Struggling between Marauder and Assassin, advice please

FrostTrooper

So I've been playing since launch and since then all I've played are tanks and healers. I've played Sage, Commando, Vanguard, Guardian all to 50. Recently I've switched to the Imp side and of course, made a PT to run with my friend . I'm looking for something to play when not running with my friend and would like to center on DPS for once. I realize an Assassin can double as a tank, but I would force myself to focus on being DPS instead. I didn't consider the Sniper, mostly because I'm not a huge fan of the cover system, I played a Gunslinger to 30 and while not boring, I like being in the trenches instead. So that leaves me with a Marauder and Assassin (and yes a DPS Jug, but I would rather a double blade or dual wield).

I'm looking for something survivable as I solo content. PVP is something I will do from time to time, but far from my focus. Is one easier to play?

Thanks in advance for any assistance here.

I'll give my personal views;

Marauders make better DPS for PvE.

Assassins make better DPS for PvP.

Marauders have sustained damage specs which are more than viable for PvE. Whereas Assassins DPS spec is burst damage, which doesn't fair aswell in PvE as other specs. The reason it trumps in PvP is because Burst damage rules PvP. You can have your heavy hitting burst attacks ready for just about every encounter in PvP which is also great.

Don't get me wrong though, Marauders are still serious contenders in PvP and can be played just as well. Though, in my opinion Assassins have the slight edge with stealth.

Assassins make great pve tanks though, if you want to go that route. Only downside, is rather than getting healer companion on nar shadda, like the jedi shadow (sin equivalent), you have to wait until hoth. There is of course the ship droid though. Tank sin also has more survivability than marauder. Yes, sins use light armor, and even dps sins for the most part get at least a 30% armor rating boost, but tank sins get 115%. They can solo easier, and faster. Well, if you skip mobs with stealth, it's faster. but if you kill everything, then marauder is faster, as it does do better dps.

I'm only doing PVE, because I hate PVP stuff. :) But had a blast getting my Marauder to 55. Quite easy as well once you get your healer companion.

Mobs drop like flies :D Maybe a little less on lower levels, because it will take awhile for the Mara to pick up her really good abilities. But once you have them. It's slice and dice :D:rak_04:

Assassin would be my least favourite choice out of the 2. I have a 34 Shadow (Republic counterpart), but it's not exactly what I enjoy to play. I don't mind the stealth. But stuff like twin saber throw, force choke, and twin saber cutting up mobs is more up my alley :D Not to mention Force Jumping all over the place :D

So Mara for me. But of course, the choice is yours :)