Why is BW sitting on Paid Character Transfers?

Graydon

It did indeed go quite smoothly. There are probably a lot of logistical loose ends that need to be tied up first before they open the floodgates - stragglers for one.

I'm a "straggler" and they will have to pry my server from my cold dead hands.

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The NEED: I have 6 toons sitting on a DEAD server. If I transfer to the "designated" server, I will have to DELETE 4 toons.

Would like to transfer to a server, where that wouldn't happen.

A perfect example of why it would be a good idea to add more character slots per server before opening up the paid transfer system.

It did indeed go quite smoothly. There are probably a lot of logistical loose ends that need to be tied up first before they open the floodgates - stragglers for one.

Explain how stragglers would hinder the paid transfer service? They can still transfer. Destination servers are destination servers.

Players are subsribing and unsubscribing everyday. Server population changes everyday.

Players are rollling characters every day. Population balance changes everyday.

A perfect example of why it would be a good idea to add more character slots per server before opening up the paid transfer system.

They didn't add character slots before the free transfers. Why wait now?

Sigh, for a game that touted the playing of "alts", the limit on per server was a disaster, I purposely left 2 slots open for "expansion", ie, new species/legacy unlocks, etc.

So how many "new" slots would be reasonable? 16 for me, to replicate what I had? or 10 for the usual crowd, or lucky crowd that didn't get shafted like I did?

They didn't add character slots before the free transfers. Why wait now?
I wish I could say I've been backed into a corner, but since I'm not a Bioware employee and am just as (un)knowledgable of the whys as the next guy... or gal ... I could only hazard a guess. Edited by GalacticKegger

Sigh, for a game that touted the playing of "alts", the limit on per server was a disaster, I purposely left 2 slots open for "expansion", ie, new species/legacy unlocks, etc.

So how many "new" slots would be reasonable? 16 for me, to replicate what I had? or 10 for the usual crowd, or lucky crowd that didn't get shafted like I did?

Good question. Many have requested 16. What would work for you? Edited by GalacticKegger

Good question. Many have requested 16. What would work for you?

Yes, for my situation, but I recognize others might have problems with that.. so paid transfers would also fix it(and probably sooner).

Explain how stragglers would hinder the paid transfer service? They can still transfer. Destination servers are destination servers.

Players are subsribing and unsubscribing everyday. Server population changes everyday.

Players are rollling characters every day. Population balance changes everyday.

What about subscribers who went on summer vacation with their wife & kids? Or people who will resubscribe during the summer? Or in the fall? Or around the holidays? What will they come back to - especially if some servers are decommissioned and repurposed? Characters in limbo? Maybe some could not care less about it, but I think Bioware does care and is avoiding spaz mode while stuff sorts itself out. But that's just opinion. Edited by GalacticKegger

Yes, for my situation, but I recognize others might have problems with that.. so paid transfers would also fix it(and probably sooner).
In theory some might have concerns about paid transfers opening Pandora's box the way adding all those servers at launch did, while simply adding more freebie toon slots would work better for them. It's a 2-way street. Edited by GalacticKegger

What about subscribers who went on summer vacation with their wife & kids? Or people who will resubscribe during the summer? Or in the fall? Or around the holidays? What will they come back to - especially if some servers are decommissioned and repurposed? Characters in limbo? Maybe some could not care less about it, but I think Bioware does care and is avoiding spaz mode while stuff sorts itself out. But that's just opinion.

By this logic they should just never do them ever because things are always changing, and that is just silly.

By this logic they should just never do them ever because things are always changing, and that is just silly.
I took a year off of LOTRO (lifetime subscription no less), and Turbine consolidated servers during my absence. All of my toons were untraceable (customer service wouldn't use the word "deleted") and that pretty much got me questioning my value as a customer. It's a genuine consideration. Albeit a silly one perhaps - until it happens to you.

All I am saying is that safeguards aren't intrinsic. They require time to implement, bullet proof and stabilize. Petulantly cracking a whip 2 weeks after a major server shake-up isn't exactly condusive to stabiliy.

Edited by GalacticKegger

I took a year off of LOTRO (lifetime subscription no less), and Turbine consolidated servers during my absence. All of my toons were untraceable (customer service wouldn't use the word "deleted") and that pretty much got me questioning my value as a customer. It's a genuine consideration. Albeit a silly one perhaps - until it happens to you.

All I am saying is that safeguards aren't intrinsic. They require time to implement, bullet proof and stabilize. Petulantly cracking a whip 2 weeks after a major server shake-up isn't exactly condusive to stabiliy.

Yes, but that's on the fault of the company and you should be rightfully upset at them. However, to deny a large number of players transfers because of the odd occasion where a bug causes this to happen is the worse of two evils.

There is just no sense in it. The major transfers are already done, and most of them went smoothly. So the system is in place. The only thing left to do is to open it up to more servers via a paid method. In terms of the example you used, literally nothing changes. Whether they open transfers or not, the same bug would either occur, or it wouldn't.

Edited by E-Zekiel

Yes, but that's on the fault of the company and you should be rightfully upset at them. However, to deny a large number of players transfers because of the odd occasion where a bug causes this to happen is the worse of two evils.

There is just no sense in it. The major transfers are already done, and most of them went smoothly. So the system is in place. The only thing left to do is to open it up to more servers via a paid method. In terms of the example you used, literally nothing changes. Whether they open transfers or not, the same bug would either occur, or it wouldn't.

There is a difference between denying access to a service and not releasing a service because the developers feel that either the service, the situation, or both are not where they need to be. Not letting customers into a drop-cloth covered section of the store because it is still being remodeled isn't denial - regardless of how far along construction looks, or how closely its anticipated operation mimics another section of the store that is already open for business. However some customers may experience denial from not being granted access. Edited by GalacticKegger

There is no possible way they do this until after they are done with the free transfers and announce what servers are shutting down. The pet incentive is due to continue until July 31, so take that for what it is worth.

They first must declare what servers will not survive, otherwise people would wind-up paying twice if the move a server that shuts down. Or if the sunset servers are sent to a different server than that which is the present destination server, people would be unhappy if they had just paid to move to another destination server, only to have the same thing happen for free when it shuts down.

Open transfers won't happen until after the free transfers and eventual final merges occur. The most that would happen is a limited, paid transfer, for those not wishing to accept the freebies or final destination server. That likely isn't happening until mid to late August. That said, I would think they want the server merges done before they launch F2P (2L15.)

There is no possible way they do this until after they are done with the free transfers and announce what servers are shutting down. The pet incentive is due to continue until July 31, so take that for what it is worth.

They first must declare what servers will not survive, otherwise people would wind-up paying twice if the move a server that shuts down. Or if the sunset servers are sent to a different server than that which is the present destination server, people would be unhappy if they had just paid to move to another destination server, only to have the same thing happen for free when it shuts down.

Open transfers won't happen until after the free transfers and eventual final merges occur. The most that would happen is a limited, paid transfer, for those not wishing to accept the freebies or final destination server. That likely isn't happening until mid to late August. That said, I would think they want the server merges done before they launch F2P (2L15.)

You have no idea what you are talking about...

Most of us do understand the purpose of the destination servers and are not asking to move to another origin server. We would like to have a choice of which destination server we transfer our characters.

Most of us rolled characters on a new server when our original ones became empty. Now after the server merge (which we had no choice of which destination) we have characters spread across multiple destination servers. We just want to consolidate our characters onto a single server...what is so difficult about that??

This would have minimal effect on the population.

Players get their Legacy, Bioware generates new revenue, and we are all happy.

Just don't understand why BW can't get off their butts and open paid transfers. They really screwed their subscrbers again.

You have no idea what you are talking about...

Most of us do understand the purpose of the destination servers and are not asking to move to another origin server. We would like to have a choice of which destination server we transfer our characters.

Most of us rolled characters on a new server when our original ones became empty. Now after the server merge (which we had no choice of which destination) we have characters spread across multiple destination servers. We just want to consolidate our characters onto a single server...what is so difficult about that??

This would have minimal effect on the population.

Players get their Legacy, Bioware generates new revenue, and we are all happy.

Just don't understand why BW can't get off their butts and open paid transfers. They really screwed their subscrbers again.

Probably because it takes time as it requires more coding and probably other resources. Plus they're still working on other projects such as bugs, and future content updates. It's not like they're just sitting on their arse all day drinking coffee.

Probably because it takes time as it requires more coding and probably other resources. Plus they're still working on other projects such as bugs, and future content updates. It's not like they're just sitting on their arse all day drinking coffee.

Bioware just transferred hundreds of thousands of characters.

They have the resources and the coding.

What they don't have is a comprehending of consumer demand nor MMO game management.

Edited by Graydon

Bioware just transferred hundreds of thousands of characters.

They have the resources and the coding.

Look how long it took to setup those transfers. Yes coding is different even for the smallest change. I also wouldn't be surprised if such a change needs approval from a top executive first.

Yes.

We need char transfers.

And we need it now!

Also, more slots would be really nice. And the thing is this:

We would be willing to pay for it! atleast, if you do it the right way.

Say, char transfers from any server to any server: 10 €

Start with giving us 10 slots for free. And then: 10 € / 2 extra slots. Or something like that.

Loads of money for you. Happy custumers.

Win-win.

/Triserpent

Look how long it took to setup those transfers. Yes coding is different even for the smallest change. I also wouldn't be surprised if such a change needs approval from a top executive first.

Dude, the only difference in the code is WE the consumer choose the destination server, not Bioware. Remember Origin server destinations were not announced ahead of time so Bioware could monitor the process and make (here it comes....) CHANGES to the Destination server if necessary.

So yes they have the code. Would be very shortsighted of Bioware to not develop paid transfers to their code while they were building the character transfer service.

Dude, the only difference in the code is WE the consumer choose the destination server, not Bioware. Remember Origin server destinations were not announced ahead of time so Bioware could monitor the process and make (here it comes....) CHANGES to the Destination server if necessary.

So yes they have the code. Would be very shortsighted of Bioware to not develop paid transfers to their code while they were building the character transfer service.

Are you a programmer? Have you ever programmed anything before? I can tell you haven't. I on the other hand have and for what I did was just simple game which still was pretty complex to program for me since I am just a beginner. I can only imagine what it's like to program something such as MMOs and have it all correspond to a website (which also requires a variety of programming as well).

I am not saying BW can't get it done. They probably have but like everything else, BW is a business and not a business of it's own, meaning someone(s) owns it and takes charge of it. Therefore, to implement a huge change such as paid x-fers, I am sure they would need approval from a top executive(s) who isn't even housed in the same building or even city or state as BW company. And like 'Ive said before, BW are still working on other projects as well.

Edited by Aricus