The Importance of Player Feedback with the New Free-to-Play Option

CourtneyWoods

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Free to play members should not be limited on character customization like they are. It takes away from the role-playing aspect to be limited to the being just a plain human/cyborg with the only alien species available is Zabraks (available without spending Cartel Coins). They should have the same character customization that is available to a brand new subscriber making his/her first character as well. Also, they should be able to hide their helmet slot to their desire, show their legacy name, unify armor colors, quickbar amount, etc. All these restrictions to FTP customization are unnecessary to have.

Alot of people "rage quit" warzones if things aren't going their way (a problem in itself).

When a F2P player comes into a game half over it seems especially unfair since they only get 5 chances a week to play only to have it wasted because a selfish player wanted an easy win.

Free to play members should not be limited on character customization like they are. It takes away from the role-playing aspect to be limited to the being just a plain human/cyborg with the only alien species available is Zabraks (available without spending Cartel Coins). They should have the same character customization that is available to a brand new subscriber making his/her first character as well. Also, they should be able to hide their helmet slot to their desire, show their legacy name, unify armor colors, quickbar amount, etc. All these restrictions to FTP customization are unnecessary to have.

I agree that the restrictions in Free2Players seems largely arbitrary (almost as if Bioware felt they needed to have restrictions, but had no idea what they could restrict). Besides, Cyborg isn't a species, it's a technological addition to humans and shouldn't be treated as separate; ideally, cybernetics would be a customization slider on every species.

Also, player feedback important? Is that before or after they've ripped the patches apart on the PTS and you roll them out as is?

/agree

I understand the Legacy restriction. everything else you said I completely agree with. Also, reduced experience for non-subbers is not only frustrating, it's completely counter-productive. players having reduced experience fall behind in levels and when they can't access some flashpoints and warzones to make up for that lost experience, their experience will be tainted. SWTOR is the only MMO out there that actually has reduced experience for non subbers and I don't think that is a good, groundbreaking thing. I also understand the race restrictions, however, to be limited to human/cyborg and Zabrak only, is a bit overkill don't you think?

Honestly this fixes the main two problems I had with the free to play option- the character and skill limits. Everything else is primarily cosmetic in my opinion. Those two things allow free to play to be the full experience. Is it perfect? Maybe not, but I think it's incredible for being able to play a game like this for zero cost. Keep up the good work! Edited by DarkLordKvall
clarity

It seems that the only thing that is being listened to is free to play, which is strange cause I don't think they can post on the forums.

Hows about addressing things that have been on the forums since before free to play came out but seem to have taken a back seat because of re-structing then staff working on free to play and cartel items. A few things that it would be nice ot see.

Open world PvP (which is open to everyone not just people that have ground out war hero gear in warzones).

More End Game Content.

More Species. (not just a human with face paint you are calling Cathar)

More options in Character creation.

Full 3D space (not calling it Super Secret Space Project)

New Armour and Weapon Sets. (we have been on black hole for most the year)

Guild Captial Ships.

Mini Games.

Continuation of Class and Companion Story. (Hate to say it but for most people this is far more important than world story arcs)

Side Ways progression. I know very very hard and a major project but it would be nice to have an end game that wasn't just tougher and tougher bosses with more and more difficult mechanics.

So it would be nice to discuss what is being done for the people that have been here for a year and not just those free to play gamers.

/agree

I understand the Legacy restriction. everything else you said I completely agree with. Also, reduced experience for non-subbers is not only frustrating, it's completely counter-productive. players having reduced experience fall behind in levels and when they can't access some flashpoints and warzones to make up for that lost experience, their experience will be tainted. SWTOR is the only MMO out there that actually has reduced experience for non subbers and I don't think that is a good, groundbreaking thing. I also understand the race restrictions, however, to be limited to human/cyborg and Zabrak only, is a bit overkill don't you think?

You my friend are not correct there are plenty of free to plays that limit the speed of free to players. Its actually very common in the f2p industry

Over fifty toons is appreciated, thanks for that! :D

Now if Kira can properly put away her light-sword...

If Holiday could be see again during a fight...

If Vette could have the slave-collar permanently removed so I could have her in her dark blue skin... :cool:

Maybe I'm being dumb, but what on Earth does this mean?

This means that across every server, we were originally allowed to have 50 characters total. With 12 per server. Now, apparently, we can have more then 50 total characters in an upcoming patch. Who the hell has enough time on their hands to play 50 characters? Or more now...

While I am preparing a thorough post with my feedback about free-to-play, my main gripe is with the way flashpoints, operations and warzones are handled for non-subscribers. I can understand that those would be the main reason someone would subscribe after playing the game all the way through to 50 with a character, but this is an alternate way to handle it :

• Allow players access to all normal Tier 1 flashpoints.
  • Allow players to purchase access to normal Tier 2 flashpoints.
  • Allow players to purchase access to Heroic Tier 1,2 Flashpoints
  • Allow players access to all Tier 1 operations.
  • Allow players to purchase access to Tier 2 operations.
  • Allow players to purchase access to Tier 1 Heroic Operations.
  • Allow players to purchase access to Tier 1 Nightmare Operations.
  • Allow players to purchase a single Warzone for unlimited play.

Bundles could be made to include [Heroic Flashpoints] [All Normal Operations] [All Heroic Tier 1 Operations] [3 Warzone Pack] etc.

This would allow free players to experience the storyline of Operations and Flashpoints, while giving the option of paying a one-time fee to unlock content (like Section X for example). The weekly pass for operations and warzones never made much sense to me (in my opinion, a monthly pass would be a more logical choice).

It comes to reason that subscribers will always have the edge over preferred/free players, an option would be to allow purchasing newer Tiers of content after a certain amount of time (2 weeks/1 month) for preferred accounts. From an economical viewpoint, it makes sense that people who want to really put time in the game will subscribe, as it will be cheaper than buying all the content separately, but people who don't play fixed amounts of time (I may log in 5 times one month, and log in every day another), just straight-out buying the content I want to play will make me a happy customer.

A good idea would be after a certain amount of time to open the oldest content Tier (i.e. we are at Tier 4-5, open Tier 1) to free accounts. Most players (especially subscribers) will have little to no reason to run those instances anyway.

This system is modeled strongly after Age of Conan's shop system, which gave the option of either a subscription and full access, or limited access but the option to buy literally all the game's features (including heroics,raids, expansions etc.). I believe this will echo strongly to the people who are unwilling to pay a subscription because they play sporadically, but still want access to everything.

Edited by Alexbeav

It means that subscribers will basically be able to create an (almost) unlimited number of characters.

Awesome!

This means that across every server, we were originally allowed to have 50 characters total. With 12 per server. Now, apparently, we can have more then 50 total characters in an upcoming patch. Who the hell has enough time on their hands to play 50 characters? Or more now...

Do we know how many we can make per server? I don't cross servers but I'd like to have more alts :p

While I am preparing a thorough post with my feedback about free-to-play, my main gripe is with the way flashpoints, operations and warzones are handled for non-subscribers. I can understand that those would be the main reason someone would subscribe after playing the game all the way through to 50 with a character, but this is an alternate way to handle it :

• Allow players access to all normal Tier 1 flashpoints.
  • Allow players to purchase access to normal Tier 2 flashpoints.
  • Allow players to purchase access to Heroic Tier 1,2 Flashpoints
  • Allow players access to all Tier 1 operations.
  • Allow players to purchase access to Tier 2 operations.
  • Allow players to purchase access to Tier 1 Heroic Operations.
  • Allow players to purchase access to Tier 1 Nightmare Operations.
  • Allow players to purchase a single Warzone for unlimited play.

Bundles could be made to include [Heroic Flashpoints] [All Normal Operations] [All Heroic Tier 1 Operations] [3 Warzone Pack] etc.

This would allow free players to experience the storyline of Operations and Flashpoints, while giving the option of paying a one-time fee to unlock content (like Section X for example). The weekly pass for operations and warzones never made much sense to me (in my opinion, a monthly pass would be a more logical choice).

It comes to reason that subscribers will always have the edge over preferred/free players, an option would be to allow purchasing newer Tiers of content after a certain amount of time (2 weeks/1 month) for preferred accounts. From an economical viewpoint, it makes sense that people who want to really put time in the game will subscribe, as it will be cheaper than buying all the content separately, but people who don't play fixed amounts of time (I may log in 5 times one month, and log in every day another), just straight-out buying the content I want to play will make me a happy customer.

A good idea would be after a certain amount of time to open the oldest content Tier (i.e. we are at Tier 4-5, open Tier 1) to free accounts. Most players (especially subscribers) will have little to no reason to run those instances anyway.

This system is modeled strongly after Age of Conan's shop system, which gave the option of either a subscription and full access, or limited access but the option to buy literally all the game's features (including heroics,raids, expansions etc.). I believe this will echo strongly to the people who are unwilling to pay a subscription because they play sporadically, but still want access to everything.

No, no, a thousand times, no!

What you are saying is "all casual players should be able to be free-2-play and get all casual content" because they don't play very often? No way. If you want access to everything, subscribe.

No, no, a thousand times, no!

What you are saying is "all casual players should be able to be free-2-play and get all casual content" because they don't play very often? No way. If you want access to everything, subscribe.

No, I'm saying consider offering the option to purchase any content you're interested in experiencing, same as Section-X, with a time delay for new content for preferred players and even greater for free players.

Hey!!!!

So I usually just read on the forums, and this may be the wrong place for it. But playing since beta, I just started the BH class. And since y'all are wanting feedback, making improvements, things like that. How about some kind of Jet Pack Mount? I mean yeah they have a "Rocket Boost Ability" which last like 12 seconds. But I mean a real jet pack mount, just seems it would make play all the more awesome. And heck, you could jack up the price, but I am sure people, like myself, would pay for that kind of in game option. Just my two cents, so there it is. :cool:

Free to play people have no right to complain, they should be happy with what they at least have considering they spent all this money to make this game, the least you can do is repay them back by paying for they game so they can make it better and work on other projects. Too the people who made this game it is rather enjoyable! good job! I love the PvP in this game.

Hey!!!!

So I usually just read on the forums, and this may be the wrong place for it. But playing since beta, I just started the BH class. And since y'all are wanting feedback, making improvements, things like that. How about some kind of Jet Pack Mount? I mean yeah they have a "Rocket Boost Ability" which last like 12 seconds. But I mean a real jet pack mount, just seems it would make play all the more awesome. And heck, you could jack up the price, but I am sure people, like myself, would pay for that kind of in game option. Just my two cents, so there it is. :cool:

A jet pack mount wouldn't make sense if you thought about it, considering it probably has a limited fuel source.

Here is an answer to all the problems... Buy a sub

Your playing for free, expect restrictions

Cute :) If only being a business was that simple...someday you'll learn what it means to have "customers" and things you need to do to attract them. Demanding they buy your product, never works.

A jet pack mount wouldn't make sense if you thought about it, considering it probably has a limited fuel source.

Right, but wouldn't a speeder also have some kind of fuel source? I don't know I just figure that if you can use a speeder infinitely, why not a jet pack? i just think that would make the gameplay at least on the BH end all the better.