[Guide] Reverse Engineering

Slaign

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a Tionese Supercommando's Module (earring) that dropped last night in a 16 man op. Can this be reverse engineered to gain a Tier 1 or 2 prefix? I know it's possible to crit and gain an augment slot.

If not, I see no point in these earrings. Each schematic is bind on pickup, and makes a bind on pickup ear...with stats far worse than a tier 2 crafted earring (61 aim, 95 endurance, 37 accuracy, 28 defense).

I haven't seen proof that it can be, but I also haven't ever heard of enough people testing this to get a real solid sample size. As of now, I consider such things "In Testing and Unconfirmed" which basically means try it at your own risk and please let us know the results.

Someone brought this up earlier, but mistakenly said they were part of the patch notes. Right now the only thing in the PTR patch is the Biochem changes. However, there was a post that detailed future plans that said a lot of exciting things. Here's the bit that's relevant to us:

Major changes are currently on schedule for the next major content patch, such as extractable basemods (armoring, barrel, etc.) from purple items, critical crafting successes on orange outfits, more bind-on-equip schematic drops for artifice and other professions, increased relevance of augments, better reverse engineering chance, and other improvements. We want to create significant incentive for players to engage in the crafting economy – as provider of goods or supplier - without requiring players to take up a specific profession as a ticket into endgame.

Long term, our plan is to evolve Star Wars: The Old Republic’s game economy to a more player driven model, strengthen and improve the GTN and embrace the game’s extensive appearance customization throughout the game. We have a long list of improvements planned for that but we’re also anxious to hear from you.

Find the full text and comment on it here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=2417047

Reminder, "Major Content Patch" means a new version increment, so we won't see this until patch 1.2. We are currently on 1.1.2 on the PTR. 1.2 could come at any time, but it isn't announced yet.

Hi! Thank you for posting such a nice thread, it has answered most of the questions I've had, although there is ONE main question which has been torturing me since I started playing.

I would like to know, do ALL blue items created from crews skills (Synthweaving, Armstech.. etc) have chances to give an artifact recipe? or only a few ones?

I've been browsing through the auction house in order to answer my own question but i've only noticed level 9 artifact crafted items then it went up to 25ish and higher.. Is it possible to create for example a level 17 artifact blaster rifle with armstech? or will prototype (blue) be the highest level it can reach?

And while I'm at it, do all superior items have a chance to raise to prototype? (So far so good, but maybe eventually If i make an additional character and try out a new crew skill this information would be quite good to know)

Thank you!

Does anyone know if you have to already know the tier 2 version to learn the tier 3? For example, if I don't know how to craft the 'overkill' version of something, but I buy one off the GTN, can I RE that and learn one of the the artifact versions?

Hi! Thank you for posting such a nice thread, it has answered most of the questions I've had, although there is ONE main question which has been torturing me since I started playing.

I would like to know, do ALL blue items created from crews skills (Synthweaving, Armstech.. etc) have chances to give an artifact recipe? or only a few ones?

I've been browsing through the auction house in order to answer my own question but i've only noticed level 9 artifact crafted items then it went up to 25ish and higher.. Is it possible to create for example a level 17 artifact blaster rifle with armstech? or will prototype (blue) be the highest level it can reach?

And while I'm at it, do all superior items have a chance to raise to prototype? (So far so good, but maybe eventually If i make an additional character and try out a new crew skill this information would be quite good to know)

Thank you!

The way the system works currently, you ought to be able to upgrade any equippable item you can make through the prefix system, except Vibrokives and Shotguns, which are bugged.

Does anyone know if you have to already know the tier 2 version to learn the tier 3? For example, if I don't know how to craft the 'overkill' version of something, but I buy one off the GTN, can I RE that and learn one of the the artifact versions?

I've never heard of this happening, and you'd have to get pretty lucky to get a schematic in one try, but I can't tell you it's not possible, just that I don't think it's likely.

Can the T3 Rakata armor vendor-taught schematics (belt/bracers) for Armormech be RE'd into higher forms?

I've RE'd 8 pieces so far with no results (1 returned a biometric). Obviously 8 is not a big sample size, but it's a start. I still have not managed to crit my bracers yet, so that number will keep going up until I do so.

I've RE'd 8 pieces so far with no results (1 returned a biometric). Obviously 8 is not a big sample size, but it's a start. I still have not managed to crit my bracers yet, so that number will keep going up until I do so.

They definitely can be crit at least then, you did it with your belt?

I wish there were a change made by the dev so we don't waste as much time REing stuff only to get "you already know this schematic" notice. The whole point in RE the same base item after you learned a t1/t2 schematic is to learn a new one of the same tier...

UH!!!! I just want my Supremecy stuff man and have wasted plenty O' dollars so far to do it. It is bad enough that the returned materials are VERY, VERY low amounts.... Frustrating....

I wish there were a change made by the dev so we don't waste as much time REing stuff only to get "you already know this schematic" notice. The whole point in RE the same base item after you learned a t1/t2 schematic is to learn a new one of the same tier...

UH!!!! I just want my Supremecy stuff man and have wasted plenty O' dollars so far to do it. It is bad enough that the returned materials are VERY, VERY low amounts.... Frustrating....

Oh, I hear you.

I really think--as another poster inferred--that the probability of learning a T2 schematic is 5%, but the chance of getting a specific version of T2 is not equal. I've always--always--received General's (+Presence) first, and with my current project (Redoubt Hyperaccelerated Shield Generator) I've received everything *but* Veracity (+Shield), so it really does seem like the chance is skewed towards the less desirable prefixes.

I didn't see a specific answer, just a semi-vague possibility but...

Can I RE an item that I don't have the discovery for, but have the previous one for.

For example: If I RE the blue T1 implant without knowing the schematic (Say, someone else crafts it and sends it to me so I can RE) , but know the green version bought from the trainer, is it possible for me to learn the T2 artifact version, or must I have the T1 version to have any possibility of learning the T2 version?

I don't think it can be just bad luck. It's either scripted that way or bugged to happen that way. A little over half of my armstech t2 discoveries are +presence.

And I have none +presence and have spent like 10 million credits on revrse engineering. Having 2O+ lvl 49-50 epic schematic. So it has to be totaly random.

About proc rates: I'm quite sure number of items on you inventory affects the proc rate. When I reverse smaller patches It might take way more items to get a proc than when making 20 items patch. Currently I make only 15 to 20 items patches because I akmost always get a proc from it. Tho might be totaly random.

About reverse engineering base artifact items: As a previous post stated columni and rakata schematics are inferior compapred to base blue or even green schematics. I'm quite sure that they are reverse engineerable. Unfortunately as the mats are bop I think that won't be done quite some time. How many hard mode flashpoints you need to do to getbiomemetic alloy for patch? I really hope they would make it sellable.

iI love revrse engineering and I am making a great profit with it. Last night sold armors for 1m. The problem is that I have reverse engineered a full prefix 2 set for my operative. Currently doing heavies for fun. My next bigger project is to start reverse engineer base artifact items. If I'm lucky I let you know of my findings.

keep on crafting!

I didn't see a specific answer, just a semi-vague possibility but...

Can I RE an item that I don't have the discovery for, but have the previous one for.

For example: If I RE the blue T1 implant without knowing the schematic (Say, someone else crafts it and sends it to me so I can RE) , but know the green version bought from the trainer, is it possible for me to learn the T2 artifact version, or must I have the T1 version to have any possibility of learning the T2 version?

I don't think anyone has a clear answer on this. Nobody has tested it fully yet. If anyone here is on Ajunta Pall and an Armormech, I'd be willing to test this with you. We could work on one of the level 9 items and see if this is possible....

Hey guys, last night I posted a thread with my personal ideas for crafting, and asked you guys to read it. Some of you did and provided some cool discussion, but I had an epiphany.

Why make a thread about my personal ideas, when I could make a thread designed to house brainstorming and discussion of ALL of our ideas? Such a thread could prove fun and enlightening for us, and provide a good way for BioWare to keep track of what the community thinks needs done with Crew Skills.

So I started a thread for all of us to discuss our ideas about Crew Skills in general. I hope that thread becomes as successful as this one. Follow this link and join in: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=2487636

I posted a week ago my google doc spread sheet, and really didnt like the way it showed up in the docs. I just now Finished my Spread sheet of heavy, and medium trainable armors. A complete list with lvls learned at, equipped, and if its green, blue to start, and a chart to keep track of your upgrades. Does anyone know how or where I can put it up in its excel form? Google just mangeled it, lol.

My next project is to take screen shots of every trainable armor in base form with ingrediants to make, along with SS of its children (this will take along time to complie but make it easier see stat progression in the families.) Also take then SS in the armor to see its looks on a toon. Think this is a waste of time or might be helpful?

Great job on the thread!

Edited by Necodreus

Just an update on the Reverse Engineering progress of the Redoubt Hyperaccelerated Shield Generator:

I've Reverse Engineered 160 of these shields since I began counting and I have acquired two new prefixes. I got General's before I started counting; afterwards I learned Exactitude and Anti-Armor.

So in total, I have 2 learns out of those 160, and 6 "already learned" messages. I am very evenly averaging 1 T2 learn attempt per 20 shields, or a 5% learn rate. If this information holds true for other crafts, you can estimate approximately 100 crafts to get your desired T2 prefix for Critical/Power and 80 crafts to get your desired T2 prefix for Defense.

Thanks for posting this! I've been working on this same generator for several days with no luck so far. From now on I'll be sure and stockpile 20 or so of them before I try RE'ing again. Also, can you by chance post the stats for the T2 versions you have found thus far? The variation info I've found on the net is confusing and usually seems inaccurate.

Thanks in advance!

Yes, I lucked out and crit on my 2nd belt. 9 bracers later, still no crit :(

3 biometric's left, hopefully I have more luck tonight.

Haven't seen any higher form stuff yet from r/e'ing these. 8 belts to get a proc, 8 bracers to get a proc and currently have done 17 relics with no proc.

I want to proc my relic to see if I can proc the Columi stuff from hard modes.

In regards to the theories on improving RE chances: I think I've disproven all three listed in the first post with one batch of items.

Level difference theory: This doesn't seem to be true, because I've been getting number 19+ armoring schematics at a much higher rate than I've been getting the one level 16 armoring schematic I'm still after.

Item level theory: Same situation. 19+ ones are 6+ levels higher than the 16 schematics and I'm getting the 19+'s much more often.

Consistency theory: I managed to get 4 different schematics back-to-back-to-back-to-back just by doing my normal system of having all my companions craft one of each of the remaining greens I need to get blue schematics. I then RE all the acquired green items, hoping for blue schematics. I ended up getting a 17 Guardian, 19 Guardian and Patron, and 20 Guardian armoring from that batch, if memory serves.

This rather amazing occurrence happened after an exceptionally long dry-spell, so my theory is that there's an algorithm working behind the scenes that has a random chance, but the chance improves every time you don't get a schematic. However, that theory doesn't explain the 4-in-a-row, unless it doesn't reset, but just uses a chunk of the chance you had accumulated.

Not sure if this has been seen before, but I just learned the schematic Overkill Focused Battle Boots from RE'ing the green boots that come on Nadia. I'm guessing the original boots she was wearing were the same as the Focused Battle Boots just with a Nadia-only restriction. Anyway, an interesting find.