your mats/ no fee?

Przemo_No

Hey,

maybe noob question, but what actually happens when someone screams out long in general chat "advanced something hilt/barrel/mod 27, no fee, your mats.."

Then am I supposed to send him those mats and he will craft the item for me at no fee and send back to me?

I hardly believe in that, what would be the purpose of it?

Then am I supposed to send him those mats and he will craft the item for me at no fee and send back to me?

Often they'll already have the item in stock so you'll give the mats and receive the item in a single transaction. But essentially yes.

They're hoping to get a crit, which results in two items and allows them to sell the other on the GTN. I don't remember the exact crit chance, but I think it's around 15-20%. If you're selling the items for 2 million, this translates to 300k-400k profit per crafted item on average.

i have actually never tried something like that, being obviously cautious for possible cheats..

If you're afraid of the crafter making off with your mats, look for one who has the item pre-crafted. Then you can use the secure trade feature and receive the item at the same time you give the mats, with no possibility of cheating.

Often they'll already have the item in stock so you'll give the mats and receive the item in a single transaction. But essentially yes.

They're hoping to get a crit, which results in two items and allows them to sell the other on the GTN. I don't remember the exact crit chance, but I think it's around 15-20%. If you're selling the items for 2 million, this translates to 300k-400k profit per crafted item on average.

If we're talking about Cybertech, it's a bit more than that. Those crafts have a 10% base crit chance, plus 5% from 10k affection from companion, plus 5% from the legacy droid part, plus the legacy perk for another 3%. So for armorings and mods is 23%

Hey,

maybe noob question, but what actually happens when someone screams out long in general chat "advanced something hilt/barrel/mod 27, no fee, your mats.."

You don't send the mats to them, you find them on the fleet/planet and trade the item for the materials. I've heard of people saying they lost their mats and didn't get the item when they mailed it to the person that was crafting. So always make sure the person has the item on hand before trading.

As previously mentioned, when it crits, it's PURE profit. If you are able to make the first one, and then trade it for more mats, all you make after that don't cost you anything and any and all crits from then on are just free credits. It's not a bad gig if you can get the RE'd schematics in the first place.

I've also seen people spamming the same deal for earpieces and implants, though less frequently. THAT one I don't understand as crits on those = augment slots, not extra units to sell.

You don't send the mats to them, you find them on the fleet/planet and trade the item for the materials. I've heard of people saying they lost their mats and didn't get the item when they mailed it to the person that was crafting. So always make sure the person has the item on hand before trading.

or just actually look up who is a trustworthy trader and then you don't have to bother with f2f trading. Believe it or not, most people out there spamming what they craft will not screw you over and most likely ruin their business forever just to keep your mats worth a million credits.

Yes, I've not come across an untrustworthy crafter yet on my server. It would be very difficult to make any sensible gain if you tried to cheat people out of mats as they would surely spam their name all over general for doing so.

Yes, I've not come across an untrustworthy crafter yet on my server. It would be very difficult to make any sensible gain if you tried to cheat people out of mats as they would surely spam their name all over general for doing so.

You would be surprised how often players get ripped off and never say a word (probably due to embarrassment). Yes, they will submit a CS ticket to try to get their money/mats back, but I have been playing MMOs for a long time, and have never seen any general chatter regarding someone ripping another person off.

Getting back on topic, like others have said, trade mats for a finished product and you will be fine.

Most of my business is done through mail.

There is zero risk if doing it this way if you get ripped off just send a petition to get your mats back and the person will be suspened or banned.

In the year or so playing this game i have seen a couple instances with people in general claiming they got ripped off and usually it was from a guild mate that was robbing the whole guild.

Ripping someone off from mats only does one thing ......get no more mats from them or prob anyone ever again.

edited for clarity and pulled a response i found to be wrong.

but as to the critting of the item, doesnt the person who gave the mats actually is entitled to the critted item too if the mats were used in the making of the item he received which critted? specifically if there was no agreement made one way or the other prior to making the item. just asking the question and am curious as to the rational of some answers to this. personally i dont care one way or another as i dont craft on consignment. but it is something to think about.

Edited by uniz

legacy perk is for augment slots only. please let me know when this was changed to additional items too.

but as to the critting of the item, doesnt the person who gave the mats actually is entitled to the critted item too if the mats were used in the making of the item he received which critted? specifically if there was no agreement made one way or the other prior to making the item. just asking the question and am curious as to the rational of some answers to this. personally i dont care one way or another as i dont craft on consignment. but it is something to think about.

You probably come from WoW where that debate has been long fought without a real resolution...

In a game like WoW where a player can give another player materials and 10 seconds later get an item there is more strength to that argument. But even then, it really all depends on the two players who agree to work together. there are a myriad of possible agreements too numerous to list here. Suffice it to say that the two participants have to agree to the terms. Personally, I had too many bad experiences with players wanting me to craft stuff for them. Which is why I focused my efforts to acquiring my own materials, crafting stuff, and selling it on the auction house.

In a game like SWTOR where crafting high level items takes an hour or more, the overwhelming majority of the time players with materials are trading those materials for an already completed finished good; an "even swap" as it were. What the crafter player does with those materials is beyond the scope of the player with the materials needs to know; especially when there is no fee involved. But again, it boils down to what the players are willing to agree to. If you, as the materials player, is willing to trade/send those materials to a crafter and wait a long time to get the finished good and the crafter is willing to give you back whatever results are generated...good for you. But you materials player will have to trust the crafter player enough to accept what he gives you as the results of crafting with your materials. Not so easy with strangers.

Crafting for guildmates is a COMPLETELY different set of circumstances. They have the materials, you have the recipe/schematic. You are supposed to be friendly; you can trust your guildmate. So sending materials to be crafted into a finished good, a guildmate should give all the crafted results.

Edited by psandak

Why would you get the additional item? It is implied in the "free" crafting part that a crit belongs to the cafter. Otherwise they'd charge a large fee for the crafting.

You can get a 25% chance to crit, 15 base/10 for orange items. Guessing at lvl 400 they are all yellow to craft.

I'd have to agree that most crafters are trustworthy. Although, there are some people who are a bit too trusting.

About a month ago I finished a weekly Op with a PUG. I got back to fleet and advertised what I could craft for people. I got a tell from someone I just raided with (never met them before) saying they needed me to make a ton of mods for them. I was thinking 2 or maybe 3 but I met him over at the guild bank and was absolutely shocked when he opened trade. He put up 72 stabilizers, 72 mandalorian iron, 108 durasteel, and 108 zal alloy. He wanted 18 mods! This was from someone who I had 'known' in an op for maybe a half hour.

If we're talking about Cybertech, it's a bit more than that. Those crafts have a 10% base crit chance, plus 5% from 10k affection from companion, plus 5% from the legacy droid part, plus the legacy perk for another 3%. So for armorings and mods is 23%

This is where you sometimes hate the RNG. Of those 18 mods above, I crit on only TWO of them. :(

Why would you get the additional item? It is implied in the "free" crafting part that a crit belongs to the cafter. Otherwise they'd charge a large fee for the crafting.

You can get a 25% chance to crit, 15 base/10 for orange items. Guessing at lvl 400 they are all yellow to craft.

Hence the many years long debate. there is a school of thought - my mats, my results. I am NOT saying I agree, in fact I don't. And you are correct that because of the "free" crafting aspect you would think that the material provider would be happy getting one finished good he could not normally get, but this is not always the case.

I didn't have a single crit for the last 12-15 armorings I've crafted. My buddy who is approximately doing the same amount of transactions as me usually crits at least 2 times a day.

RNG is a b****. Believe me when I tell you that your friend's results will average out eventually. I know because there was a period of time when every night as I logged out I would send companions on grade 6 slicing missions and the next day they 3 of 4 would come back with a crit - ANAs AND two schematics was common. In the last month, I have gotten ONE crit. Not complaining because I am still above the curve over the long haul.

You probably come from WoW where that debate has been long fought without a real resolution...

In a game like WoW where a player can give another player materials and 10 seconds later get an item there is more strength to that argument. But even then, it really all depends on the two players who agree to work together. there are a myriad of possible agreements too numerous to list here. Suffice it to say that the two participants have to agree to the terms. Personally, I had too many bad experiences with players wanting me to craft stuff for them. Which is why I focused my efforts to acquiring my own materials, crafting stuff, and selling it on the auction house.

In a game like SWTOR where crafting high level items takes an hour or more, the overwhelming majority of the time players with materials are trading those materials for an already completed finished good; an "even swap" as it were. What the crafter player does with those materials is beyond the scope of the player with the materials needs to know; especially when there is no fee involved. But again, it boils down to what the players are willing to agree to. If you, as the materials player, is willing to trade/send those materials to a crafter and wait a long time to get the finished good and the crafter is willing to give you back whatever results are generated...good for you. But you materials player will have to trust the crafter player enough to accept what he gives you as the results of crafting with your materials. Not so easy with strangers.

Crafting for guildmates is a COMPLETELY different set of circumstances. They have the materials, you have the recipe/schematic. You are supposed to be friendly; you can trust your guildmate. So sending materials to be crafted into a finished good, a guildmate should give all the crafted results.

no i came from eq1 and eq2 where crafting was far more involved and complicated. where you had a chance of failure and rare materials HAD to be harvested or mobs killed by yourself as some were no-trade (bop). also you had to physically craft and not click a button then go afk or send a companion out. there was a mechanic in place to make bop items which require you to meet the player at a crafting station and both of you had to be there. god forbid if you failed on the combine and wasted the materials. cant fail in this game. dont have to go anywhere either. just summon a mail droid and send your companion out and continue on with what you are doing.

but your answer is what i anticipated when you differentiate between guildies and non guildies. that is ok as in this game far too many people have 26/27 schematics where reputation plays very little of a role. i also understand the trusting part as i have been playing these mmos for over 12 years. i too would do the swap thing if i didn't have so many schematics. but i dont advertise on fleet to make this or that. i only make items for the gtn and guildies. you did comment about making a agreement prior to the crafting which i am in favor of and have always done over the years. it eliminates a lot of potential problems that can come up. but many people dont do this so i asked the question specifically without such agreements. i am more interested in peoples responses to what i said about crits and reasons for it. also i was unaware blizzard had a similar mechanic and would have not made the post if this was known.

thank you for your response

I'd always been nervous about people advertising the service in gen chat, so I never availed myself of it.

I only gave mats to crafters in exchange for gear when I actually knew the player personally.

Oddly enough, now that I've done some end-game crafting myself, I've had a few people see the items I list on the GTN, /friend me, and then whisper when I'm online if I'd be willing to do a mats/gear trade. I've never advertised in gen chat for the service though.

Our guild started the free crafting on Red Eclipse and we have seen a huge influx of orders for the stuff we do. This forced most of the server to go free crafting as well and pushed the prices down overall in a long term. There can be some debate whether it is good or not, but we are recognized as trustworthy crafters as a guild.

The point I wanted to make - I cannot afford to break people's trust if they order something. With about 20-50 orders a day I rarely do direct trading or have many stuff ready made, it would drive me crazy to the point I could not play the game anymore for all the time needed for trading alone.

For the OP - play it the way you feel more safe. Direct trade is the safest way to go. I can also vouch for finding a trusted crafter (reputation, server forums etc.) and sticking with him.

Critswise I agree with the concept of giving crits to the guildies / close friends only. First I cannot really tell who got which crit in all the volume I craft so it would not be fair and second I consider it a payment for the time and effort invested into the job.

EDIT: I craft the earpieces for free also for the reason of helping the guys who need them and for the marketing purpose as well. The volume is not that high so no big deal here.

Edited by Rest_in_Pieces

no i came from eq1 and eq2 where crafting was far more involved and complicated. where you had a chance of failure and rare materials HAD to be harvested or mobs killed by yourself as some were no-trade (bop). also you had to physically craft and not click a button then go afk or send a companion out. there was a mechanic in place to make bop items which require you to meet the player at a crafting station and both of you had to be there. god forbid if you failed on the combine and wasted the materials. cant fail in this game. dont have to go anywhere either. just summon a mail droid and send your companion out and continue on with what you are doing.

but your answer is what i anticipated when you differentiate between guildies and non guildies. that is ok as in this game far too many people have 26/27 schematics where reputation plays very little of a role. i also understand the trusting part as i have been playing these mmos for over 12 years. i too would do the swap thing if i didn't have so many schematics. but i dont advertise on fleet to make this or that. i only make items for the gtn and guildies. you did comment about making a agreement prior to the crafting which i am in favor of and have always done over the years. it eliminates a lot of potential problems that can come up. but many people dont do this so i asked the question specifically without such agreements. i am more interested in peoples responses to what i said about crits and reasons for it. also i was unaware blizzard had a similar mechanic and would have not made the post if this was known.

thank you for your response

Oh I played EQ1 as well, so I remember all too well that chance of failure :). It especially sucked when you failed twice or three times in a row (a rare occurrence, but it did happen). And I remember having to wait in line to kill pixies to get a material for Halas Meat Pies because it was a no trade (BoP) item (luckily one drop was enough to make a LOT of Halas Meat Pies). What I disliked about the guild hall in EQ1 was that it had all the crafting stations (oven, distillery, loom, etc) but no vendors to buy vendor only materials. So you went out to PoK to buy the materials and the crafting stations were there too so why bother going back to the guild hall?:rolleyes:

As for WoW's similar mechanic...In WoW the alchemy crafting profession had a mastery system where the player chooses a mastery: potions, elixirs/flasks, or transmutation. And while the mastery did not restrict what the alchemist could make (a transmutation master could also make potions, elixirs, and flasks), if the alchemist crafted within his mastery there was a 15% (locked in) chance of generating 1 to 4 extras of that item. Further, a lot of the transmutation recipes were in a linked 24 hour cooldown; you could do one of about a dozen transmutes and all would be locked out for the duration of the cooldown. So it was quite common for players to "sell" their one transmute each day. And the potential for extras was a hotbed of debate as to who got what. The eventual consensus was that the players involved had to come to an agreement before the transaction and there were a LOT of variations. Even so, there were many times when extras were generated and one player tried to rip off the other.

Our guild started the free crafting on Red Eclipse and we have seen a huge influx of orders for the stuff we do. This forced most of the server to go free crafting as well and pushed the prices down overall in a long term. There can be some debate whether it is good or not, but we are recognized as trustworthy crafters as a guild.

The point I wanted to make - I cannot afford to break people's trust if they order something. With about 20-50 orders a day I rarely do direct trading or have many stuff ready made, it would drive me crazy to the point I could not play the game anymore for all the time needed for trading alone.

For the OP - play it the way you feel more safe. Direct trade is the safest way to go. I can also vouch for finding a trusted crafter (reputation, server forums etc.) and sticking with him.

Critswise I agree with the concept of giving crits to the guildies / close friends only. First I cannot really tell who got which crit in all the volume I craft so it would not be fair and second I consider it a payment for the time and effort invested into the job.

EDIT: I craft the earpieces for free also for the reason of helping the guys who need them and for the marketing purpose as well. The volume is not that high so no big deal here.

Me to I even got reported once because it failed and I lost everything and I had just warned the player he may lose all his mats etc it failed he reported me the rest you can guess ...

I've also seen people spamming the same deal for earpieces and implants, though less frequently. THAT one I don't understand as crits on those = augment slots, not extra units to sell.

It's a bit of work, but I guess it could make money. Make item yourself without augment slot. Have someone send you mats and hope to score a critical. Give the one without the augment to person. RE the augmented one and sell the augment slot components. It's small cash, but it could work.

It's a bit of work, but I guess it could make money. Make item yourself without augment slot. Have someone send you mats and hope to score a critical. Give the one without the augment to person. RE the augmented one and sell the augment slot components. It's small cash, but it could work.

I suppose I could see some people doing that, and it certainly IS a valid explanation that I can understand, but it just 'feels' wrong to me. Seeing as how the tier 6 augment slot is really only worth ~60k.....I wouldn't think it would be worth it.