trouble sticking to a class.

raegon

Ok, so this is my second day back since about 3 weeks after launch, and I am having a hard time sticking to a character.

here are my problems

1: i have bad reflexes with the keyboard, and i am usually a clicker, but i have been learning to use keybinds, and this gives me a very hard time in pvp, in any mmo.

2: I am never happy with a character, i am ok usually until i try pvp, and get slaughtered.

right now i am playing a sith marauder, and it's cool and all but i am having a hard time with all the abilities, and he is only level 12 and have not even tried pvp yet.. Can anyone maybe help me pick a class based on my limited skills? in wow believe it or not my main for years was a rogue, before that a hunter. It took me about 2 years to fully learn to keybind with my rogue.

So am i doing wrong by laying a sith marauder? all i want to do is do a full storyline, get to 50 and have some fun. I have always preferred ranged as opposed to melee, and i love stealth. should i make some sort of agent/smuggler?

sorry if i don't make sense, please try to help, lmao.

A lot of people claim that for an EZ Claz, ply faceroll pyrotech. I tend to have a low opinion of anyone who uses the term faceroll.

I recommend staying out of PVP until at LEAST level 20, unless you feel confident or have a friend to team up with. For some classes, even higher. While your damage will be up to scratch even at 10, you'll be lacking a lot of the utilities that other people have, such as snares, defensive cooldowns, and (in the marauder's case) gap closers. As you pick up new abilities and skills, you start to get the edge over the average PVP'er.

If your reflexes aren't that great, then I think sniper is a good choice. Long range gives you time to react to incoming hostiles (unless they have stealth), and the casts give you time to plan your next move.

Always spec marksmanship at the start, until you can go deep enough into the skill tree you want that it contributes. Basically, until you can get Cull from lethality, or EMP Blast from engineering. Engineering is pretty simple: Pick a target, drop explosive probe, and then hammer them till they drop. You get a lot of AoE potential in this spec, but that's at the cost of less frequent burst, and it takes a bit of precision to get the energy management down.

Marksmanship is capable of cranking out serious single target damage, and switches said targets pretty easy. The catch, though, is that pretty much all of it is ranged energy damage, so it suffers from tank mitigation quite a bit. It may or may not be the spec for you, as it relies on a proc (triggered by critical snipe and series of shots, it reduces Ambush cast time) and a powerful, situational attack, follow through. Said attack can only be used shortly after ambush, snipe, or takedown.

If I've totally missed the point, then by all means, tell me, and tell me what I should be telling you about.

Edit: Noticed that you also wanted information about marauders.

The thing about marauders, is that they have two resources to manage instead of one. They have Rage, which is the same as warriors and juggernaughts, but they also have fury. It's a little complicated, I'll get to that later.

The simple thing about rage, is that if you don't have enough, you can't do any damage, but if you have too much, you might be wasting potential damage. Battering Assault builds 6 rage, so if that comes off cooldown when you have more than 6 rage, you're getting something wrong with your rotation.

Fury, is built by using abilities that consume rage, or by finishing off enemies. With the right skills, you can increase the amount it builds at (annihilation spec) or gain fury from being attacked (carnage spec). Fury does nothing for you until you get 30 stacks, after which it will not build anymore. When you get 30 stacks, you can activate one of three abilities:

• Predation: Speed boost, and a minor defence boost, to everyone in your group nearby
  • Bloodthirst: Damage boost to everyone in your group nearby
  • Beserk: Depends on your form.
    Shii-Cho form will give you 12 rage over the next few seconds, so you had better be burning rage through them
    Juyo form will make your bleed damage a 100% crit chance, for 6 ticks. It also heals every ally (and you) in range for 1% of their total health.
    Ataru form is being changed soon. At the moment, it reduces the rage cost of slash, massacre, and cyclone slash by one, and reduces the GCD for said attacks. This means that in the time it takes for someone to use two attacks, you can fit in three of these attacks. After 2.0, it's going to lose the rage reduction, but apply the effects to all attacks except force choke and ravage.

Now the trick to Marauder (and possibly why you're having trouble with it) is that it's a high-mobility spec. You have the least number of ranged attacks, and plausibly the lowest amount of gap closers. In a fight, the only time you aren't killing something, is when you're closing the distance on your next target. There's really no other choice, everything is about the hunting and killing with marauders, and it can take some pretty good reflexes and intuition to play one right.

Annihilation spec is about the Juyo form, and the bleeds. I think it's also sort of the marksmanship of the marauder, you have to spec this at the start until you can get to the useful stuff in the other trees. It's probably the worst spec for PVP, because any class with a physical cleanse can shrug off most of your damage, it has a pretty steep ramp up time, and if you can't build rage, you're pretty much dead weight. I've lost many times to a good merc, because they simply don't let me get in range.

Carnage spec is about the Ataru form. In fact, it's the only way to get said form. People like it in PVP because of the massive boost from predation (90% instead of the normal 50%) but it has a bit of a damage issue. To be precise: they get the gore ability, which gives them 100% armour penetration for a few seconds. If someone is watching, they just hit you with a stun when you hit gore, and they've shut you out of a lot of your potential damage. The upside? That carnage has a ton of roots, one on ravage (which is an incredibly powerful channel on its own) and one on crippling throw, which reduces healing recieved. Carnage may not have as much damage, but it makes up for that with utility and armour ignoring burst.

Rage spec is the shared tree, and apparently people prefer it on juggernaughts because they have better utility. On a marauder, it focuses on the Shii-Cho form, and smash. A lot of smash. In fact, the spec is pretty much about building up to the heaviest hitting attack in the game, a rage smash. It works like this:

Force Charge or Obliterate guarantees the next smash will be a crit.

Force Choke, Force Crush, or Beserk(when specced) all increase the damage of the next smash.

Most of the filler attacks reduce the cooldown of smash.

See? A lot of focus on smash. Very few people on the forums will disagree that rage is an overpowered spec, and yet it looks like not much is going to be done about it. Juggernaughts are considered superior, as they get a lot more skills that can (a) be used at range, and (b) close the gap easily, but Marauders are considered to have superior defensive cooldowns, so it's a flip of a coin which will win.

Edited by ekimmak

A lot of people claim that for an EZ Claz, ply faceroll pyrotech. I tend to have a low opinion of anyone who uses the term faceroll.

I recommend staying out of PVP until at LEAST level 20, unless you feel confident or have a friend to team up with. For some classes, even higher. While your damage will be up to scratch even at 10, you'll be lacking a lot of the utilities that other people have, such as snares, defensive cooldowns, and (in the marauder's case) gap closers. As you pick up new abilities and skills, you start to get the edge over the average PVP'er.

If your reflexes aren't that great, then I think sniper is a good choice. Long range gives you time to react to incoming hostiles (unless they have stealth), and the casts give you time to plan your next move.

Always spec marksmanship at the start, until you can go deep enough into the skill tree you want that it contributes. Basically, until you can get Cull from lethality, or EMP Blast from engineering. Engineering is pretty simple: Pick a target, drop explosive probe, and then hammer them till they drop. You get a lot of AoE potential in this spec, but that's at the cost of less frequent burst, and it takes a bit of precision to get the energy management down.

Marksmanship is capable of cranking out serious single target damage, and switches said targets pretty easy. The catch, though, is that pretty much all of it is ranged energy damage, so it suffers from tank mitigation quite a bit. It may or may not be the spec for you, as it relies on a proc (triggered by critical snipe and series of shots, it reduces Ambush cast time) and a powerful, situational attack, follow through. Said attack can only be used shortly after ambush, snipe, or takedown.

If I've totally missed the point, then by all means, tell me, and tell me what I should be telling you about.

Thank you very much, I kind of figured that should be the class i stick to, i also tried a bounty hunter yesterday, and at launch and it was pretty cool. I just checked out the sniper i made at launch, level 12, and made me remember all the cool skills they have, going to try him out tomorrow ;-)

thanks again, more opinions welcome.

Thank you very much, I kind of figured that should be the class i stick to, i also tried a bounty hunter yesterday, and at launch and it was pretty cool. I just checked out the sniper i made at launch, level 12, and made me remember all the cool skills they have, going to try him out tomorrow ;-)

thanks again, more opinions welcome.

Check my earlier post for a breakdown of marauder.

Personally, I've played all the advanced classes, so I have a good opinion on each. What I haven't done, is play every spec, and most certainly not every spec in pvp, so most of my opinions are PVE biased.