Blaster rifles for Bounty Hunters, Pistols for Troopers

Kailis

First, thank you Bioware for the inclusion of the preview window's new ability to show a weapon plus the rotation and zoom features! Great job there!

The animations exist and ranged weapon range is already in place (not implying an increase) from pistol to rifle & vice versa. so we need an unlock be it, Cartel Coin, quest, level, what have you, to allow bounty hunters to use rifles and troopers to use pistols if they choose.

The glowbat wielders have the option to use other weaponry so the need and desire for utility of weapon employment by ranged classes should be in existence as well.

Please consider this request!

Thanks,

A happy subscriber (just looking for some more variety)

I have been wishing for this for a while now but, what if I am a merc and decide I want a blaster rifle what would go into my offhand slot? Could a tank trooper dual wield pistols?

The....what was it "Glowbat" users have swords and now the ax but they still have general rules, only the assassins can use a double bladed saber, only, what class is it, marauders?? can use two sabers? Thats kind of like the rifle pistol situation. If you want a rifle you have to roll as a trooper or a operative, it isnt ideal or even really make sense but it is to give you more re-play value

But to close, I wish my BH could use a rifle, just doesnt seem like it would be something that they could do without messing up balance, or without removing the need to roll a different class if that makes sense.

Edited by TyrKartelos

No way Bounty Hunters should have rifles.

They have all their gadgets in the left arm to use so a rifle makes no sense at all as it would just get in the way.

Could do the same thing mercs do, move the left hand over to the side, turn sideways, magic flying rockets, with no buttons or switches pressed at all...

They have all their gadgets in the left arm to use so a rifle makes no sense at all as it would just get in the way.

Boba Fett would disagree with you, as his primary weapon is a blaster carbine not a pistol.

Let's face it, the weapon restrictions don't really make any sense apart from trying to have the classes look different (which is unneeded in my opinion).

Troopers carry and use a pistol during their cutscenes, yet can't hold one during normal gameplay? That seems just wrong...

Therefore in support of the OP.

Just saying, I'd much prefer to wield a Pistol on my Operative than this Rifle I'm currently using. Right now, my guy feels more like an elite army force. That's cool and all that, but I wanted my guy to feel more like a spy/secret agent. Single Pistol + Vibroknife would be perfect for that.

Imperial Agents should use pistols, too -- and they already use them in cut scenes. James Bond's weapon of choice wa a Walther PPK, not an Enfield L1A1. That said, of course he picked up whatever was handy when he needed it.

I'd like to see this as an unlock, so that players have the option to go with whatever their taste is.

Edited by CNS_Sarajevo

This will never work the way it's set up now is that blaster rifles do more damage than pistold but because there are two of them the bonus damage from the second one makes it the same on average. If you change the damage of the pistold every class will be affected due to the buff to the gunslinger's and therefore sniper's damage

This will never work the way it's set up now is that blaster rifles do more damage than pistold but because there are two of them the bonus damage from the second one makes it the same on average. If you change the damage of the pistold every class will be affected due to the buff to the gunslinger's and therefore sniper's damage

That could be modified if they'd decide to free up some restrictions. And let's face it... most of the restrictions are stupid anyway. I can understand limiting lightsabers to Force users, autocannons to troopers and sniper rifles to sniper agents, as all of them require special training to be used effectively but beyond that more freedom is needed.

A commando trooper can't fire a "Hail of Bolts" from a blaster rifle to cover an area? Seriously? A shadow/assassin can't use an electro- or techstaff and still be viable because he's suddenly unable to use half of his attacks?

Restrictions like that need to go at the very least (or give us visual replacers for our weapons so we can have a bit more variety).

This is, in fact, not the case at all. The damage done by a weapon is detirmined entirely by the barrel/hilt that you socket which has an associated rank indicating power level. That rank of weapon will do the same damage to a target regardless of what weapon inflicts the damage. Furthermore, dual wielding characters take a rather substantial damage hit to the offhand weapon on top of an accuracy nerf. While both can be somewhat mitigated with gear and skill tree buffs, going to a single weapon completely removes all those penalties instantly. You may end up doing less damage with the same gear if you're at the top tier, but reallocating that extra accuracy and bonus damage talents might get you on par again.

But all this is a moot point. The current weapon restrictions are abitrary and somewhat pointless from a gameplay standpoint. The ONLY benifit we get from it would be loot rolls since it's rare to have 2 different classes rolling for the same gear with regard to their actual character. However, since people often grab stuff for companions, friends in the same group while pugging, and all sorts of other silly reasons, they really are just a barrier on immersion at this point. We've been barking up this tree essentially since launch and there's been no hint of them taking it seriously.

Edited by althene

This is honestly the best defense for why bounty hunters can't use rifles, but that can be easily worked around.

I'd love to see this, but in all honesty, why stop there? Maybe vanguards and power techs should be able to use techblades and/or techstaves? You know, the aim-based melee weapons? Vanguards and power techs already use aim, and usually melee. It would make a great addition, for some more customization, and new play style.

But again, 200% support.

First, thank you Bioware for the inclusion of the preview window's new ability to show a weapon plus the rotation and zoom features! Great job there!

The animations exist and ranged weapon range is already in place (not implying an increase) from pistol to rifle & vice versa. so we need an unlock be it, Cartel Coin, quest, level, what have you, to allow bounty hunters to use rifles and troopers to use pistols if they choose.

The glowbat wielders have the option to use other weaponry so the need and desire for utility of weapon employment by ranged classes should be in existence as well.

Please consider this request!

Thanks,

A happy subscriber (just looking for some more variety)

Let's please not forget that Mr. Trooper is actually holding a mystery blaster pistol in every cut scene.

And yes I 2nd your appreciation for weapons in the dressing room. For RP reasons it's been driving me insane that I had no clue what my rifles looked like other than their general shape without a 2nd computer or trying to rig the camera against a wall and... Sigh. Anyway thanks.

Now let's get our troopers their blaster pistols. :p I finally did find an awesome rifle though that I love, and the bowcaster held me over until then. But still blaster pistol please. Plus it'd help the economy, right? Win win.

Edited by siegeshot

I always thought the weapon restrictions in this game were a bit rediculous. The restrictions make everything so one dimentional and not allowing an option for dual wielding two fast low dps weapons OR one slow 2h weapon make things drag quickly. Same goes with dual wielding pistols or a slow blaster rifle.

I quit playing a jedi after level 40 just because it was the SAME thing with lightsabers or a different skin on any other melee weapon theoretically doing the exact same thing (including the same sounds).