Slicing post-nerf, please look at the numbers BW

Renifizzle

GTN price is NOT irrelevant because instead of running the mission for those Scavenging materials, you might have been able to simply buy them off the GTN for less money.

If that were the case, you didn't "gain" scavenging materials, you just lost money.

Anyway, most of the discussion in this thread is irrelevant now anyway as we've already been told:

I disagree. One gives materials, one takes away a little money. The "value" of the material is not based off the GTN. You could base it on the price of the final products, the artifact equipment, mods, etc. You could base if off vendor price. You could base the value off the fact that your character and companions can USE the stuff you make with it, called "value added". GTN prices vary greatly from server to server based on server population, age, and general supply/demand. Rank 6 missions will still cost the same, and still provide mission cost give or take 200 credits, favoring the take it seems for most people (I get that information from tracking this thread and its predecessors, so it's not me making stuff up). If there are no materials on the GTN, and you get some from a mission, that's a win.

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GTN prices vary greatly from server to server based on server population, age, and general supply/demand.

Yet you're ignoring the profit you can make from selling mission schematics you get from slicing missions for the EXACT same reason.

Your argument contradicts itself.

Yet you're ignoring the profit you can make from selling mission schematics you get from slicing missions for the EXACT same reason.

Schematics? I have yet to find a server with a GTN that isnt FLOODED with schematics from slicing. I was never able to sell schematics for much more than 5% profit.

I guess you mean mission discoveries. Those are rare. If you want to compare the money made from mission schematics, you should compare it with crit results from all other crafts.

I started Slicing lately with my alts, and I got sick then stopped playing that alt thoroughly.

If I have a 100% success for every mission, I will earn like 10% in total. However, one failures make you lose 100% for that cost and it happened that I failed 5 missions in a row.

No one would want to play this. Forget it. It is a joke. I would say these programmers need to study mathematics from their primary schools.

Don't expect orange missions to be profitable. In any crafting skill that has missions.

From my modest testing and using of this crew skill.

Slicing is only consistently profitable when calculated with open world gathering. Sitting in the fleet running missions tends to be profitable when running with very high affection companions.

Any Cybertech recipe is vendor fodder, Investigation missions are too often returned thus weekends tend to sell better sometimes I have to relist them a few times.

Underworld Trading is used by 3 professions, this is pure gold.

Grade 6 Blue Metal from Underworld Trading sells for about about 1k each, purple grade 6 sell for about 5k each. Running Underwold Trading missions instead of Slicing I make more money doing UT missions (Cloth doesn't sell that great, it comes in spurts) companion gifts are between 5k for blue and 10k for purple.

So, I picked up slicing at the beginning because I did it in the beta. I loved it then and, even though it's not putting out as much as it was, I'm making a huge profit. I'm only level 24 on the slicing toon and I have 140k creds and I've been spending loads on cybertech and several other things, while funding my wife's armormech powerleveling, etc. I'm 400 slicing and have been for a while and it's not "breaking even" in the slightest. There are spreadsheets all around that are showing profits and I'm just assuming the people complaining are getting unlucky. Especially considering the bulk of people are admitting actual profits elsewhere. I'm assuming also that the people complaining are only doing yellow missions or ones that don't turn enough of a profit.

I'm doing azure databanks, taking back control, finding our way, be careful what you read, and am currently parsing the others. I'm not falling into a deficit in the slightest. I'm currently creating an old fashioned spreadsheet and will translate it from my notebook to my computer sometime soon to prove my data. This is before mission sales and I'm not high enough level on this toon to farm Ilum or anywhere else profitable yet. I don't even have all of my companions on him to go out and slice, only 2 and I'm still making a decent profit. I know that the second I get risha and bowdaar my profits will soar even higher and will continue my spreadsheet with them in comparison. This is also not counting mission sales.

Personally, I don't really care if anyone believes me or the others that are posting here showing profits, or the many spreadsheets showing large profits. I know I'm very comfortable and will continue to be in my projections for a long time to come. (especially with the 1.2 slicing additions).

Edited by LokiFlux

• 2 weeks later...
Remember your design goals BW, slicing is a mission skill for non-crafters. It is a way for them to utilize the crew skills to make money or get gear without entering the crafting world. This skill is no longer profitable as a mission skill..

I could have sworn this was a gathering profession. In fact, nothing in the codex entry implies this is a mission crew skill, quite the opposite actually. Let me go see the Slicing trainer... Yep, <Gathering Trainer> tag...

Not profitable? Are you telling me that when you find a Slicing node, you aren't instantly making profit? You are literally picking up credits.

Sounds to me like you just want to be able to send out 5 people on their own mission, then walk away from your PC while you reap the effort-free rewards. How about you go and do what the crew skill is about. GATHER.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
When I sent my companions on missions with moderate and abundant yield, the is alway a bigger gain in money. Bountiful and rich yields give me more schematics but most time I lose money.

Thats what I have seen so far.

So I'm sending my crew on moderate and abundant and hope they don't fail. But the gain is still very low. I guess it's 5 to 15%.

Slicing on field give a lot, tho! When my friend and me are playing, I have way more credits after a few hours.

Like Scavenging/Bio Analysis/etc it's not worth sending the crew for lockboxes. Better to use these skills while questing.

That is what i have noticed in my slicing missions.

Moderate and Abundant give more profit or more higher chance for profit, while the rich, bountiful and even the special mission prosperious yields are a waste of credits unless you get a ultra mega crit and i mean the GREAT, GREAT, great grandmother of all crits.

I think they nerfed it a bit too much, i don't want to spend 1000cr and get 2000cr back or anything like that, but i want it to not be like spending 1000cr, only to get 400cr back...thats just bad and needs fixing.

Besides, all these credits are good for are repair bills and skill learnings, crafters don't put stuff on the GTN unless its VERY profitable for them, otherwise they just don't bother, from experience, its just near impossible to gear up your character and your companion(s) unless you have a friend that is happy to craft your gear/mods for you or you become a crafter yourself.

Right now, its be a crafter, have a friend that crafts or be a severely screwed player, i don't think bioware thought about this situation much, they assumed players would help their community out, but they failed to think about how lazy and greedy crafters will be, hell they even cried about slicers making more money then them, in the end, it was greed.

• 2 weeks later...

Besides, all these credits are good for are repair bills and skill learnings, crafters don't put stuff on the GTN unless its VERY profitable for them, otherwise they just don't bother, from experience, its just near impossible to gear up your character and your companion(s) unless you have a friend that is happy to craft your gear/mods for you or you become a crafter yourself.

Right now, its be a crafter, have a friend that crafts or be a severely screwed player, i don't think bioware thought about this situation much, they assumed players would help their community out, but they failed to think about how lazy and greedy crafters will be, hell they even cried about slicers making more money then them, in the end, it was greed.

From a personal perspective I have also noted that Slicing 'Missions' are No Longer Profitable.

In fact I would say I'm actually making a loss now.

Open world Slicing is, obviously, still profitable, but I could just as easily gather Crystals/Metals/Plants & sell those on the GTN & probably make more profit. Thus, on a personal note, I would say that today (22nd April 2012) Slicing is simply NOT Profitable & thus a 'Dud' skill.

As for the above quote, my GTN barely has anything on it, except perhaps level 50 stuff. Levelling up the GTN is practically useless. I am on a quite decent population server too. Therefore it is far better & makes more sense to DROP SLICING & pick up something more useful - Armtech, Armormech ... something you can use yourself or perhaps or perhaps make gear for the GTN & make money filling the void.

As for gaining 'missions' from Slicing to sell on GTN, you can do that with ANY mission skill, not just slicing.

As far as I am concerned, Slicing is an embarrassment for BioWare, & they obviously wish they'd never released it. No doubt, in the future, they will remove it from game - they have practically rendered it quite useless now & thus it is only a matter of time before it is removed.

As for gearing up your characters & their Companions, their intention has quite obviously failed, the GTN is 99% level 50 gear & thus they will have to make one of two possible changes.

(1) Reduce the overall difficulty of the game to compensate for poorly geared players or

(2) Remove/renovate the crafting system & put the gear on npc Vendors instead so players can gear up their characters & companions.

The only way at present to gear up whilst Levelling is to create one character for each crafting skill, so you can make your own gear ... this is the route I am taking.

Star Wars: The Old Republic is in danger of becoming an 'End-Game-Centric' game.

From a personal perspective I have also noted that Slicing 'Missions' are No Longer Profitable.

In fact I would say I'm actually making a loss now.

Open world Slicing is, obviously, still profitable, but I could just as easily gather Crystals/Metals/Plants & sell those on the GTN & probably make more profit. Thus, on a personal note, I would say that today (22nd April 2012) Slicing is simply NOT Profitable & thus a 'Dud' skill.

Hello, Katarine!

Just to help bring you up to speed, there has been an update to the issues surrounding Slicing since the release of Game Update 1.2, and work is currently underway to correct them.

Hey all, thank you for reports into this issue. We escalated this to the development team and after investigation, got confirmation that this was a bug.

It's being worked on now and a fix should be rolled out in a future patch. In the meantime, it'll be added to our known issues list.

Hope this helps!

I'm glad the premium lockboxes aren't giving the intended number of credits and will be fixed, but I'm most disappointed in the increased drop rate of missions. Unfortunately increasing the drop rate does not simply equal more profit, and the prices of these missions on the GTN have plummeted on my server. Pre-patch an Underworld Trading mission would sell for 40k quickly, and now they're often not selling at 14k.

The thing with those missions is that there is a fixed demand (people only need so many mats from them) so flooding the market is messing with the crafting economy. It seems like missions are no longer going to be premium items at all, which sort of defeats the whole purpose.

I think that Bioware needs to be careful and make sure that Slicing stays lucrative. It should make more money than the other professions because it stands alone and requires that the player sacrifice a more useful skill. Currently I make far more money from selling Bioanalysis mats, and i'm only keeping Slicing because I'm hoping that it will continue to be re-balanced over the next few months.

• 1 year later...
12 month old Necro :/

Slicing is ok

I wouldn't call it okay, at this point the only time it's worth anything is if you crit on a g9 tech mission. Sending someone for a box and the mission costs 3k and comes back with a box that only gives you 1500 creds isn't what I'd call okay.

They need to boost the credit gain back up, I'd be happy if the missions gave me 500 credit profit instead of losing out on 1500. Hell the change to boxes even nerfed quest credit boxes(a bounty hunter mission on hutta gave you a box that used to give between 400-600 credits, now only gives you 25-56)

I wouldn't call it okay, at this point the only time it's worth anything is if you crit on a g9 tech mission. Sending someone for a box and the mission costs 3k and comes back with a box that only gives you 1500 creds isn't what I'd call okay.

They need to boost the credit gain back up, I'd be happy if the missions gave me 500 credit profit instead of losing out on 1500. Hell the change to boxes even nerfed quest credit boxes(a bounty hunter mission on hutta gave you a box that used to give between 400-600 credits, now only gives you 25-56)

I made a boat-load of credits this weekend by buying Slicing 450 missions and selling thermal regulators. If you are just relying on lockboxes to generate credits you're doing it wrong. Lockboxes are just there to help offset the cost of leveling the profession.

None of the professions generate an innate profit, you have to resell your goods on the market. Why should slicing be any different?