Make better use of Light side/Dark side

DarthWoad

Im currently Dark V. I haven't come across any piece of equipment at end game which can only be used by Dark V players. The story has had no affect on my character end game either.

There should be dark side and light side abilities. Maybe one for each rank. This will further increase uniqueness with players.

fully agree!

i loved the idea of Dark side and Light side at the release of the game but then they started to allow everyone to use different color crystals and now armor from CC.

i would think a cosmetic appearance like more option for dark side corruption etc...

There is the Legacy Unlock ability called "Sacrifice" for being Dark V.

Light V has "Unity" I think.

Other than that, the only reason to be of any alignment is to use relics while levelling. Some of the weapons you get for turning in planetary commendations have alignment tied to them, but there are enough weapons in game that you can just use an unaligned weapon the whole way.

I think it would be nice if the light / dark alignment had a similar role as in the KotOR games, albeit toned down.

Light / dark alignement should perhaps affect your weapons / skills; the closer you are to light, the more effective your non-lethal skills (healing, CC, shield) are, the closer you are to dark, the more effective your damage skills are.

It couldn't be as big an impact as it had in KotOR, as that could introduce balance issues, but a minor tweak of say 0.5% increase in effectiveness per level, with an equivalent decrease in effectiveness in the non-favoured skills.

It would perhaps make people more mindful of their alignment in terms of the role they wanted to play on their AC.

I think it would be nice if the light / dark alignment had a similar role as in the KotOR games, albeit toned down.

Light / dark alignement should perhaps affect your weapons / skills; the closer you are to light, the more effective your non-lethal skills (healing, CC, shield) are, the closer you are to dark, the more effective your damage skills are.

It couldn't be as big an impact as it had in KotOR, as that could introduce balance issues, but a minor tweak of say 0.5% increase in effectiveness per level, with an equivalent decrease in effectiveness in the non-favoured skills.

It would perhaps make people more mindful of their alignment in terms of the role they wanted to play on their AC.

As soon as you start adding anything resembling this, it will become the standard of play...

EVERY healer will run Esseles/Black Talon until they get Light V.

EVERY dps will run until they get Dark V.

Suddenly, its not a bonus to some players, its just the way the game goes.

Personally, I'm a little disappointed there's so much cosmetic stuff for Dark side, but nothing for Light. You get to Dark I, and your eyes change. Then you start looking pale, then wrinkly... not sure where it goes from there, but I'm sure its further and further Undead-ish.

Light I-V, nothing happens. No halo, no aura, no nothing... at best, you can get the new Cartel eyes, and make them glow yourself, for a few seconds at a time.

As soon as you start adding anything resembling this, it will become the standard of play...

Personally, I'm a little disappointed there's so much cosmetic stuff for Dark side, but nothing for Light. You get to Dark I, and your eyes change. Then you start looking pale, then wrinkly... not sure where it goes from there, but I'm sure its further and further Undead-ish.

Light I-V, nothing happens. No halo, no aura, no nothing... at best, you can get the new Cartel eyes, and make them glow yourself, for a few seconds at a time.

But hey, at least the players arent standing around on fleet being bored. It will give people something to do, it will encourage more group content (if they do the same as social points, more darkside/lightside points the more people you are with).

That did occur to me as I was typing it, that's why I put the benefits / cost as low as 0.5% / level. My orignal thought was much higher numbers and I realised that would seriously screw things up.

Some gameplay value to the alignment would be nice, even if only minor. Otherwise it's just another fluff thing and not really that relevant, since the Dark/Light V relics and such aren't that special.

What they could do would be replacing certain powers with their light/dark counterparts, so that for example Force Stasis would become Force Choke or Project would be replaced by Lightning (and vice versa for Sith going light). That would at least give some meaning to the choices beyond the ability to equip relics and a couple of lightsabers.

What they could do would be replacing certain powers with their light/dark counterparts, so that for example Force Stasis would become Force Choke or Project would be replaced by Lightning (and vice versa for Sith going light). That would at least give some meaning to the choices beyond the ability to equip relics and a couple of lightsabers.

Except Force Lightning is exclusive to the Sith Inquisitor Class

Add neutral stuff. Players shouldn't be punished for playing, say, a Smuggler or Bounty Hunter that is doing just what they think is best regardless of it's moral alignment.

That's just it, though. You don't always have a neutral choice in what is already in the game. If you just choose some light and some dark, you're not really being neutral, you're being chaotic.

In beta there used to be dark and light gear and they looked bloody awesome but they got purged during the great beta armor set purge.

Many armor sets that people really liked was removed during that period that was a very sad day for many beta testers.

That's just it, though. You don't always have a neutral choice in what is already in the game. If you just choose some light and some dark, you're not really being neutral, you're being chaotic.

I don't think it's chaotic. Just because my Smuggler doesn't mind a little illegal trading doesn't mean he supports drug use. Just because he wont take bribes easy doesn't mean he wont find it more practical to launch at rocket at the enemy fleet instead of the moon.

Maybe it's a bit more chaotic for the force sensitive characters, I haven't played one yet. But there were Grey Jedi in KOTOR even.

I don't think it's chaotic. Just because my Smuggler doesn't mind a little illegal trading doesn't mean he supports drug use. Just because he wont take bribes easy doesn't mean he wont find it more practical to launch at rocket at the enemy fleet instead of the moon.

Maybe it's a bit more chaotic for the force sensitive characters, I haven't played one yet. But there were Grey Jedi in KOTOR even.

Yeah those grey jedi where still lightside BTW if you clearly look at jolee meter if you could apply a rank to jolee he would be light 1-2.

Being a grey jedi does not mean being smack in the middle they still serve the light but they don't agree with everything the council does.

Yeah those grey jedi where still lightside BTW if you clearly look at jolee meter if you could apply a rank to jolee he would be light 1-2.

Being a grey jedi does not mean being smack in the middle they still serve the light but they don't agree with everything the council does.

I was only making the point that they exist, like I said in that same post I don't know anything about whether the jedi appear chaotic or not. I haven't played them.

But Neutral fits a Smuggler very well, often times you may just be picking the more sensible solution. Turning in a senator who admits to rigging the vote doesn't make it more surprising when my smuggler encourages people on Taris to keep fighting the Rakghouls because they are demonstrably not capable of negotiation.

The whole light/dark system in this game is extremely lacking. It has a feel of being done in a hurry and at the last minute. Most of the L/D choices in flashpoints don't do anything to add into the actual story, they all seem to be slapped in at the last minute. The gear that is specific to L/D levels is very few and pretty much worthless in the end game. The only thing you really have as a reward is the two speeders that are sold on the fleets.

Will they flesh out the system? At this point I highly doubt it. Most of the updates you will find in the future for the game will most likely be stuff added in to the cash shop to make you spend money.

Im currently Dark V. I haven't come across any piece of equipment at end game which can only be used by Dark V players. The story has had no affect on my character end game either.

There should be dark side and light side abilities. Maybe one for each rank. This will further increase uniqueness with players.

agreed! i would love to see this implemented

I think this would work if you made it something like force sensitivity for light and price of power for dark. By that I mean that these would give you lower ability costs (light) and higher damage/heals (dark) but you would also mean you take more damage from force attacks (light) and have less HP (dark). This would prevent DPS/Heals from going too far down the line if they want to raid and give those who stay neutral a small defensive edge for their troubles.

Except Force Lightning is exclusive to the Sith Inquisitor Class

And consulars are the inquisitor's mirror class, so where's the problem? The abilities are direct mirrors of eachother, so exchanging them when a character of the appropriate class hits a certain dark/light status would make sense as the character's connection/attunement changes.

They have been talking about minimally supporting grey alignment players for a long time. James Ohlen was quoted as saying that grey alignment was close to his heart and was trying to figure out as way to implement it. Not sure if they've given up in the mean time. And yeah BH and smuggler are two stories where grey make a whole lot of sense.

Perhaps they can simply make alignment powers based on how many alignment choices one has made, and there are certain thresholds as to where the ability appears dark, grey or light side? This would make sense for force classes at least... don't know about tech classes. There isn't exactly such thing as a dark side or light side grenade.

The legacy powers may be the only thing we get out of this facet.

I like how they were able to give us some powers through legacy and keep them from becoming required for certain builds. They made it so these abilities can only be active with heroic moment, and/or can only be used while a companion is present.

Adding more abilities isn't a bad thing as long as they keep with the limit of companion required.