Imperial trooper

CommanderHotBot

Can you please add a imperial trooper to the DS its hard to see that u can get it from CE and you dont have the right armor to do it imp trooper will be awesome and maybe get some more people in :): so please put them in the ds classes seem abit not cool :eek: Please get the imperial trooper class on SWTOR starting planet korriban

I can pretty safely say it's not going to happen because it would require the developers writing an *entirely* new storyline just for that. Since the storyline creation is, honestly, the majority of the work for making a new class (writing, new models, voice acting, etc), it's doubtful the developers would do all of that *without* also putting forth the effort to develop a new class in its entirety to go along with it (since there are more people that want/would be willing to pay for a new class rather than a new story for an existing class). The opportunity cost is only marginally higher for the development of an entirely new class while the potential payout is substantially higher.

In short, it's not gonna happen because it's not worth it.

I can pretty safely say it's not going to happen because it would require the developers writing an *entirely* new storyline just for that. Since the storyline creation is, honestly, the majority of the work for making a new class (writing, new models, voice acting, etc), it's doubtful the developers would do all of that *without* also putting forth the effort to develop a new class in its entirety to go along with it (since there are more people that want/would be willing to pay for a new class rather than a new story for an existing class). The opportunity cost is only marginally higher for the development of an entirely new class while the potential payout is substantially higher.

In short, it's not gonna happen because it's not worth it.

I'm not so sure.

I mean, yeah, the story is the big cost as you would need all of the voiceover work in addition to making the missions, but adding Imperial troopers and smugglers, or Republic spys and Bounty Hunters is a request almost as old as the class structure itself.

I know that my dream class would be a Republic-aligned BH.

I do not need new mechanics; New mechanics could work against it. If I did not like how my hypothetical Republic-aligned BH played, then I would not enjoy playing it, and asking people to give them money before they could see how the mechanics work would be a possible turn-off as well.

It all depends upon the cost, of course, but I think that setting a price point between $5-10 would attract plenty of people.

It's just a matter of whether they think that they can produce the material for that cost.

It all depends upon the cost, of course, but I think that setting a price point between $5-10 would attract plenty of people.

It's just a matter of whether they think that they can produce the material for that cost.

It's not just a matter of cost, but also of demand. While people have been asking for alternate faction non-Force users, they tend to not realize that the story is the most substantial development cost (keep in mind that the developers would also have to rework all of the lines for *every possible quest that class could run* since even the world quests have different dialogue options for different classes) and forget that playing a BH on one faction isn't going to offer appreciably different game play compared to the other. I highly doubt that many people would be willing to pay $5-10 to play a class *that already exists* on a different faction. Most people that want it want it for free (since they either don't realize that it would involve a helluva lot of work to do or think they deserve it because they believe their $15 a month isn't doing enough for them). The demand might be present, but it's not likely to be present at the same level when there is a not-insubstantial cost attached to it (especially when said cost is likely the same as one would have to pay for an entirely new class).

As such, if you consider the cost of development for class crossovers compared to simply generating completely new classes and then look at the potential demand curves at the various prices that the developers would have to offer, the profit isn't going to be in crossovers. More people are going to be willing to pay more for a new class than a recycled trash, and it's little enough additional work to get that higher profit compared to the prospect of crossover classes. It also looks better from an advertising standpoint to release a new class than to have class crossover. Just compare the difference in reception between Shaman/Paladin cross-faction access and Cataclysm additional class options for races compared to the release of Death Knights and Monks: the former were viewed as things that should have been done long before and the latter have been viewed as amazing advances that legitimately drew positive attention.

In a game like TOR where classes and factions are so intimately intertwined thanks to the story driven nature of the game, the benefits to class crossovers just aren't worth the effort compared to what the same effort could generate focused on developing a new class. It's not like it *couldn't* happen. It's just that it's not the smart business decision and, as much as people are loathe to admit it (myself included), game development is a business and the developers have to make the smart business decision.

It's not just a matter of cost, but also of demand. While people have been asking for alternate faction non-Force users, they tend to not realize that the story is the most substantial development cost (keep in mind that the developers would also have to rework all of the lines for *every possible quest that class could run* since even the world quests have different dialogue options for different classes) and forget that playing a BH on one faction isn't going to offer appreciably different game play compared to the other. I highly doubt that many people would be willing to pay $5-10 to play a class *that already exists* on a different faction. Most people that want it want it for free (since they either don't realize that it would involve a helluva lot of work to do or think they deserve it because they believe their $15 a month isn't doing enough for them). The demand might be present, but it's not likely to be present at the same level when there is a not-insubstantial cost attached to it (especially when said cost is likely the same as one would have to pay for an entirely new class).

As such, if you consider the cost of development for class crossovers compared to simply generating completely new classes and then look at the potential demand curves at the various prices that the developers would have to offer, the profit isn't going to be in crossovers. More people are going to be willing to pay more for a new class than a recycled trash, and it's little enough additional work to get that higher profit compared to the prospect of crossover classes. It also looks better from an advertising standpoint to release a new class than to have class crossover. Just compare the difference in reception between Shaman/Paladin cross-faction access and Cataclysm additional class options for races compared to the release of Death Knights and Monks: the former were viewed as things that should have been done long before and the latter have been viewed as amazing advances that legitimately drew positive attention.

In a game like TOR where classes and factions are so intimately intertwined thanks to the story driven nature of the game, the benefits to class crossovers just aren't worth the effort compared to what the same effort could generate focused on developing a new class. It's not like it *couldn't* happen. It's just that it's not the smart business decision and, as much as people are loathe to admit it (myself included), game development is a business and the developers have to make the smart business decision.

Every class is already the same class on another faction.

I am not saying to run the BH story, only to run it for a character on the Republic side, I am talking about an entirely new class story for a character that comes from a different background than that same-faction character that shares the mechanics.

I would not be playing a BH caught up in the Great hunt, only working for the Republic on the side instead of the Empire, I would be playing a BH that had nothing to do with the great hunt. A bounty hunter that was working for and with the Republic while also pursuing their own unique story while travelling around the Republic worlds.

I would not be playing a smuggler trying to get the guy that stole his ship, I would be playing, perhaps, a pirate that was hired by the Empire to handle a situation with the Republic, and then that initial situation could blow up into something much larger.

Entirely new stories that people will want to investigate every bit as much as they want to check out the stories that exist now.

They could make those new stories simply be a secondary track for the existing classes, such as writing a second story for the troopers, but in the end the troopers would still be 'stuck' in the Republic, doing the same side missions and dealing with the same military structure.

I think that making a new story and crossing classes over into different factions holds more appeal.

There would still be two 'trooper' stories, but each faction would have one. Same for spies, and BHs, and smugglers.

We know that the Republic uses BHs and has agents. We know that the Empire uses smugglers and has troopers.

If they want to expand the game, it makes sense to expand it in a way that lets the players see the world through those characters' eyes.

Selling alien species skins might make them a faster buck, but it won't keep players around like actually adding new classes and stories will.

I am talking about an entirely new class story for a character that comes from a different background than that same-faction character that shares the mechanics.

I understand this. Apparently you do not understand me.

Playing the same class with a new story is not going to draw the same amount of money as an entirely new class with an entirely new story while costing only a marginal amount less. It's simply not worth it. The fact that an entirely new story would have to be written functionally increases the cost threshold to such an extent that it's simply not going to happen when there are substantially more profitable options that involve only a marginal increase in development cost.

Yes, story focused players would spend additional money to get access to a new story for an existing class, but not that many. For most people, the baseline story for a class is going to be enough if the only way to see the extra stories is to spend real money on them. The only "real" advantage that most people would see would be the ability to play a class on a faction other than its original (intended) one.

It's for the *reasons* people tend to spend money in F2P monetization models that it's not likely to happen. People are willing to spend money on cosmetic frippery, and the developers are willing to develop it because it's really, really cheap to do so (most of these cosmetic pieces represent maybe 40 work hours for a graphic artist at most; if it looks kewl, it'll sell for $1-2 on a real money market maybe 50000 times within a week of release; that's the entirety of the guy's salary for a year for a week of work; pretty much the rest of the guy's work for the rest of the year will be to support the engineers, programmers, and writers that don't have jobs that aren't as massively, directly profitable). Additional stories, when they're implemented in the manner that TOR has chosen to implement them with (voice acting, conversation options, active character movements, operable across a large number of levels, directly interacting with local quests) do not monetize effectively: prices would either be too low to generate an effective profit compared to its development cost or too high to attract buyers. Either way, the profit simply isn't present. For a product with a development cost as high as an entirely new story, the market needs to be substantially larger and the product substantially more attractive to generate profits to justify the expense. The best way to make the market larger and the profit more attractive is to attach an entirely new class with new gameplay and thematic underpinnings to the new story in its entirety. People are more willing to pay the $5-10 that would likely be asked if a new class is attached to the new story you're asking for and that means more profit.

Just because *you* would be willing to pay $5 to play a Bounty Hunter through a story that has you side with and work for the Republic or even just play through a different story that still has you take place in the Great Hunt does not mean that enough people would be willing to do so. The developers have to consider how to attract the most people with a product and providing a product where a new story is the *only* attraction isn't going to be an effective draw.

I'm not saying it's not going to happen *ever*. I'm saying it's not going to happen before a number of other things that are unlikely to occur happen first.

I understand this. Apparently you do not understand me.

Playing the same class with a new story is not going to draw the same amount of money as an entirely new class with an entirely new story while costing only a marginal amount less. It's simply not worth it. The fact that an entirely new story would have to be written functionally increases the cost threshold to such an extent that it's simply not going to happen is the *only* attraction isn't going to be an effective draw.

Exactly how much more interest do you think there is in an entirely new set of mechanics.

Because that is all that you are talking about. The only difference in a 'new' class and an existing class is mechanics and story.

So how many people do you think are lining up in order to play some entirely new mechanic set that they have never tried and have no idea how they would work?

I think that you grossly overestimate the number of people that want to spend money to see not only if they like the new class story, but if they like the new class mechanics at all.

There is nothing more to say here.

Edited by Mithros

• 5 months later...
Can you please add a imperial trooper to the DS its hard to see that u can get it from CE and you dont have the right armor to do it imp trooper will be awesome and maybe get some more people in :): so please put them in the ds classes seem abit not cool :eek: Please get the imperial trooper class on SWTOR starting planet korriban

I'll settle for making the Imperial Armor available for everyone via GTN. Recolor it, give us white or black, let the CE's keep their color variation, call it Elite, or w/e strokes their overinflated sense of self, and give the people what they want.