Togruta?

JaceMatai

I think the basic idea is if Cathar sell really well they will look to add more species.

Togruta while popular have some large issues with clipping and so would be more expensive than a near human like Voss or a alien who's head would fit under robes like a Kel'dor.

hahhahahahhahhahahahahhahhahahhahhahahhaha/

sorry, sorry,

the Cathar have been "coming soon" since 1.2, and there is still no confirmed date for when theyre gunna be released, let alone any other species

:rolleyes:

doesn't mean one can't ask.

I for example held off on playing a sage for the longest time(read: back in beta) because I was dead set on my sage HAVING to be a togruta. I even only played a scoundrel as a 'substitute healing class' just because of that. it took me a year - and the definite confirmation that we can get a 'high number of extra character slots' - to finally give in and just play a sage as a different race. (this was actually close to becoming such a high annoyance for me that it was on my list of reasons to not play this game anymore)

and you know what? as soon as togruta become playable I will create a new sage.

You know what? They need new classes, is what they need. You can roll whatever species you like, but if you've played that class before, you're going to be bored. I've done all the stories atleast 3 times each, some more, like SW and IA...and yeah it doesn't matter what you are, if the story is the same. I would say I'd love Togrutas, but also I'd love to have a few new classes so I'm not bored out of my freaking wits. :)

Adding new species is far more simple than adding new classes, though. Adding a species only requires designing a model to fit on to the existing 4 body types and not display armor/vehicle clipping. Creating a new class would require not only the developing all new abilities, but making sure they don't throw other classes off-balance or make any less desirable, and lastly, to do it write they need a whole new story, voice acting and companions to go with it.

Even WoW has only ever added 2 new classes in nearly 8 years. It took them 4 years to make the first new one.

Edited by chuixupu

Bioware has already addressed the issue of Togruta fairly recently, please read the following to understand.

Making an alien race fully human playable is a huge amount of work, at least if you want to give players the level of customization options that they have come to expect. It takes a lot of work to make all of the customization options work together and look good, while still ensuring people still can find looks that are unique to each other.

The Togruta provide a unique problem in this regard, in regards to the tentacles. Yes, the Twi'leks have tentacles too, but they are typically behind the player, whereas the Togruta's canonically drape across the front of the character. This means that they struggle to work with the existing animations and gear without clipping -- indeed, the first screenshot you see for Ashara if you google her is one with her chin ridiculously clipping through her tentacle. While this may be acceptable for a companion who is frequently offscreen while fighting, or NPCs who we can dress and pose carefully, its much more problematic for player characters who need to be able to wear anything and perform any animation and still look good. (The Twi'leks clip somewhat as well, but much art was tweaked to make this a lot less prevalent than it otherwise would have been)

I'm not trying to pour cold water in the species discussion. Quite the opposite - if the Cathar do well, I hope to expand your options even more, and we should know the answer to that 'soonish'. I just don't want anyone to think that just because an alien is currently in the game as an NPC, that it is trivial to turn it into player art -- it's a TON of work to do that, and do it well.

Bioware has already addressed the issue of Togruta fairly recently, please read the following to understand.

you think we don't 'understand' just because we .want. something?

I've .wanted. Togruta ever since I first .heard. of this game. (well, as mentioned before since beta I wanted my sage to be a togruta, but the idea of my 'main', a 'healer', being a togruta was formed waaaay before that)

I'm also well aware of the difficulty of new races, especially when it comes down to clipping, but it still doens't change the fact that when Bioware doesn't know there is .demand. they are less likely to put effort into it.

even if they said 'there will most definitely never in a million years be togruta playable' I'd make it a point every once in a while that I .want. my togruta sage. and I want it yesterday.

There are a lot of things that a lot of people have wanted since they became aware of the game. They know people want Togruta, they're currently on the top of the list of desired species, and they even took the time to address Togruta specifically.

They have said that it will all depend on how well Cathar sell.

So will we see Togruta possibly, will it be soon well that will depend on people purchasing Cathar. They ship them more than anything else then the money guys will telling them to put resources into getting more Species out quick. As it becomes a win win, with BW making money their goal and the players getting something that has been asked for, for a long time.

It is also better PR for BW as they aren't selling players something that already exists in game and arguably should not be costing 14 bucks like the starter outfits. While also adding to the Star Wars experience.

Down side of course is that Cathar don't appear to be overly feline but rather humans with face paints and bad hair cuts. Are people going to spend money to get to play that? I hope so cause I want to see more species but with no player feedback on what species to pick then weighing any chance of new species on it BW aren't exactly making it a good option.

They have said that it will all depend on how well Cathar sell.

So will we see Togruta possibly, will it be soon well that will depend on people purchasing Cathar. They ship them more than anything else then the money guys will telling them to put resources into getting more Species out quick. As it becomes a win win, with BW making money their goal and the players getting something that has been asked for, for a long time.

It is also better PR for BW as they aren't selling players something that already exists in game and arguably should not be costing 14 bucks like the starter outfits. While also adding to the Star Wars experience.

Down side of course is that Cathar don't appear to be overly feline but rather humans with face paints and bad hair cuts. Are people going to spend money to get to play that? I hope so cause I want to see more species but with no player feedback on what species to pick then weighing any chance of new species on it BW aren't exactly making it a good option.

well, we can only hope that at least .some. people at bioware are aware how much more likely people are going to purchase togruta (though this is just an estimate, but all the statistics that .I. have seen the togruta were higher in favour than the carthar were - not forgetting to mention that the togruta are at least semi-prominent outside of the eu-lore. ahsoka is well-known enough and you see them in ep.II)