current hater of this game I'm just seeing more and more bugs plaguing this game, and with each and every subsequent patch it seems like they just hinder this game's progress even further. Heck, even the Unsubscriber's Thread has even gotten more posts and it seems like more players have unsubbed or are on the verge of unsubbing. It's all really sad, but if this game manages to ever hold 100k+ subs that'll do it for me.

I'd really like for this game to be known as the "best MMO, after WoW" (because let's face it, this game won't be able to beat the mainstream that is WoW :p). Though this game is bleeding subs and is probably not gaining any new players, I'm eagerly awaiting F2P as I can only count on that for EAWare to turn this game around.

And LOL are your last sentence! :p

I want SWTOR to succeed also, I too am both a "fanboi" and a "hater" at this point in time. The former because well it IS Star Wars, the latter mainly because of Patch 1.4 right now. TBH, Patch 1.4 motivated me to play my Hunter and my Rogue(s) last night instead of playing SWTOR. It was sorta surreal, it felt familiar and yet not so much. What I was struck by most when going to the new continent was how vast it seemed in just one area than most of the "planets" in this game. And that was just one area on one continent. So much to explore. Somehow it "felt" more Massive than SWTOR of late. I have to admit that a spark has been lit. Hmmm, all due to patch 1.4. Heh, Patch 1.4 may be the reason for me leaving SWTOR and going back to WoW full time. :cool:

I want SWTOR to succeed also, I too am both a "fanboi" and a "hater" at this point in time. The former because well it IS Star Wars, the latter mainly because of Patch 1.4 right now. TBH, Patch 1.4 motivated me to play my Hunter and my Rogue(s) last night instead of playing SWTOR. It was sorta surreal, it felt familiar and yet not so much. What I was struck by most when going to the new continent was how vast it seemed in just one area than most of the "planets" in this game. And that was just one area on one continent. So much to explore. Somehow it "felt" more Massive than SWTOR of late. I have to admit that a spark has been lit. Hmmm, all due to patch 1.4. Heh, Patch 1.4 may be the reason for me leaving SWTOR and going back to WoW full time. :cool:

Even if you go back to WoW, remember to visit these forums from time to time. I like your posts, they're always interesting.

Even if you go back to WoW, remember to visit these forums from time to time. I like your posts, they're always interesting.

Thanks. :) I can front the sub just to post on the forums, which has of late has become my favorite part of "playing" SWTOR. :D

Edited by Urael

Interesting posts, my friend!

I think one thing the devs should NOT do is add new planets. Instead, they should greatly add "[Heroic]" planet expansions for all planets that they've made. I remember seeing a post from the SWTOR Facebook page saying: "Which is your favorite planet to explore?" I was so confused, because thinking about it I had no favorite planet to explore at all. Even planets like Belsavis felt so enclosed and I liked the environment and all, but it didn't feel immersible.

They're planning on adding Makeb, but the exploration of that planet may end somewhere like all the other ones. I have not been impressed with ANY of the planets whatsoever—especially Coruscant, since I happen to be from NYC. :(