Crafted gear and pvp

omaan

News about crafting new tier gear is pretty frustrating for players like me who only play pvp in this game... devs i really hope you are not planning to force pure pvp players to run operations, difficult time-consuming quests or other non-pvp content to get either materials or recipes. Forcing to play content players doesnt want never worked and only led to unsub. Edited by omaan

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I agree with this sentiment.

I never run ops or even FPs. I am a 100% PVPer. If I have to do this for gears, and there's no other way for me to gear up I won't stick around.

I refuse to bend my playstyle if that means doing activities I do not enjoy, and I have never enjoyed PVE on this game.

They can incorporate PVP activities so that they too allow players to gear up. I know they had mentioned before possibly bringing expertise back, so who knows, maybe that will also be added along with PVP viable gearing on top of a PVE viable gearing method.

Or, maybe they will just make it so ranked PVP is a gearing route... But again, I never cared much for 4v4 if I have to do that to gear I probably won't stick around long. Another reason to consider 8v8 ranked if they decide to make ranked a part of the tier 5 gearing system.

Edited by Lhancelot

and people wonder why we want our PvP gear back...

making PvPers go out and do all sorts of PvE stuff is just stupid, then on top of that possibly have to level a new crafting skill just to get gear aimed at the new raid difficulty but will eventually find its way into PvP gimping pure PvP players is just stupid, who ever came up with this idea clearly doesn't play the same game as we do.

Then ofc the mats will get dumped in ranked PvP probably solo ranked as well as teams, ruining the queue again, and since its shorter seasons again, you'll get put with cluless dummy bashers who want their shiny new mats to get gear so they can do more parsing whilst moving out of red circles.

Edited by benmas

News about crafting new tier gear is pretty frustrating for players like me who only play pvp in this game... devs i really hope you are not planning to force pure pvp players to run operations, difficult time-consuming quests or other non-pvp content to get either materials or recipes. Forcing to play content players doesnt want never worked and only led to unsub.

For once Omaan, we are in lock step and I agree 100%. We often disagree because we have different ideas on how to make pvp better and our passion for it causes us to argue. But I fully support what you are saying and I can see how much it would negatively affect pvp if there isn’t a seperate system for pvpers.

I really hope Bioware have a plan. If they don’t, I hope they will listen to the communities feed back and put something in place or it will probably drive more people from the game.

I didn't see the LIvestream but this is what Dulfy's recap says

"Tier 5 Gear. All Tier 5 gear will be crafted, no detail to reveal yet. We know you got strong opinions about it. Expect to be part of the rewards for master mode operations.

Yep, PvP'ers get shafted.

Mm ops.... jesus christ.. Never done even a story mode operation, but having three 2k+ rated characters in ranked in previous season, played many regular warzones, have elite warlord on few characters and now will have to do pve... Well i always wanted to try guild wars 2. Thx devs for opportunity. This is really crap happening since it looks like they need to have statistics for Ea masters that everyone participates in all types of their "exciting" content and that game is active TM

don't get the Bioware need to release a new tier gear with a craft mechanic... current gear is fine... why just not focus on new planet/story/cosmetic gear and leave it the current tier 4 as end top gear....

About tier 5, Bioware should refer community before any initiative !

Well they havent said anything official yet! I was also looking forward to using the Tens of thousands Unassembled Components I have collecting dust in my Legacy bank, but........ oh well....

The system there is now actually favors PVPers as they get a lot of Components from doing ranked and can quickly get 248 gear. Yes, Master mode operations give a lot of UCs as well (if you run a Scum and Villany Master mode you get up to 1000 components). If you play it smart and finish group ranked on more toons you are looking at thousands of UCs per week, enough to gear up a toon from 0 to 248.

I am pretty sure they will make a system which is fair for both sides, remember that ever since Keith took over they have been listening to players and making the necessary changes.

Ok my brain is throwing a loop here.

IF crafting is the only way to get ALL of top gear now, here is what happens: GC grind is suddenly obsolete, Unassembled Tokens are suddenly obsolete, Raiders like me become rich and pvp-gearing turns into mats and/or money grind instead (I imagine gold sellers look real tempting right now) to feed the raiders.

I truly hope this is not the only way of gearing they had in mind because this is in not a good idea no matter how you look at it at this stage.

While I am happy we finally get something of actual value out of MM raids (they've literally had no point since they only drop UT), making it the only way to gear is a clod slap in the face for half of the player-base.

And we really don't even need a new tear of gear in the first place, unless they're planning on making Gods MM so hard you literally need a new tear of gear just for that one ops.

Edited by Kiesu

I was a little surprised as well at the announcement, because unless there's a GC component/requirement to gearing out to TL5, GC is dead, dead, dead. If there is, that seems like it'll be an artificial grind.

As someone who's observed more than once that crafting is mostly pointless for casuals like me except for the cosmetics and for adrenals (which really aren't all that necessary for casuals); I gotta say putting endgame gear on it isn't the way to go.

The way I'd do it, if the mandate came down that T5 gear must be crafted, is to put mats in PvP and expect PvPers to sell or trade the mats for gear. Which is, essentially, what happens today with UC, only you're not selling it to other players, so there isn't a "market price." In theory, no changes. In practice, well, the SWTOR GTN economy is, to be charitable, a steaming pile of banthas full of people who can't actually properly price their way out of a paper bag.

At reading that tier 5 was going to be craftable I applauded the thought process on getting crafter more involved in the game , but I think it’s a really bad idea to do this. Having made GC and having the playerbase apt to the system weather they liked it or not to now basically make it useless and alienate you’re PVPERS and casual playerbase seems just plain wrong. It also put thing in a direction of P2W IMO cause having to buy the gear off the market it only going to cause people to want to buy credits for farmers, when the prices become ridiculously high and simply bloat the market. What I would suggest to do is just put a tier 5 vendor on fleet that sells the barrels, hilts, armoring, mods and enchainments and have them cost some mats you get now from GC box’s plus some UNAC. This would make it so people that don’t feel that their forced to change their play style and still be able to achieve the gear they want. Just food for thought .

Casuals won't need T5 gear; but PvPers will. IF the game had baked in having to buy stuff from outside your character from the beginning, that'd be one thing, but the player baser has been trained that "crafting doesn't matter."

I hope the transition works, but I'm afraid it won't.

Ok my brain is throwing a loop here.

IF crafting is the only way to get ALL of top gear now, here is what happens: GC grind is suddenly obsolete, Unassembled Tokens are suddenly obsolete, Raiders like me become rich and pvp-gearing turns into mats and/or money grind instead (I imagine gold sellers look real tempting right now) to feed the raiders.

I truly hope this is not the only way of gearing they had in mind because this is in not a good idea no matter how you look at it at this stage.

While I am happy we finally get something of actual value out of MM raids (they've literally had no point since they only drop UT), making it the only way to gear is a clod slap in the face for half of the player-base.

And we really don't even need a new tear of gear in the first place, unless they're planning on making Gods MM so hard you literally need a new tear of gear just for that one ops.

I can't find any logic here... as a full dedicated pvp player i will farm best gear through pve for USING IT ONLY IN PVP. I mean why should i play pve to get mats/recipes if i will use the gear i farm for ONLY IN PVP and will stop playing pve after i get the needed gear lol... And how the heck they are going to explain pvp guilds running pve to get mats/recipes for gear instead of playing content for which these guilds were created for....

Casuals won't need T5 gear; but PvPers will. IF the game had baked in having to buy stuff from outside your character from the beginning, that'd be one thing, but the player baser has been trained that "crafting doesn't matter."

I hope the transition works, but I'm afraid it won't.

Even casuals will "need" it...everyone "needs" top tier gear. It's expected after a certain amount of time and it provides a boost that people, especially casual players, typically need.

Even casuals will "need" it...everyone "needs" top tier gear. It's expected after a certain amount of time and it provides a boost that people, especially casual players, typically need.

Casuals need "set bonus" gear, bet even for TEC and HSF, I don't really think BiS gear gives enough of a boost.. I guess I'm a bit more than casual these days just from being as grizzzled a vet as I am; but I really haven't seen THAT much of a difference in play of TEC and HSF between the old 208 PvP gear and the tier 3-ish gear my highest alt is sporting.

Casuals want[]/i] the big numbers, but they aren't going to do the research necessary to find out what BiS is anyway, so they're stuck with the usually-inefficient stat spreads the default gearing gives. Casuals would be better off grinding up presence and influence than hunting BiS once they have a 6-piece gear bonus. It's a shame that there's no good in-game resources to tell you how to grind up presence (datacrons, companion story completion bonuses, correlian cocktails, etc. )

Idk about casuals but ranked pvp players definitely will need it. And farming mats, recipes in mm operations while all you plan to do is pvp sounds frustrating and time-consuming. First dumb rng grind, now forcing certain types of content. Next stage we will have to buy gear from CM if we want to be competitive in ranked. It is already looks like p2w since pvp players will have to spend tonnes of credits buying recipes, mats or ready gear if they want to engage into ranked Fast and shortly. Otherwise they will have to spend tonnes of time running content they dont like, fighting for mats and recipes. Meh..'

Swtor's "roadmap" leads to sub quits, death of different types of content, therefore - death of swtor itself

Edited by omaan

I don't really think BiS gear gives enough of a boost..

I read a post from a regular forumite yesterday that claimed tier 3 gear was required to run the Iokath storyline and flashpoints. Required for her obviously. So it does give some folks the boost they need to get over the (lack of) skill hump.

Edited by kodrac

I read a post from a regular forumite yesterday that claimed tier 3 gear was required to run the Iokath storyline and flashpoints. Required for her obviously. So it does give some folks the boost they need to get over the (lack of) skill hump.

I won't say she didn't need it, but I wonder if her time would have been better spent improving companion performance.

My wife is an enthusiastic player of the game, but barely above the "spam whatever powers are fun" level of player. She's completed all "story" stuff between Ord Mantell and the Nathema Conspiracy on a Gunslinger using whatever gear has dropped on the way; plus duoed every almost flashpoint with me in Veteran Mode. I doubt she can do TEC by herself and I know she can't handle HSF end bosses, but the story stuff has been clearable.

The single most important thing to do in this game for solo performance is boot presence (datacrons and story achievements) and companion influence (gifts), and then put your companion on Heal; which lets you ignore a majority of the mechanics in boss fights that aren't TEC or a handful of HSF where you need DPS to keep ahead of the archon self-heals. The second most important thing is to not let yourself get mobbed by, well, mobs.

The problem with having an entire tier of BiS gear that is only available through crafting means that BW is gambling that the suppliers (crafters) will always, for the rest of the life of the game, be able to meet demand.

I've read more than one post in this thread so far where someone claims not to be a crafter. If the number of non-crafters outstrips the number of crafters, forget the supply of credits or how to acquire them.

Where's all this gear coming from?

Edited by xordevoreaux

If I can do all SM content in this game naked, casuals really don't need T5 gear. You absolutely don't even need current top-bis gear to do hard-mode content. I'd like to hear what casuals need BIS gear for, if they're not doing anything that requires it.

If I can do all SM content in this game naked, casuals really don't need T5 gear. You absolutely don't even need current top-bis gear to do hard-mode content. I'd like to hear what casuals need BIS gear for, if they're not doing anything that requires it.

Exactly, what's this "expectation" Tux cites? Just be expected to walk around in it? Sure don't need it for PVE.