Opinions on the new Project animation?

Galbatorrix

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Hi.

Sorry to necro an old thread, but I've seen several posts of yellows closing other threads about the new Project animation and redirecting to this one, so here I go...

I've just resuscribed after a pretty long absence, and seriously, the new project animation sucks bad... :(

It was one of the most iconic and visually stunning consular abilities, and now it is a fluff...

I understand the PVP concern about the imbalance of the delay between this skill and the sith mirrored one, it was a very hot topic back when my sub ran out some months ago, but hell... the fix here seems too cheap and dirty.

Maybe people at BW can get the old project back, and give consulars both skills ('Project (old)' and 'Project (new)' or whatever naming they want), sharing cooldown. This way, PVPers can use the faster one, while everyone can still choose the old animation if they see fit.

Or maybe, make the damage count as instant, and let the player immediately queue new keypresses, but keep the old animation running (maybe a little faster than before), even when 'overlaping' visually with other skills.

Or even... give consulars back the old Project, and make Inquisitor's Shock a longer 'charging-lightning-grasping' or something-like-that animation, dealing damage only at the end of it with same delay on both sides, so both skills keeps balanced (nerfing should always be the less popular option, but this may even be beneficial balance-wise for avoiding too high RNG dmg spikes on PVP).

Please... do something to get the old project back... this new one is a very big letdown... :(

Regards

L

Edited by Lokken
typos

And why should we care what 'returning players' think about an animation we've gotten used to over many months already?

The fact that players are used to it doesn't mean it's good.

I personally don't see why Project can't just utilize sort of a telekinetic ball, represented graphically by like a semi-transparent sphere that we hurl at foes. I have no issue with the animation from a balance perspective, but I agree that the old animation was much more impressive to look at.

The old animation for project was clearly inferior to it's mirror skill

imperial side with regards to pvp. Huge, unending tirades raged

about the imbalance. In my opinion, it looked great. Those great

looking, massive rock throws meant imperials could dodge your

attack in certain scenarios. I liked it, despite the unending forum

rage against project at that time.

The new animation, perhaps not as impressive looking. But

functionally, it's on par with it's mirror skill. The parity is nice,

and certainly is something to "like".

Maybe an easy compromise would be to have the old animation

style in effect for PVE encounters, newer more balanced animation

for PVP. Sure, people would still complain, but it would be a whole

new crop of people! Maybe it could be a lore thing, along the

following lines:

Having a PVP animation, and different PVE animation for project makes

my head hurt, making me feel unbalanced. It also interferes with my

ideas about the lore regarding yanking septic tanks out of the ground

to hurl at my enemies. FIX IT!

I personally don't see why Project can't just utilize sort of a telekinetic ball, represented graphically by like a semi-transparent sphere that we hurl at foes.

Do you mean like the Disturbance semi-transparent ball of force? or the Telekinetic wave style of ball of force? or possibly the turbulence style of a slightly visible ball of force?

I"m really teasing you mostly :) but depending on your spec, it may not be the best solution. but I can see where you are going. I don't think the issue was with the graphic as much as the timing. it just took too long for the damage to record. if you watch the new graphic, its the same rock....just hurtling out of the ground right at the opponent. I too like the original graphic, and didn't care about the timing, but now that I've gotten used to the new one it doesn't bug me as much.

But i can understand why some people simply don't like it. For me , it was really just resisting change. I don't mind it now, and in all honesty, I'm not sure at this point that I'd want another "ball of force" in my repertoire. already have too many on my Tk sage that look the same

But i can understand why some people simply don't like it. For me , it was really just resisting change. I don't mind it now, and in all honesty, I'm not sure at this point that I'd want another "ball of force" in my repertoire. already have too many on my Tk sage that look the same

And what about a little white blast of Force (like a sudden air decompression) right in the chest of the target (similar to the stormy cloud of Inquisitors) in place of Project, and stream of high pressured air in place of Telekinetic Throw.

The first one could be called Force Blast, and the second one Force Pressure (I know, i'm not very productive on names).

It could make happy the rock-throwing haters, and bring (back) a bit of coolness (in my opinion, the old Project was cool mainly because of temporization, now it's just random)

I never had the luxury of seeing the old Project, but I will admit, I like how it is now. Shock, all you do is move your hand and the enemy is sparked. Project rips a rock out of the ground and chucks it at the target's head. It never gets old.

They still have the old animation on the heroic project! it does and i always thought it looked better, but ive gotten use to the new 1 now

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
I know this thread is a bit old but I just wanted to put in my two cents. I played a Jedi consular awhile ago and project is what made the class for me. It just felt epic and powerful. I stopped playing the game for awhile, about 4 months, and when i came back I started a new Jedi consular. When i used project for the first time I thought "this doesn't seem as cool as i remembered it" but i continued playing. about a week later I was watching youtube videos and saw someone use the move before the patch. I thought to myself "Thats what i remember, that is why this class was so awesome. What happened?" Then i looked it up and found this thread. So PLEASE!!!! change the animation back, it was amazing the way it was before. I understand the issue that made you change it but i think people on this thread has come up with really good ways to fix this problem while keeping the old animation that we all know and love.

• 3 months later...

Horrid.

EASY WAY TO FIX THIS. COMBINE BOTH ANIMATIONS. Have the instant rocks near the target, for the "INSTANT" component, and combine it with the OLD PROJECT. 2 rocks, 1st rock - do dmg, 2nd rock, do no damage. It's really only a second apart at best. If that talent procs, then we get 4 rocks.