What class does the highest dps in pve?

Blumpkn

I know this question is asked a lot by people who just want to be the best at things by not working hard, but this is just a question out of curiosity.

I am looking for opinions on which class has the highest SUSTAINED pve dps.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sniper / Gunslinger

Operative / Scoundrel

Marauder / Sentinel

Feel confident in that top 3 order, everything else is pretty even as far as DPS specs go.

Op/Sco has the higher upfront damage but sniper specs have long term consistency and less CD's or positioning requirements.

Sniper / Gunslinger

Operative / Scoundrel

Marauder / Sentinel

Sniper/Gunslinger I think has the highest burst DPS, but you will blow all CDs to do so and get low on resources.

Ops/Scounfrel has high damage when there burst from stealth/positional moves are used.

Marauder got good damage, and is the best in terms of long term DPS due to resource mechanics (longer fight = more resource to spend).

Others in DPS specs do nice damage as well though from what I seen.

TBH theres not a lot in it between the classes in DPS specs between the 8 classes (I think its something like 20% dps between them).

Edited by Kotli

Right those are highest, which is why like every endgame raiding guild vid I see, they're using at least 2 commando dps.

That's because endgame raid bosses have ridiculous melee skills, PB AoE abilities, knockbacks etc. It's easier to position commandos than sentinels.

Is any of this information based on any real numbers at all? Or is it just what you guys "feel" is the highest?

Without solid numbers to back your claims there is absolutely zero information value in this thread.

Edited by Covalent

Sniper / Gunslinger

Operative / Scoundrel

Marauder / Sentinel

Feel confident in that top 3 order, everything else is pretty even as far as DPS specs go.

Op/Sco has the higher upfront damage but sniper specs have long term consistency and less CD's or positioning requirements.

I think it's a safe bet to say Ops and Scoundrels aren't the highest at PvE b/c they can only use their big damage attack a few times in a boss fight. After that their sustained damage drops way down.

My list would be (also including the republic counterparts):

- BH Mercs

- Snipers

- Assassins

These classes all have good sustained damage that can burst pretty well at times. No one will know anything of course until we get combat logs that everyone can see. Even if we get personal logs it will be too easy to fabricate numbers.

Edited by kidbs

In theory there is no best dps class. BW claims that any class with a full dps spec is equal.

Until we have combat logs there is no way to tell.

Anyone claiming so and so is better is basing it off feel since there is NO hard numbers possible with out logs and a parser.

Still, from experience as a tank, just watching different classes burn down mobs, I'd say Merc, Sniper and Operative. Can't really give an order, but those are the three classes I most like to have in a random group as dps. Mercs are the most common of those three, and are almost always good dps, with the few bad exceptions.

While logs and actual hard data are required for specificity in finding the best builds and rotations. A general consensus, based on observation, can be formed without them. Take a mob with a lot of health, have a tank do just enough to hold it in place, and have different classes take a whack at it. (Mob's Health)/(Time to Kill)=Damage Output. Yeah, it's not very accurate, but if you assume similar player skill and a large health pool on the mob, then consistent gaps should emerge between classes.

• 3 weeks later...

DPS can be checked on 4 boss in EV.

You know the HP of the mob your killing and if you use a stopwatch at the same time you can calculate afterwords.

[HP on mob]/[Time(s)] = DPS

On this boss encounter you only have to watch your roatation so if you manage that you should get a good indicator of your DPS.

Calculation that should be taken into consideration:

Classes that can give you a DPS buff for a certain ammount of time.

Edited by Agrajagu

I'm very surprised that a few of you are putting Ops/Scoundrels on a list of SUSTAINED DPS (as that's what the op was after, not burst damage). Sustained dps wise, they rank fairly low. They have very nice burst damage from scrapper specs, but after that they quickly fall behind. Whilst it's true that DF/Leth specs can do very agreeable damage, it's not a rate of damage that cannot be matched by other classes.

Edit: I totally forgot my "reflections" on the ops original question. Having a tank I get some measure (far from a certainty) of how well classes dps. I can tell you now that gunslingers have the ability to drop enemies very quickly (esp bosses), and I find myself using provoke a lot more often with them in my party. Aside from them, there's no real noticeable difference with the other classes aside from maybe sentinels, I've noticed Sentinels (Marauder mirror) occasionally hit very hard and pull aggro if I'm being lazy.

Edited by kuey

Is any of this information based on any real numbers at all? Or is it just what you guys "feel" is the highest?

Without solid numbers to back your claims there is absolutely zero information value in this thread.

Yea pretty much it's all opinion, there is no fact here nor will there be. Loose theorycrafting based on potential from tooltips is about as bad as 'feelings'.

Pyrotech powertechs - these either have huge damage or some bugs with agro because they always agro everything off me unless I put a guard on them. Mercs do very good damage with magic missiles but arent as effective if a lot of movement is required. Everyone else arent worth mentioning (or I havent met good ones, anyway combat log is required). Edited by Vesperr

my commando can consistently pull aggro in boss fights (ev/kar) if i am not careful. no other class i raid with does so (not for lack of trying)

however:

i am also pretty well geared.

Edited by vvp_pe

Sniper / Gunslinger

Operative / Scoundrel

Marauder / Sentinel

Definetly not operative if you're talking about sustained DPS on a boss.

bit if were talking about lower HP trash mobs, than yes, operative short term burst works well.

Probably sorc just because right now resource management for them isn't really a concern so they can sustain longer.

Even mercs/commandos have to be weary of heat/ammo.

Operative/sniper/scoundrel/gunslinger is the biggest resource balancing act in the game right now. If you drop below half your energy you are in a critical mass state and will see a big fall off in damage.

On enemies that do NOT have a block mechanic, I'd say a gunslinger/sniper and sentinel/marauder. (yes, enemies in pve block) On enemies that DO have a block mechanic I'd say sorc/sage then commando/merc.

No matter how much accuracy you have, an enemy will have at least 20% chance to block anywhere's from 25-50% of the damage done.(if the enemy has a block mechanic) People tend to forget that enemies can and do block and it's why pure physical damage builds I.E. gunslinger and sentinel have hard times vs those targets.

Edited by genesiser