SWTOR Mobile Security Key app for Windows Phone 7?

ZeroPlus

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Probably my mistake but the fact that WP8 is not supported was not mentioned afaik from the Store page online, where you buy CC. Didn't know how it worked after I already bought it. Wasn't until I Goggled it that I found a page on swtor.com that mentioned that. Not sure how I would have seen that otherwise, could have missed a link.

Either way WP8 is needed. Until then I'll try the emulator mentioned earlier.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I must join the quest for a reply to this. I think one should not underestimate Windows Phone (7 or 8), seeing also that Blackberry seems to be on decline according to a cnn report (http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2013/05/16/windows-phone-surpasses-blackberry-for-third-place-in-smartphone-shipments/) and Windows Phone rises to 3rd place among smartphone OS'es.

I recently turned to Lumia 925 and Windows Phone 8, and while it has BattleNet authenticator and Windows authenticator that works with live.com, gmail.com and with guildwars 2, I still need the Android device, but only for unlocking SWTOR.

I really look forward to good news on this issue.

• 4 weeks later...

Being a Microsoft employee, I can tell you we have groups over here that play and a lot of us are grumbling for the security key app for the phone! You can't tell us it would take too long or a huge amount of resources to make. Windows phone teams have been more than willing to help. Come on, enough with the excuses and silence, give us our app! :rak_03:

Bob

Edited by bthresher

Hmmmm, yeah???

There are some subscribers that want this application. So if you add the fact that BW refuses to provide the physical security key to every country, then yes I think that they should just write the code and make it available to the WP community.

• 4 weeks later...
Is it really worth it to support windows phones?

This is not stats for SWTOR players. And as this thread shows, there are a lot of people who pay money and can't get this simple thing. This application is a matter of one week to develop if you familiar with XAML.

This is not stats for SWTOR players. And as this thread shows, there are a lot of people who pay money and can't get this simple thing. This application is a matter of one week to develop if you familiar with XAML.

I completely understand. BUT, you CHOSE to buy a phone that has 3% market share and hardly anyone makes apps for. You clearly didn't have app support in mind when you bought that microsoft ... uh ... product. So now you are going to cry because you can't get apps for it? Seems the proper solution is to buy an Android or Apple device if apps are so important to you.

Also, just because someone has the job title of Developer doesn't mean that they know every platform out there. BW probably doesn't have someone on staff that is familiar with development on a Windows Phone. At the company I work for, we have 2 devs that know Android, 1 that knows Apple, and none that know Blackberry or Microsoft phones. If we want to support those platforms, we need to hire someone else, and that costs money.

Edited by Glowrod

I would like to see a Windows Mobile Authenticator. Since I am one of many subscribers that want to see this hopefully they (BioWare/EA/SWTOR staff) will make it happen. As far as global adoption of Windows Mobile... Well I use Microsoft products as we all do. Windows is what my computer runs. I use Office365 for many of my tools. I also use SkyDrive... It is what I use. A game will not dictate my real world habits. I just replaced our 3 Android phones with 3 Windows phones. I don't like googles business practices, so I will tell them by not using their products. I am not an Apple fan. Thus Windows is what I choose. Right or wrong it is irrelevant (flame away right?). I am acutely aware that it costs money for C# programmers, however I am a customer and I would like to see it. Again hopefully SWTOR will make this happen. The more users that chime in asking for this, the more the powers that be - BioWare/EA/SWTOR will see there is a want/need for such an App.

• 3 weeks later...
I completely understand. BUT, you CHOSE to buy a phone that has 3% market share and hardly anyone makes apps for. You clearly didn't have app support in mind when you bought that microsoft ... uh ... product. So now you are going to cry because you can't get apps for it? Seems the proper solution is to buy an Android or Apple device if apps are so important to you.

http://cdn4.eyes4tech.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/IDC-Worldwide-Smartphone-OS-Share-2013.png

As far as I can tell (and any serious analyst as well), Windows Phone is destined to grow. I can tell you that in Italy it is one of the fastest growing markets, and it's getting chunks off of Android, iOS and (RIP) BB. The graphs you find all over the internet are biased towards android for one major reason - Android costs 0, so it's inside anything that needs a 0 cost os - including custom built products, very low level junk and those raspberry pis and their clones. Also, all the crappy tablets from china copy-makers come equipped with it, or stupid distros of it.

The real Android market is a much smaller share, that is why iOS is so strong, and that is why google won't allow a YouTube app to come out on the Microsoft market. it would definetly, definetly cripple them in the only market that counts - SAMSUNG.

I only believe that with the strong growth that the Windows Phone market has, given the low prices of some products and the above-par quality, both manifacture and software side, it would be reasoneable to consider an app for it.

The point to make in here it's not market share on the mOS side. It's the market share on the vg side.

To compare Blizzard to Bioware it's like if we didn't understand why the earth is not the sun. It's a matter of critical mass - the amount of money Blizzard moves is in the order of the hundreds compared to Bioware, even if there is EA foot in this. Still, Blizzard has a 10 years old game that gets "chars fingers" out and everyone screams to the miracle and they get 1 mill more subs. SWTOR polls well from the very entertaining world of SW and gets... Free players.

You don't get money for devving over, even just a small app, from f2p. The money 'they make will be just enough not to pull the project, pay server expenses and people's salaries.

if you want your phone app, get on the cartel market and start buying. At some point, the money will be there for it, and I'm certain Bioware will roll it out immediately.

Until then, tough luck to everyone, me as well (though I don't care).

• 2 weeks later...

Would REALLY like to see this happen.

I am not a huge Google fan and definitely NOT an Apple fan.

It would be nice to see a security key app for win8/RT and would require an extremely miniscule amount of time/effort to create one.

Please make it happen.

Thank you,

Jorm

For the love of galaxy, get an iPhone. Or a $5 physical security key. Or snow goggles omg

The quality of Windows 7 as it is? And you think I would want that on a phone? whewww no thank you

It's not really a matter of if "you" want that on a phone or not, it's for they playerbase that does.

You couldn't pay me to own an Apple product. But to each their own. Some people like spinach and some like peas. And there's nothing wrong with that. I just wish that they would give folks that use windows 8/RT the ability.

I own a phone with android on it but don't want to use that phone for security key.

Jorm

Would REALLY like to see this happen.

I am not a huge Google fan and definitely NOT an Apple fan.

It would be nice to see a security key app for win8/RT and would require an extremely miniscule amount of time/effort to create one.

Please make it happen.

Thank you,

Jorm

and how do you know how "miniscule" that amount of time really is? Not that it probably isn't a good thing. Simply stating its minor detail is an assumption. That and the actual number of users who may actually have a windows phone and not have access to any other device might also be minor. Nothing comes without a cost, and the benefit/cost of said work needs to be balanced.

and how do you know how "miniscule" that amount of time really is? Not that it probably isn't a good thing. Simply stating its minor detail is an assumption. That and the actual number of users who may actually have a windows phone and not have access to any other device might also be minor. Nothing comes without a cost, and the benefit/cost of said work needs to be balanced.

Less than a week according to coders that have offered their services to EA/Bio.

And it's a free app either way so a cost analysis doesn't really figure in to it. Unless you take into consideration time spent with customer service dealing with a hacked account.

It's not really a matter of if "you" want that on a phone or not, it's for they playerbase that does.

You couldn't pay me to own an Apple product. But to each their own. Some people like spinach and some like peas. And there's nothing wrong with that. I just wish that they would give folks that use windows 8/RT the ability.

95% of people who say they hate Apple products hate it for a reason other than its actual quality. By the same token, 95% of people who primarily use Apple products and dislike Windows products, dislike the Windows products exactly because of their low quality. It's all about how educated your opinion happens to be.

SWToR products on a Windows phone? That would be crazy! It's bad enough SWToR itself is only on Windows, and we all have to put up with the lesser quality because of it. It's debatable whether Windows ever actually improves significantly after being released. I'm running Windows 7 with the latest updates, and it seems to me to be shabby low quality (Internet Explorer especially).

Windows has earned a very solid reputation for being bargain basement quality for the first year of its next new release... whereas MacOS has always been the exact opposite, it always starts out high quality and stays that way.

Edited by anonnn